• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

No, he has been wrong many times. Don't care to list them, someone else can. But main one being snap was broken (retail) and chat was being released broken (rather than being different fro 360)

I don't know if you had an Xbox at launch but chat was most definitely broken. I had to use skype for 3 months instead.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
That's what happens when companies have a big hit on their hands, & starts milking their franchises year after year.

People start to get franchise fatigue, & then the franchise drops off the face of the earth entirely, like with Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, etc., & the same will soon happen to other franchises like COD & Assassin's Creed. Franchises like GTA are still big because Rockstar takes their time & spreads the releases of those games out, & is not a yearly franchise.
Yup. GTA is well on its way to being a franchise that spans decades the way Mario, Zelda, and Metal Gear have. The only thing that could derail it at this point is a larger company absorbing Take 2, but it will have at least hit year 20 before they could possibly milk it to death. Take 2 has done very well by Rockstar North by giving them the time they need to make each game.

Sorry I'm using Dark theme and the text just sticks out like a collection of little bright lights digging into my eyes with flare guns and torches.

Love ya Mpl90 and Aqua.

NateDrake

Bayonetta hasn't crossed 100k yet (though It has with digital, since it's only like 5k away).

I suppose that's something, at least it's big growth since their latest Wii U title.
At least out the gate. LTD they are practically tied, which is kind of funny.

Does that mean W101 has hit near 100k or am I reading this wrong?

Orgen

Bayonetta hasn't crossed 100k yet (though It has with digital, since it's only like 5k away).

I suppose that's something, at least it's big growth since their latest Wii U title.
At least out the gate. LTD they are practically tied, which is kind of funny.

So The wonderful haven't reached 101K yet? :(

Are you counting bayonetta sales in the digital numbers too? (I think it should be a very small
Number) And one last question, is there a huge difference between W101 and Bayonetta digital sales or are they almost tied too?

Thanks as always!

No surprise to see a console practically given away for free getting high sales, this must have cost MS a lot of cash.

Even so, you're still talking Wii caliber November. At a higher price.

MS did good. They might have been bleeding like crazy to do it, but you have to be a fanboy of epic proportions not to be impressed. Highest first November for any platform.

Also set a new record on the Oct-Nov monthly multiplier too didn't they?

creamsugar, how many units did Disney Infinity sell?

HBRevYf.gif

botty
Disney Infinity is the greatest, most successful game ever made. I LOVE DISNEY INFINITY.
(Yesterday, 09:55 PM)

Sorry Disney Infinity lover....Disney Infinity 2.0 is -30% launch-to-date compared to the original.

And that is why I completely understand why Sony, Microsoft and even Nintendo are chasing indie games, and why I don't understand why some gamers dismiss them. They are a breeding ground for new creative ideas in a time when the industry desperately needs it. Plus, they introduce games at a lower price point and for a much wider audience than most AAA releases today.

Fully agree, but some don't see it that way.

I don't get it why, it's not like these games inhibit the ability to enjoy other games.

WTF @ Microsoft not shouting from the rooftops that they sold more XBones than PS4s + Wii Us combined.

Where is J Allard or Don Mattrick when you need them. WTF is Major Nelson doing?

It was probably their only opportunity to do so.

Also set a new record on the Oct-Nov monthly multiplier too didn't they?

quick, check to make sure Vita didn't dive so hard in October that the multiplier ended up being higher despite trash November numbers :p

You enjoy destroying what others love enough to make me feel uncomfortable and I currently have a 72 year old mans hand on my thigh so I know uncomfortable.

not sure you know this or not, but botty got that tag because of his hate for Disney Infinity, so that's good news for him ;)

allan-bh

WTF @ Microsoft not shouting from the rooftops that they sold more XBones than PS4s + Wii Us combined.

Where is J Allard or Don Mattrick when you need them. WTF is Major Nelson doing?

I found the PR boring, but I understand, they don't want to make too much noise because they will not always win and PS4 is in better shape this gen.

botty
Disney Infinity is the greatest, most successful game ever made. I LOVE DISNEY INFINITY.
(Yesterday, 09:55 PM)

Sorry Disney Infinity lover....Disney Infinity 2.0 is -30% launch-to-date compared to the original.
You enjoy destroying what others love enough to make me feel uncomfortable and I currently have a 72 year old mans hand on my thigh so I know uncomfortable.

quick, check to make sure Vita didn't dive so hard in October that the multiplier ended up being higher despite trash November numbers :p
Haha!

That's a good point...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I found the PR boring, but I understand, they don't want to make too much noise because they will not always win and PS4 is in better shape this gen.

Yes, several publishers have stopped reporting sales figures for this same reason.

When they don't reveal sales figures, suddenly it becomes suspicious, but if they never do, then it's just a cloud of mystery.

Monthly Powerhouse™ vs PSP comparison as it seems jcm still hasn't updated the chart.
Code:
        3DS 2014  PSP 2008  NDS 2008
January       97       230       251
February     153       243       587
March        159       297       698
April        106       193       415
May           97       182       452
June         152       337       783
July         108       222       608
August        91       253       518
September    141       238       537
October      138       193       491
November     515       421      1570
December              1020      3040
Through 
November     1757     2809      6910

Total                 3829      9950

3DS wins! (going to lose december though as 3DS barely sold a million last year and this year it has been down yoy every month).

Edit. Fixed the numbers.

Interfectum

Yes, several publishers have stopped reporting sales figures for this same reason.

When they don't reveal sales figures, suddenly it becomes suspicious, but if they never do, then it's just a cloud of mystery.

They could be waiting for a "Christmas Season" sales figure before bragging. Then they wouldn't feel obligated to go month-to-month with actual data.

joecanada

Why are all these insiders being so vague? If they know why the hell don't they just come out and say it? Nope, yep, the moon is black, sun is white. Ugh.

Is this your first npd thread? They avoid heat and don't owe us shit and often retreat when challenged like this. Don't ruin it for everyone else

Monthly Powerhouse™ vs PSP comparison as it seems jcm still hasn't updated the chart.
Code:
Through 
October     1757      2388      5340

3DS wins! (going to lose december though as 3DS barely sold a million last year and this year it has been down yoy every month).

your thing says "through October", then your 3DS figure includes November, while the other two don't

I almost did a double take thinking the DS did 4.6m in a single December you know :p

allan-bh

Code:
Through 
October     1757      2388      5340

So, 3DS lost every month for PSP except november.

Handhelds market is sad these days.

allan-bh

Don't know how shareholders are okay with this.

Skux

You generally don't acknowledge the competition when you do press releases like this. You're always the best, all the time.

Why are all these insiders being so vague? If they know why the hell don't they just come out and say it? Nope, yep, the moon is black, sun is white. Ugh.
You want Gaffers to get caught up in mutli-thousand dollar lawsuits and find out NPD's lawyer is this guy?

The_Wire_Levy.jpg

Me thinks not, buddy. Me thinks not.

lyrick

Code:
Through 
November     1757     2809      6910

Edit. Fixed the numbers.

Can we get a Vita column?

aaronwt

Oh god it's only been 3 years? I wonder where this franchise will be in 2020.

Probably still doing well with more digital sales. I've spent a boatload on PS4 and Xbox One games during the last year. But none of it is counted since they are all digital.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Bayonetta 2 first month - 68,000
Bayonetta 2 second month - 27,000

Including first month's digital sales (10% of overall sales), it's surely at 102,560 units sold

It's been a while since the last time we got a Tomodachi Life update, though.

ouch 100K in two months... so is this the end for Bayonetta?

Nintendo even tried to push it with ads iirc, but 100K in two month is just way too low. it seems like not many of the Bayo 1 owners really want the sequel and I don't see Nintendo giving it a sequel after this and I don't see SEGA doing that as well (they already didn't want a Bayo2 in first place) and someone else getting Bayo 3 for its console will not make sense since people will missed Bayo 2.

No surprise to see a console practically given away for free getting high sales, this must have cost MS a lot of cash.

I hardly call $300 free. I'm sure Microsoft took a loss on the consoles for November ,and will for December, but it was probably within the realm of what it might cost to do a massive marketing campaign.

They needed to change the mindshare, folks need to se al of their 360 friends now playing on the One. They needed PS4 users to give the One a shot.

Once they get done with the holidays, they need to see if their Input One strategy works. I can tell you it is a huge part of why no one in my family buys and plays Wii U games. Having One box to bounce from TV to Netflix to Games to Apps to Socialize makes keeping within the ecosystem a pretty nice benefit.

I don't know if it will continue to work for everyone, but this is the plan, as far as I can tell.

But yeah, you won't see a ton of Microsoft crowing because it will lead to exactly the discussion you are trying to have. The problem is, I don't get a share of any profits from a console manufacturer, So I would prefer they error on the side of adding to the install base, which provides a player base which provides publishers the confidence to fun developers to create for my console of choice.

As far as I'm concerned, the XB1 has been teetering on going full Dreamcast if the momentum didn't change. I think it was a pretty wise move to for Microsoft to spend capital on changing that momentum.

BadWolf

Nintendo even tried to push it with ads iirc, but 100K in two month is just way too low. it seems like not many of the Bayo 1 owners really want the sequel and I don't see Nintendo giving it a sequel after this and I don't see SEGA doing that as well (they already didn't want a Bayo2 in first place) and someone else getting Bayo 3 for its console will not make sense since people will missed Bayo 2.

Not on WiiU anyway.

Welfare

I think it's more that Bayo 1 fans don't want to buy a Wii U for a sequel.

Top Bottom