• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

What I am most curious about is the numbers for Assassin's Creed: Unity.

That position on the chart seems awfully low for the series and I really wonder if the brand has been seriously damaged.

It's at over 1.4 million with the bundle sales included. In the UK, the first week sales + Rogue were pretty much equal with previous year sales for Black Flag. It's doing fine. If anything, it helped shift a big chunk of the AC fanbase to next gen.

Chris1

I just don't understand the thought that MS will continue this momentum for another month.

I wonder if it already was sputtering out by Black Friday, and that's why MS was quiet about this win.

Because they really shouldn't be, at least in PR.

Xbox is smashing PS4 on the amazon best sellers for December, and amazon hasn't been wrong yet for hardware sales I don't think.

Xbox is in 1st place, PS4 in 40th http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-12/videogames#1

Rurunaki

Expectations are being actively tempered.

I personally imagined PS4 would be a runaway hit, like the Wii or PS2.

Didn't really expect MS to go all out like they have recently.

This discussion is only even possible because of how MS can absorb losses.

All that wealth is seriously paying off.

Question is how long cab they maintain those loses without their shareholders taking notice.

Fire sale pricing and free software will do that...let's see how thins go after the holiday dust settles.

I have a pretty good feeling Sony will still maintain he overall lead.

The people demanded a fire sale to buy an under powered more expensive Xbox One. So then they listen to consumers and lower the price... and then do something that I haven't seen anyone but this new gen of gamers complain/make fun of... and that's adding free games to the console.

Back in my day we used to get games packed in with our consoles. I'm glad to see that coming back. Fire sale or not... they're giving people what they want. And that should be commended.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think people need to take a step back and think.

I don't think so. Amazon has been accurate in terms of rank so far and it's looking like the Xbox One will take December. While I don't think it will be by as big of a gap as November, it's definitely looking like a more clear win since we don't have to wonder about a ton of bundles like we did for the month of November.

kribz

look at it this way

IN 2014 xbox was going at 55 and ps4 was going at 70, then xbox increased it's speed to 70 and ps4 remained at 70; if people start buying more xbox ones at this price while Sony just waits and is happy with profit per system then Xbox one will eventually will catch up even if Sony is making a higher profit per console. So what matters more, more consoles in consumers hands or profit per consolr

To an extent both....but more consoles means more software sales

Game4life

Banned
It's also just as silly to see people claim that MS can never catch Sony worldwide when less than 10% of this gens consoles have been sold.

It is silly to say there is a strong chance. There will not be a single year this gen where Xbox one ever outsells PS4 globally. What is remotely giving you people confidence after seeing the last gen and especially this one. MS will not penetrate Europe and rest of the world as long as PS4 is in the market. It is a lost game. Their only chance to come at a respectable second is if they perform like this consistently in the US and UK and outsell the PS4 in these areas over its lifetime.

Are you trying to say sales will get worse worldwide?

Sales may get better worldwide but not enough to ever outsell PS4 worldwide numbers.

crinale

MS trying to gain some ground on console market is good thing, not only for MS but for Sony and Ninty too IMHO (and of course, for gamers as well).
We sure don't want to see MS investors see Xbox portfolio and say hey ditch that division for not making profit.

chadskin

If Sony hands over U.S that easy to MS that isn't a good look. WW is locked for Sony but U.S is very important so it will be interesting to see if Sony does something.

Let's not forget the 360 sold 20mil more consoles in the US than the PS3. That the PS4 is ahead of the XBO now, even if it's relatively close, is already a massive improvement for them.

sflufan

Banned
Assuming the Xbox One sold 1.2 million units, and seeing as the Sunset Overdrive bundle dried up early in the month and the COD bundle was not far behind... My guess would be 800kish new XOne owners recieved Unity with their new console. So there is no way to translate that into actual retail sales lost, but I bet it is signifigant. That being said, inconsistancy, coupled with fatigue, coupled with mediocre reviews surely played a part in reduced sales.

If you were in the market for an XB1, then a bundle that contained both Unity and Black Flag was just too damned good to pass up, even if your intent was merely to sell the codes for both of those games.

In other words, I simply don't buy the claim that Unity was a "next-gen system seller" at all. I maintain that those XB1 bundles flew off the shells DESPITE being bundled Unity, not BECAUSE of it.

Duxxy3

Geez. Things are more dire for the Wii U than I thought. Nintendo really needs to drop the price.

So they have one of the most profitable quarters in years... and suddenly it's time to cut the price? Why? It's not competing with any system. Nintendo is just playing out this generation as safely as possible.

sense

Winning the US is VERY important. Especially winning sales for multiplatfirm software.

Do you guys want even more of an excuse for devs to not take advantage of the PS4 hardware over the bone?

losing one third of the lead for a good profit is a better trade off especially for Sony right now.

vpance

Morpheus isn't going to be big for the everyday gamer. Sorry. Don't see it. 200$ + for an accessory is crazy.

$449 + No Man Sky pack in Black Friday bundle could do pretty good I think. VR has that ability to capture mainstream attention. If it does, price becomes much, much less of a factor. See Wii and its massive markups.

Are you trying to say sales will get worse worldwide?

He means you are wrong which is true. Even MS at its best with 360 couldnt compete with Sony WW. Japan is out of the question, uk is the only place MS does well and currently they are behind there. The rest of the places are still as bad as last gen for MS. Add the current lead Sony has WW and you can see the gen is over in terms of places.

magnumpy

what the shit? even disregarding the idea that Sony needs a 'hope' to maintain sales dominance or level things back out here, if you think Morpheus represents such a hope then you're just plain not thinking straight. Morpheus is cool but it's not the type of thing to sell a console all by its lonesome I don't think

definitely, Morpheus requires that you already have a PS4. it may make the platform more appealing, but VR is not a make or break feature. Morpheus will sell to people who already own a PS4, but getting a PS4 in the first place is incumbent on price, games available, and not whether or not it supports a VR headset.

Rurunaki

I don't think so. Amazon has been accurate in terms of rank so far and it's looking like the Xbox One will take December. While I don't think it will be by as big of a gap as November, it's definitely looking like a more clear win since we don't have to wonder about a ton of bundles like we did for the month of November.

So what happens if Sony takes December?

De_Legend

Banned
It is silly to say there is a strong chance. There will not be a single year this gen where Xbox one ever outsells PS4 globally. What is remotely giving you people confidence after seeing the last gen and especially this one. MS will not penetrate Europe and rest of the world as long as PS4 is in the market. It is a lost game. Their only chance to come at a respectable second is if they perform like this consistently in the US and UK and outsell the PS4 in these areas over its lifetime.

I agree.

WW, there is no chance in hell.

This thread has been absolute gold catching up. Sucks about the CBOAT sinking; the loss of a "holy writ" level leak should never be celebrated, especially not now with how precious real numbers are.

jedimike

PS4 never even dropped its price and is closing in on 15 mill WW. I think its safe to say that WW is definitely a wash.

With potentially another 200M consoles to be sold and another 6-7 years to sell them, nothing is certain... especially with a new, rather unpredictable market this gen (China).

They're turning a profit right now. And they know Wii U is beyond "saving". Therefore they're not gonna kill their margins with a price cut at this point. Wouldn't make sense.

So they have one of the most profitable quarters in years... and suddenly it's time to cut the price? Why? It's not competing with any system. Nintendo is just playing out this generation as safely as possible.

I hear you guys, but 240k and getting outsold by a 10 year old console (360) during Smash month is not good at all. I'm sure there would be a bigger audience for the Wii U with more competitive pricing(myself included), but I can understand why they choose not to do so with the way things stand.

The Xbone won December last year and this year it took November and it might be taking December as well.

I wonder of this will become a trend. PS4 outselling the XB1 throughout the year and the XB1 taking the big months.

Faustek

Good for Microsoft, strong competition is always good.

They still have a long road to walk thought

I still don't get this. MS and Sony aren't in competition. The competition is Apple. At least state side. As I think Sony on the software side has the bigger edge to draw in the casual market(them smaller games) MS has(atm) the price advantage. The problems for Sony is price, the problem for MS is if the initial reaction is still there amongst them.

Please educate me on how a sold out system can even have a sliver of a chance to be on top of Amazon. Please?

yoplay

HAHA! OMG! I left this thread on 7-10k. I had future projections in place and now this. Definitely stirs the US pot. This definitely makes a lot more sense though.

If you were in the market for an XB1, then a bundle that contained both Unity and Black Flag was just too damned good to pass up, even if your intent was merely to sell the codes for both of those games.

In other words, I simply don't buy the claim that Unity was a "next-gen system seller" at all. I maintain that those XB1 bundles flew off the shells DESPITE being bundled Unity, not BECAUSE of it.

You're starting with a conclusion, and then bending the data to fit that the conclusion.

The most reasonable assumption is the the AC bundle had the most demand because most prospective Xbox buyers wanted AC, even more than CoD.

Top Bottom