• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

It over, pack it up

HTExfZs.gif

Lol, what the hell is this from?

They haven't done NPD PR in years.

edit: well there's that apparently:

"We are thrilled with the incredible momentum seen at retail heading into the holiday shopping season. PS4 is the cumulative leader in hardware sales and was #1 on the Amazon Video Games Bestseller list on Black Friday. On the network side, November was the biggest month ever in PlayStation Store history with a nearly 50 percent increase in unique visitors compared to last year. We couldn’t have done any of this without the support of our fans. The immediate success of PlayStation Experience and celebration of the 20th Anniversary demonstrates tremendous dedication to the PlayStation platform. We are humbled by the loyalty of our fans and look forward to amazing them in 2015."

Oh man...

rpg_fan

Grimløck;143121139 said:
MS stomped sony in november and they're still ~700k behind in the US?

Well yeah. Doesn't the 400k-ish Nov. lead just make up for Sept/Oct? There's a whole year of trailing to make up for. Give them time.

Please provide examples.
Bad/non existent exclusive fall lineup
No "temporary" $50-$70 price drops on the system
PSN still sucks even though we're paying for it now but it was excusable when it was free
PS+ games are a bunch of dirty indies that no one likes
Driveclub didn't work for like two months

I think that about wraps it up.

I'm not actually spinning anything. I'm just rationalizing what happened. Is it good to make huge loss or not? Will it provide that much income that it will cover last month's losses? Personally I'd rather make profit than lose money to get people introduced to my platform. Microsoft can afford these kind of stunts, but will it pay off at all? Xbone will lose worldwide, is it wise to dump money into a market or two when there's no promise that you'll make any profit? Decisions, decisions...

Just my 2 coppers.

The answer is yes. At the low end of an estimate, most gamers will buy a xblg subscription and on average 4 or 5 games a year.(I spent over $1000 on games this year). I read somewhere that last gen, each owner of the x360 and PS3 were worth about $500 a year on average. Taking a $100+ loss to reap that reward is an easy and long term strategy this early in the cycle.

I'm not actually spinning anything. I'm just rationalizing what happened. Is it good to make huge loss or not? Will it provide that much income that it will cover last month's losses? Personally I'd rather make profit than lose money to get people introduced to my platform. Microsoft can afford these kind of stunts, but will it pay off at all? Xbone will lose worldwide, is it wise to dump money into a market or two when there's no promise that you'll make any profit? Decisions, decisions...

Just my 2 coppers.

I didn't mean to imply that you are the one that's spinning, more that however you look at it a healthy increase in your base is always good business sense, especially if the new acquisition's spend rate is high enough.

Bad/non existent exclusive fall lineup
No "temporary" $50-$70 price drops on the system
PSN still sucks even though we're paying for it now but it was excusable when it was free
PS+ games are a bunch of dirty indies that no one likes
Driveclub didn't work for like two months

I think that about wraps it up.

It's not that they're dirty, it's just hard to get excited about indies that you've played already and can be found super cheap on Steam or even Sony's own ecosystem.

rpg_fan

February, September, and October.

Well, there you go. I know people are excited, but have some perspective. MS had to have a record setting month, likely losing huge amounts of money, just to make up for what ground they lost in 'pre-season' months. Fans on either side declaring either MS dominance or Sony defeat are just fooling themselves. Relax a bit, see what both companies do going forward.

QaaQer

I do think Sony needs to put their foot down on delivering the features they promised during the PS4's initial reveal though.

Remember the suspend/resume feature they revealed long before the Xbox One reveal?

I also remember Cerny promising that every single game would have a demo, and that PSN would feature an intelligent reading of your game history to map out your preferences and download full games you may like so you would start your console and they would be there for you to try, with nothing else needed than to pay for the full game unlock should you have wanted the game.

What happened to that?

I don't know if it's a resources issue or a complacency issue, but if it's the latter, Sony better not piss about, and realise they are in the fight of their life here and nothing should be left to chance.

Pretty sure none of that was advertised or promotional material meant for the public. And IIRC, it was stuff they wanted to do, not promised to do. No need to be indignant. Now that Vita thing...

I was reading the thread and saw the CBOAT bomb. But I noticed he was banned and the thread has 148 pages. Was the information wrong or did the thread exploded because it was confirmed?

Sometimes people that say they know the most...

NPD is just one tool in the analytics toolbox but it plays an important role across 1st party, 3rd party and retail.

Limitations exist, obviously, but to think that any of these companies would rather fly blind to many sales trends than have NPD is ludicrous.

They haven't done NPD PR in years.

edit: well there's that apparently:

"We are thrilled with the incredible momentum seen at retail heading into the holiday shopping season. PS4 is the cumulative leader in hardware sales and was #1 on the Amazon Video Games Bestseller list on Black Friday. On the network side, November was the biggest month ever in PlayStation Store history with a nearly 50 percent increase in unique visitors compared to last year. We couldn’t have done any of this without the support of our fans. The immediate success of PlayStation Experience and celebration of the 20th Anniversary demonstrates tremendous dedication to the PlayStation platform. We are humbled by the loyalty of our fans and look forward to amazing them in 2015."

Oh....wow. Wow that's just.....that's quite sad, actually. Reminds me of some of the "awards sources" placed in that one Destiny advertisement. Did Sony do this just to make MS feel even better?

It over, pack it up

HTExfZs.gif
Now that's just mean. He's supposed to be Santee Claus, not the Green Grinch.

Yep. Anyone else notice they've been getting arrogant/complacent again?
Wat? They just did a special show for the fans they could have easily chosen not to do and just wait until E3. How is that being complacent? Is this satire?

Gestault

Just catching up now. I really wish that Sony response was just more broad about their success throughout the year, and the strong sales for the month leading into the most important sales segment of the year. What they went with didn't come across well, having the information we do.

Welfare

Just catching up now. I really wish that Sony response was just more broad about their success throughout the year, and the strong sales for the month leading into the most important sales segment of the year. What they went with didn't come across well, having the information we do.

Theres always next month :p

Anion

I'm pretty thankful for the entertainment I have had because of this thread. Thanks to all and cboat lol
those first few pages are gold lmao

Kunan

If it's ~$100 per console, then it's 120 million dollar loss, while Sony made good profit. So who's the actual winner? :)
MS did well this month because those people will passively or actively pressure their other friends to get an Xbox one like them so they can play together. It's like what happens with steam sales. There's a large spike of people buying at a reduced rate and then after there are a number of people that buy it cause they see everyone on their list playing it. They can't just sit around and let everyone convince eachother to only buy PS4s. I'd argue that a lot of momentum of a console's sales lies in hitting the sweet spot of price vs value and the spreading effect of peoples' friends and their friends and their friends all buying it.

As far as "winning" the month goes, it's largely irrelevant. Sony has proven they can keep selling just fine as is, and MS has finally gained some mindshare. Songs win was a win made a year ago. MS' win is a win made this month.

I say all this as a PS4 owner.

So you're saying that ... Sony ... can never win?

:(

image.php

Lol. Sony will win this generation, I think MS is too far behind in WW numbers. My point is that there should be no concern if MS lost $120 million, that's a drop in the bucket to them. The mindshare they obtained in November is greater than the $120 million they potentially lost

I didn't mean to imply that you are the one that's spinning, more that however you look at it a healthy increase in your base is always good business sense, especially if the new acquisition's spend rate is high enough.

There is some question if this is, in fact, a healthy increase in the base.

If it's largely people who have no plans to get Xbox Live, people who will buy a handful of games ever, they may never make up the $ they just gave away. Like people who already have PS4s and have no plans to buy multi-plats on the One.

womfalcs3

Banned
MS because those people will passively or actively pressure their other friends to get an Xbox one like them so they can play together. It's like what happens with steam sales. There's a large spike of people buying at a reduced rate and then after there are a number of people that buy it cause they see everyone on their list playing it. They can't just sit around and let everyone convince eachother to only buy PS4s. I'd argue that a lot of momentum of a console's sales lies in hitting the sweet spot of price vs value and the spreading effect of peoples' friends and their friends and their friends all buying it.

I say all this as a PS4 owner.

There are still significantly more PS4 owners. What we saw this month is the response to price... Period. Customers will respond with lower demand once the price is raised again to its original value.

The gap will eventually increase again.

Kunan

There are still significantly more PS4 owners. What we saw this month is the response to price... Period. Customers will respond with lower demand once the price is raised again to its original value.

The gap will eventually increase again.
Of course this month was a response to price. The point is that there can be a ripple effect where people buy the same console as their friends. I'm not saying the gap will close. I'm saying MS needs as many people as they can get actively championing their device so that others will buy it too, to slow the gap widening. If they sit around then they will just march onwards towards comparative irrelevance. Instead, they now have over a million new people feeding long term money into their ecosystem and increasing their spread through their friends,

Noobcraft

Get real

The Xbox divison doesn't get a blank check
It pretty much does though... This is the same company that spends billions per year on R&D for somewhat useless things like illumiroom.

Xbox leverages a lot of resources from other divisions too (cloud, windows, bing, etc.) which get more exposure through the Xbox.

It pretty much does though... This is the same company that spends billions per year on R&D for somewhat useless things like illumiroom.

Xbox leverages a lot of resources from other divisions too (cloud, windows, bing, etc.) which get more exposure through the Xbox.

If that where true some of the board of directors and investors wouldn't want the Xbox divison killed or sold off and it's only gonna be worse over time the more money the Xbox division loses or spends.

Bing is irrelevant and dying will eventually get killed off too IMO

Top Bottom