• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

rage1973 said:
I hope Microsoft finally lets PGR series die and builds upon Forza. Those games are too close in genre and the money could be better invested in different type of games.

Forza has become the sole residence of gamers who want to spend hours and hours on tuning their cars for the handful of boring tracks that Forza offers. What I need is a (semi-)realistic racing game where you can just get into a beautiful fast car and race. PGR is the only series that offers this.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Kastrioti said:
Sony is unbelievably screwed and Ratchet and Clank is proof of that.

How many millions of dollars did it cost Sony to develop the game, only to have it sell less than 100k in Japan and America since its release. Absolutely pathetic.

If I was a third party I would be running as far away as possible from the PS3.

You have data for 8-9 days of sales in the US (7 of those a "soft" launch before the marketing for the Oct 30 launch kicked in), and a single-day - Sunday at that - of sales in Japan.

We have since seen a new lower-priced hardware sku release in the US.

Overreact much?

Guy Legend

Gary Whitta said:

I fully expect Call of Duty 4 sales to be relatively very high on the PS3, but we will find out later. In fact, I bet this third party title eventually becomes one of the all time best selling PS3 games to date.

Big time third party games done right should do well right now. As the exclusives drive more hardware next year, the PS3 should be an attractive proposition for third parties, more than viable at the very least.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Damn, those Wii numbers are insane. Nintendo are pretty much single-handedly responsible for the year-on-year growth. PS3 got fucked....again.

I remember last year a lot of people predicting that Wii would sell best in Japan but it's doing something crazy over in the US. Can't get hold of one in the UK either.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
RSTEIN said:
It was fun to beat on Sony here and there but now it's sad... this is getting into harming the industry territory.

I hope things turn around.

I too fear our new Nintendo overlords. They bring change. Disruptive, seismic change.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Loudninja said:
And you wonder why people ignore your posts...

It's really hard to tell the difference between joke posters from the insane ones these days...

spwolf

jstevenson said:
You have data for 8-9 days of sales in the US (7 of those a "soft" launch before the marketing for the Oct 30 launch kicked in), and a single-day - Sunday at that - of sales in Japan.

Overreact much?

we love you guys (cuddles up to jstevenson)

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
jstevenson said:

Overreact much?

Be honest JS, was that what you expected? The game's a friggin' masterpiece. For it to not crack 100k in that timeframe is just plain depressing. IMO.

Timedog said:
Regardless of console sales, I still think it is, and will be smarter as a 3rd party to make games for 360 than Wii, if you're not doing multiplatform. PS3 lol, maybe the pricedrop will help.
For big ones, yeah. For medium to smaller ones? PGR, Stranglehold and other $20M+++ bombas will hurt more than a $3M+ bomba.

Kastrioti said:
Sony is unbelievably screwed and Ratchet and Clank is proof of that.

How many millions of dollars did it cost Sony to develop the game, only to have it sell less than 100k in Japan and America since its release. Absolutely pathetic.

If I was a third party I would be running as far away as possible from the PS3.

Just like resistance was sent to die right? :lol

What is it now, 2 Million?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Gary Whitta said:
That is an unbeatable combo, IMO. Much like a 360 with Halo 3. That for me is a big part of why Sony will feel the hurt this holiday even at the friendlier pricepoint... they just don't have a must-have system/game combo the way MS and Nintendo do.

Wii... has there ever been a system that's been difficult to find in its SECOND holiday season? That's just amazing to me.

Yes, it is quite amazing how Nintendo was able to use the momentum to create something quite different in the USA. With the way the sales are, the console will easily become the highest selling Nintendo console in a good long time (notice I never said portable console).

Zzoram

JB1981 said:
How many days of Ratchet sales is that?

4 from the official launch date, but they officially allowed retailers to sell copies early so in some areas it was on sale for 11 days. Pretty typical, most game releases are in the last week or so of a month.

spwolf

The Innocent X said:
Uncharted is not going to do more than say 200K first month, I wish it was,but realistically its not.

is that good or bad? Its Nov tho and PS3 picked up... 300k would be AWESOME. 200k would be fine.

(doesnt take us a lot to get back on our feet, eh?) :D

Redd

I'm amazed people keep talking about resistance had 2 million sales. Resistance was a launch game. I dont get it R&C is a great game been playing it for 2 days now. If I was a PS3 only user this would be real sad news. The advertised the hell out of that game.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Is that 45,200 really what Metroid Prime sold? It's just listed on that "from GAF's prediction thread" part.

EDIT: never mind, I learned how to read.

Guy Legend said:
I fully expect Call of Duty 4 sales to be relatively very high on the PS3, but we will find out later. In fact, I bet this third party title eventually becomes one of the all time best selling PS3 games to date.

Big time third party games done right should do well right now. As the exclusives drive more hardware next year, the PS3 should be an attractive proposition for third parties, more than viable at the very least.
I fully expect third-parties to continue supporting the PS3 on multi-format releases - it's exclusive projects that are starting to look like very risky prospects for developers.

namor7

ratchet and clank is bad, but i just can't believe PGR4. what on earth happened? or didn't happen. beats me.

i hope GHIII's sales on wii make 3rd parties realize that they need to put real effort into titles for the platform. like, at least make sure there's stereo sound...

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
The Innocent X said:
Uncharted is not going to do more than say 200K first month, I wish it was,but realistically its not.

I'm actually starting to think the bright, colorful, well lit aesthetic of Uncharted (which I love) may actually hurt the game. I'm worried that the look combined with T rating will "age it down".

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, I'm confused. Which quote are we on now, the one from today, or yesterday? What's the story?

*boggle*

The Emailed one to Bloomberg is different than the thread "We're holding our breath" one.

Right??

justjohn

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, I'm confused. Which quote are we on now, the one from today, or yesterday? What's the story?

*boggle*
the quote that said the 100000 included the ps3 and ps2. but turns out its just the ps3.

kenta

Has no PEINS
jstevenson said:

Overreact much?
I really hope he's overreacting, JS, I really do. Your game deserves so much better than that

Really surprised at FFT PSP though, like really surprised

Guy Legend

titiklabingapat said:
For big ones, yeah. For medium to smaller ones? PGR, Stranglehold and other $20M+++ bombas will hurt more than a $3M+ bomba.

It only costs about 10% more in development to get a game from the XB360 to the PS3, or vice versa. Even if third parties are releasing simple ports for PS3 titles, the added sales should still be enough incentive for companies to keep releasing this games as multiplatform....especially as the installed base continues to grow.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Any ideas as to why Ratchet sold so poorly with respect to what actually was: a multimillion-dollar budget game with lots of killing and explosions (because that's what sells)?

I find that it could be because of one of the following reasons:

1. The ads were more targeted toward a younger audience, whereas the breakthough title for the franchise, Going Commando, was pitched to consumers as a game where you could blow "&%#!" up. The television advertisement contains no references to blowing %&$* up, nor does it accurately convey the humor and intense action the title offers.

OR:

2. The game was aimed to the hardcore and the hardcore have internet connections through their PS3s. Downloading and playing the demo, they realize that the game is essentially Ratchet UYA (or "3" for certain regions) with a graphical upgrade and some neat six axis controls and refuse to pay premium capital when they could be putting that toward other games.

Really, that's all I can think of because Ratchet Future is a quality PS3 title; I fail to comprehend why it wouldn't at least do Heavenly Sword sales.

rage1973

BrokenSymmetry said:
Forza has become the sole residence of gamers who want to spend hours and hours on tuning their cars for the handful of boring tracks that Forza offers. What I need is a (semi-)realistic racing game where you can just get into a beautiful fast car and race. PGR is the only series that offers this.
I am expecting next version of Forza to expand upon the series and offer much diversified racing experience like Gran Turiosmo series. Hopefully this will include having a cockpit view and the excuse that it takes too long just doesn't fly when your competition is doing it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GhaleonEB said:

*boggle*

I would put more stock into Sir Howard Stringer's quote... he does run the company and all.

spwolf

GhaleonEB said:

*boggle*

she read the same thing as we did... it said "consoles" she assumed that it included PS2 as wel, ignoring how they talked about 80 GB and 40 GB PS3 - consoles. Her mistake.

duk

Banned
I think PS3 software needs to be sold at $49.99 price point instead of $59.99. That may kickstart some consumer spending.

reilo said:
I would put more stock into Sir Howard Stringer's quote... he does run the company and all.
Indeed... but if the PS3 sold 100k last week then why does that 75k number not appear to be present in the NPD results?

Jiggy

Kobun Heat said:
Nintendo says no statement this month.
I'm going to be just a little bit sadder every month that passes without Nintendo giving another statement roleplayed as Peach. :(

GhaleonEB

justjohn said:
the quote that said the 100000 included the ps3 and ps2. but turns out its just the ps3.
Ah, very good. I've been hopping in and out of this thread and was *very* confused at all the confusion.

That's what Sony needs, good to see it happening.

jetjevons said:
I'm actually starting to think the bright, colorful, well lit aesthetic of Uncharted (which I love) may actually hurt the game. I'm worried that the look combined with T rating will "age it down".

For me it falls between two stools, shooter and adventure. Great for someone like me (if I could afford another console right now) but not commercially great. Amirox's pre-order number was a little depressing (5)

spwolf said:
she read the same thing as we did... it said "consoles" she assumed that it included PS2 as wel, ignoring how they talked about 80 GB and 40 GB PS3 - consoles. Her mistake.

Not Bloomberg's. Which is pretty bad. As I said at the outset, even if it's incorrect, it showed up in a major financial report.

Guy Legend

Gary Whitta said:
I fully expect third-parties to continue supporting the PS3 on multi-format releases - it's exclusive projects that are starting to look like very risky prospects for developers.

Indeed. That's why there's going to be a lot of pressure for the likes of Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5, KillZone 2, etc. to drive up hardware sales next year. We'll see how PS3 exclusives can truly perform next year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As best as I know, here's ALL of the legal console data GAF got since November 2006.

Code:
Gears of War				Nov-06	1,000,000	815,700	212,000	119,000	
Call of Duty 3				Nov-06	333,000		410,800			
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition		Jan-07	329,000		111,000			
Crackdown				Feb-07	427,000				
Major League Baseball 2k7		Feb-07	113,000		165,000			
NBA Street Homecourt			Feb-07	102,000				
GRAW2					Mar-07	394,000				
Guitar Hero 2				Mar-07	291,000		197,000	184,000	177,600	108,000
Def Jam Icon				Mar-07	148,000				
Spider-Man 3				Apr-07	117,000		140,000			
Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars	May-07	138,000				
Forza 2					May-07	217,000		197,400			
NCAA Football 08			Jul-07	397,000				
Madden NFL 08				Aug-07	896,600		173,000			
Bioshock				Aug-07	490,900		150,000			
Blue Dragon				Aug-07	53,600	
Halo 3					Sep-07	3,300,000	433,800
Skate					Sep-07	175,000	
Orange Box				Oct-07	238,400	
Guitar Hero 3				Oct-07	490,900	
Ace Combat 6				Oct-07	92,500

PS3
Code:
Guitar Hero III					Oct-07	105,800		
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction	Oct-07	74,500		
Resistance: Fall of Man				Nov-06	?	?	144,000
Motorstorm					Mar-07	199,000		
NCAA Football 2008				Jul-07	156,000		
Madden NFL 2008					Aug-07	336,200		
Lair						Aug-07	46,500		
Heavenly Sword					Sep-07	139,000		
Warhawk						Aug-07	58,600

Wii
Code:
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess	Nov-06	412,000	519,200	189,000	130,000					
WarioWare: Smooth Moves			Jan-07	201,000	109,000							
Wii Play				Feb-07	371,000	273,000	249,000	227,000	293,200	278,000	256,800	282,000	239,700
Super Paper Mario			Apr-07	352,000	~131,000							
Mario Party 8				May-07	314,000	426,200	177,000	138,300					
Pokemon Battle Revolution		Jun-07	157,900								
Resident Evil 4				Jun-07	~150,000								
Mario Strikers Charged			Jul-07	~100,000	147,400							
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption		Aug-07	218,100	167,000	45,200						
Guitar Hero 3				Oct-07	286,300

There's plenty more data available out there between small individual game number leaks, extrapolation by comparing known numbers to sporadic LTDs, the several Beyond3d partial leaks, etc. But this is all of the software numbers given to us by NPD.

The only case where we have have no numbers for a game month one and numbers for that game later is Resistance. I'm not sure we have any case of having numbers, then not having them, then having them again.

Bildi

BrokenSymmetry said:
Holy crap, you just read me mind.

Top Bottom