• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

mujun

knitoe said:
Shock 360 > PS3. Thought Microsoft was crazy to keep price same as PS3. They prove me wrong.

What happen to all "I'll buy PS3 after being banned because offer better value, free multiplier and so on..."

Ironic!

And I won't miss Tormentoso :D

Strike

Firestorm said:
How about adding this to the first post. You know, the only post that users are required to read on this board? Banning users because they didn't read the 24th post on the 12th page is ridiculous. Stop making up rules to ban people by. It's impossible to keep up with all the rules you come up with. No other admin or mod does this to as large an extent as you do.
Yeah, I think we've had our fun.

FrankT

So can we say that in this short time span MW2 is the fastest selling game of all time?

US=~6.1 million first month
UK=~1.9 million first week

8 million right there. 10 million+ sell through easily in the month WW.

Pachter's 18 million or whatever in the first year looks like nothing with these kind of numbers out the gate.

Kunan

Bizzyb said:
3rd parties aren't going to give any real effort (and probably never planned to) when they can just bank on a million selling HD game (with blood and guns of course) esp with no Mario to compete against
Wii 3rd party sales are pretty meh, but you're also overlooking something huge. They may not have to compete with Mario, but they have to compete with the 3rd party heavy hitters. People seem to think that the huge sales of the HD games in the top 10 suddenly mean that developers will make bank there. The only games making bank are the biggest of the biggest heavy-hitters, like the Nintendo games on the Nintendo systems. The rest of them are limping in sales and fading into obscurity.

Firestorm said:
How about adding this to the first post. You know, the only post that users are required to read on this board? Banning users because they didn't read the 24th post on the 12th page is ridiculous. Stop making up rules to ban people by. It's impossible to keep up with all the rules you come up with. No other admin or mod does this to as large an extent as you do.

or how about people don't say the first stupid thing that comes to mind? That's a rule everyone should understand without being told.

Firestorm said:

Actually, you're supposed to at least skim the entire thread before posting. An automatic one month ban "for not reading the OP" happened because people weren't even doing that much.

Nekofrog

Banned
I wonder if Sony still fully believes that it was worth sacrificing the PlayStation brand name in the near monopoly it had in gaming mindshare for bluray.

'Cause man, the drop in prestige is not something that is going to go away fast.

A friend of mine just bought my girlfriend and I a PS3, but it's probably going to be relegated to the exclusives-machine like Nintendo machines of days past. The 360 will still be primary for us.

starsky

Wow impressive sales all around. I didn't expect 360 beat PS3 by 100k...

Wow at MW2. It's a MONSTER!

And I approve of the banning/fishing. If there's a thread to be wary of, it's the NPD threads.

Dragona Akehi said:
Actually, you're supposed to at least skim the entire thread before posting. An automatic one month ban "for not reading the OP" happened because people weren't even doing that much.

That's kinda impossible in an NPD thread :p 3 more pages appear before you're done with a single one :lol

jcm said:
I'm not trying to discredit NPD or anything, but "accounted for" implies a level of precision that doesn't exist. NPD guesses how much Walmart sells. I'm sure their guess is much better educated than you or I could do, but it is just a guess.

NPD guesses at what 90+% of individual store units in the country sell. It's not so much that I disagree with you as that it strikes me as also basically applicable to the idea of trusting NPD numbers in the first place.

Speevy said:
I'd like to know what's the biggest ban minefield in neogaf history. Has to be the Epic Mickey thread.

DQIX to DS had a huge bodycount too. Though Epic Mickey does have the advantage of having two different double-digit ban sprees separated by like a month.

jcm said:
I think the number of new GAF members next month will be much higher than expected, because of all the bannings.

:lol

Wait, it's page 26 and people are still getting banned for that? :lol :lol

_Isaac said:
I don't understand why everybody expected the PS3 to sell better than the Xbox 360. Was there a cool new game coming out?

PS3 had a price drop + redesign, huge marketing, beat the 360 in September and October, had a big exclusive in Uncharted 2, very likely outsold the 360 during Black Friday, and Patcher + EEDAR both predicted the PS3 would sell more.

Also no one expected the 360 to sell 810k considering November usually doubles from October and the 360 sold 250k last month.

soldat7 said:
A mediocre Mario Kart selling like this means a) we won't see another Mario Kart this gen and b) when we do get another, it will likely be mediocre.

We won't see the next Mario Kart till Wii 2 but if Pachter's right it's fall 2010.

Arpharmd B said:
Last year you could get 360's for 199,299,399. and PS3's for 399,499.

This year you can get 360's for 199,299,399 and PS3's for 299, 349.

Sony came with a real price drop whereas 360 did nothing but add value to the skus (which Sony did too).

Like I said, that's not aggressive at all that's called phoning the shit in. And they still won! Incredible if you ask me.
The problem is the disconnect where people try to separate software library and software features from the hardware when looking at value of the platform in apples to apples sales value proposition. It's why those silly comparison charts of features and price ended up never mirroring what the majority went with. If appeal could be formulated through numbers, we'd see a very few loser platforms ever. A platform is more than just hardware and its features. Live is a pretty massive positive, despite the rejection it might cause the platform to deal with from some. If anything, Live continues to prove its worth as a continual boost to the visibility of new titles and to the sense of community that acts as an engine for connection to everyone else on X360 and for educating and informing its audience. It's very powerful marketing tool.

Firestorm said:
Actually, I think it's good to try and catch people for perpetuating unfounded and plainly stupid thinking on the board. Their fault for not reading the thread before posting and their fault for saying something totally stupid. Ignorance is no excuse for being stupid, right? Six month vacations, however, are kinda harsh.

_Isaac

vicissitudes said:

PS3 had a price drop + redesign, huge marketing, beat the 360 in September and October, had a big exclusive in Uncharted 2, very likely outsold the 360 during Black Friday, and Patcher + EEDAR both predicted the PS3 would sell more.

Also no one expected the 360 to sell 810k considering November usually doubles from October and the 360 sold 250k last month.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for responding. I wasn't aware of most of that.

FrankT

vicissitudes said:

Not true, and don't listen analysts.

Month-on-month

PlayStation 2 +72.4%
PlayStation 3 +121.6%
PSP +68.3%
Xbox 360 +228%
Wii +148.6%
Nintendo DS +271.5%

Drastic difference from YOY perspective.

Dragona Akehi said:
I don't even do that. I don't have time for that. I don't see anything wrong with what Firestorm is saying, and the entire practice is asinine.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Speevy said:
I'd like to know what's the biggest ban minefield in neogaf history. Has to be the Epic Mickey thread.
charlequin said:
DQIX to DS had a huge bodycount too. Though Epic Mickey does have the advantage of having two different double-digit ban sprees separated by like a month.
Ironically the latest banned 360 thread had a pretty high body count too. Thought that was mostly pirates trying to justify their misdeeds.

WasabiKing said:
I don't even do that. I don't have time for that. I don't see anything wrong with what Firestorm is saying, all the entire practice is asinine.

Well you should. Lord knows the crap I have to read in every thread. :p

I was a caught a bit off guard by the PS3 sales, but everything looks to be in line. Wii sales are nice and MS did a wonderful job marketing the 360 for the winter. I hope we can get some other numbers for the top twenty or thirty. I want to see how Darkside chronicles has done.
Dragona Akehi said:
PS: We can read your edits.
I'm just gonna bookmark this for future reference...

RBH

Reading this thread, page after page, and seeing posters unknowingly cause themselves to get banned one-by-one is absolutely hysterical. :lol

timetokill said:
kaz_sends_psp800.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

Lunchbox

Banned
every ad featured the 360 logo and "jump in" at the end, bestbuy and walmart ads were telling people that the 360 was the best way to play Mw2, every sales paper had a 360 standing next to the copy of the game.

who says 3rd party exclusives are dead. MS' marketing strategy is fantastic. it promotes the game and helps them push systems at the same time. even though Mw2 was a multiplat game, it basically acted like a exclusive for their platform.

sony needs to adapt this style for big games like this in the future.

MightyHedgehog said:
Actually, I think it's good to try and catch people for perpetuating unfounded and plainly stupid thinking on the board. Their fault for not reading the thread before posting and their fault for saying something totally stupid. Ignorance is no excuse for being stupid, right? Six month vacations, however, are kinda harsh.
You want to ban people on an internet message board for comments you think are stupid? Yeah, that seems like a great idea. Might as well shut the whole board down.

Somnid

Dragona Akehi said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381926&

But yeah, these threads move fast and get huge so no user just stepping in can reasonably scan that much. I wouldn't expect more than the first two and last two pages from anyone. Just give a shout in the title.

Firestorm

Dragona Akehi said:
So instead of banning for one month for not reading the OP, you're banning 6 months for not reading post #594? I try to skim threads before posting, but that's a bit much. Incidently, I didn't skim the entire thread before posting in this thread. I was on my phone and did what I always do when I'm on Mobile GAF: Read the first page, last page, and then if I had a short comment, posted.

Speaking of which, I couldn't post this because of that, so to everyone who took this seriously:

6 mil is nothing. Final Fantasy XIII is quite possibly the most anticipated game of all time after all.

I say:

GameGamer

Dragona Akehi said:

Skim 1,300 replies (at the time of this post) to comment on OP numbers?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
MightyHedgehog said:
The problem is the disconnect where people try to separate software library and software features from the hardware when looking at value of the platform in apples to apples sales value proposition. It's why those silly comparison charts of features and price ended up never mirroring what the majority went with. If appeal could be formulated through numbers, we'd see a very few loser platforms ever. A platform is more than just hardware and its features. Live is a pretty massive positive, despite the rejection it might cause the platform to deal with from some. If anything, Live continues to prove its worth as a continual boost to the visibility of new titles and to the sense of community that acts as an engine for connection to everyone else on X360 and for educating and informing its audience. It's very powerful marketing tool.

Here's your 360 vs PS3 mystery solved right here, coupled with the MW2 bundle and the commercials that made MW2 seem like it was 360 exclusive ( I think it was a Wal-Mart ad in particular that billed it as such)

I'm guessing MW2 brand recognition and power to the casual audience was woefully underestimated by most GAF users. MW2 may be the one exception to that Luke Smith rule, maybe sometimes multiplatform games can be system sellers.

WasabiKing said:
I don't even do that. I don't have time for that. I don't see anything wrong with what Firestorm is saying, and the entire practice is asinine.

NPD is full of stupid fanboy bullshit with usual-suspects types from all three camps every single month. We don't get enough information to have well-informed debates or to effectively call people out on many forms of bullshit, and almost universally some insipid meme rises to the top and everyone repeats it page after page regardless -- or perhaps because -- of how dumb it is.

Sending people to the land of wind and ghosts for posting dumb shit is a good way to weed out terrible posters and also to make the thread more entertaining for the people who don't just say whatever dumbness they can put together in their rush to post in the thread.

lyre

Firestorm said:
Spewing "360 only sold that much is due to all the banned consoles from Live" still counts as spewing stupidity, which is bannable.

Stop bitching about the thread (which is also bannable).

People don't skim threads before posting? I try to do it at every opportunity, lest I say something redundant, pointless, or stupid.

I wonder what DS software sold this month.

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

Top Bottom