• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

Dabanton

BenjaminBirdie said:
What the FUCK?

Left 4 Dead 1.5?!?!

What is this garbage?

Good lord what a grotesque misdescriptiality.

From when he posted this

vicissitudes said:
Well this NPD thread just ruined my day.

I think I'll go hide in the Media Create thread for a while...at least the PS3 is still #2 there. :(

well you know what your dealing with.

Son of Godzilla said:
PS3 has only had 5% growth YoY?
Yeah. Keep in mind that through July it was down 32%, though.
YoungHav said:
With all the Wii Fits out in the wild is there any evidence Wii owners are getting healthier?
They seem to be multiplying pretty quickly.
Speevy said:
See, this is what I've always said. How can any console maintain that kind of shelf presence and monthly unit sales for as long as the PS2 has?
I theorize: due to cheaper/simpler production of discs, it's more feasible for companies to take advantage of continuing smaller sales on a disc-based console than on earlier consoles. This gives PS1 and PS2 the advantage over leading consoles that came before. PS2 hardware gets to take advantage of this continuing software presence more than PS1, though, because with a fully BC successor that launched at $300 and was under $200 a couple years later, there was less reason for people to go for the PS1 hardware.

MechaX

AniHawk said:
Rabbids Go Home > LittleBigPlanet PSP > Darkside Chronicles > Extraction (LTD)

Reflex beat Conduit's first month.

Before I voice my snarky-yet-unoriginal opinion of the Darkside Chronicles situation, how long was it out for this NPD?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
MechaX said:
Before I voice my snarky-yet-unoriginal opinion of the Darkside Chronicles situation, how long was it out for this NPD?

11 days I think?

TheKingHasReturned.jpg

WrikaWrek said:
I'm sure its blazing down 3 million.

What makes you think Uncharted 2 has sold 3 million? Last month it sold 500k and this month it didn't hit the 10 ten with #10 being 315k units so even if it's #11 at 314k units, that still does not break a million in the US. Now while it did better in Japan than UC1 did, it didn't really set the charts on fire. Maybe both the US and Japan together MAYBE push the number over a million and that is best case scenario. You saying that Europe sold 2 million copies in two months? You got a link or source that doesn't involve your butt?

caliblue15 said:
Alright, my last word. Not only was it the promotion for $99, and the 6 free games, but the Multiplatform advertising of MW2, and many other titles. These advertisements misinform potential customers, making them think said game is only on said console. Microsoft is notorious for this, and their money in this advertising has done well. Most customers are confused when I tell them said game is on all consoles, and then actually step back and make a decision based on which one is better for them. Problem is most retailers don't care as long as they sell the damn boxes this time of the year, so people think what they want.

Microsoft advertising is genius this generation.

Sony paid for exclusive advertising with Assassin's Creed II and it sold nearly double on the 360. The Ass Creed commercials even ended with the "It does everything" and "$299" tags.

schuelma said:
I enjoyed UC for what it was but I just couldn't justify spending 50 dollars on basically the same type of game with a bit better graphics.
It was the camera that did it for me, not to mention if I'm going to drop money on a rail shooter at launch I'd rather save my pennies for a less cynical effort like Sin and Punishment 2.

Seeing the huge numbers MW2 dragged in, can we say it was a good thing so many other high profile titles were moved to Q1 2010? What do people think of the MW sales-cannibalization theory?

And what would november have looked like with Splinter Cell, Bioshock 2, Red Steel 2, Dark Void,
Star Cra... ah, there was no chance in hell that was coming this year.

swerve

Did Iwata kill Bloomberg's first-born or something?

Nintendo Drags U.S. Video-Game Market Lower as Wii Sales Slump

Nintendo Co. led the U.S. video- game market to its eighth drop in nine months after sales of the motion-sensing Wii console tumbled, narrowing its lead over Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox 360.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601204&sid=aS9eSMcatcJM

How do you narrow your lead by selling more? I don't really understand the maths.

I mean, sure, they didn't beat last year. But they beat every other of their years ever, right?

tenritsu

Banned
soldat7 said:
A mediocre Mario Kart selling like this means a) we won't see another Mario Kart this gen and b) when we do get another, it will likely be mediocre.
Shut the fuck up. Seriously, shut the fuck up.

Mario Kart Wii is an awesome game, shut the fuck up.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Could we get a Band Hero and Lego Rock Band comparison? They both came out on the same day so I'm curious as to which sold more. Thanks.

legend166

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Seeing the huge numbers MW2 dragged in, can we say it was a good thing so many other high profile titles were moved to Q1 2010? What do people think of the MW sales-cannibalization theory?

And what would november have looked like with Splinter Cell, Bioshock 2, Red Steel 2, Dark Void,
Star Cra... ah, there was no chance in hell that was coming this year.

I'll get back to you once we finish Q1 2010.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
Finally caught up.

I just want to say one thing...

"This one time, my buddy Keith said there was no way Left 4 Dead 2 was gonna be as big as the first and I was all --"
"Ellis? It's NPD day?"
"Okay."

WAY TO GO, MY LITTLE GOTY!!!
*high-five

swerve

tenritsu said:
Shut the fuck up. Seriously, shut the fuck up.

Mario Kart Wii is an awesome game, shut the fuck up.

Yeah, for me MKWii is undoubtedly the best in the series, if only for the worldwide tourneys.

And I got SMK on launch day when I was 14 so I've got all the nostalgia attached to that one. It's just, MKWii is *more fun*.

swerve said:

How do you narrow your lead by selling more? I don't really understand the maths.

I mean, sure, they didn't beat last year. But they beat every other of their years ever, right?
Predictable. I'm pretty sure the Wii causes cancer and molests children too, or is at least indirectly responsible when these events occur.

tenritsu

Banned
Archie said:
Could we get a Band Hero and Lego Rock Band comparison? They both came out on the same day so I'm curious as to which sold more. Thanks.
Relatively certain that Lego Rock Band sold more but I'd like to see some solid numbers too.

Banned
Dunlop said:
Here's the warning for those who do not want to look. Gotta agree with Firestorm, 6 months is a little crazy for a hidden post over people arguing something that is at least remotely plausable.

Trigger happy mods aside, looks like great sales for all consoles
poor PSP
. Can't wait to see decembers numbers.

It is also plausible that the pirates bought PS3s instead. Many said they would. Plausible but not probable. Just stupid to think the pirates made any difference one way or another.

kswiston

Very impressive sales for both versions of MW2. I was expecting closer to 4.5M combined. 6M is unreal.

While 4.2M on the 360 is of course the number to talk about, I am really impressed by how much the game sold on the PS3. First month for Modern Warfare 2 (Ps3) was 421% of COD4's first month and 313% of COD:WaW's first month. That's a pretty huge increase for the series.

First month for the 360 version of MW2 came in at 269% of COD4's opening and 298% of WaW's opening (WaW on 360 had Gears 2 to compete with).

Good to see Dragon Age selling well on 360. I'm sure that, with PS3 sales and PC sales, it at least equaled Mass Effect's first month on 360.

Ulairi

Banned
Chrange said:
CoD4's sales charting in NPD:
November - 1.57 million (360), 444k (PS3)
December - 1.47 million (360), 500-613k on PS3
January - 330.9k (360), 140k on PS3
February - 296.2k (360), 99.9-161.8k on PS3
March - 237k (360) (first month not in top spot) ~153k on PS3
April - 141k on 360
May - 360 version charted 11th, no number available.

Modern Warfare 2 outsold the first SIX MONTHS of sales for CoD4.

MW2 will be very front loaded. The media reports will talk about it being the best selling game of all time (Hi! David ellis) and then they won't report it when the game sees a huge drop off of sale compared to the long tail the firt title had.

Mark it.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Ulairi said:
MW2 will be very front loaded. The media reports will talk about it being the best selling game of all time (Hi! David ellis) and then they won't report it when the game sees a huge drop off of sale compared to the long tail the firt title had.

Mark it.
I agree.

MW2 would be doing well to get 1m next month.

onipex

I expected 360 > PS3. I think the only thing selling the PS3 was the slim model and price cut. The 360 sells because of software even if it is not exclusive.

Good numbers all around though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
People shouldn't get so upset. It doesn't matter who beat who, all three consoles did really well, good times for everyone.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
swerve said:

What will be interesting is what they write next month when the Wii most likely beats its Dec. 2008 number.

Rad-

It really is surprising 360 came out on top. They had their 100 bucks off deal, which helped a lot sure, but still, their black friday bundles were brutally bad.

Now what kind of numbers would've they pulled if they actually had Sony like bundles for the friday? Most likely crossed 1 million easily.

Also MW2 360 does incredible numbers. L4D2 does a bit better than I expected as well, nice bump from L4D first month sales. Good to see DA chart as well, even though it's more of a PC game.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Nintendo Co. led the U.S. video- game market to its eighth drop in nine months after sales of the motion-sensing Wii console tumbled, narrowing its lead over Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox 360.

lost for words.

legend166

Speevy said:
You can say what you want about Uncharted 2's lack of appeal, its genre, heck even the console it's on. But to suggest that the game isn't a significant step up from its predecessor is baffling to me.

If Uncharted was a nice looking attempt to capitalize on other shooters, Uncharted 2 completely justified the franchise's existence. The set pieces and action sequences put other current gen. games to shame.

For fear of a "thatsthejoke.gif", the dude is talking about Umbrella Chronicles.

kswiston

user_nat said:
I agree.

MW2 would be doing well to get 1m next month.

If next month wasn't December, I would not only agree, but I would say that MW2 would be lucky to do 750k on the 360 in month 2. Halo 3 only managed 440k in its second month.

However, big titles receive huge boosts in December. Halo 3 sold as much in December as it did in October and November combined back in 2007. COD4 and Assassin's Creed had very small drops from their debut months and Super Mario Galaxy actually went up.

MW2 will hit 1.5M in December on 360. Possibly 2M.

MikeE21286 said:
I would put large amounts of money on no chance in hell.

I don't have any historical data on this, but I would say that there is not likely any precedence for a franchised (i.e. not-new-to-the-generation) IP to sell more in it's second game on a console than it's first.

And Halo 3 sold 3.3 million it's first month NPD. Just saying......unlikely.....
Yeah...except for...you know....Modern Warfare 2. The very game that you're touting.
Seriously, have people learned nothing from the past? You're doubting Halo? HALO?!

Hell, at the end of the day it might fall short of MW2's initial launch, but to outright dismiss is so damn foolish. Bungie's last hooray. Most likely the last Halo game on 360. And Microsoft will advertise the 360 like never before and Reach will definitely be the biggest game of the year come next fall.

Also, its baffling to me why people don't understand that consumers buy a shit load of more stuff in November/December compared to the rest of the year. Halo 3 came out in September to 1/3 the user base in 2007 and did 3.3 million, MW2 came out in November and did 4.2 million.

When Microsoft launch Halo 2 in November, it broke every record out there. But they released Halo 3 in September to get it out of the way for big 3rd party releases.

Wow at all of this, only expected the MW2 sales. I thought the PS3 would have outsold the 360 because of the price drop? I mean it pushed me into buying one. Glad I didn't ban bet that one! :lol

Speevy

Banned
legend166 said:
For fear of a "thatsthejoke.gif", the dude is talking about Umbrella Chronicles.

Oh crap I didn't realize that, people are liberally using UC2 to stand for Uncharted 2, I thought UC was Uncharted, my bad.

Woah...where is Uncharted 2? This makes me sad... :--(

legend166 said:
Can anyone tell me how much The Beatles: Rock Band sold in November?

Not sure when the game came out but a thread on GAF just said it hit 1 million units total.

legend166

permutated said:
Woah...where is Uncharted 2? This makes me sad... :--(

Not sure when the game came out but a thread on GAF just said it hit 1 million units total.

It came out in September and I think that was a worldwide figure. I'm interested in seeing if it got a boost due to holiday sales.

Shurs said:
Hold up.

The 360 outsold the PS3?

Wow. I didn't see that one coming.

Your pre-edit was fine. Many thought the PS3 would outsell the 360 this month due to all the great PS3 bundles over BF, MS being super weird about their BF sales, and the momentum from the previous month. I know I was shocked when I first saw the numbers.

I was up in the air about December but I seriously thought PS3 had it in the bag for November.

soldat7

TunaLover said:
Does Nintendo will continue stack trucks of money on the Iwata swiming pool, or they will go a little more agressive the next time around? It's clear that they don't get behind warchest wise.

2v2yzxg.jpg

unomas

Banned
MW2 is still going to sell big on both consoles in December, I don't care how "front loaded" it supposedly is, there will be plenty of consoles sold during December and MW2 will probably be purchased with many of them.

I'm not shocked by UC2's lack of showing, it's a great game, but it was competing with both MW2 and Assasin's Creed on PS3.

PS3 did great, but MW2 was advertised as pretty much an exclusive for the 360, the limited edition console was the icing on the cake. The momentum has shifted towards the PS3 in general, look at the YOY numbers. The 360 is a great console, but MS needs to do more to hold back the change in momentum. Splinter Cell is a nice ace in the hole for the spring.

Shurs

OldJadedGamer said:
Your pre-edit was fine. Many thought the PS3 would outsell the 360 this month due to all the great PS3 bundles over BF, MS being super weird about their BF sales, and the momentum from the previous month. I know I was shocked when I first saw the numbers.

I was up in the air about December but I seriously thought PS3 had it in the bag for November.

I couldn't comfortably fit in an appropriate sentence to go along with the gif which encapsulated my reaction when I first opened the thread. Though it's not as if I care one way or the other, these threads only become bothersome when people preach doom and gloom. With that being said, the PSP is in trouble.

Top Bottom