• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

orochi91

Its an NPD thread you never know. We have business geniuses here who think Sony should cut the price in reaction to one month of sales.

I imagine Sony will stick to that $399 price until an official drop is announced during E3 for holiday 2015.

It was mentioned earlier, but PS and Insurance are holding Sony up right now.

They likely cannot afford to be reactionary and drop the price ASAP.

Curious: does this mean the XB1 has overtaken the PS4 in America?

So no. Thanks for the replies, guys.

Great month for MS. With the deal they were offering, I would have been amazed if they didn't manage to outsell the PS4. Good job, MS! This is what it looks like when you finally have a great value proposition for consumers.

Seriously, name me a single CONSOLE peripheral (not game accessory) that has had long lasting success when not bundled with the system. Last one that comes to mind is the expansion pack for the N64.

Kinect sold over 25 million units, and it was $99 to $149 dollars depending on if you bought it bundled or standalone.

Sony would be fucking ecstatic if Morpheus sold half of that.

The Lamp

If they hadn't won it would have been troublesome for Microsoft. They lowered the entrance barrier to Xbox One by over $100 in year and included two games.

Sony doesn't need to worry, though. They got great games coming out next year.

prag16

Banned
Geez. Things are more dire for the Wii U than I thought. Nintendo really needs to drop the price.
They're turning a profit right now. And they know Wii U is beyond "saving". Therefore they're not gonna kill their margins with a price cut at this point. Wouldn't make sense.

Journey

Banned
from predictions thread

2731079-13+-+1.gif

OMG ROFL! So appropriate!

Amir0x

Banned
While it's true he was accurate in the past, this past year has been terrible. With so many gaming fans, developers, journalists and executives coming to Gaf everyday for news, updates and discussion, you cannot have someone consistently giving out bad information. It makes the forum look bad. Just look at the first 30 pages or so. You can't risk that happening every time he makes a post. If you're going to post insider information, you can't just post something you hear or read, you have to make absolute, 100%, concrete proof that what you're going to say is true and this past year or so it doesn't seem like cboats done that.

I agree, I said his ban was just. I just disagree with the semi vulture circling wagon thing we're doing after the ban, which is shit on his entire forum history despite being very accurate until a year ago and then like get really mean about it even though he has always been a good person.

He rode the leak train for a while, he used to be accurate, his source went bad this past year. There really is nothing to be angry about, except we no longer should trust his information at face value. Now, his insider status is basically minimal in value. It's not like he went out trying to give wrong information. The appropriate punishment was meted out.

Is it me or is this 3rd or 4th time you typed out basically the same response? I swear, reading through this thread that the same info you typed above has been typed by you a few times over already. Not that you are not providing information about Cboat, but just funny to see the same thing multiple times in the same thread.

No, just different iterations on central themes I have about this month's sales, but not the same posts. Sorry it can inspire nothing more in you but this musing :p

If Sony hands over U.S that easy to MS that isn't a good look. WW is locked for Sony but U.S is very important so it will be interesting to see if Sony does something.

Why is it important? What most important is profit. And believe me, MS isn't making any with these crazy bundled prices. These NPD are more important for GAF then for Sony lol

Curious: does this mean the XB1 has overtaken the PS4 in America?

Great month for MS. With the deal they were offering, I would have been amazed if they didn't manage to outsell the PS4. Good job, MS! This is what it looks like when you finally have a great value proposition for consumers.
Nah, Sony built a modest but sizable lead over the year. MS needs to outsell them by more in Dec to make up the rest of it.

I imagine Sony will stick to that $399 price until an official drop in announced during E3 for holiday 2015.

It was mentioned earlier, but PS and Insurance are holding Sony up right now.

They likely cannot afford to be reactionary and drop the price ASAP.

The thing is, they can already afford a 1-game 399 (non-limited) bundle with new 3rd-party titles. And in UK, basically bundling Driveclub for free.

So, in terms of margins, realistically speaking, if it's just a matter of bundling games that they don't need to make anymore profit on (TLoU, Killzone, whatever), they should be able to push the $349 price point.

However, chances are a price-drop from Sony would be a global move, rather than just a US-only move.

allan-bh

think about what? microsoft is still selling its bundle and sony is now selling the ps4 with only one game for 399. sony does not really have much momentum at the moment.

December is on lock for Xbox One. Can't see PS4 winning after this big defeat.

C4Lukins

What I am most curious about is the numbers for Assassin's Creed: Unity.

That position on the chart seems awfully low for the series and I really wonder if the brand has been seriously damaged.

Assuming the Xbox One sold 1.2 million units, and seeing as the Sunset Overdrive bundle dried up early in the month and the COD bundle was not far behind... My guess would be 800kish new XOne owners recieved Unity with their new console. So there is no way to translate that into actual retail sales lost, but I bet it is signifigant. That being said, inconsistancy, coupled with fatigue, coupled with mediocre reviews surely played a part in reduced sales.

orochi91

HOOOOLY SHIT. lol MS wins a month and some people genuinely believe thats it for PS4. lol. I mean please tell me this is satire right? PS4 wins 10 months straight and MS wins a single month in the US only and you're saying PS4 has no hope? fucking LOL.

Expectations are being actively tempered.

I personally imagined PS4 would be a runaway hit, like the Wii or PS2.

Didn't really expect MS to go all out like they have recently.

This discussion is only even possible because of how MS can absorb losses.

All that wealth is seriously paying off.

I just don't understand the thought that MS will continue this momentum for another month.

I wonder if it already was sputtering out by Black Friday, and that's why MS was quiet about this win.

Because they really shouldn't be, at least in PR.

You can't sit and wait for the price cut to happen till the time when they really need it

If it were up to me the price cuts would have started in September as Sony with a game sold would be able to afford it.

They need to invest in the longevity of the system not the current state of the system. Microsoft cut the price naturally after losing kinect but they didn't hold back they cut it even more and that's how they won, create a perception of a lower cost and it was a lower cost regardless of what you think of the system and the power and games, they invested in losing money for the survival of the system

Sony could easily drop it to 349 and still make a profit considering how many games they sell per console. By keeping the pace of the sales at a higher clip they can assure more systems are in the consumer hands and more games are sold while still making a profit at the end of the day

Holding back is just being defensive, it's a defensive approach and it will only make them competitive not win outright

Ok, but let's say they don't do that and for the first 6 months of 2015 they outsell X1 every month then announce their price cut as planned? Wouldn't that be the smarter strategy. Especially at this point where announcing a price drop would only piss off everyone that bought it during the holidays at a more expensive price point.

It is not so easy to just come out and cut the price at this time of the year. Ads are many times worked out months in advance for as well.

vin-buc

You can't sit and wait for the price cut to happen till the time when they really need it

If it were up to me the price cuts would have started in September as Sony with a game sold would be able to afford it.

They need to invest in the longevity of the system not the current state of the system. Microsoft cut the price naturally after losing kinect but they didn't hold back they cut it even more and that's how they won, create a perception of a lower cost and it was a lower cost regardless of what you think of the system and the power and games, they invested in losing money for the survival of the system

Sony could easily drop it to 349 and still make a profit considering how many games they sell per console. By keeping the pace of the sales at a higher clip they can assure more systems are in the consumer hands and more games are sold while still making a profit at the end of the day

Holding back is just being defensive, it's a defensive approach and it will only make them competitive not win outright

IMO this is an unhealthy strategy. Unlike mobile devices - consoles come out every 5-7 years. This type of tactic sets a precedent/expectation that prices will hit sale prices within 6-12 months post launch effectively corroding adoption numbers. For a business that coasts near a decade long - there should be a consistency in how pricing is laid out. Of course you need a solid product to begin with.

look at it this way

IN 2014 xbox was going at 55 and ps4 was going at 70, then xbox increased it's speed to 70 and ps4 remained at 70; if people start buying more xbox ones at this price while Sony just waits and is happy with profit per system then Xbox one will eventually will catch up even if Sony is making a higher profit per console. So what matters more, more consoles in consumers hands or profit per consolr

Wow. This thread is nuts. The only other thread that was as crazy as this one that I have witnessed was the NTkrnl thread and rightfully so with all the bombs being dropped along with Cboat intrigue.

I had no idea so many people have freak outs about sales.

We're looking at a total of two million consoles sold in one month? Or close to it? And that's between two consoles only.

In the midst of all the squabbling in this thread the one thing you can't deny is how healthy the console market is right now.

kinggroin

Banned
Why is it important? What most important is profit. And believe me, MS isn't making any with these crazy bundled prices. These NPD are more important for GAF then for Sony lol

Winning the US is VERY important. Especially winning sales for multiplatfirm software.

Do you guys want even more of an excuse for devs to not take advantage of the PS4 hardware over the bone?

RoKKeR

Wow. This thread is nuts. The only other thread that was as crazy as this one that I have witnessed was the NTkrnl thread and rightfully so with all the bombs being dropped along with Cboat intrigue.

I had no idea so many people have freak outs about sales.
Oh man.

I don't know if anything will top the ntkrnl thread.

I wonder if he will return this year.

Doukou

We're looking at a total of two million consoles sold in one month? Or close to it? And that's between two consoles only.

In the midst of all the squabbling in this thread the one thing you can't deny is how healthy the console market is right now.

Yep, quite surprised at the amount of consoles sold in one month.

Top Bottom