• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

I wonder what would happen if Sony meetings discussing sales and earnings were like NPD-Age posts.

"So, Gran Turismo 5 looks like it underperformed, and the PS3 did terribly for the November month."

"UH, of course it did, we didn't have any games and didn't market GT5 right and we really haven't sold as many PS3s this generation as we sold PS2s last generation so of course our games will sell less."

"...Yes, yes those are all true. So what?"

"SO, the bad sales don't really count and I'm a crazy person"

PSGames said:
Sony exclusives just don't hold the same clout that they used to evidenced by GT5s sales.

Huh? This part is wrong on so many levels. For one thing, GT5 sales are on par with their predecessors AT LEAST relative to its time on shelves. Second, look at my post above, look how bad GoW sold in March 2005. Compare that to GoW3. Third, PS3 first party besides GT, has NEVER been mega blockbusters. If someone wants to get hard data to compare PS3 First party to past gens, I think it would favour the PS3.

Truespeed

XiaNaphryz said:
To generalize everyone to one number is foolhardy at best. You have to go by their job title and locality and then attempt any sort of generalization - a senior engineer in the US would have a vastly different salary than a junior modeler in Japan. Then you can get a better rough estimate.

So, if I understand you correctly, people at different positions get paid differently. Please wait, while I modify the "calculations" with this new information.

Shurs

Don't know how I missed it, but Fable 3 had an amazing month.

I mean, holy shit, I'd forgotten that the game came out in October.

That's pretty great.

EmCeeGramr said:
truespeed you do realize a former turn 10 employee responded to your post right
a1429d06f2a8.gif

I just have to say that the DS is such a motherfucking beast that even when the 360 outsell the PS3 by a factor of ~2.5, outsells the Wii in November.......and the DS still beats it, and it's such a common thing that no one even talks about it.

goldenpp72

AranhaHunter said:
I just have to say that the DS is such a motherfucking beast that even when the 360 outsell the PS3 by a factor of ~2.5, outsells the Wii in November.......and the DS still beats it, and it's such a common thing that no one even talks about it.

It's like talking about how helpful air is really, nothing really beats the ds. the wii and 360 combined might be higher than DS WW, lol.

T Ghost

Shurs said:
Black Friday deals for some of the games in the Top Ten.

Madden
Wal-Mart- $29
Best Buy- $35
Kmart- $40
Toys R Us- Part of Buy One Get One For $5 Deal

Fable 3
Best Buy- $40
Kmart- $40
Target- $35
Sears- $40

NFS: Hot Pursuit
Best Buy- $35
Kmart- $35
Target- $35
Sears- $40 HD, $30 Wii

This is really a valid point IMHO. On black Friday I got a copy of Fable 3 and NFS: Hot Persuit ONLY because they were for $35 each. I would never get them at full price. I believe that I was not alone as I got the very last copy of Fable 3 and there was only 2 left of NFS at the Target I went to.

PSGames

Lion Heart said:
Huh? This part is wrong on so many levels. For one thing, GT5 sales are on par with their predecessors AT LEAST relative to its time on shelves. Second, look at my post above, look how bad GoW sold in March 2005. Compare that to GoW3. Third, PS3 first party besides GT, has NEVER been mega blockbusters. If someone wants to get hard data to compare PS3 First party to past gens, I think it would favour the PS3.
Looking back yeah you're right. It was 3rd party exclusives that picked up the slack for them last gen. But my point still remains the same. They need price parity with the 4GB 360 and fast. Not $279, not $250, but $199.

feel

This has been a fun NPD thread to slowly catch up to, so much damage control from every side. :lol

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Did I miss the GIFs or we not even trying anymore?
simple and uncreative
2i26jr6.jpg

T Ghost said:
This is really a valid point IMHO. On black Friday I got a copy of Fable 3 and NFS: Hot Persuit ONLY because they were for $35 each. I would never get them at full price. I believe that I was not alone as I got the very last copy of Fable 3 and there was only 2 left of NFS at the Target I went to.

To be fair even if GT5 was being sold for $35 people would still feel justified in calling it bomba.

Redbeard

Banned
Lion Heart said:

Yeah, and that's true for Microsoft with Halo as well. GT5 is exceeding expectations in Europe, doing poorer in Japan, and seems to be doing about as well as GT4 did in a similar time frame in the US.

Only Nintendo can truly boast of having multiple mega blockbusters.

Sony's numbers this month, while poor, aren't anywhere near the disaster levels some people are crowing about. 25% down YoY, but I recall last year's PS3 Black Friday bundles being insane and this year they were very ho-hum. PS3's numbers just look particularly poor in comparison to the 360's outstanding numbers in the US.

But even so, Sony certainly doesn't need to cut the price until fall of next year. They're still on track to hit 15 million sales world wide this year, which is much higher than the 360 will do even with absolutely stellar US sales.

apana

SoulPlaya said:
I highly doubt that will make a difference in the US.

If Versus has the sales potential of FF13 then it would be important to have it be exclusive. Besides won't the first party Sony releases only sell to people who already have a PS3?

Lion Heart said:

The first game in a franchise is pretty much a worthless comparison to a heavily hyped sequel. GOW 3 would be a far better example to use. First game on the new platform. How did that game do?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm still waiting for someone to use this GIF in an NPD thread, it's so perfect

madmentrophyxii7.gif

of course 360 would be Roger, Peggy would be Wii and Pete would be PS3

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
these numbers are horrendous for SONY... holy cow.

Expect new (slimmer?) hardware and price cut next year or else they can kiss second place good bye.

PSGames said:
Looking back yeah you're right. It was 3rd party exclusives that picked up the slack for them last gen. But my point still remains the same. They need price parity with the 4GB 360 and fast. Not $279, not $250, but $199.

Oh absolutely, their image in NA is not that great. $199 would make it competitive with 360 but they would bleed like crazy, I doubt they will ever be at parity in price.

Zoe

shinnn said:
NPD February 2005
GT4 - 620.000
PS2 - 530.000 (+47% YoY)

NPD November 2010
GT5 - 400.000
PS3 - 530.000 (-25% YoY)

Huh... that's a funny coincidence. Both also about 4 years (+ a few months for PS2) into the life cycle.

GT5 should have been released at the end of 2009 anyway. It took way too long to develop, to then only get review scores that were less than expected. In the meantime people were playing all sorts of quality racing games. Then when it's finally about to be released, it's botched and delayed again. The amount of times Sony has shot themselves in the foot this gen is ridiculous. Their feet look like swiss cheese.

Busaiku

Snuggler said:

madmentrophyxii7.gif

I believe it's already been done.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
If it's that easy for Nintendo to magically double their sales by "re-launching" or changing their form factor, why can't they do it or why haven't they done it?

Wii 2 to launch as blocky behemoth confirmed.

mujun

Shurs said:
What argument?

The argument that things went wrong.

You make it seem like it was a total uphill battle from the start. I agree with the things you listed, just seems that if you are going to make a nice comprehensive looking list like that then for objectivity's sake that you should list the reasons it should have performed better than it did.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
chris0701 said:
You guys should cherish the NPD thread once delivers again.:lol :lol

I miss the golden age of NPD thread at 2008 so much:(
2007 > 2008

The HD consoles did better in 08, which ruined some of the fun.

nib95

Banned
nextgeneration said:
With the main difference being the ps3's installed base = 14.25 mil vs ps2's installed base = 27.68 mil.

Wait what the hell. That doesn't make sense, that makes it sound like GT5's NPD sales actually seem in-line with past performances. Any idea of GT5's Japanese and European numbers in comparison to GT4?

Shurs

mujun said:
The argument that things went wrong.

You make it seem like it was a total uphill battle from the start. I agree with the things you listed, just seems that if you are going to make a nice comprehensive looking list like that then for objectivity's sake that you should list the reasons it should have performed better than it did.

Okay:

*It's the first "real" Gran Turismo game on the PS3.

*It's the only big name exclusive released for the PS3 this fall.

Hawk269

At this point in the ballgame, no matter what Sony tries to do, MS can counter it.

Sony tries to do a price drop, MS can counter with a bigger cut and still make more of a profit on the system.

The 360 has such a massive attachement ratio that no 3rd party in their right mind would make a game exclusive for the PS3 knowing they can make a fortune with a 360 version as well.

Kinect launched and sparked the casuals while the Move Sony just released and did not much with it.

At this time, I don't see what Sony can do other than drop the price so low that they lose major money on each system, I am talking like $149.99 or so. Even with that MS can still counter with the 4gig unit.

Blown away by the 360 numbers though...still impressive after 5 years and with Kinect, I think they really can survive a while longer without a new console.

Hawk269 said:
At this point in the ballgame, no matter what Sony tries to do, MS can counter it.

Sony tries to do a price drop, MS can counter with a bigger cut and still make more of a profit on the system.

The 360 has such a massive attachement ratio that no 3rd party in their right mind would make a game exclusive for the PS3 knowing they can make a fortune with a 360 version as well.

Kinect launched and sparked the casuals while the Move Sony just released and did not much with it.

At this time, I don't see what Sony can do other than drop the price so low that they lose major money on each system, I am talking like $149.99 or so. Even with that MS can still counter with the 4gig unit.

Blown away by the 360 numbers though...still impressive after 5 years and with Kinect, I think they really can survive a while longer without a new console.
lowering the price isn't an option, as it wouldn't work anyway. they've done price drops. the competition simply drops theirs in kind.

clashfan said:
you have to remember sony didn't market ps3 till the end of the month of November, so those numbers are really for only a few days...

This is how it's done folks. I tip my hat to you, dear sir. Well done.

Zoe

nib95 said:
Wait what the hell. That doesn't make sense, that makes it sound like GT5's NPD sales actually seem in-line with past performances. Any idea of GT5's Japanese and European numbers in comparison to GT4?

Sales by second week courtesy of Chris1964 in the Media Create topic:

{03/01/05 - 09/01/05} 01. [PS2] Gran Turismo 4 (SCE) {28/12/04} - 145.027 / 779.796
{29/11/10 - 05/12/10} 05. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (SCE) {25/11/10} - 55.682 / 486.389

kswiston

8.4mil for Black Ops is unbelievable. I really thought the Call of Duty series had hit its peak with Modern Warfare 2, but Black Op's first month beat it by 30%.

Dai101

Banned
Snuggler said:

madmentrophyxii7.gif

ug002819rb6z.gif

Don't know if it's accurate since i've never watched Madmen though....

Top Bottom