• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

vpance

What's going to happen when they stop giving away X1s?

They'll make $349 permanent, and probably stay within a stones throw of PS4 month-to-month, as in like sub 50k difference. The momentum could be real, Dec will paint a better picture. Then they turn up the heat again in their "primetime" season. I think this is the most realistic scenario for now.

allan-bh

Keeping the price at $329 going in to 2015 will ensure XB1 remains competitive.

Hope Sony cuts the price to $299 just to see MS scrambling again.

I don't think Sony will be much agressive. Price will drop in a comfortable pace.

They can't enter in a crazy price cut war, MS has deep pockets.

They'll make $349 permanent, and probably stay within a stones throw of PS4 month-to-month, as in like sub 50k difference. The momentum could be real, Dec will paint a better picture. Then they turn up the heat again in their "primetime" season. I think this is the most realistic scenario for now.

Dinference is next year Sony will actually be competitive and drop the price.

... I think

Elandyll

Banned
To be "fair" Amazon can't compite selling stand alone PS4 at 399$ when Gamestop is selling GTA V/TLOU bundle + camera at same price.

Aye, up until Wednesday Gameztop had 5 PS4 Skus ahead of the first XB1, including spot #1 and 2 in sales. Must have sold out of those but it looks !ike for them PS4 is still #1 in consoles.

orochi91

I don't think Sony will be much agressive. Price will drop in a comfortable pace.

They can't enter in a crazy price cut war, MS has deep pockets.

Yea, my $299 assumption is going off what they did with the PS2, where they took off $100 after a couple years on the market.

Loofy

Actually this is one time I disagree with you. It's a firesale and it devalues your brand to be sure and a risky proposition but if ms can catch up even firesale style, you may just be able to sell some software and get the ball rolling... Makes it more interesting if gap just dropped by 40%
Whats with all the firesale comments? MS removed a $120 camera and dropped the price a bit. The PS3 had bigger 'firesale' prices its second year.

MilesTeg

Banned
I have a feeling the Xbox One manufacturing costs aren't as high as many think. Sony was selling the PS3 at a $120 - $200 loss for more than two years and I don't remember people giving them **** for that.

Well you aren't remembering right because that was always a big talking point at the time. Since the day PS3 released.

Rajang

Keeping the price at $329 going in to 2015 will ensure XB1 remains competitive.

Hope Sony cuts the price to $299 just to see MS scrambling again.

I was nodding along in agreement until I reached your part about Jak 2 lol

Jak 2 is one of the greatest games ever, leading to Jak 3 which took everything that made Jak 2 great up another level.

Wow, really? I absolutely loved Jak and Daxter as a fun platformer with charming characters. I really disliked Jak 2 for alot of reasons, they were trying to emulate GTA3's success way too hard and it ruined the core gameplay of Jak and Daxter. Jak had to be all edgy, and the game was suddenly "open world" in an ugly city. Having to use cars with horrific driving physics, shoehorning garbage shooting mechanics, awful checkpoint system during missions. There were so many frustrating missions. I dont think I remember many missions in the game where I was actually having FUN. Jak 3 was slightly better. I just dont think the cars, the city and the guns fit in Jak and Daxter.

Dinference is next year Sony will actually be competitive and drop the price.

... I think

I always assumed they were going to drop to $349 at e3. They should go ahead and do it now for total domination. People will get what their friends are playing and every Xbox under the Christmas tree is atleast 2 lost PS4 sales in the future.

Korigama

So, 7-10k actually turned out to be over 400k...seems even maintaining a lead against such a troubled system is expecting too much from Sony. Perhaps NA will be Xbox territory again by the time I finally have a reason to get a PS4.

They have two core teams so technically a 3-4'ywar cycle for each main game now but you are correct. IMO the naughty gods are the best talented and most effecient studio out there.

I get what you're saying, but I'm talking in terms of release interval between games.

I would love for a new ND game every year, but that's not the reality of game development anymore. Games take anywhere from 3-5 years to make from planning to shipping these days.

orochi91

Wow, really? I absolutely loved Jak and Daxter as a fun platformer with charming characters. I really disliked Jak 2 for alot of reasons, they were trying to emulate GTA3's success way too hard and it ruined the core gameplay of Jak and Daxter. Jak had to be all edgy, and the game was suddenly "open world" in an ugly city. Having to use cars with horrific driving physics, shoehorning garbage shooting mechanics, awful checkpoint system during missions. There were so many frustrating missions. I dont think I remember many missions in the game where I was actually having FUN. Jak 3 was slightly better. I just dont think the cars, the city and the guns fit in Jak and Daxter.

I see where you're coming from.

My problem is that I've never actually played the first game in the trilogy.

Jak 2 was my starting point.

I have the HD collection so I'll give that a shot someday and if the first game holds up to your praise :p

Didn't chart though :(

To be fair, I can't recall much advertisement for the game.

At least here in Canada :/

x-Lundz-x

I'm not that far into it but so far it has GOTY written all over it. I just thought it would have been way up the list based on the amazing reviews it got.

AuRoN89

Banned
I get what you're saying, but I'm talking in terms of release interval between games.

I would love for a new ND game every year, but that's not the reality of game development anymore. Games take anywhere from 3-5 years to make from planning to shipping these days.
Tell that to activision, dice and ubisoft.

I'm of the opinion most console manufacturers would prefer a single $100 drop than 2 $50 drops if at all possible as they can put all the marketing effort behind one singular push that has weight instead of two separate smaller pushes but maybe that's just me.

You can be such a sweetie-pie when you want to Swift!

Ha! Injuries suck but at least you have a night's worth of entertainment at your fingertips

C4Lukins

Actually this is one time I disagree with you. It's a firesale and it devalues your brand to be sure and a risky proposition but if ms can catch up even firesale style, you may just be able to sell some software and get the ball rolling... Makes it more interesting if gap just dropped by 40%

It is not a firesale though. It is a 50 dollars price reduction after a year, with limited 70 dollar sales on certain days in limited quantities at certain retailers, with typical holliday game bundles in the mix.

Removing Kinect and selling the console at 100 dollars less does not equate to a 100 dollar discount. Despite any greivances people have with Kinect, that hardware is not cheap. And these claims of MS taking a substantial loss on the XOne holliday deals seems to be assumed, and not substantiated.

Healthy console market all around! MS Blew past Wii and PS2 second Novembers and the PS4 was within 100K of the PS2s!

I find that particularly amazing, especially since if you were to add the PS3, 360's and Wiis second Novembers together, the PS4+Xbox One (Even without the Wii U) beat that total handily (940K+511K+466K).

Makes me feel better about the dying Handheld market and Wii U. Sad this was likely Wii U's biggest year unless theres some major price shifting next year.

GHG

jXOOi03z4bWML.png

jAWP4G0Rn3xcl.png

Pages 47 and 53

So everybody is just speculating at the moment and nobody knows which of these two pie charts is true?

Meh, I'll come back when there are real numbers.

PhatSaqs

Banned
It is not a firesale though. It is a 50 dollars price reduction after a year, with limited 70 dollar sales on certain days in limited quantities at certain retailers, with typical holliday game bundles in the mix.

Removing Kinect and selling the console at 100 dollars less does not equate to a 100 dollar discount. Despite any greivances people have with Kinect, that hardware is not cheap. And these claims of MS taking a substantial loss on the XOne holliday deals seems to be assumed, and not substantiated.

This is a good post.

orochi91

Activision : Call of Duty (3 studios on a 3-year release interval)
DICE : 500-strong dev team with a 2-year release interval (2011/BF3,2013/BF4,2015:Star Wars)
Ubisoft : 1000+ dev team across 8+ studios.

I despise Ubi's method of pumping games out.

Especially if AC:U is any indication of their current gen output.

Top Bottom