• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

feel

chandoog said:
what ever happened to that person who did those awesome star trek gifs ?
He probably made a gif before the thread was even posted, then read the results in the OP and tossed it in the recycle bin...

all i care about is Demon's Souls' sales, i hope it has done well so far. i want that franchise to continue so bad.

ohh and Assassin's Creed 2 is probably really awesome as well (havent gotten it yet sadly), good to see it selling strongly. but that was a given.

MW2... i just dont get it, i play it every day but it mostly just frustrates the hell out of me. the game has so many things that i would call design flaws (for example horrible checkpointing in single player, glitchy basic movement in multiplayer etc) that i find it really astonishing that it sells better than any other game, and is praised by critics all around. is this REALLY the best game series this gen, and one of the best games ever?! for me its a good fun game to play with friends, but way too flawed to be even worth a 9/10... single player was a a 6/10 at best, just awful. besides getting to control the AC130 and stuff, that was a cool idea and nicely implemented. if there was justice in this world, a few mil from MW2 sales should go to more interesting games like the mentioned Demon's Souls, Dragon Age, perhaps Borderlands etc.

just my opinion though

Elios83

bcn-ron said:
Price cuts improve sales. Surprise!

Nintendo cut the price too and they're down YOY, surprise :D
Btw I think Sony is more concerned about PSP than their PS3 numbers. The PS3 is enjoying really healthy sales, their target based on their sales forecast was a +45% growth with the price cut, they're getting +90%. And they have top industry support secured for the platform too, they have better support than the actual market leader which is a weird fact of this generation but that's an other matter.
It's not like if PS3 managed to outsell 360 by 100k this month things would have changed in the overall scheme, Sony has already lost the US battle this generation, they're still fighting for 2nd place WW.
The same can't be said for PSP, that business is in really bad BAD shape, they have always had a poor software performance but the hardware is quickly following suit. The PSP Go has been a deserved failure for different reasons (price of the system, poor software catalogue, high software price and no competition on that). I think they will cut the price as soon as their next FY starts in April, that will improves sales but won't fix their software problems. BUt at this point they probably don't care, PSP 2 could be announced as early as next year.

LosDaddie

Banned
Taurus said:
This NPD's casualties so far are as follows:

shinshero
vicissitudes
spidye
Tagg7
olimpia84
GavinGT
GEP
TheExecutive
zero2000
AwRy108
AnEternalEnigma
knitoe
Tormentoso
permutated

Let us take a moment of silence for these brave warriors.

So what "side" did these brave warriors defend in the console war?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Letters said:
He probably made a gif before the thread was even posted, then read the results in the OP and tossed it in the recycle bin...
I think he stopped before this month, a lot of people started complaining about them.

krae_man

I wonder how well MW2 will do in December. The last 2 Call of Duty games sold about the same in the December NPD month as the November NPD month.

Are sales this time more front loaded or is the game going to sell another 6 million units in December?

jibblypop

Banned
Bloomberg said:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601204&sid=aS9eSMcatcJM

Nintendo Drags U.S. Video-Game Market Lower as Wii Sales Slump

Nintendo Co. led the U.S. video- game market to its eighth drop in nine months after sales of the motion-sensing Wii console tumbled, narrowing its lead over Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox 360.

:lol

So Nintendo dragged the market lower by having the top 2 selling systems in the DS and the wii? That makes no sense.
This is the poorest piece of "news" I've ever seen.

Nintendo may be down year over year but the sales are still much higher than anything else. So wouldn't the blame have to be placed on whatever is selling the least amount instead of the most?

Personally, I see the PSP Go absolutely tanking as something that hurts the market more than something selling incredibly well but just not as well as last year.

LosDaddie

Banned
Digital-Hero said:
You over exaggerate to a severe fault. I hope you are just joking.

I don't think he is. I'd imagine SonyGAF believed the PS3 would outsell the X360 and closely compete with the Wii from now on.

markatisu

jibblypop said:

So Nintendo dragged the market lower by having the top 2 selling systems in the DS and the wii? That makes no sense.

Nintendo may be down year over year but the sales are still much higher than anything else. So wouldn't the blame have to be placed on whatever is selling the least amount instead of the most?

Personally, I see the PSP Go absolutely tanking as something that hurts the market more than something selling incredibly well but just not as well as last year.

Well the Wii was the savior of the industry when it broke sales records, now its the scapegoat even though there are plenty of other examples why the industry is down that have nothing to do with Wii (AC2 sales are down a little from AC1, PSP Go tanked, even though all 3 consoles are selling great numbers they are doing so at less price)

The Wii is market leader when it comes to sales but the market loser when it comes to the media :lol

LosDaddie

Banned
jibblypop said:

IMO, the whole business thought process of "Our product's sales need to increase YoY every year to be a success" is fundamentally flawed.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
wtf @ that Bloomberg story :lol :lol

If somebody on GAF posted that they would've been banned.

Nintendo Co. led the U.S. video- game market to its eighth drop in nine months after sales of the motion-sensing Wii console tumbled, narrowing its lead over Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox 360.

jgpbg6.jpg

Talon

astroturfing said:
all i care about is Demon's Souls' sales, i hope it has done well so far. i want that franchise to continue so bad.
They made 45 King's Field games, so I would guess From will keep on making DS titles.

LosDaddie

Banned
operon said:
They fought under the banner of the Sony defense forces

Makes sense. MS being mum on exact BF sales probably gave SonyGAF extra confidence heading into NPD day....only to come crushing down

RedStep

Arpharmd B said:
It's safe to say, MW2 Haloed Halo.

I mean by comparison, Halo is like the other franchise now. You know, the underground franchise that only sold 3 million opening month. That's fucking insane.

It's valuable to note that the install base is 10 million stronger than it was with the Halo 3 launch. If Reach can sell to 10-15% of those added consoles, it will top MW2.

If they're smart with Reach's design, I think they can pull it off. I'm hoping for something nice and gritty. No weird Covenant politics, for a start.

I love both my children, I want them both to be successful.

FrankT

poppabk said:
And Assassins Creed 2 was out this November.

Hmm yea huge exclusive versus a multiplatform game. I see how that works. Anyhow, if I were to fault MS for anything this month it would have been better Arcade bundles. The arcade bundles last year were simply way better. In terms of overall sales on the platform they say it's the biggest November yet, and since they are fairly close to last year without moving the core price points I'd say that is pretty darn good. Especially so considering the last earnings report pointed to them making a profit on every HW sold now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wait, hold on a minute!

People think that Reach can surpass Halo 3 sales? :lol

It's going to have trouble even coming within sniffing distance of Halo 3's tail!

jibblypop

Banned
D4Danger said:
wtf @ that Bloomberg story :lol :lol

If somebody on GAF posted that they would've been banned.

I was waiting to see which GAF member came forward to admit that they wrote that article but I think they might have already been banned earlier in this thread!

tzare

great sales overall HW wise, except for PSP.

PS3 keeping pace with 360 is good news, should be like this the rest of this generation.
However PSP is in a weird position. Seems almost dead in US despite latest games (motorstorm, GTportable , AC...) and is selling very well in japan. What should they do? They cannot kill it as it performs in some markets.

AStonishing sales for MW2, however i think they deserved good sales, this is too much, but this is the way things are :D

LosDaddie

Banned
Man God said:
Wait, hold on a minute!

Why are you laughing?

When REACH drops, the X360's installed base might be double what it was when Halo3 launched.

It's definitely a reachable goal.

FrankT

Man God said:
Wait, hold on a minute!

It's going to have trouble even coming within sniffing distance of Halo 3's tail!

As long as it has the Chief, a new coat of paint and superb mutli I don't think so. MS is definitely going to market this as the next mainline Halo while likely throwing $50 million plus in marketing alone like the first. Heck they are already talking about it being the biggest game of next year. They aren't playing around.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
LosDaddie said:
Why are you laughing?

When REACH drops, the X360's installed base might be double what it was when Halo3 launched.

Maybe if they Rename it Halo 4, or go all the way and call it Halo 4:Future Warfare. :lol

Mithos

Gold Member
LosDaddie said:
IMO, the whole business thought process of "Our product's sales need to increase YoY every year to be a success" is fundamentally flawed.

There is another thought process that is equally flawed..

Company makes a product, spend 2 million dollars on it. They "think" they will sell enough to make 30 million dollar on it, but end up "only" making 20 million dollars on it.

Boohoo we made a 10 million dollar loss.. WRONG!!!!

You made a 18 million dollar PROFIT GOD DAMNIT!!

Man God said:
Wait, hold on a minute!

Another thing people need to stop doing - doubting the 360's November blockbusters.

From Gears, to COD4, to Gears 2, now MW2, EVERY damn year GAF underestimates the sales of the biggest 360 title of the year.

With the way 360, LIVE, and FPS sales in general are going, I wouldn't be surprised if Reach sold over 4.5-5 million units in a month, just in the US. Halo 3's LTD is beyond that already, what reason would people have to wait if MS pitches it as the sequel to Halo 3, like MW2 is to COD4?

New 360 owners are by and large still buying into the existent online communities because of the social nature of LIVE. This helps the heavy hitters more than anything, especially the heavy hitters released that particular month. I would not be surprised if the next GTA game and Gears 3, for example, opened even higher than GTA4 and Gears 2.

LosDaddie said:
Why are you laughing?

By next November I think it would be well over triple, at least in the US. The attach rate won't scale linearly of course, but it will outsell Halo 3, anyone can quote me on that.

thuway

Sho_Nuff82 said:

New 360 owners are by and large still buying into the existent online communities because of the social nature of LIVE.
This helps the heavy hitters more than anything, especially the heavy hitters released that particular month. I would not be surprised if the next GTA game and Gears 3, for example, opened even higher than GTA4 and Gears 2.

And this can't be quote enough either. All my friends who own both consoles purchased MW2 on the 360 because of the ability and ease of use of Party Chat. Sony if this isn't a fucking wake up call to introduce it into the firmware than I don't know what is.

You can red ring a million 360s, and charge people $100 a year for Live, but Party Chat is a feature you just cannot dance around. Quit the fucking delays and get it together. If party Chat was introduced with the Slim, I almost want to believe this November might have been closer in parity with the MW2 sales.

LosDaddie

Banned
Mithos said:
There is another thought process that is equally flawed..

Company makes a product, spend 2 million dollars on it. They "think" they will sell enough to make 30 million dollar on it, but end up "only" making 20 million dollars on it.

Boohoo we made a 10 million dollar loss.. WRONG!!!!

You made a 18 million dollar PROFIT GOD DAMNIT!!

Completely agreed. Unfortunately, companies use that thought process as means to justify firing employees

thuway

Sho_Nuff82 said:
By next November I think it would be well over triple, at least in the US. The attach rate won't scale linearly of course, but it will outsell Halo 3, anyone can quote me on that.
Bundle a couple million 360s with Halo Reach and you might be set.

dyls

Nintendo Drags U.S. Video-Game Market Lower as Wii Sales Slump

narrow |ˈnarō|
verb
1 become or make less wide : [ intrans. ] the road narrowed and crossed an old bridge | [ trans. ]

Just making sure that narrow still meant what I thought it did.

LosDaddie

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

Yeah, I thought I was underestimating a bit there.

Regardless, REACH has an excellent shot of topping Halo3's sales. Saying otherwise is just, well, just fucking silly. :lol

four-two

Banned
When you look the number of MW2 on the PS3 you can only come to a conclusion: People buy PS3 just to watch movies on Blue-Ray Disc.

Is pretty sad when you think to Uncharted 2, what a waste of talent...

thuway said:
And this can't be quote enough either. All my friends who own both consoles purchased MW2 on the 360 because of the ability and ease of use of Party Chat. Sony if this isn't a fucking wake up call to introduce it into the firmware than I don't know what is.

You can red ring a million 360s, and charge people $100 a year for Live, but Party Chat is a feature you just cannot dance around. Quit the fucking delays and get it together. If party Chat was introduced with the Slim, I almost want to believe this November might have been closer in parity with the MW2 sales.

Isn't Party Chat driven by packed in headsets? Sony can add Party Chat, but they have to start bundling headsets with consoles too. One won't work without the other.

tzare

four-two said:
When you look the number of MW2 on the PS3 you can only come to a conclusion: People buy PS3 just to watch movies on Blue-Ray Disc.

Is pretty sad when you think to Uncharted 2, what a waste of talent...

so selling half the games with half the install base leads you to that conclusion?

However, it is pretty obvious that PS3 userbase is less shooter centric overall, maybe because it has many different 'type of gamers', as 360 are more genre centric.

Top Bottom