• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Lion Heart said:
Huh? This part is wrong on so many levels. For one thing, GT5 sales are on par with their predecessors AT LEAST relative to its time on shelves. Second, look at my post above, look how bad GoW sold in March 2005. Compare that to GoW3. Third, PS3 first party besides GT, has NEVER been mega blockbusters. If someone wants to get hard data to compare PS3 First party to past gens, I think it would favour the PS3.

I hope you guys realize that, unlike the PS2, I don't think any PS3 exclusive game has sold anywhere close to 2 million copies entirely in "legs" sales in the US. For the HD consoles, especially for sequels, what you see in the first few months is pretty much what you get unless you are CoD or Madden.

It would have to have a sales trajectory greater than the original Left 4 Dead to get anywhere close to the kind of numbers that are still be being bandied about:

November 08 - 410k
December 08 - 629k
January 09 - 243k (more than Gears of War 2 and CoD WaW at that point)
February 09 - ranked 13th
March 09 - uncharted

No PS3 game outside of CoD has ever sold more than 600k in December.

kswiston said:
8.4mil for Black Ops is unbelievable. I really thought the Call of Duty series had hit its peak with Modern Warfare 2, but Black Op's first month beat it by 30%.

To put this further in perspective, even if the PC, Wii, and DS versions all sold just slightly less than GT5 (~390k each, an outlandish # based on the UK sales ratios but whatever), that would still be over 7.2 million on PS360 alone. :lol

chris0701

nextgeneration said:
With the main difference being the ps3's installed base = 14.25 mil vs ps2's installed base = 27.68 mil.

It makes no sense when the installed base is large enough.

FYI,why GT4 sold less than GT 3?

apana

Redbeard said:
It speaks more to the effectiveness of $500,000,000

Maybe but it's not like Microsoft are gonna spend it all in a month. Besides people are aware of Sony's products and games even if its not in their face all the time.

Pooya

EA

EA games that we have NPD numbers for them, all I could find.

Jan
Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360) / Electronic Arts / 572,100
Feb
# Mass Effect 2 (360) / Electronic Arts / 246,500
# Dante's Inferno: Divine Edition (PS3) / Electronic Arts / 242,500
# Dante's Inferno (360) / Electronic Arts / 224,700
March
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360) – 825.5K
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3) – 451.2K
April
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360) - 166K
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3) - <100K
May
Skate 3 (360) - 133K
June
------
July
# NCAA Football 2011 (360) – 368K
# NCAA Football 2011 (PS3) – 298.8K

August
# Madden NFL 11 (360) – 920.8K
# Madden NFL 11 (PS3) – 893.6K
NCAA Football 11 (360) - 87K

Sep
NHL 11
FIFA Soccer 11 >225k

Oct
Medal of Honor **(360, PS3, PC) ELECTRONIC ARTS - Over 1 Million
FIFA Soccer 11 (PS3, 360, WII, PS2, PSP, NDS, PC) ELECTRONIC ARTS
Madden NFL 11 (360, PS3, WII, PS2, PSP) ELECTRONIC ARTS >225k

Nov
NFS >400k
Madden 11 >430k

--------------------------
Total: > ~8259.6k

[/B]
Activision

Nov
Call of Duty Black Ops 8.4m

I feel bad for EA now, they deserve much better sales :| .

Redbeard said:

That, but I don't think that's the only reason. For example, why was it on Oprah in the first place? Because Kinect appeals to women. Women are what companies go after these days more than ever, I don't know the number but they do most of the spending in the U.S. (I think).

MS was very smart by expanding their audience by going after the female market. I'm sure Move sparked some interest with women but not nearly as much apparently. The Wii already has that covered.

Redbeard said:
Don't dismiss the fact that for better or worse, Kinect was able to present itself as a new, impressive thing, while Move hasn't got away from Wii With Disco Ball. The marketing obviously helped, but Kinect is a much braver, appealing product. It took what Wii taught the market and followed it, rather than just cloning it.

mujun

Shurs said:
Okay:

*It's the first "real" Gran Turismo game on the PS3.

*It's the only big name exclusive released for the PS3 this fall.

See, you aren't trying as hard for the other side ;)

*It looks almost photo-realistic at times.

*The most feature packed game everrrrrr.

*It's the game a lot of people have been waiting for before they finally pick up a PS3.

chris0701

Zoe said:
Sales by second week courtesy of Chris1964 in the Media Create topic:

{03/01/05 - 09/01/05} 01. [PS2] Gran Turismo 4 (SCE) {28/12/04} - 145.027 / 779.796
{29/11/10 - 05/12/10} 05. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (SCE) {25/11/10} - 55.682 / 486.389

It only means the enthusiasm for racing genre is starting to be exhausted in this gen.

donny2112

beat said:
Can someone put the real numbers either overlaid or side-by-side?

Did it earlier in the year for through 2009 based on bmf's suggestion. Here's that particular graph through 2009.

3480xv8.jpg
Fanalyst2.png

kswiston

tass0 said:
360 slowly closing that gap.

360 should be at like 48m sold by now.

Between it and the Wii? That 100k lead in the the US for November was wiped out by Japan alone. Considering the Wii still outsells the 360 basically everywhere in the world, the gap has done nothing but widen.

I do think it is pretty safe to say that 360 beat the PS3 worldwide last month though. Europe and Japan aren't going to cover an 800k gap.

PSGames said:
Having exclusives and having exclusives that will actually sell hardware are two different things.

Yep this, sony has some great exclusive games coming in 2011 but i wouldnt call any of them system sellers. Fucking amazing 360 numbers there, how many days sales are those gt5 numbers from?. Sony really needs to start to butter up us eu people we seem to be keeping them afloat these days.:lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
_Xenon_ said:
I wonder what will happen here if GT5 can't even outsell FM3.
Well for all we know, Forza 3 hasn't sold a single copy more than 175k. Hasn't charted since October 2009.

So hard to compare them.

user_nat said:
Well for all we know, Forza 3 hasn't sold a single copy more than 175k. Hasn't charted since October 2009.

So hard to compare them.

Yep hasnt sold one copy since.:lol Gt5 will outsell forza 3 though im pretty certain on that front.

Letters said:
This has been a fun NPD thread to slowly catch up to, so much damage control from every side. :lol

simple and uncreative
2i26jr6.jpg

:lol

Dunno why I laughed so hard at this just now...

It takes so damn long for the giant truck to reach the small truck... but the payoff is worth it.

kswiston said:
Between it and the Wii? That 100k lead in the the US for November was wiped out by Japan alone. Considering the Wii still outsells the 360 basically everywhere in the world, the gap has done nothing but widen.

I do think it is pretty safe to say that 360 beat the PS3 worldwide last month though. Europe and Japan aren't going to cover an 800k gap.

No they wont the biggest market in the eu the uk is pretty much wii---360---------ps3.

EmCeeGramr said:
I wonder what would happen if Sony meetings discussing sales and earnings were like NPD-Age posts.

"So, Gran Turismo 5 looks like it underperformed, and the PS3 did terribly for the November month."

"UH, of course it did, we didn't have any games and didn't market GT5 right and we really haven't sold as many PS3s this generation as we sold PS2s last generation so of course our games will sell less."

"...Yes, yes those are all true. So what?"

"SO, the bad sales don't really count and I'm a crazy person. And we got a new Kevin Butler ad in the works."
21enq8gl6e6.gif

user_nat

supermackem said:
No they wont the biggest market in the eu the uk is pretty much wii---360---------ps3.
We haven't got any UK hardware numbers in ages. But the gap between the 360 and PS3 has always been less than the gap between the Wii and 360.

Zoe

kswiston said:

Difference in Japan is a little more than 164K for anyone who wants to guess at Europe.

user_nat said:
We haven't got any UK hardware numbers in ages. But the gap between the 360 and PS3 has always been less than the gap between the Wii and 360.

Hmmm the boost kinect and the slim give 360 here i doubt that.

Redbeard

Banned
butter_stick said:
Don't dismiss the fact that for better or worse, Kinect was able to present itself as a new, impressive thing, while Move hasn't got away from Wii With Disco Ball. The marketing obviously helped, but Kinect is a much braver, appealing product. It took what Wii taught the market and followed it, rather than just cloning it.

I'm well aware that Microsoft has succeeded more with Kinect in the US and Move has succeeded more in Europe. But at the end of the day, Sony hasn't spent anywhere near as much as Microsoft when it comes to marketing the device overall.

Kinect's short term success in the US is all about marketing. I don't see how it's any 'braver' than when Sony tried their first shot at controllerless gaming with the EyeToy. What's 'brave' about it is the push it got, not the fact that the tech is somehow nebulously more appealing or new.

Props to Microsoft for giving it a good push. We'll see how long it lasts. But ultimately there is an opportunity cost here, and Microsoft has spent a hefty amount of money promoting Kinect, and by extension, the Xbox brand.

kswiston

Zoe said:
Difference in Japan is a little more than 164K for anyone who wants to guess at Europe.

The rest of the world doesn't have a black friday equivalent in November, so I wouldn't be surprised in Nov US hardware sales > Nov Hardware sales for the rest of the world.

Zoe

kswiston said:
The rest of the world doesn't have a black friday equivalent in November, so I wouldn't be surprised in Nov US hardware sales > Nov Hardware sales for the rest of the world.

Yeah, December is a much more level playing field across the regions.

Redbeard said:
I'm well aware that Microsoft has succeeded more with Kinect in the US and Move has succeeded more in Europe. But at the end of the day, Sony hasn't spent anywhere near as much as Microsoft when it comes to marketing the device overall.

Kinect's short term success in the US is all about marketing. I don't see how it's any 'braver' than when Sony tried their first shot at controllerless gaming with the EyeToy. What's 'brave' about it is the push it got, not the fact that the tech is somehow nebulously more appealing or new.

Props to Microsoft for giving it a good push. We'll see how long it lasts. But ultimately there is an opportunity cost here, and Microsoft has spent a hefty amount of money promoting Kinect, and by extension, the Xbox brand.
Seeing as Eyetoy didn't really take off in the US (IIRC, correct me if wrong), I'd say the Kinect vision is brave in the sense they knew they had potential, but it was completely up to Microsoft to show this potential to the public and have them buy in to it. Especially when you consider the costs opposed to just a Move style solution.

Sean

Banned
I think it's time for Sony to phase out the Kevin Butler ads. GAF seems to like them but even then the discussion is always about Butler himself rather than the game/product being promoted. Judging from these PS3 sales the marketing doesn't seem to be working.

Sony would probably be better off with "generic" gameplay commercials imo.

Shurs

Just got an email from Sony celebrating 60 million units moved for the Gran Turismo series.

They're already claiming 5.52 million copies of GT 5 sold worldwide*.

239473_o.gif

*Sell-in number, meaning sold to stores, not sold to consumers.

Cels

Shurs said:
Just got an email from Sony proclaiming 60 million units moved for the Gran Turismo series.

They're already claiming 5.52 million copies of GT 5 sold worldwide.

I saw this too...so they got >5M sales in regions outside of North America? Whoa... NVM

edit: here is a chart they helpfully provided:

6jg6xs.png

butter_stick said:
Seeing as Eyetoy didn't really take off in the US (IIRC, correct me if wrong), I'd say the Kinect vision is brave in the sense they knew they had potential, but it was completely up to Microsoft to show this potential to the public and have them buy in to it. Especially when you consider the costs opposed to just a Move style solution.

Also Eyetoy was marketed as a supplemental peripheral to the PS2, while MS is betting the future of the Xbox label on Kinect. Eyetoy not selling well didn't matter a whit to Sony; if Kinect bombs heads WILL roll in MS.

user_nat

Cels said:
I saw this too...so they got >5M sales in regions outside of North America? Whoa...
Shipped.

Still impressive, means they plan to atleast 5m before the bundling.

apana

Can't believe how everyone turned on Kevin Butler so quickly, goes from being best thing ever to a massive drain on the company. Need to cut immediately. :lol Anyways I know its probably not the same people but its still interesting how a bad month of sales really gets everyone going.

Sean said:
I think it's time for Sony to phase out the Kevin Butler ads. GAF seems to like them but even then the discussion is always about Butler himself rather than the game/product being promoted. Judging from these PS3 sales the marketing doesn't seem to be working.

Sony would probably be better off with "generic" gameplay commercials imo.

The "It Only Does Everything" tagline is pretty fantastic really. Kevin Butler is a great face for these ads as well. Something in them though isn't helping the PS3's cause and it might be just he way he looks in them and the reflection that has on the product being sold. Still, the console is doing better than it ever has before.

kswiston

Warm Machine said:
Yeah, and was also released on the 27th of the month it released in.

Forza 3 launched Oct 27, October 2009 NPD ended Oct 31 - 4 days were counted
GT5 launched Nov 24, October 2009 NPD ended Nov 27 - 4 days were counted

Seems like a fair comparison to me. Also, given the absence of Forza 3 on the November 2009 top 20, the game failed to hit 400k even after a full month.

zero_suit

DrForester said:
How close is the DS now to the PS2's record?

As of the October 2010 NPD:

Lifetime-to-date

DS – 42,942,258

With November numbers, that puts it at ~44.5 million. The PS2 wasn't much higher than 45 million before it got delisted, and the DS is looking like it'll do 3+ million in December so.....

Shurs

kswiston said:
Forza 3 launched Oct 27, October 2009 NPD ended Oct 31 - 4 days were counted
GT5 launched Oct 24, October 2009 NPD ended Oct 27 - 4 days were counted

One of those days was Thanksgiving.

user_nat

zero_suit said:
As of the October 2010 NPD:

Lifetime-to-date

DS – 42,942,258

With November numbers, that puts it at ~44.5 million. The PS2 wasn't much higher than 45 million before it got delisted, and the DS is looking like it'll do 3+ million in December so.....
What was the lifetime gameboy sales?

KingDizzi

Banned
Shurs said:
Just got an email from Sony celebrating 60 million units moved for the Gran Turismo series.

They're already claiming 5.52 million copies of GT 5 sold worldwide*.

*Sell-in number, meaning sold to stores, not sold to consumers.

Should have paid attention during maths class son, 3.64 million copies shipped if it's bang on 60 million. http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Impressive either way, it's still a monster franchise in EU. Silly numbers like 550k shipped in franchise and the like, it's not very big in the UK however once you go to the other European countries it's a biggie.

user_nat said:
Shipped.

Still impressive, means they plan to atleast 5m before the bundling.

Everyone bails when I ask this for some reason, when was say GT4 a pack in? I got GT3 with my PS2 however that was a bundle, just like any other big game out there it got a launch bundle. There was a GT5:p bundle also during release however not a pack in, such was Forza 2 with the Pinata game and now the third with Alan Wake. GT5:p is the only pack in I have seen the franchise get, it came with every PS3 sold in Japan during late 2008.

Top Bottom