• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
November is going to be insane.

I hope Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect sells well.

Any numbers for Air Combat 6?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Oblivion said:
That's what I said in the other thread! No one believed me! NOW WHO'S LAUGHING
jack-tretton-kaz-hirai.jpg

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I don't suppose we can get Zack and Wiki numbers? I was really hoping that an original, high rated, third party property would succeed on Wii.

Galaxy had better do double in NA what it did in Japan!

Liquid

Banned
wow. i knew R&C would flop. Its not a matter of it not being a good game but the ps2 demographic just not being on the ps3. Its on average a $500 machine and R&C was selling to a $150 audience. Games not selling just prove more and more that people are picking it up as a BR player more than anything else. I cant believe someone said 360s numbers werent good. it sold 3x more than ps3. :lol wtf.

Tideas said:
74k is not bad for 2 weeks of Ratchet. We will see if it has legs.
Actually, 74k for the first 2 weeks is horrible for one of Sony's big guns this fall. Sales for software is usually pretty frontloaded.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Maybe this is what SonyCowboy was referring to when he said the 40g got off to a bad start. Or maybe there's more.

I refuse to believe those numbers, I respect GhaleonEB but the $299 PS3 selling only 80k in its first two weeks?

GhaleonEB said:
Where did he say that? From the numbers Sony put out - and now clarified - it does sound like a pretty weak launch. I really thought it would at least double sales, as the first price cut did.

I think maybe in one of the threads about those commercials? Anyway, I think people had a lot invested in brand loyalty but realistically, a $400 console by either MS or Sony ends up selling pretty much the same. Regardless of what it used to be priced at. It's speculated it did 46k did someone say?

46K A WEEK I MEAN HOLD YOUR FIRE.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
This confirms it, we need a white PS3 released in the USA.

That will prove to be a massive seller (and I wont get fingerprints all over it).

laserbeam

Banned
Sony PR must really watch Gaf to start using the Playstation family to hype PS3 sales

Opus Angelorum said:
I refuse to believe those numbers, I respect GhaleonEB but the $299 PS3 selling only 80k in its first two weeks?

PS3 is $399 and $499 not 299

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
justjohn said:
erm how is that actually possible. surely if they include all consoles including ps2 and psp, it will be way more than 100,000
PSP isn't a console.

Mrbob

Breaking down the numbers the X360 hold month over month is pretty good.

Now X360 can get a nice Nov/Dec boost, keep things rolling ok in Jan/March timeframe and then drop the price to $299.99 (Pro) so it can get a second wind of explosion with GTA4.

No one wanted another PGR, this is why it bombed.

As for Ratchet and Clank, I want the game but haven't picked it up yet. Part of it is the holiday explosion, but the other part is that I don't want to pay 60 dollars for a game I paid 40 dollars for last gen. Seems like the game is typical Ratchet and Clank goodness, but I don't feel like paying a 30% increase for it. I'll grab the game when its under 40 dollars.

Unless the $399.99 pricepoint or a blu ray takes the HD crown soon, I think the PS3 is fucked. Can't keep waiting forever Sony to take off. People will move on to other platforms. In fact, they already have.

spwolf said:
unlike some others, I am not sore loser.... disaster is disaster.
You have nothing to be sore about. This is Sony's mistake.

You're just a fan that wants the generally Sony exclusive franchises. Same reason why I stuck with the GCN and Dreamcast last gen. They had what I wanted. Regardless of positions in the market.

Scum

schuelma said:
Uhh..I think Sony just admitted that their numbers from last night includes PS2:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=amjWQwK2k3Bs

"The price cut and new model helped Sony increase sales of all consoles including the older PlayStation 2 to 100,000 units in the week ended Nov. 11, spokeswoman Kimberly Otzman said in an e-mail.
"
Pffft! I bet that early PR was released because they taught NeoGAF wouldn't get their hands on NPD Results anymore. :lol :lol

Awesome numbers for The orange Box. Valve must be grinning like hell. I wish we could add PC (retail and Steam) sales to that to see what it did over all.

Also great numbers for GH3 Wii and Phantom Hourglass. Mario Galaxy is gonna sell a shit tonne this month looking at that!

yoopoo said:
1st, 2nd AND 3rd party bombs on PS3. Oh Sony.
Fixed. Insomniac are 2nd Party by all accounts (they are not owned by Sony) :)

spwolf

schuelma said:
It's absolutely horrid. So horrid I'm wondering if Sony just effed up their statement..because that would be a truly horrid number.

thats just kind of dumb - that was only few hrs ago. Nobody does bullshit statistic PR if numbers come out within next few hrs.

Someone screwed up somewhere.

If we take that 75k last week and x4, thats 300k - few k less than PS3+PS2 did in October. So sales went down with release of 40 GB and 80 GB price drop? Just doesnt compute.

Wii: insane, after GC i thought Nintendo would easily be 3rd this gen, they were going along without a clue, WOWZER i was the one without a clue.

360: Nice to see big sells for the console, it moves software in an awesome manner.

PS3: Is bombing harder than i could have ever imagined after Sony being market leader 2 gens in a row by such a large margin, software on this thing is doing terrible. :(

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Another interesting note- despite a very good GH3 launch, PS2 sales were pretty weak. Possibly finally losing steam and customers to 360 and Wii?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Mrbob said:
As for Ratchet and Clank, I want the game but haven't picked it up yet. Part of it is the holiday explosion, but the other part is that I don't want to pay 60 dollars for a game I paid 40 dollars for last gen. Seems like the game is typical Ratchet and Clank goodness, but I don't feel like paying a 30% increase for it. .

It's worth every penny of the $59.99 I paid. And probably more. :D

Loudninja

spwolf said:
thats just kind of dumb - that was only few hrs ago. Nobody does bullshit statistic PR if numbers come out within next few hrs.

Someone screwed up somewhere.

If we take that 75k last week and x4, thats 300k - few k less than PS3+PS2 did in October. So sales went down with release of 40 GB and 80 GB price drop? Just doesnt compute.

Yeah something is not right

Guy Legend

GhaleonEB said:
Where did he say that? From the numbers Sony put out - and now clarified - it does sound like a pretty weak launch. I really thought it would at least double sales, as the first price cut did.

In another thread, he said the 40gb landed with a "thud".

Leonsito

GhaleonEB said:
Let's assume for a minute that PS2 sales were flat to October those two weeks, at 46,000 units (184k / 4).

That means of the 175k Sony Playstations sold in the two weeks after the $400 SKU came out, 92k were PS2 units - only 83k were PS3, in the two weeks after it came out. That's a TERRIBLE start to the $400 model. 0_0

If they mean 100k for their three consoles, I don't know what to say, but the PS3 must be about 20k, Taking 30k for PS2 and 50k for PSP that first week.

That PR must be wrong, the sales should had decreased instead of increased with those numbers.

Speevy said:
360 very, very good? An October following the release of Halo 3? That's plummeting.

Of course, it did very, very good compared to the awful-selling PS3.

Just for reference - October 2004, the same month GTA:SA was released (arguably the biggest game of last generation), the PS2 sold 289,000. The 360 is doing good. I think people are losing focus of that because of the insane popularity of the Wii.

Tideas

Banned
Maxwell House said:
Actually, 74k for the first 2 weeks is horrible for one of Sony's big guns this fall. Sales for software is usually pretty frontloaded.

Wow, like I've been saying, all of you guys have such high expectation for Ratchet when you gotta look at the demographic it's appealing to. No matter how you try to botch it, Ratchet has always appealed to little kids.

To further prove my point, this is the NPD of November 2003, when R & C Going Commando was released.

Top-selling console games for November, 2003:

Rank / Title / Console / Publisher
1 / Mario Kart: Double Dash!! / GC / Nintendo
2 / Medal of Honor Rising Sun / PS2 / EA
3 / Final Fantasy X-2 / PS2 / Square Enix
4 / Grand Theft Auto Double Pack / Xbox / Rockstar
5 / SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals / PS2 / SCEA
6 / Need for Speed Underground / PS2 / EA
7 / Tony Hawk’s Underground / PS2 / Activision
8 / True Crime: Streets of LA / PS2 / Activision
9 / Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. / GBA / Nintendo
10 / Madden NFL 2004 / PS2 / EA

JaY P.

Is it just me or are Wii software sales low compared to their hardware numbers? I wonder if this is due to the fact that most Wiis sold at the moment are being held as Christmas presents. Heck, the store I work at I would say that half are buying 2 or 3 Wiis at a time as Christmas presents. I have a feeling that once the giftees get their Wiis, software sales are going to get a huge boost. But I don't know if they'll reach 360 attach rate levels.

Anyone else working in retail care to comment on this thought?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Kamakazie! said:
Awesome numbers for The orange Box. Valve must be grinning like hell.

Ya think? Maybe I was just being optimistic but I thought it would do a lot better than Bioshock.

Holy shit at the Sony spinning. :O

So.fucking.lame.
I don't even know why they do that. It just causes an even bigger backlash than when they'd just say the actual sales numbers.

About PGR4, according to pgrnations.com, the number of players that have taken part in online races is:

UK: 63,361
US: 43,397
Germany: 11,452
France: 11,028
Japan: 10,094

This means that PGR4 probably has sold 3 times as much in Europe as it did in the US.

It doesn't seem like PS3 sold Guitar Hero 3 that much worse than its competitors; it's just that they've sold so much less hardware that a similar tie ratio doesn't do much. We're basically in a hardware situation where it's X360 7.0 million, Wii 5.1 million, PS3 2.0 million.

Which actually, makes me notice that this month the X360 is no longer a majority of the current-gen console userbase in the US; just a plurality.

Top Bottom