• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

am i the only one who feels that MS didnt deserve to take november? sony finally turned it up and did everything right from the price to the marketing to actually having some decent games out there, shit an almost perfect game and MS still wins. Now if MS actually tried this holiday then ok but dude, thye price sucks, the value compared to the ps3 sucks, besides the COD tie ins their marketing has been pathetic this fall. Yeah sony has seen the bigger benefit seeing their increase in YoY sales but i cant help but feel that they deserved to be on top. as well as they did they'll still be seen as 3rd place. I for one congratulate them on being the only ones who truly did it right this fall. Here;s hoping they take december.

On the other hand many MS did do it right by holding their price steady and saving their war chest for a HUGE natal push next year. If so they better release a slim with some wifi action or something. atleast make the box a better value.

four-two

Banned
LosDaddie said:
Yeah, I thought I was underestimating a bit there.

Regardless, REACH has an excellent shot of topping Halo3's sales. Saying otherwise is just, well, just fucking silly. :lol

2010 is the Gamepocalyspe, holydays season of the next year is gonna be packed of great games, Rage, Brink, the new Battlefield and the Natal... i think this is the true rival for Reach.

jcm

LosDaddie said:
IMO, the whole business thought process of "Our product's sales need to increase YoY every year to be a success" is fundamentally flawed.

From an investor perspective it makes perfect sense. A company is making $x profit per year, and the share price is $y. If I buy the stock at $y, and I want to make a profit on my investment, I need one of two things to happen. Either the company grows its profits, leading to an increase in share price so I can sell at y + z, or they pay dividends, and I pocket them and sell at y.

Nintendo's current stock price is based on their current profits and current growth trend.* Investing in a company whose profits are shrinking tends to be a really bad idea.

This is the reason that Bloomberg keeps writing stories that upset Nintendo fans. Bloomberg's audience cares much more about the trendline than the actual numbers. You're either growing or dying.

* This is somewhat simplistic, as stocks are often under- or over-priced.

four-two said:
When you look the number of MW2 on the PS3 you can only come to a conclusion: People buy PS3 just to watch movies on Blue-Ray Disc.

Is pretty sad when you think to Uncharted 2, what a waste of talent...
What is wrong with the PS3 performing a primary function that Sony advertises it as (a Blu-ray player)?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Another thing people need to stop doing - doubting the 360's November blockbusters.

From Gears, to COD4, to Gears 2, now MW2, EVERY damn year GAF underestimates the sales of the biggest 360 title of the year.

With the way 360, LIVE, and FPS sales in general are going, I wouldn't be surprised if Reach sold over 4.5-5 million units in a month, just in the US. Halo 3's LTD is beyond that already, what reason would people have to wait if MS pitches it as the sequel to Halo 3, like MW2 is to COD4?

New 360 owners are by and large still buying into the existent online communities because of the social nature of LIVE. This helps the heavy hitters more than anything, especially the heavy hitters released that particular month. I would not be surprised if the next GTA game and Gears 3, for example, opened even higher than GTA4 and Gears 2.

By next November I think it would be well over triple, at least in the US. The attach rate won't scale linearly of course, but it will outsell Halo 3, anyone can quote me on that.
Except next November Halo:Reach will be no doubt up against Call of Duty:The Newest One.

WasteLand Soldier said:
am i the only one who feels that MS didnt deserve to take november? sony finally turned it up and did everything right from the price to the marketing to actually having some decent games out there, shit an almost perfect game and MS still wins. Now if MS actually tried this holiday then ok but dude, thye price sucks, the value compared to the ps3 sucks, besides the COD tie ins their marketing has been pathetic this fall. Yeah sony has seen the bigger benefit seeing their increase in YoY sales but i cant help but feel that they deserved to be on top. as well as they did they'll still be seen as 3rd place. I for one congratulate them on being the only ones who truly did it right this fall. Here;s hoping they take december.

On the other hand many MS did do it right by holding their price steady and saving their war chest for a HUGE natal push next year. If so they better release a slim with some wifi action or something. atleast make the box a better value.

Why? This month shows they didn't have to do a thing and they still beat out a competing console that has been touted by every metric as a better value. They're pulling a profit, why would they add those things?

poppabk said:
Except next November Halo:Reach will be no doubt up against Call of Duty:The Newest One.

It probably won't be a Modern Warfare, though.

WasteLand Soldier said:

Yes. You are the only one who feels that way.

four-two

Banned
tzare said:
so selling half the games with half the install base leads you to that conclusion?

However, it is pretty obvious that PS3 userbase is less shooter centric overall, maybe because it has many different 'type of gamers', as 360 are more genre centric.

I dont now... i got a strange felling... when you look all this number, all this consoles sold you expect to see more more games purchased.

How many PS3 are out there? What are they playing on that machines?

poppabk

Dax01 said:
?

September 25th: Halo 3's release date.
September 22nd: Halo 3: ODST's release date.
Sorry I don't keep up with release dates, I assumed from what I was responding to that Halo:Reach was releasing in November and was one of the "November blockbusters" we shouldn't write off.

thuway

PopcornMegaphone said:
What's with all the Uncharted 2 obituaries? The game is doing really well, particularly when you compare it to other PS3 exclusive performances like R2.

Its GAF stupidity. Just like we were stupid enough to believe that 360 + MW2 would be outsold by PS3 slim.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Isn't Party Chat driven by packed in headsets? Sony can add Party Chat, but they have to start bundling headsets with consoles too. One won't work without the other.

I agree. However, its one step forward to herd mentality. People buy games based off what their friends buy and social experiences.

ZAK

WasteLand Soldier said:

If it makes you feel any better, MS didn't win. Nintendo did.

PopcornMegaphone said:
What's with all the Uncharted 2 obituaries? The game is doing really well, particularly when you compare it to other PS3 exclusive performances like R2.
Yeah, and a game of that quality will have sustained sales. Just look at the first Uncharted. U2 is the kind of game that first comes to mind when somebody asks you what PS3 games are good. That and Demon's Souls ;-)

WasteLand Soldier said:

How/Why do you think Microsoft pulled it off?

YoungHav

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Your mom was a better game but I don't have to bring it into sales-age.
No need to be an internet dickhead over it. Just say "you can't talk about game comparisons in a sales thread" and be done with it.

One thing I think GAF tends to overestimate is the impact of limited quantity door buster console deals and we underestimate is the power of the 360 holiday pack in games. I know most on GAF don't think much of Pure and Lego Batman, but if you're an average shopper they can heavily weigh your decision. Particularly if the system is a gift because you don't feel like you have to buy a game. It's easy one stop shopping.

Averon

PopcornMegaphone said:

Anything that isn't in the top ten is seen as a failure. Been that way for a while. Silly, especially when UC2 was #1 last month and is on track to significantly outsell UC1.

tzare

four-two said:
I dont now... i got a strange felling... when you look all this number, all this consoles sold you expect to see more more games purchased.

How many PS3 are out there? What are they playing on that machines?

what do you mean. MS sold more consoles than sony this month, they have two times the installed base. So that fits perfectly those games sold: double games on the platform with double userbase.

Ps3 owners play many games, in my friend list almost nobody is playing MW2. They play other games. However on my XBL friend list MW2 is more often played, but other gamers aren't.
As i said i see PS3 owners less FPS centric as 360 ones. Obviously as someone said before, playing BRD is one of those things PS3 also does, so a fraction of its owners may choose a movie or some movies instead of a game.
I also read that most ps3 were bundled with games. They also might play those games.I don't know.

Eighthours

So we now know the answer as to whether the Slim marked a turning point in PS3 fortunes against 360 in the States, strictly in terms of "winning": it was a blip.

However, it's not bad news for Sony at all, as they're still tracking way above where they were, with an attractive machine which has a lot of potentially killer titles coming in Q1 2010. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the machine jumped above 360 more regularly next year, although I doubt it will do much to properly close the sales gap. With all the cards dealt until the motion controller war next year, 360 is cemented in a clear second place in the US and it would take an awful lot (over a very long period of time) to change it.

It's also clear that Xbox Live is far more of a draw in the States when it comes to multiformat versions of FPS games than it is in Europe. Although MW2 did sell a lot more on 360 in the UK, the percentage gap was nowhere near the crazy gulf in the States.

Worldwide, with PS3 selling like gangbusters in Japan now and ahead in Europe as a whole (the UK's the holdout there), the worldwide sales gap is showing signs that it could close fairly quickly. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sony and Microsoft are pretty much even-stevens before this generation is out. In one sense, that's a big disappointment for Sony (if we flash back to before PS3's launch, when most people assumed it would automatically crush the 360), but given the disastrous first couple of years of the console, it's a decent recovery.

Much to cheer for all 3 manufacturers in this set of NPDs.

JGS

Banned
LosDaddie said:
IMO, the whole business thought process of "Our product's sales need to increase YoY every year to be a success" is fundamentally flawed.

That's the only thing that makes sense in the videogame business model. All 3 consoles makers should look for ways to increase demand and have their products increase YOY.

Console sales could do this if they weren't front loaded for losses and if there was an equivalent MW every quarter or year.

Wii's pent up demand last year is skewing things for this year which is sad considering how great the sales were for this "down year."

YoungHav

Banned
tzare said:
so selling half the games with half the install base leads you to that conclusion? However, it is pretty obvious that PS3 userbase is less shooter centric overall, maybe because it has many different 'type of gamers', as 360 are more genre centric.
360 doesn't have half twice as many units out in the wild as PS3. Has more but it's not double. Sometimes the PS3 attache rates boggle me and I've come to that same conclusion that some people use it moreso for the bluray player. The 360 shooter factor probably comes into play too but some PS3 exclusives should sell more when you think about the amount of systems out there.

poppabk said:

Comparing WaW's sales to COD4's or MW2's, you can pretty much tell that while the Call of Duty fanbase is very casual, it's not as mindlessly stupid as Activision would like to believe. Gears 2 outsold WaW in November 08 despite the huge increase in mindshare from the original Modern Warfare.

COD7's November 2010 sales will probably be an incremental increase over COD5's, no where near MW2 or Halo Reach's launch.

2011 will probably be the last big holiday for the 360, with Gears 3 vs Modern Warfare 3 going H2H, and Epic would need a miracle to not get doubled up.

Mithos

Gold Member
Neuromancer said:
Yeah it'd be nice for developers to realize the US fought in wars other than WW2. Personally I think a Korean game would be interesting.

Maybe the American civil-war, North vs South?

gerg

Stumpokapow said:
I did post this earlier in the thread but I don't know why anyone bothers to post anything insightful in NPD threads since it's drowned out by garbage. MW1's LTD should be somewhere from 4.9-5.2 million on the 360 and somewhere from 2-2.2 million on the PS3 depending on extended legs. It's possible either falls slightly outside this range if seriously weird stuff happened in the last few months, but unless someone with full NPD figures posts the exact numbers, these are acceptable ranges.

So what are people expecting from MW2? Will it be the most front-loaded game of all time, or has the fanbase for the series expanded considerably?

Anyhoo, three million for the Wii in December is a shoe-in. At this rate it will essentially perform in line with last year's numbers. I wonder if it can get nearer 5.5 million.

CoD: MW 2 4200k 19 16.49m 25.5%
Halo 3 3300k 12 6.19m 53.3%

Compare Halo 3 to MW2...

Halo Reach will easily, EASILY top Halo 3, and I expect it to top MW2 as well - especially if it is on salle for more than 12 days.

Depending on Reach's marketing campain, and what MS is doing with Natal, breaking 5 million would not be out of the realms of possibility

For arguments sake let's just say that 360's install base is at 20 million by the time reach comes out, which is lowballed... lets say that Reach only get's an attach Rate of 20%.

That's 4 million straight with lowballed attach rate and lowballed install base.

25% attach rate = > 5 million.

Unless the Halo franchise suddenly plummets, Halo Reach will be a MONSTER.

szaromir

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Comparing WaW's sales to COD4's or MW2's, you can pretty much tell that while the Call of Duty fanbase is very casual, it's not as mindlessly stupid as Activision would like to believe. Gears 2 outsold WaW in November 08 despite the huge increase in mindshare from the original Modern Warfare.

COD7's November 2010 sales will probably be an incremental increase over COD5's, no where near MW2 or Halo Reach's launch.

2011 will probably be the last big holiday for the 360, with Gears 3 vs Modern Warfare 3 going H2H, and Epic would need a miracle to not get doubled up.
Predicting sales based on names only is pretty silly IMO. Let's wait and see what titles like Reach, GoW3 or whatever bring to the table before you predict their sales. You can perhaps guesstimate 1st month sales (but even then you can be far off, a lot of people expected L4D2 to bomb), but beyond that is silly - I don't think the biggest games on HD consoles are as frontloaded as people say, with (for example) GOW1 or Modern Warfare having excellent sales for months after their release.

tzare

YoungHav said:
360 doesn't have half twice as many units out in the wild as PS3. Has more but it's not double. Sometimes the PS3 attache rates boggle me and I've come to that same conclusion that some people use it moreso for the bluray player. The 360 shooter factor probably comes into play too but some PS3 exclusives should sell more when you think about the amount of systems out there.

it is almost double. So MW2 sold a little over that double ratio. Other games, sold below that ratio. It depends on the genre, usually FPS do better on 360 (borderlands last month) and other games do better considering install base on PS3.
I see no real differences there. Nothing strange i mean. Obviously 360 sells more.MOre systems, more users, more games.

EXGN

LMAO, GAF is great, I love all the Nostradamus predictions month after month. Last month, the PS3 fanboys were celebrating the return of the king because it outsold Microsoft by ~100K. This month the 360 fanboys get their revenge by calling the PS3 a failure after all the Black Friday weekend talking(of which, November NPD counts only half). It can take months for trends to appear, and I think it's a bit early to call it one way or the other.

WasteLand Soldier said:

Haven't we come to the conclusion that games are what sells systems? In the case of November, Microsoft had the major tie in MW2, including exclusive DLC. They also had the 360 exclusive Left 4 Dead and the Ballad of Gay Tony(I think?). Sony had no exclusives and their tie ins were with a weaker game.

I'm not going to say it was obvious the 360 would track better in November, because it wasn't, but it certainly wasn't all that surprising if you think about it. I think December will definitely be interesting.

Concept17

gollumsluvslave said:
Compare Halo 3 to MW2...

Halo Reach will easily, EASILY top Halo 3, and I expect it to top MW2 as well - especially if it is on salle for more than 12 days.

Depending on Reach's marketing campain, and what MS is doing with Natal, breaking 5 million would not be out of the realms of possibility

For arguments sake let's just say that 360's install base is at 20 million by the time reach comes out, which is lowballed... lets say that Reach only get's an attach Rate of 20%.

That's 4 million straight with lowballed attach rate and lowballed install base.

I think this is unlikely, especially as of right now where no one really knows much about Reach. I doubt it will get above Halo 3, unless they do something really spectacular with the game.

gollumsluvslave said:
Compare Halo 3 to MW2...

I don't think it's plumetting, but the last few games have kind of been offsetting the fanbase. Like I said, I think Halo fans have moved over Halo 3 to MW and MW2. I think also the fact that Halo 3 had "3" in it's name made it feel like it was the next big entry in the series, while "Wars", "ODST", and "Reach" make it feel like these entries are somewhat more spin-offs. Maybe?

Who knows, it's waiting until next year. But that's how I feel about the game.

jett

D-Member
Do we have any God of War Collection numbers? Interested to see how it did. These things were so much more interesting when the full spreadsheet leaked. :p

szaromir

Banned
Sohter.Nura said:
I don't think it's plumetting, but the last few games have kind of been offsetting the fanbase. Like I said, I think Halo fans have moved over Halo 3 to MW and MW2. I think also the fact that Halo 3 had "3" in it's name made it feel like it was the next big entry in the series, while "Wars", "ODST", and "Reach" make it feel like these entries are somewhat more spin-offs. Maybe?

Who knows, it's waiting until next year. But that's how I feel about the game.
ODST got relatively little promotion, whereas you can be sure everyone will be aware of Reach, Microsoft is already starting to promote it, whereas they usually stay silent about their games until several months before the realese date, so you can only imagine how intense it'll be next Fall.

LCfiner

tzare said:
it is almost double. So MW2 sold a little over that double ratio. Other games, sold below that ratio. It depends on the genre, usually FPS do better on 360 (borderlands last month) and other games do better considering install base on PS3.
I see no real differences there. Nothing strange i mean. Obviously 360 sells more.MOre systems, more users, more games.

bcn-ron posted the first month attach rates for MW and MW2 for the 360 and PS3

CoD4:360 attach Nov '07: 19.9%
CoD4:pS3 attach Nov '07: 18.2%

CoD6:360 attach Nov '09: 24.2%
CoD6:pS3 attach Nov '09: 19.2%

the MW2 sales are definitely higher on the 360, but the PS3 still has a sizable number of gamers who are playing it, pretty much the same attach rate as the first MW on the 360. I wouldn't be surprised if the attach rate of MW2 evened out between the two consoles over the next couple months.

szaromir said:
Predicting sales based on names only is pretty silly IMO. Let's wait and see what titles like Reach, GoW3 or whatever bring to the table before you predict their sales. You can perhaps guesstimate 1st month sales (but even then you can be far off, a lot of people expected L4D2 to bomb), but beyond that is silly - I don't think the biggest games on HD consoles are as frontloaded as people say, with (for example) GOW1 or Modern Warfare having excellent sales for months after their release.

I base most of my sales predictions for 360 games on the LIVE activity charts. They've consistently shown what games have the strongest mindshare, strongest demo interest, strongest launches, and strongest staying power (for MP and SP).

It also doesn't hurt to pop onto LIVE once in a while and view:

- top demo downloads
- highest rated demo downloads
- top video downloads
- highest rated video downloads

when close to 3/4 of the 360 userbase is logged into the console online every day, it's a pretty damn solid sample size.

Another thing to consider with the few "long tail" HD games is that their sales are also relatively muted by used sales. Activision said a while before MW2 launched that over 20 million users had logged in and played the original Modern Warfare, despite LTD sales of "only" 13 or 14 million.

Whereas those sales hurt the older game, they increase mindshare and pre-orders for new games in the same series, as owners impressed by the used game will now want to jump in day one to get a leg up in multiplayer ranking and to play with all of their new online friends.

Looking at the LIVE charts right now, it's fairly easy to tell that true sequels to Halo and Modern Warfare 2 will have the biggest launches of any game on the 360.

ODST got relatively little promotion, whereas you can be sure everyone will be aware of Reach, Microsoft is already starting to promote it, whereas they usually stay silent about their games until several months before the realese date, so you can only imagine how intense it'll be next Fall.

This.

ODST is a mission pack for crying out loud. And it still sold 1.5 million in it's 1st month :lol

Of course, MS could balls it up with Natal and botch the marketing - but I doubt it.

WasteLand Soldier said:

olol. Deserve.

Concept17 said:
I think this is unlikely, especially as of right now where no one really knows much about Reach. I doubt it will get above Halo 3, unless they do something really spectacular with the game.
Everyone who bought ODST knows about Reach, and after the trailer tomorrow, things will really seem like Halo 3 all over again, if not more. Reach is the 360's biggest game next year, so you can bet MS will put it's amazing advertising all over it.

Chrono

Banned
elrechazao said:
The reggie defense forces are sure out in force to make sure that nobody slights the man in the least. Make sure to destroy anyone who doubts his wisdom!

It's quite amazing that on a message forums that requires the capability to read to understand, people like you have no problem navigating and posting a reply. It's like those stories about blind people moving around using sound, just not as cool.

tzare

LCfiner said:
bcn-ron posted the first month attach rates for MW and MW2 for the 360 and PS3

CoD4:360 attach Nov '07: 19.9%
CoD4:pS3 attach Nov '07: 18.2%

CoD6:360 attach Nov '09: 24.2%
CoD6:pS3 attach Nov '09: 19.2%

the MW2 sales are definitely higher on the 360, but the PS3 still has a sizable number of gamers who are playing it, pretty much the same attach rate as the first MW on the 360. I wouldn't be surprised if the attach rate of MW2 evened out between the two consoles over the next couple months.
yeah. that is why i find difficult to understand all that buzz about' what the hell PS3 owners play'. I mean, games are something more than halo FPS. Check attach rates for Soul Calibur, Resident evil, Batman. The only thing that i would bet on is that ps3 userbase is more spread out (i hope i said it correctly XD )and 360 more shooter centric as i said before.

poppabk

Sho_Nuff82 said:
when close to 3/4 of the 360 userbase is logged into the console online every day, it's a pretty damn solid sample size.
Is this real, that Live averages around 20 million active users per day? I know the record concurrent users was 2 million around when MW2 released, so 10 times that seems way too high.

PS3 sales are lower than what most of us predicted, but for some perspective it's still up there with the best Novembers GCN and Xbox ever had. The only (non-launch) Novembers they had over 700K were thanks to $99+bundles and Halo 2, respectively.

clashfan

JoshuaJSlone said:
PS3 sales are lower than what most of us predicted, but for some perspective it's still up there with the best Novembers GCN...

Comparing itself to GCN is not exactly what sony had in mind.

Mithos said:
Maybe the American civil-war, North vs South?

I would absolutely LOVE a civil war CoD, actually done right, instead of the history channel knock-off. But, it was a very different era. Probably wouldn't be as much fun. Hell, a vast majority of firearms used during the war were muskets, and that would be boring as hell.

szaromir

Banned
tzare said:
yeah. that is why i find difficult to understand all that buzz about' what the hell PS3 owners play'. I mean, games are something more than halo FPS. Check attach rates for Soul Calibur, Resident evil, Batman. The only thing that i would bet on is that ps3 userbase is more spread out (i hope i said it correctly XD )and 360 more shooter centric as i said before.
They still don't play as much as 360 gamers. 360's attach rate is 8.8 whereas PS3's is 6.8.

Top Bottom