• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Sony is unbelievably screwed and Ratchet and Clank is proof of that.

How many millions of dollars did it cost Sony to develop the game, only to have it sell less than 100k in Japan and America since its release. Absolutely pathetic.

If I was a third party I would be running as far away as possible from the PS3.

tanod

when is my burrito
Gary Whitta said:
Has PS3 ever had a title in the Top 10?

Heavenly Sword, MotorStorm, Madden NFL, NCAA Football for sure. Resistance might have charted too but I'm not sure. Checking...

Kobun Heat said:
Sony's official statement:

More: http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/11/sony-reacts-to.html

Nintendo says no statement this month. Microsoft's is incoming.
8bp4860.gif

That can't be...ps3 came in last in the NPD numbers!!!!
8fy81o7.jpg

hold me

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Speevy said:
I wasn't being sarcastic. I don't know what possible incentive Sony has to keep the PS3 around when its software is selling so poorly.

And believe me, I love the PS3. Awesome system IMO.

The road is long and hard and there's a lot that could happen between now and the finish line.

Says a prayer for PS3 and Uncharted sales

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Speevy said:
I wasn't being sarcastic. I don't know what possible incentive Sony has to keep the PS3 around when its software is selling so poorly.

They have one huge incentive

samsung-bluray-thumb.jpg

The format wars

To add to this, the PS3 software lineup continues to strengthen as we head into the holiday season with must-have titles like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, Assassin's Creed, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, Warhawk, and Heavenly Sword on store shelves. Also, upcoming third party exclusives hitting just in time for the holidays, such as Unreal Tournament III and Haze, will only add to our success this season.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I have to say I am really, really disappointed with the PGR sales. I love the series. Heck, this is a million-selling series. Every single game in the series has done well over a million, and here we are, trying to scrape to together sales of 150k worldwide.

What makes it even worse is that this is Bizarre's last effort, and it is also the best game in the series. The community agrees; this is the best PGR since PGR2, and no-one bought it.

What on Earth was Microsoft thinking releasing it now? I'm guessing they had no choice seeing that the Activision acquisition was around the corner. At least it's been confirmed we've got DLC going in to 2008.

Thank you Bizarre Creations for a great racing series; even if everyone forgot you on your final attempt. :(

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I really hope that R&C has Resistance and Motorstorm type of legs. It deserves it.

Bishman

Meier said:
My brother's an investment banker.. his girlfriend is in corporate sales. They've never had a video game system on their own. He's got 2 50"+ HDTVs.. both outfitted with Wii's. He'd never even consider getting anything else -- they're not really his thing. Trust me, it isn't just grannies buying them.
Did he get Super Mario Galaxy?

GhaleonEB

LukeSmith said:
There shouldn't have ever been a doubt of what those numbers meant. GAF should know better.
I stopped following that thread after the first couple pages, but I took the statement at face value. My mistake!

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
spwolf said:
GH3 sales are fine. Problem was with RC - sure it is true that RC never started well for PS2 just because of the nature of the game, but in mid Oct, it was big guns for PS3 that got rated really really well, so it should have sold more than its old PS2 parts that were part of strong lineup of PS2 games.

We will see what happens with RC during holidays, it should be perfect gift for kiddies unless Sony packs up :lol .

I actually think the pefect gift for the kiddies in America will be a wii, and mario.

duk

Banned
Speevy said:

Sony needs to keep it going for BD.

rage1973

I hope Microsoft finally lets PGR series die and builds upon Forza. Those games are too close in genre and the money could be better invested in different type of games.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
XiaNaphryz said:
It's hard finding a 60 gig PS3 now, at least going by store websites.

In my personal experience, 60 gig PS3's are still easy to find. I saw a huge stack in Best Buy the other day.

Personally I hope it stays that way since I prefer the entry level PS3 sell, because it shows that Sony is reaching a new market beyond the core gamers that desire the 60 and 80 gig model.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm like really pissed here... I don't even own a fuckin PS3! Jesus! WTF! Buy software people! WTF are you PS3 console owners smoking? YOU DON'T BUY RATCHET & MOTHERFUCKIN CLANK?

It was fun to beat on Sony here and there but now it's sad... this is getting into harming the industry territory.

I hope things turn around.

neptunes

cjelly said:
I have to say I am really, really disappointed with the PGR sales. I love the series. Heck, this is a million-selling series. Every single game in the series has done well over a million, and here we are, trying to scrape to together sales of 150k worldwide.

What makes it even worse is that this is Bizarre's last effort, and it is also the best game in the series. The community agrees; this is the best PGR since PGR2, and no-one bought it.

What on Earth was Microsoft thinking releasing it now? I'm guessing they had no choice seeing that the Activision acquisition was around the corner. At least it's been confirmed we've got DLC going in to 2008.

Thank you Bizarre Creations for a great racing series; even if everyone forgot you on your final attempt. :(
I'm sure it'll have legs

that's ms is willing to spend $$$ to market the game again

Parl

I guess Sony paid NPD to not include GBA this month, but fortunately for Sony they only have to pay 5 cents for every PS3 unit sold.

Eteric Rice

RSTEIN said:
I'm like really pissed here... I don't even own a fuckin PS3! Jesus! WTF! Buy software people! WTF are you PS3 console owners smoking? YOU DON'T BUY RATCHET & MOTHERFUCKIN CLANK?

It was fun to beat on Sony here and there but now it's sad... this is getting into harming the industry territory.

Industry is a changin'.

Again...

legend166

Dear Activision,

As you can see, there is obviously a market on the Wii for Guitar Hero. Likely, this market has never owned the first two. Please port 1 and 2 in a combined packaged to the Wii.

Love,
legend166

Also, Sony is screwed. The software is performing horribly.

Kastrioti said:
Sony is unbelievably screwed and Ratchet and Clank is proof of that.

How many millions of dollars did it cost Sony to develop the game, only to have it sell less than 100k in Japan and America since its release. Absolutely pathetic.

If I was a third party I would be running as far away as possible from the PS3.

There isn't much money to be made on the system it seems. This is worse than the Gamecube for software sales. Heck, at least first party games sold well on the cube. Seems like no one is making money on the PS3. I expect alot of PS3 titles to migrate into multiplatform status.

Kasumi1970 said:
I actually think the pefect gift for the kiddies in America will be a wii, and mario.
That is an unbeatable combo, IMO. Much like a 360 with Halo 3. That for me is a big part of why Sony will feel the hurt this holiday even at the friendlier pricepoint... they just don't have a must-have system/game combo the way MS and Nintendo do.

Wii... has there ever been a system that's been difficult to find in its SECOND holiday season? That's just amazing to me.

GhaleonEB

cjelly said:

I really think the proximity to Forza II and the fact that Forza II was bundled in with the 360 for a good chunk of the period just killed this game. It's not coming back, the bundle will make sure of it. Few people are going to buy a second racing game so soon.

m14

I think the PS3's sales are still healthy. The games coming out soon are unbelievable and will no doubt help turn the tide.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Does anyone know the Metroid Franchise Sales numbers? I know that Metroid Prime sold over a million, I think that was the only Metroid game to do that right?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
2 things:

1. Told ya Metroid 3 was big dissapointment, bomb
2. GO FINAL FANTAST TACTICS!!

RSTEIN said:

QFT. I don't want to sound hyperbolic but I wouldn't want a gaming industry without Playstations.

Just buy some damn software already people! R&C, PGR4, MP3, ...

ccbfan

Man I can't wait for MS's PR.

Its been great the last few months. Absolutely brutal.

Anyone remember last months smack down on Sony.

tanod

when is my burrito
tanod said:
Heavenly Sword, MotorStorm, Madden NFL, NCAA Football for sure. Resistance might have charted too but I'm not sure. Checking...

Resistance didn't chart in November 2006. Best selling PS3 title to date with over 2 million units sold WW though.

Sony's official statement said:
Overall the PlayStation brand showed a 39% increase in total retail dollars generated year-over-year in the US
They really like to turn that price disadvantage into a positive. This strategy won't work so well next year, though.

Frillen

To add to this, the PS3 software lineup continues to strengthen as we head into the holiday season with must-have titles like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, Assassin's Creed, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, Warhawk, and Heavenly Sword on store shelves. Also, upcoming third party exclusives hitting just in time for the holidays, such as Unreal Tournament III and Haze, will only add to our success this season.

Ratchet bombed. Warhawk bombed. Heavenly Sowrd bombed.

Assassin's Creed, GHIII, CoD4 is also out for the 360.

That leaves us three titles. Haze and UTIII has bomb written all over them.

So we're left with Uncharted. Interesting.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
tanod said:
Resistance didn't chart in November 2006. Best selling PS3 title to date with over 2 million units sold WW though.

reilo said:
I really hope that R&C has Resistance and Motorstorm type of legs. It deserves it.

spwolf

John Harker said:
2 things:

when did Metroid 3 start selling btw? this is 2nd month?

Btw, almost nobody mentioned PSP sales - and some software sales too!

justjohn

John Harker said:
2 things:

dude sony would kill to have one of their big games sell like metroid did. 400000 plus is not a bomb

Top Bottom