• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

I just woke up~

an- what the 360 > PS3?!? :eek:

CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* (360) |Nov-09| 4.20M
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* (PS3) |Nov-09| 1.87M
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII (WII) |Nov-09| 1.39M

Reggie am cry??

wait is it me or is NSMBW sold better in Japan?? wow

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Xellos said:
Well that about wraps it up for (non-shovelware) third party games on Wii.

Reflex sold pretty well for what it was and how it was marketed.

RBH

360 outselling the PS3 this month is one of the more surprising events I can remember from any NPD in quite awhile imo.

PS3 just seemed to have the momentum with the new Slim model, the price drop, the terrific marketing campaign, the great Black Friday bundles, and then out of nowhere, 360 steals the spotlight and returns to 2nd place. I mean, with the way that MS has been phoning it in this holiday season (in comparison to previous holiday seasons), this might have been Sony's best shot at beating MS during any holiday season this generation. And now as a result of this month, MS seems to be back in a good position now, as they still have Natal, another price drop, and a potential slim 360 in the pipeline within the next year.

schuelma said:

I think he was talking about the railshooters. Though perhaps thats even more bizarre that he expected them to sell. :lol

Rabbids Go Home is a different story, but Ubisoft did say sales were picking up. Uncoincidentally, I've started to see TV ads around the same time they said that.

Shurs

schuelma said:

Exactly. It's port of a two year old game. And its sequel is receiving nearly all of the mindshare. It shouldn't be expected to set the charts ablaze.

markatisu

schuelma said:
What will be interesting is what they write next month when the Wii most likely beats its Dec. 2008 number.

Something along the lines of even a fantastic month cannot reverse the downward spiral for the year.

It will be interesting to read since unless something catastrophic happens it should be #1 in all 3 major regions

Its also like nobody knows anything about sales, COD WaW on Wii sold shitty in November of last year and did REALLY well in December. I would think the same will happen this year. Wii publishers might have finally learned the big software push for the platform seems to be December so why waste money in November when its not really needed

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OldJadedGamer said:
Sony paid for exclusive advertising with Assassin's Creed II and it sold nearly double on the 360. The Ass Creed commercials even ended with the "It does everything" and "$299" tags.

Sony comarketed AC2. They did not pay for exclusive advertising. There are AC ads that mention the 360.

MW2 has no ads that mention the PS3 at all.

stupei

Wii and DS
Ep4BillSookieSmiles.gif

PS3 and 360
Ep4EricPhoneLa.gif

--

Any chance we'll get numbers for Dragon Age on PS3, or did I miss them already somehow?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dabanton said:
Agree. People expecting Final Fantasy XIII to sell like say a MW2 are going to be very disappointed indeed.

Especially in NA.

Very very sad :(

What the fuck happened to American tastes in these last few years? I remember when an FF game was a big event... and people actually played stuff that looked "Japanese". I played one of the COD games, I think it was the first Modern Warfare (the one with the nuke going off), and still don't see why these games warrant 6 million+ in sales.

Bizzyb

Banned
markatisu said:
Something along the lines of even a fantastic month cannot reverse the downward spiral for the year.

It will be interesting to read since unless something catastrophic happens it should be #1 in all 3 major regions

Its also like nobody knows anything about sales, COD WaW on Wii sold shitty in November of last year and did REALLY well in December. I would think the same will happen this year. Wii publishers might have finally learned the big software push for the platform seems to be December so why waste money in November when its not really needed

That was only AFTER they decided to market the game and run TV ads. Activision is officially treating Reflex as though it doesn't even exist. Don't expect any real hike in sales, if any at all.

djtiesto said:

What the fuck happened to American tastes in these last few years? I remember when an FF game was a big event... and people actually played stuff that looked "Japanese". I played one of the COD games, I think it was the first Modern Warfare (the one with the nuke going off), and still don't see why these games warrant 6 million+ in sales.

Because it's "the game to get" this year. It's a social thing. It is an event. Don't get me wrong, the game is fun, quality stuff, but the sales volume are telling a much different story. In high schools, college campuses and offices across the country all of your friends demand you get it, and if you don't have an HD console you need to get one, and then MW2 or you officially suck at life, and people will start to question your sexuality...or something like that.

I really hope Bioware cleans up with ME2....DA:O numbers aren't too hot and the way EA has been cleaning house lately really scares me. I felt for some time now that DA:O looked a little too traditional to really make a giant impact in 2009 and although it charted, these numbers would have me to believe that gamers have had their fill with that style of gameplay and aesthetic if it isn't in MMO form. Hope it did good on PC.

markatisu

Bizzyb said:
That was only AFTER they decided to market the game and run TV ads. Activision is officially treating Reflex as though it doesn't even exist. Don't expect any real hike in sales, if any at all.

Oh there will be an uptick but mainly from Christmas, I do not personally think it will be as high as COD WaW's Nov-->Dec increase.

You could think they would add at least a promo or something during the MW2 ads, like Also on the Wii MW Reflex or something
I really hope Bioware cleans up with ME2....DA:O numbers aren't too hot and the way EA has been cleaning house lately really scares me. I felt for some time now that DA:O looked a little too traditional to really make a giant impact in 2009 and although it charted, these numbers would have me to believe that gamers have had their fill with that style of gameplay and aesthetic if it isn't in MMO form. Hope it did good on PC.

Did you miss the dance of joy EA was doing this morning over selling 1m pieces of DLC for Dragon Age, I hardly think they are disappointed.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Wow at the MW2 numbers

I can't believe the PS2 is still selling like hot cakes, craziness.

djtiesto said:

Thank god, JRPG's need to stay in JPN bring on the fables, oblivions, fallouts and Bioware franchises

Talon

Holy shit. Just got on the net after getting off the flight.

4.2 million for 360 MW2?

360 beat the PS3?

There must have been meltdowns in this thread.

Has there been much talk of the PSP numbers? Is anyone mentioning GO sales separately anywhere?

Those are HORRIBLE numbers. It barely outsold the PS2. PSP is really falling apart sales-wise.

RBH

Talon- said:
Holy shit. Just got on the net after getting off the flight.

4.2 million for 360 MW2?

360 beat the PS3?

There must have been meltdowns in this thread.
It's been quite an entertaining thread. :)

Fredescu

Liara T'Soni said:
I really hope Bioware cleans up with ME2....DA:O numbers aren't too hot and the way EA has been cleaning house lately really scares me.
Not sure where that's coming from, DA:O numbers are fine. ME2 will outdo it easily though of course.

danielijohnson said:
Has there been much talk of the PSP numbers? Is anyone mentioning GO sales separately anywhere?

Those are HORRIBLE numbers. It barely outsold the PS2. PSP is really falling apart sales-wise.

Yeah, psp sales are abysmal. Even with psp go, it has failed to spark psp sales as a whole. The psp platform is down a whopping 45% year over year.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
benjipwns said:
Well, that's because it's best experienced on the Xbox 360. (Source: Best Buy ad.)
Haha. Well, I think it's an important distinction. Microsoft did a fantastic job "owning" this game-- they had their logos on this game at every press event, they secured exclusive DLC, and they had their product exclusively marketed with this game.

AC2 had a Sony campaign and an Ubisoft one. The Ubisoft campaign ends with the review scores of the game and then the boxes of both. So it's not a straight comparison, but I would suggest that--if you really wanted to take control of a property-- you do what Microsoft did.

Betting on the DUDEBRO set with MW2 is very smart.

BowieZ

Banned
soldat7 said:
A mediocre Mario Kart selling like this means a) we won't see another Mario Kart this gen and b) when we do get another, it will likely be mediocre.
What's mediocre about Mario Kart Wii? Are we allowed to bump the MKW thread to discuss?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Liara T'Soni said:
clashfan said:
Is DA sales enough to warrant a sequel?
Well, EA seems to think so:

VG247 said:
More than 1 million pieces of Dragon Age: Origins DLC have now been sold, EA boss John Riccitiello’s told NBR.

“We said that Dragon Age… sold really, really well, and actually did a million pieces of downloadable content already, which is an astonishing outcome,” said the exec.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2009/12/09/dragon-age-sells-over-1-million-pieces-of-dlc/

You have to consider the PC version also in all this. The PS3 version could have sold quite well and not shown up in the top 10 also.

Wallach

stupei said:
And they've planned years of DLC, right? Or am I remember that wrong?

They said they have a plan that goes out around 2 years, though I doubt we will see it actually go out quite that far with any consistency.

Still, the DA:O numbers are just fine. Will easily clear 1m and is making a lot of money off DLC. Sequel is basically guaranteed.

Zen

Banned
stupei said:
And they've planned years of DLC, right? Or am I remember that wrong?

But it's Bioware we're talking about. They always talk about how amazing and expansive their DLC will be(and it never ever is).

kswiston

Liara T'Soni said:

Mass Effect's first month was only 470k. As long as the PS3+PC versions of the game equaled at least 110k combined, DA:O either equaled that number or beat it. December should also make for a good second month.

see5harp

Karma said:
This. How many here would rebuy a 360 slim?

It's the only reason I haven't bought an more efficient HDMI system or elite. That and I'm thinking that my old school 20 gig is indestructable. I've had it vertical on carpet for years now. :0

stupei

Zen said:
But it's Bioware we're talking about. They always talk about how amazing and expansive their DLC will be(and it never ever is).

Based on how crazy EA was with all the launch DLC items, I'm hoping it's a sign that they've realized there is money to be made there and will actually insist on attempts to maintain some sort of schedule.

DR2K

Banned
danielijohnson said:

SCEA hasn't done shit with the PSP. When was the last time PSP got a price drop?

OnPoint

TunaLover said:
Does Nintendo will continue stack trucks of money on the Iwata swiming pool, or they will go a little more agressive the next time around? It's clear that they don't get behind warchest wise.

This was my favorite post so far.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
djtiesto said:

I noticed this trend started in the Middle of the PS2 Generation. It seems many Japanese games don't sell as well. I still buy Japanese RPGs, but all the big selling Rpgs seems to be made in the west this gen. Taste have really changed since the SNES/Genesis, and PS1 days.

AniHawk

Nintendo Co. led the U.S. video- game market to its eighth drop in nine months after sales of the motion-sensing Wii console tumbled, narrowing its lead over Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox 360.

Unless they mean PS3 and 360 combined, that's not how math works.

Top Bottom