• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Again, congrats to MS. Still not remotely interested in a bone, but their deals did the talking this month and sony had to eat that 300 thousand loss. Luckily Sony starting next year has a much stronger advantage in content

Miles X

His numbers are probably off on the gap. But it's conceivable the 360 came on top of WiiU. Someone correct if wrong but it did last month too.)

(For what it's worth mine are too, as for some reason I had them cross last month.)

I had them cross in like, August, but apparantly that was wrong so I adjusted to that LTD leak we got a couple of months back. (So just going off that).

Would be good to get some up to date figures tho even though we know 360 > Wii

Welfare

360 overtook Wii in the US this month, Wii U sold like 248k or something (don't feel like looking up exact number), Wii>360 gap was ~300k before this month. 360 likely outsold the Wii U this month.

I was referring to the 360>Wii U part.

Wii U is fucked if true.

vin-buc

Xbox has some things going for it come the new year (perhaps). I mentioned in an earlier post (adding the caveat of misinterpreted cboat numbers) that MSFT will have some reveal of Windows 10 with Xbox integration. Depending on what thay integration is this can be a big headline.

The second is that amd is actively working on shrinking chip size which means a potential redesign making a more slim, attractive box at the $349 price.

I understand Sony can do the same with redesign plans so I'm only speaking for Xbox.

Just realised I had the 360 - Wii gap at 300k before this month. So it looks like 360 outsold WiiU ...

I will wait on this, because the 360/Wii gap is not going to be very accurate any more with so many estimations, but if so....damn it

Pretty sure they meant 360 has officially overtaken Wii as USA market leader.

well yeah, but if it the gap was 300k before this month then it would have pulled >300k this month

I certainly consider the imminent Witcher 3 bundle more of a system seller than something like The Order.

But that's just an assumption on my part.

Witcher 3 is a PC-centric franchise that's very story-critical (more so than DA), with the first game never appeared on consoles, and 2nd game was a late 360 port.

I expect Witcher 3 to do better than Witcher 2, in due to its 'wow' factor that will draw in new audiences, but it's doubtful as a system seller.

Morpheus is their only hope I think. They need a big differentiator against Xbox, because as it is now people are diving for those fire sale prices without a regard for 1.3TF, 900p whatever.

"Only hope" lmao. Microsoft wins one month and suddenly Sony is doomed and Morpheus is its "only hope".

Any indicators on the 3DS?

Also, even if MS outsold the PS4 by a few hundred thousand, why in the world would Sony loses tens of millions of dollars or more to drop the price. If they drop the price by 50 dollars and move 2 million units they lose 100 million dollars and for what? The PS4 will easily outsell the Xbox One Worldwide.

Faustek

People can get invested in their arguments/predictions.

To be fair, though, this 'leak' was pretty egregious.

PS4 price drop is probably incoming around next summer, i'd think. Depends on if that MS lead continues over the next few months.

Unfortunately it seems so yes. People are never at their best when their passion is being challenged :/

Anyway, I actually just see problems for MS. Come January and they'll have the Steam/Humble Bundle problem.
People expect a *sale* or a price cut. They must stick to their current price model sans the games if they want to keep their momentum* else we'll be back with $399 consoles. The casual market wont pick that up.

Game4life

Banned
If MS's prospects are heavily dependent on the US and UK this gen, then I can only ever see them topping at around 40-50 million.

Sony will likely double that when it's all said and done.

Personally waiting on that sub $200 price.

Though it may not come anytime soon if Nintendo's intent is generating as much profits as possible before announcing a successor.

Even if MS end up at 50-60 million it will be great for them. Should be profitable enough to continue forward positively next gen. I doubt Sony will not respond with a price cut or agressive pricing in the US soon though.

HOOOOLY SHIT. lol MS wins a month and some people genuinely believe thats it for PS4. lol. I mean please tell me this is satire right? PS4 wins 10 months straight and MS wins a single month in the US only and you're saying PS4 has no hope? fucking LOL.
MS will easily win December, too.

And why is that? Genuinely asking. Is it that big of a deal to be outsold for a few months in a single territory. They are still going to maintain a lead worldwide and will take the profit with them. They have a strong lineup for 2015, and MS does not have a whole lot on deck for the early part of 2015. I'd say the only company that needs to do anything with regards to price is MS needs to keep the price at $349.

Sony I think has had a plan all along for when they will drop the price and this is not going to affect that. Big whoop, they are now "only" ahead by 700-800k units in the US now, and at years end will still likely have over a 500k lead in the US. All the while growing their market share worldwide. So again why do they NEED to do anything, but stick to their plan that has clearly been working out great for them?

You can't sit and wait for the price cut to happen till the time when they really need it

If it were up to me the price cuts would have started in September as Sony with a game sold would be able to afford it.

They need to invest in the longevity of the system not the current state of the system. Microsoft cut the price naturally after losing kinect but they didn't hold back they cut it even more and that's how they won, create a perception of a lower cost and it was a lower cost regardless of what you think of the system and the power and games, they invested in losing money for the survival of the system

Sony could easily drop it to 349 and still make a profit considering how many games they sell per console. By keeping the pace of the sales at a higher clip they can assure more systems are in the consumer hands and more games are sold while still making a profit at the end of the day

Holding back is just being defensive, it's a defensive approach and it will only make them competitive not win outright

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Unfortunately it seems so yes. People are never at their best when their passion is being challenged :/

Anyway, I actually just see problems for MS. Come January and they'll have the Steam/Humble Bundle problem.
People expect a *sale* or a price cut. They must stick to their current price model sans the games if they want to keep their momentum* else we'll be back with $399 consoles. The casual market wont pick that up.

Agree with this. Sony is not having any problems selling nonbundled PS4s at $399. Microsoft has to stay at the price they're at now, it would be insane to go back to $399.

grimmiq

Good move on Microsoft's part to discount and bundle this holiday season, especially vs a weak period in PS4 exclusive releases (Would have probably made much less of a dent if Bloodborne/The Order went up against Sunset and MCC).

People saying it's over for Sony are delusional, $50 discount and 2 AAA games on PS+ in Feb/Mar would see a decent spike in sales and the gap would return as it was.

Any gen for that matter. Cept Snes.

Very true (haha).

Your mistake was assuming that he was alive to begin with. :p

fb0.jpg

Morpheus is their only hope I think. They need a big differentiator against Xbox, because as it is now people are diving for those fire sale prices without a regard for 1.3TF, 900p whatever.

what the shit? even disregarding the idea that Sony needs a 'hope' to maintain sales dominance or level things back out here, if you think Morpheus represents such a hope then you're just plain not thinking straight. Morpheus is cool but it's not the type of thing to sell a console all by its lonesome I don't think

Papacheeks

Banned
Sony's "holiday bundle" is a PS4 with one free game for $399.
Microsoft's bundle is a Xbox One with two games for $349.
Sony's bundle is shit, compared to the MS bundle.

What are you talking about? Are you talking about the GTAV bundles? It comes with 2 free games. GTA V and The last of Us. The other Holiday bundle was Lego Batman 3 and LBP3?

And to your amazon argument, Sony's stock is sold out on amazon Minus the Destiny Bundle 439$ and bare bones vanilla system for 399$.

The other bundles are being sold by third party sellers not amazon. WHich is why it's not tracking in top.

Morpheus isn't going to be big for the everyday gamer. Sorry. Don't see it. 200$ + for an accessory is crazy.
Our preacher (he is a nerd) came to a youth/college age event to hang out witg all of us and show off his new toy -- the New VR headset that uses the Samsung note 4 as a screen.

I was really skeptical, but after trying it, I was floored by how amazing it was, and think there is a lot of potential if done right.

Unfortunately I don't think this gen . Has quite enough power packed in the machines to do it right.
I think next gen. Will be all about VR.

vpance

HOOOOLY SHIT. lol MS wins a month and some people genuinely believe thats it for PS4. lol. I mean please tell me this is satire right? PS4 wins 10 months straight and MS wins a single month in the US only and you're saying PS4 has no hope? fucking LOL.

Sorry man, this thread has been a roller coaster and my views have been too on how it'll all pan out next year. My mind is trying to see all the outcomes at once, it happens sometimes, I apologize :|

Game4life

Banned
I don't know. It's barely a year in with a good 6-8 left. Things will eventually pick up WW

There will not be a single year Xbox one outsells PS4 worldwide. Not a single year. It is never going to happen.

I think people need to take a step back and think.

Why not? Sony has no bundles. No decent price cut. It is most likely that they will lose December as well by a good amount in the US.

"Only hope" lmao. Microsoft wins one month and suddenly Sony is doomed and Morpheus is its "only hope".

Well... and I realize it took some steep cuts and pack-ins to make it possible, but this was a showing for a market leading console in the US. PS4 performing like last gens second placer.

We could be looking at a flip from the prior year if MS holds a lead through the coming year.

Bold One

its going to be a long and interesting generation

Boke1879

This is what happens when a competitor gives 2 free games at a low price lol

What kills me is that people seem to think that these companies care about winning NPD to further some sort of console war.

Both companies are in two different situations. MS had to do this in order to gain market share.

Sony still sold very well at $399. MS may have put a dent into their lead but Sony still holds a 700-800k advantage. Sony is thinking profits. MS is thinking more marketshare.

Top Bottom