• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

Acosta

jstevenson said:
You have data for 8-9 days of sales in the US (7 of those a "soft" launch before the marketing for the Oct 30 launch kicked in), and a single-day - Sunday at that - of sales in Japan.

We have since seen a new lower-priced hardware sku release in the US.

Overreact much?

Yes, I am agree. Until next month is not going to be possible to check the results of the campaign combined with the cut priced console. Ratchet should be a very good option for people buying PS3 in November.

But feel glad, people overreact because they feel the quality of the game deserves more ;)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
justjohn said:
poor poor uncharted. i see a similar fate for it. i hate ps3 owners right now. why are these mutherfuckers not buying the games. the fuck are doing with the console? humping it every night :lol

Well maybe all the trolling/flaming posts we've seen of "People who buy PS3s don't buy games because they went broke buying the console" had some merit.

I'm in Australia, and I bought Ratchet the other day (imported from the US), so I've contributed to the November NPD :D

I'm also ordering Uncharted as soon as it becomes available, Ratchet is a fantastic game.

But the meaty end of the year is here and it's great, there's so many games to take up peoples time. I'm just glad we finally got Metroid Prime down here. I've been dying for that game.

spwolf

Psychotext said:
Indeed... but if the PS3 sold 100k last week then why does that 75k number not appear to be present in the NPD results?

because it wasnt full week? dunno really. Maybe rest of the months sales were poor in anticipation of 40 GB model.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
jstevenson said:
Overreact much?

This is what they all say... before going to the dark side. I'm looking forward to Resistance 2... ON WII!

OBEY YOUR NEW MASTERS!!!!!!!!

justjohn

GhaleonEB said:
Ah, very good. I've been hopping in and out of this thread and was *very* confused at all the confusion.

That's what Sony needs, good to see it happening.
we dont even know yet. its all very confusing right now.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Psychotext said:
Indeed... but if the PS3 sold 100k last week then why does that 75k number not appear to be present in the NPD results?
This will be the big question for a while in Sales-Age if we don't get clarification.

Guy Legend

jetjevons said:
Where'd you pull that number from?

It was stated in an article a few days ago (I can't recall which developer mentioned it). I'll have to go hunt for it later if time permits me....

Gary Whitta said:
I fully expect third-parties to continue supporting the PS3 on multi-format releases - it's exclusive projects that are starting to look like very risky prospects for developers.

That's the big difference from last gen to this. Sony managed to get tons of de facto exclusives, no moneyhat required. There was so much money in PS2 that many developers didn't feel the need to target the Gamecube or Xbox at all.

This gen, Wii is the platform getting the de facto exclusives; though third party software doesn't seem to sell great, development costs are very cheap compared to the 'high def' systems. 360 and especially PS3 really need moneyhats to keep exclusives. Given the soaring development costs for high-def titles, I'd still expect to see most third-party games getting a PS3 port even if the 360 SKUs keep outselling them 4:1. PS3 is the least likely system to get a de facto exclusive, at least for the forseeable future. Don't look for the 360 to get many more, though.

sphinx

the piano man
Dez said:
So Metroid Prime 3 seems to have run out of gas. august: 218.1k, september: 167k, october: 45.2k. Total = 430.3k. Certainly reasonable sales, but not a smash hit.

Considerin nintendo didn't spend a single fucking penny for advertisement
(hyperbole),
I am sure they got their money back in revenue and then some.

spwolf

beermonkey@tehbias said:
This gen, Wii is the platform getting the de facto exclusives; though third party software doesn't seem to sell great, development costs are very cheap compared to the 'high def' systems. 360 and especially PS3 really need moneyhats to keep exclusives. Given the soaring development costs for high-def titles, I'd still expect to see most third-party games getting a PS3 port even if the 360 SKUs keep outselling them 4:1. PS3 is the least likely system to get a de facto exclusive, at least for the forseeable future. Don't look for the 360 to get many more, though.

wii is the platform that will be getting most excluives? fantasy world?

PkunkFury said:
wow Brain Age 2 climbing the charts?? Didn't that release months ago? I've had my copy for awhile

Theyve been marketing it alot.

I hear ads on the radio all the time.... 80's radio. Aka: Mom music

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is Stringer possibly using shipped data and not sold data in his 100k numbers? It might explain the difference between the NPD numbers we're seeing.

Yeah that's right, I opened that can of worms.

Not saying this in a mean way but hopefully the PS3's low sales would kick Kojima in the nuts and get him to realize that he should bring MGS4 over to 360 as well.

Bishman said:
Casual era?

All these big budget games flopping on the PS3 is scaring the hell out of me. I hope this doesn't bode bad news for MGS4.

Especially considering the commercial was this punk rock infused destruction fest.

jjasper

beermonkey@tehbias said:
That's the big difference from last gen to this. Sony managed to get tons of de facto exclusives, no moneyhat required. There was so much money in PS2 that many developers didn't feel the need to target the Gamecube or Xbox at all.

Yeah I think that will probably be the case as well, but I wonder if the PS3 versions will continue to be poor ports because of the development studios not wanting to put a lot of money into the projects.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
spwolf said:
wii is the platform that will be getting most excluives? fantasy world?

Oh thank god, and here I thought that I was starting to agree with spwolf.

(thanks the previous person for a reality check)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
XiaNaphryz said:
Is Stringer possibly using shipped data and not sold data in his 100k numbers? It might explain the difference between the NPD numbers we're seeing.

In fact, as reported by Howard Stringer, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Sony Corporation of America, 100,000 units of the PLAYSTATION 3 were sold at retail just last week.

At retail would suggest "to customers."

MaX_PL said:
then call it 1 million then, not twice the number.

But 1 Million was reached ages ago. They're close to 2 Million, if they haven't passed it that is. (I remember reading one article saying they did).

XiaNaphryz said:

I wouldn't put it past him. He has been caught lying many times before.

GhaleonEB

XiaNaphryz said:

That can has been open a long time. There's a lot of confusion about what the numbers are (sold vs shipped vs PS3 or including PS2) and if the first week is included in the NPD numbers or not. I've utterly lost track.

LukeSmith

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Which de facto third party exclusives is the Wii getting and really burning up the sales charts with? Your logic is incredibly flawed in this regard. PS3 and 360 will both continue to get their fair share of 3rd party exclusives, third party software -- Guitar Hero phenomenon notwithstanding -- has not sold well, so I'm confused as to what you mean by "de facto." Developers are going to continue to make games for PS3 and 360 and marketing dollars will continue to move the needle of exclusivity. I'm unsure that Nintendo is going to get de facto exclusives until we see third party sales that aren't aberrations like GH3 perform well on the console.

mood

mysticstylez said:
Not saying this in a mean way but hopefully the PS3's low sales would kick Kojima in the nuts and get him to realize that he should bring MGS4 over to 360 as well.

Well more realistically poor PS3 sales will just keep pushing the MGS4 release back. Sort of a catch 22 though. They want more PS3s in homes for MGS4 and Sony needs MGS4 to potentially sell more PS3s.

gkryhewy

Loudninja said:

The 100k quote in there is just referring to the Stringer quote from yesterday, which bloomberg is quoting an email from sony as saying is incorrect. It could still be incorrect - it's rather beneficial for Sony to mislead in this way. I'm more apt to trust bloomberg, although they did mis-add GH3 sales in the same article.

We'll find out at the end of the month in any case.

spwolf

Hcoregamer00 said:
Oh thank god, and here I thought that I was starting to agree with spwolf.

(thanks the previous person for a reality check)

with 360 software selling that great and on the other hand wii 3rd party (and some 1st party) not selling all that great, it is really hard to conclude that Wii will be getting the most exclusives.

spwolf

gkrykewy said:
The 100k quote in there is just referring to the Stringer quote from yesterday, which bloomberg is quoting an email from sony as saying is incorrect. It could still be incorrect - it's rather beneficial for Sony to mislead in this way.

no it is not, it is new PR from Sony.

justjohn

gkrykewy said:
The 100k quote in there is just referring to the Stringer quote from yesterday, which bloomberg is quoting an email from sony as saying is incorrect. It could still be incorrect - it's rather beneficial for Sony to mislead in this way.

did bloomberg actualy say the ''words were incorrect'' in their words?

duk

Banned
Let's look at Sony's claimed numbers and see if we can reason this out... (estimated of course)

So first week of NPD period: 23.88k [w/e 10-13-07]
Week of price drop on the 18th: 36.62k [w/e 10-20-07]
Following week : 30.25k [w/e 10-27-07]
Week of Oct 29th: 30.25k (75k between PS2+PS3) [w/e 11-3-07]

This assumes PS2 had a steady weekly sales rate of 46k/week, which is very reasonable considering it is an older system so the sales would be much more consistent throughout a given month than newer systems (and going into Nov which is a high selling month - chances of PS2 dropping sales going into Nov are slim).

Does this mean that the PS3 price drop had little effect or PS2 sales dramatically dropped?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
so... does anyone think insomniac just MIGHT go multi-plat? I mean R+C was such a great game, definitely deserves better than that shit, it might not even out now... even after the holidays and european sales.

Eteric Rice

Bishman said:
Casual era?

All these big budget games flopping on the PS3 is scaring the hell out of me. I hope this doesn't bode bad news for MGS4.

Well, I definately don't see Sony being the dominant player anymore.

I forsee a lot of FPS games on the 360, and probably a lot of RPGs and more "niche" titles on the Wii/PS2.

PS3, I can't really say.

Kildace

spwolf said:
no it is not, it is new PR from Sony.

In fact, as reported by Howard Stringer, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Sony Corporation of America, 100,000 units of the PLAYSTATION 3 were sold at retail just last week.

It could be new PR, but it could also be based on yesterday's PR. No one knows.

mood said:
Well more realistically poor PS3 sales will just keep pushing the MGS4 release back. Sort of a catch 22 though. They want more PS3s in homes for MGS4 and Sony needs MGS4 to potentially sell more PS3s.

Yeah that would suck. It won't matter to me either way cause I'll have a PS3 by then, but Kojima is crazy not to get MGS4 on the 360 as well.

LukeSmith said:
Which de facto third party exclusives is the Wii getting and really burning up the sales charts with? Your logic is incredibly flawed in this regard. PS3 and 360 will both continue to get their fair share of 3rd party exclusives, third party software -- Guitar Hero phenomenon notwithstanding -- has not sold well, so I'm confused as to what you mean by "de facto." Developers are going to continue to make games for PS3 and 360 and marketing dollars will continue to move the needle of exclusivity. I'm unsure that Nintendo is going to get de facto exclusives until we see third party sales that aren't aberrations like GH3 perform well on the console.
Wii supporters are going to jump you. They're feeling cocky with their 500,000+ month. :lol
even though I agree with you. 3rd party sales still do suck on the system as a whole. :p

spwolf

Kildace said:

the fact that PR is reffering to yesterday tells you a lot... also read the whole article.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LukeSmith said:
Which de facto third party exclusives is the Wii getting and really burning up the sales charts with?

I'm not sure ANY third-party exclusives have done well since November 2006. The PS3 has never had a third-party exclusive in the top 10 games. I'm not sure the 360 has since then either...? Lost Planet was in the top 10 two months... but that's no longer exclusive. Command and Conquer 3 was 10th once... but that has a PC version. Bioshock made the top 10 twice; again, PC version.

So, yeah, since November 2006 there have been a total of 3 third-party exclusive games that have made the top 10 on ANY of the three next gen consoles. Two of them have PC versions. One of them is no longer exclusive.

Phantom Hourglass bombed here in comparison to Japan. Couldn't break 300,000 in a month, yet it broke that in less than a week in Japan. I'd like to see the spin on this.

gkryhewy

Kildace said:

Precisely. It's new PR which includes yesterday's quote. This isn't rocket science - that's why they're quoting Stringer in the PR. It's truthful that he said that, while what he said may not actually be true. If it were a known fact, I'm sure they'd just say in the PR that 100k PS3s were sold at retail, rather than quoting Stringer again.

It's essentially meaningless, as we'll get actual numbers in a month. Thank god NPD didn't embargo.

Top Bottom