• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

It's bad. COD is in serious decline.

God please let it be so

See now would be the perfect time to drop a FFXV holiday 2015 and it sell 10,000,000 so then companies would try and copy it for the next 5 years or so. Bring back the golden age of JRPG again ... but this time with a bit more action

Mikey Jr.

Sony really had jack shit for the holidays.

What they should have done.

1. Release the fucking GTA bundle on November 18th to coincide with the release of GTA. Why wait all the way until November 28th?

2. Put an extra game in there. Even a first party one. Infamous would have been good.

3. Do a temp price drop to $349 for Black Friday only.

They would probably still lost, but not by 400k.

One thing is certain, America is going to be a real battleground.

Duxxy3

So what if CBOAT meant there's a 710k LTD difference? That's pretty close to the numbers some people have already guessed.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
DPE= Dudebro Penis Enlarger

So NPD threads in a nutshell.

1. Release the fucking GTA bundle on November 18th to coincide with the release of GTA. Why wait all the way until November 28th?

2. Put an extra game in there. Even a first party one. Infamous would have been good.

I picked up my PS4 GTAV Bundle for $360 in December.

But that's not what happened. When XBO was equal to PS4 price, PS4 still decimated it. And it did so additionally during every XBO price drop point.

So no, it wasn't just about price. Consumers had determined there were real value decreasing elements to XBO, and they felt the downsides of the platform would only be acceptable at a price point lower than the competition, $349.99 v. $399.99.

Now the question becomes if they return to 399.99 price point (can't imagine they will), and if not how will the numbers settle in off holiday months?

Read my post again. I didn't say equal price, I said equal or better value and for the weaker console this means a cheaper price. If you look through my post history you'll see that I was saying months ago that Microsoft has to make the Xbox at least $50 cheaper, preferably with a game packed in in order to fight back. Many people said that even with that there was no way for Microsoft to close the gap. Yet here we are. Price IS king. Microsoft are not going to return to the $399 price.

Rembrandt

Banned
No he has not at all.

Case in point number 1: Titanfall

A farce he should have been permed for though he was banned. Putting developers at risk for sales loss over total BS is an offense that shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.

yup, he was hellbent on his angle, too. I stopped taking him seriously when he implied there was a trainwreck with the XB1 around launch. E3 confirmed he bullshits a lot.

Hubble

CBOAT's "leaks" are worthless now anyways. He was flat out wrong about the Titanfall stuff and somehow escaped the banhammer and now he came back just to troll. No longer trustworthy at this point.

Agree. People were theorizing back then that he was trying to badmouth MS especially with the absurd Titanfall stuff. Looks like they were right. The TF and now this are just so blatant trolling that makes him look terribly bitter. The last time Cboat leaked something decent has been loonnggggg agooo :(

Probably a few million still. Microsoft is closing the gap in NA(US/Canada), UK and Australia which last generation were heavily weighted toward X360. But Sony has locked up Japan, and most of Europe still. But like last generation, Microsoft just needs to be competitive in Europe and North America to be successful.

Lmao the ww gap is closer to 7 moll and growing.... The ww gap is not going down... And Australia ps4 is outsell ING x1. Ms won one month in one country.... Xbox outsold ps2 some holidays..... Your getting ahead of yourself.

Bgamer90

Banned
I did not expect Xbox One to win by so much (400K). Crazy.

Also, those Wii U sales are surprising too. Thought it would do much better due to the Holiday rush and Smash.

Biker19

Banned
Kick to the balls what? It ruins NeoGAF credibility to have unverified stuff stated as fact. Do you know how influential this board is? People on reddit and twitter were already talking about CBoaT numbers when they're found to not be true.

Likewise, he did the same for TitanFall and was proven wrong by developers. If he wants to share info cool, but have some perspective. Don't come into the most anticipated NPD thread in a year, drop a vague number on the first page of all places, completely derail discussion and not back it up with facts or why he even stated that number.

This. What CBOAT had done was not only ruining his reputation, but could've also ruined this site's reputation as well by giving false info like this, as almost every gaming site or every gaming news site uses NeoGAF as a source of credible info.

when they seen their competitor lower their price, and offered games for free. They should had matched it, or even lowered theirs further, but instead they kept the same price. I don't think I need to repeat myself on the quality of exclusives....Didn't they learn a lesson with the PS3, with the higher price? I call that arrogance.

Or because Sony can't exactly afford to lower the price tag as of yet.

Loakum

Banned
Explain how "arrogant Sony" reared its head again?

when they seen their competitor lower their price, and offered games for free. They should had matched it, or even lowered theirs further, but instead they kept the same price. I don't think I need to repeat myself on the quality of exclusives....Didn't they learn a lesson with the PS3, with the higher price? I call that arrogance.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
White chart = Black Friday.
Black chart = month.

Quote me on it!

Done. Happy?

This thread was the most entertaining NPD thread since i started following them.

Xbone won! Oh, it's 7-10k! Pyrrhus! Pyrrhus! It was all for nothing! Oh, cboat might be wrong? Black pie? What's this sorcery? Black pie means black friday, no? Right? Right? Please be right!

Oh, man, as a neutral in this war this is damn funny. Go Amiibo!

GamerJM

Banned
CoD is down but its numbers are still ridiculously high, it's clearly not dying any time soon

Though I'm sure Activision is worried, they need a new cash cow and I don't think Destiny will cut it.

Amir0x

Banned
Screw the console talk, those are baaaaaaaad COD numbers. Which is a bit of a shame, because apparently it's much better than last year's game.

Blame these companies. They milk and milk and milk, eventually people move on. it's the rare franchise that can weather that shit, and usually they do it by maintaining a very high quality. Which the COD franchise didn't do, it was more like ups and big downs (I mean I dislike COD altogether, but the consensus is definitely on the "the quality is wildly inconsistent" side). This version might have been an up, but the market is already conditioned to step back. Series is gonna keep declining. I wish AC: Unity wasn't a pack in so we could have seen how its performance was minus the attach, I wanted to see if that had a real decline vs. past AC.

sense

yea never understood why they waited till black friday for the bundle. oh well they probably wanted to make as much money as possible and do deals when they have bigger games coming next year.

CoD is down but its numbers are still ridiculously high, it's clearly not dying any time soon

Though I'm sure Activision is worried, they need a new cash cow and I don't think Destiny will cut it.

I also wonder how it did digitally. And how many bundle XB1's were sold. It's hard to get a good sense for any decline without these numbers.

Drekken

Neo Member
I still strongly doubt that'll happen. They have, like, nothing on offer for the first half of 2015. Meanwhile PS4 is getting at least 3 AAA exclusives (if you count MLB), quite a few mid-tiers and indies (admittedly XBO is also getting some indies).

MS is just really lacking on the one thing a game system needs the most : games, during the non-holiday months of the year. They'll be needing 3 mil+ leads for every holiday here on to keep up w/ PS4 in NA, let alone pass them.

If price were the only factor here, why did that not work for cheaper systems in 6th gen?

Sony is going to drop their price. The games are going to keep swarming the ps4 and order will be restored. Good for Microsoft winning a month, but for people to start planning the comeback parade is just silly. Ms was selling their console for 300 bucks with 3 games. It really isn't a surprising win.

orochi91

Yes but they won't have all the pack ins and deals, and they won't have any stand out releases to drive sales.

I still strongly
MS is just really lacking on the one thing a game system needs the most : games, during the non-holiday months of the year. They'll be needing 3 mil+ leads for every holiday here on to keep up w/ PS4 in NA, let alone pass them.

If price were the only factor here, why did that not work for cheaper systems in 6th gen?

Surely 3rd party titles will keep the XB1 afloat until holiday 2015?

Those tend to sell the more than exclusives anyways.

The Witcher 3 and Evolve will be out, not to mention DS2 remastered and the glut of games released during this holiday season.

To be fair to everyone I'm gonna step away from doing any sales talk from now on. Take your normal sources and go with them.

Trying to be an insider on GAF is waaay too stressful and there's far too many people whose feelings you can hurt without meaning to.

I apologize for any offense I sturred up in this thread and am gonna step away.

Welfare

Also why didn't MS say they had the best 2nd November? If they spinned "fastest selling" last year, why not be straightforward this month?

Vestal

So what if CBOAT meant there's a 710k LTD difference? That's pretty close to the numbers some people have already guessed.

Doesn't matter really. Like I said in the first few pages of this monstrosity of a thread, the problem is that he let GAF go with the assumption it meant GAP between consoles which caused a fucking shitstorm in this thread.

You can't drop that range on the first page in GAF after a hiatus with the history he has for being a disgruntled MS employee, distort some sort of actual fact for your own personal amusement and get away with it.

yea never understood why they waited till black friday for the bundle. oh well they probably wanted to make as much money as possible and do deals when they have bigger games coming next year.

Considering the bundle basically sold out, maybe it was because they didn't have enough bundles to release them early.

Kayant

Xbox One ~1240k
PS4 ~840K
WiiU ~ 242k

Gap after October: ~1.2 million
Gap now: ~800k

Yh the gap is still there but if they lead December but a similar margin + lead all next year Gap should be closed be this time next year which would have seem so insane some time ago. GG MS. GG.

Top Bottom