• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
CozMick said:
But c'mon, comparing sales of a game on 4 platforms with 2 weeks(?) of sales to a game on 1 platform with 3 days of sales is just plain stupid.

Why is that? DKCR is on one console, had 5 days, and is above both.

Barrett2

CozMick said:
STOP!

Using logic in this thread is prohibited.

GT5 didn't only have 3 days with no advertising.

And NFS IS only on one platform.

:lol
I guess i didn't see a bajillion Kevin Butler GT5 ads. Must have been dreaming.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Great month for MS, but historically COD has always significantly bumped up sales for them, and Kinect should have given them even more uplift.

Fantastic sustained performance from Nintendo, certainly demonstrating that on the flipside - Wii isn't impacted by Kinect yet, which has to be a relief.

Sony needs to accept that they need to compete on price, not features. They have a great software line-up over the next 12 months which they need to show some faith in, and cut the hardware price down to match 360.

Banned
The 360 beat the PS3 by 840,000 units in one month. That is insane.

If Microsoft can keep them in stock then the 360 will have an amazing December.

Ashes

Banned
Fredescu said:
I'll bet not many people would have predicted NFS to outsell GT5, platforms combined or not.

I thought it would a few months ago... in the US I mean... But I also thought gt5 would be locked on for 90+ meta critic....

clashfan

A.R.K said:
does MS fucking go buy their own games in bulk from retailers or what? its disgusting when crap like this sell and quality games struggle...I have to salute the xbox community though, they fucking buy every piece of crap that comes out on the 360 no matter the quality...thats loyalty!

WOW! Alittle angry?

Vizion28

Banned
Just Dance 2 is hit which is surprising because most 'casual' game sequels do much worse on Wii.

I sure hope Ubisoft gets creative and innovative with Just Dance 3 by including a motion cam and/or compatibilty with Vitality Sensor. There can be a lot of new cool gameplay elements with such gadgets.

Meh, I doubt that would happen.

Stumpokapow said:
Nintendo is down YOY. Why on earth would they wait until they're losing to act? You're proposing that "rest on your laurels" is a good business strategy.
Hey console cycles, and figures dropping towards the end.
Wii figures down YOY from some of the biggest sales ever.
Don't you normally wait til dropping to do something?
Why would you pricecut whilst selling better than anything EVER at the price you were at .

And I guess theres only so much scope for developing hardware in a company of nintendos size?

expy

Banned
Fredescu said:
I'll bet not many people would have predicted NFS to outsell GT5, platforms combined or not.
Not surprising, it's multiplat, and had 8 more days on the market.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pimpbaa said:
Hot Pursuit is not a yearly sequel. Although I wouldn't mind as long as it was the quality of the current game.

this speaks to how asinine sub-branding is. either hot pursuit is the franchise, in which case EA calling it "need for speed" is cynical and empty marketing, or "need for speed" is the franchise, in which case it's an annual sequel.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
NPD always brings out the worst in people. I fucking swear... :lol

zigg

beat said:
I assume they meant that near the end of life, that owners would be putting them away in the closet or something. If it's not actively used, can you really count it as part of the installed base?

You know, Nintendo does surveys of that kind internally now (IIRC, phone surveys, "have you used your X in the last year".) Here are their latest charts from the 2010 conference:

mm8pdt.jpg
15s0hoh.jpg

I believe this is why DS is getting replaced now, but Wii isn't.

Jonsoncao

Banned
A.R.K said:
does MS fucking go buy their own games in bulk from retailers or what? its disgusting when crap like this sell and quality games struggle...I have to salute the xbox community though, they fucking buy every piece of crap that comes out on the 360 no matter the quality...thats loyalty!
oh man, this is getting closer to the NPD thread I liked :lol

Kenka

We do know that a game launched on multiple plateforms and which was available in retail for 11 days outsold a game available one plateform and for three days.

We don't know jack shit aside of that.

Oh, and we do know that a game that is part of a series that has not seen a single opus in 14 years has outsold the game mentioned above (GT5) although the availability was roughly similar (6 days as opposed to 3) and that exceptions were "quite" different.

Zen

Banned
schuelma said:
I'm not up to date on PAL territories, but their Japan advantage is tiddly winks compared to the U.S.
Until recently the Japan advantage alone was canceling out the US lead. But HOT DAMN, what a terrible month for Sony. What happened?! :lol

FrankT

Stumpokapow said:
don't post in the thread again.

sayidcrazinglaugh.gif :lol

Karma said:

End number will boil down to stock to be sure.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Man Sony just can't break through in the US this time round it seems, I guess being late to the market with a very high launch price, inferior software catalogue (at the time), no dualshock controller, inferior online experience, crap advertising etc, they really stated off on a bad footing tbh, I'm a big Playstation fan and it's very sad to see them bottoming out in the US like this, especially with GT5 doing so poorly but what a catastrophe that launch was also, they just aren't doing themselves any favours.

Saying that though it isn't all Sony's fault, I really have to give kudos to MS this gen, they anticipated the market well by creating a great on-line experience, and one that people are willing to pay for even when the competition is free, and including a free bundled headset helps if your trying to create an on-line community, little things like that make a big difference, plus having an arcade sku on the market was genius I feel, how can you compete with a £139 console, and the new arcade sku is an absolute bargain for that price.

One thing I hope for next gen is that Sony realise how important social gaming is.

fernoca

Yeah, we need numbers.
Last month, Fable III had only 4-5 days of sales; did over 500k copies and people were calling it bomba.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DefectiveReject said:
Hey console cycles, and figures dropping towards the end.

which explains the 360

oh wait, right, the 360 had a relaunch

why doesn't the wii have a relaunch

oh wait, that's the last question i asked you

Don't you normally wait til dropping to do something?

... erm... no. which is why i pointed out that you were arguing for resting on your laurels. but suppose that is your strategy--they've been down yoy consistently until this month, where they tied last year. so... uh...

Why would you pricecut whilst selling better than anything EVER at the price you were at .[/quote]

who argued for a price cut? the 360's relaunch didn't have a price cut.

And I guess theres only so much scope for developing hardware in a company of nintendos size?

so in other words what MS pulled off is a big deal and your initial "what did you expect? ms just pulled off a relaunch, nintendo hasn't used that card yet" point was, as i pointed out, silly.

Donkey God Country Returns shows why GT5 hasn't really done all that well at all.

Seriously, the game is amazing, and deserves to sell every fucking copy they can print.

Stumpokapow said:
Nintendo is down YOY. Why on earth would they wait until they're losing to act? You're proposing that "rest on your laurels" is a good business strategy.

How would they make the Wii any smaller though? I think the closest thing to a Wii "Slim" we will get is the Red Wii(& the inevitable gold Wii for Zelda)

Paracelsus

Stumpokapow said:
which explains the 360

It totally feels like you're asking for it, trust me.

It's all about the price of the system , people that buying systems now have allot of games they can buy for it.
Few exclusive not going to change that. Sony thinking 299 was going to cut it this year was crazy.
They really need PS4 around 2012.

Ive probably seen the GT5 tv ad 3 or 4 times. Ive seen the PS3 - Best Buy ad at least 20 times and the Move ads much more then that. I don't think Sony was all that interested in a serious push for GT5. GOW3 for example got much more marketing then GT5 has so far. I wonder if Sony is just stretched a little thin trying to advertise the PS3, Move and GT5.

Fredescu

expy said:
Not surprising, it's multiplat, and had 8 more days on the market.
That's very easy to say in hindsight. Did anyone on GAF actually predict it? I'd wager if they did, they'd be laughed at.

szaromir

Banned
Karma said:

All those people who were arguing with me in the PS Move sales thread that PS3 sales are equal to 360 sales in US+Japan are eating so much crow now.

Ricker

Damn at those Black Ops numbers,across all platforms but still pretty incredible...and i`m happy for Fable III,game is great....GT5 will be solid in December as well so in the end it should be a big seller...

Redbeard

Banned
Poor PS3 sales this month in the US at least.

Sony will still likely ship more PS3s this quarter than Mirosoft will ship 360s, world wide.

What happened with the PS3? I'm shocked.

And the NFL is in December so that pushed Madden 11's sales further. No NBA Jam? Wonder how that sold. That should've been a download! It's only 1.3 GB!

And I'm not surprised with Kinect sales. I go to stores and there's always a crowd of people around the demo from little kids to old grandpas playing it! And I see people just picking it up!

And good to see the Wii make a rebound. The Black Friday really helped.

DS is still going strong and Pokemon Black/White is just around the corner as well as the 3DS!

And the PSP...:(

Gamestop isn't even taking Go trade-ins!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheKingsCrown said:
Nintendo are losing?

Proof?

if you don't care to read the conversation you're responding to, don't respond.

A poster argued that the 360's revival is not noteworthy (or impressive or notable or whatever word you want to use) because they had a re-launch, while Nintendo's hold is noteworthy because they haven't.

I pointed out, by defending Nintendo, that trying to dismiss success by saying "meh, that's EASY" is silly and challenged that if it's so easy, why wouldn't Nintendo have done a relaunch?

The poster responded by arguing that being the hare is better than being the tortoise. You quoted by response to that argument.

goldenpp72

gundamkyoukai said:
It's all about the price of the system , people that buying system now have allot of games they can buy for it.
Few exclusive not going to change that. Sony thinking a 299 was going to cut it this year was crazy.
They really need PS4 around 2012.

I'm willing to bet the bulk of the 360 sales were the 300 and 400 models rather than the 200 model.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Thread moving too fast..

RSTEIN said:
Most epic NPD in a long time. There's no way in hell Forza 3 will outsell GT5 in NA is there? Sony must be sweating bullets. They need to get desperate with a price drop ASAP.
Well.. Forza 3 was bundled with 250gb consoles this month. So there is a chance it may have "outsold" GT5 this month.

-MB-

Stumpokapow said:
which explains the 360

If u believe what allot of people say, the wii was already a relaunch to begin with.

Top Bottom