• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

Rand al Thor 19

It's kind a funny to see the spinning over at ********. They completely overestimated the 360 by almost 200k units as well as most of the software. Does that phase them?? Nah, according to them, they are right and NPD is wrong. In fact here's a nice quote from DKII:

Btw recent data from manufacturers and retailers on sell-through indicates NPD is undertracking 360 hardware and software and DS hardware, so we're now ignoring NPD and going with reality, what's so hard to understand about that?

That's right!!! ******** has the real numbers :lol :lol :lol !!! What a joke that site has become. :D

Gaborn

msdstc said:
so... does anyone think insomniac just MIGHT go multi-plat? I mean R+C was such a great game, definitely deserves better than that shit, it might not even out now... even after the holidays and european sales.

Assuming they're not bought by Sony why wouldn't they go multiplat?

tanod

when is my burrito
So in Japan this week:
~56,000 units for PS3
PS3 outsells 360 by 9.6:1 and Wii by 1.6:1

Just thought I'd bring that info over.

msdstc said:
so... does anyone think insomniac just MIGHT go multi-plat? I mean R+C was such a great game, definitely deserves better than that shit, it might not even out now... even after the holidays and european sales.

I'm going to say they won't. Why?

One word: Subsidization.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
TSA said:
Phantom Hourglass bombed here in comparison to Japan. Couldn't break 300,000 in a month, yet it broke that in less than a week in Japan. I'd like to see the spin on this.
Hopefully the opposite will be the case with Mario Galaxy.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
XiaNaphryz said:
Is Stringer possibly using shipped data and not sold data in his 100k numbers? It might explain the difference between the NPD numbers we're seeing.

Yeah that's right, I opened that can of worms.

I would think it's shipped too, but this is one of those ultra-rare occasions where Sony themselves used the word 'sold', so it may be accurate (for once).

TSA said:
Phantom Hourglass bombed here in comparison to Japan. Couldn't break 300,000 in a month, yet it broke that in less than a week in Japan. I'd like to see the spin on this.

It was released in the September reporting period. It's sitting at ~500k LTD in the US.

Grecco said:
These Mediocre sales Didnt stop Monster Hunter from jumping ship.

I guess guitar hero is the new RE4
Would you rather have your game thrown in the depths of hell or just handicapped? yeah...

Wait, PH had sales in September?

Okay NPD - I skipped last round, so how did PH sell in September? Advance launch at Nintendo World didn't sell THAT many...

Ugh, I'm out of it for a month, and it gets all loopy...brb - checking Sep data.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TSA said:

PH is at 500k between two months. Give it a few more months, and the US will pull ahead of Japan.

spwolf

Oblivion said:
I would think it's shipped too, but this is one of those ultra-rare occasions where Sony themselves used the word 'sold', so it may be accurate (for once).

it says "sold at retail"

:)

J-Rzez

msdstc said:

Naw, it'd be the death of the quality of their games. Resistance also went over 2 million copies sold btw. I'd say Sony would try to buy them up before that would happen. The game scored high, but many people wrote it off as a kids game, probably affecting it's sales to date. The game's release date changed many of times, and didn't receive full advertising right before the end of the month. It'll pick up the sales it deserves as a word of mouth type ordeal just like Resistance.

LukeSmith

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure ANY third-party exclusives have done well since November 2006. The PS3 has never had a third-party exclusive in the top 10 games. I'm not sure the 360 has since then either...? Lost Planet was in the top 10 two months... but that's no longer exclusive. Command and Conquer 3 was 10th once... but that has a PC version. Bioshock made the top 10 twice; again, PC version.

So, yeah, since November 2006 there have been a total of 3 third-party exclusive games that have made the top 10 on ANY of the three next gen consoles. Two of them have PC versions. One of them is no longer exclusive.

That's the thing, too. Everyone, platform holders and forum posters alike need to come to terms with what the correct version of exclusive is. Are we including PC against it, because its numbers aren't ever part of the Sales-Age discussions or is it exclusives between the consoles where things like Lost Planet do count. Ultimately everything is so vague and not codified even among arguments on the Internet, that posters can just choose to spin however they see fit. It's a big part of what makes the sales-age threads so entertaining and at times so sad (which ultimately begets more entertainment).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Didn't the Stringer quote say "sold through to retail"? That means sold to retail and sitting on store shelves, not in customers hands.

Kildace

GhaleonEB said:
The article says it's the Sony PR.

Sony's full response is below

I realize that, but the 100k PS3s bit could either be actual information, or it could just be based on yesterday's press release.

rage1973

I think the big question is going to be for next month can PS3 outsell Xbox 360 with the price cut. I am thinking 450k for 360 and 350k for PS3.

September:
NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS NINTENDO OF AMERICA 3 224K

Um, somebody from NPD, explain this, please. No, seriously. 224,000 sold on Sunday, September 30th at Nintendo World at that stupid event?

Nice try. Something's not right, the final # may be right (YTD) for the game, but they're reporting it wrong. So much for NPD being superior.

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure ANY third-party exclusives have done well since November 2006. The PS3 has never had a third-party exclusive in the top 10 games. I'm not sure the 360 has since then either...? Lost Planet was in the top 10 two months... but that's no longer exclusive. Command and Conquer 3 was 10th once... but that has a PC version. Bioshock made the top 10 twice; again, PC version.

So, yeah, since November 2006 there have been a total of 3 third-party exclusive games that have made the top 10 on ANY of the three next gen consoles. Two of them have PC versions. One of them is no longer exclusive.

:lol

J-Rzez said:
Naw, it'd be the death of the quality of their games. Resistance also went over 2 million copies sold btw. I'd say Sony would try to buy them up before that would happen. The game scored high, but many people wrote it off as a kids game, probably affecting it's sales to date. The game's release date changed many of times, and didn't receive full advertising right before the end of the month. It'll pick up the sales it deserves as a word of mouth type ordeal just like Resistance.

Sure Resistance sold 2 million copies, but you gotta agree that it was mostly cause it was a launch title. Now before you rape me, I know its a great game, I want it when I get my PS3. However I would bet the farm that if it was released now, it wouldn't sell 2million units.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LukeSmith said:
That's the thing, too. Everyone, platform holders and forum posters alike need to come to terms with what the correct version of exclusive mean. Are we including PC against it, because its numbers aren't ever part of the Sales-Age discussions or is it exclusives between the consoles where things like Lost Planet do count. Ultimately everything is so vague and not codified even among arguments on the Internet, that posters can just choose to spin however they see fit. It's a big part of what makes the sales-age threads so entertaining and at times so sad (which ultimately begets more entertainment).

Okay but for any definition of the word exclusive, there are a maximum of three third party exclusives that have made it into the top ten over the last year. By the strict definition of an exclusive, there have been 0. It's not a Wii thing. It's an industry thing.

Either a) There are no big third party exclusives anymore or b) They aren't selling.

msdstc said:
Gotta be worth considering at this point. It's easy to love your wife when she's young and hot and making you happy (PS2), but after a few years when she lets herself go and just sits around all day doing nothing and draining your bank account (PS3) any man will of course be tempted to start looking elsewhere for some sweet lovin'.

RSTEIN said:
I'm like really pissed here... I don't even own a fuckin PS3! Jesus! WTF! Buy software people! WTF are you PS3 console owners smoking? YOU DON'T BUY RATCHET & MOTHERFUCKIN CLANK?

It was fun to beat on Sony here and there but now it's sad... this is getting into harming the industry territory.

I hope things turn around.
What? You act like Sony's predicament is the fault of the market.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TSA said:
Um, somebody from NPD, explain this, please. No, seriously. 224,000 sold on Sunday, September 30th at Nintendo World at that stupid event?

Nice try. Something's not right, the final # may be right (YTD) for the game, but they're reporting it wrong. So much for NPD being superior.

More like September NPD didn't end on September 30th and you just didn't read before posting. So much for TSA yadda yadda yadda.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
"Sold AT retail"
Yeah. I'm just going to assume 100k sold at retail last week and be done with it. Also interesting how Sony is now quoting numbers based on retail sales, when for the first price cut, they only cited % increase at "the top five retailers". I'm assuming the 100k is for all of retail this time around.

Good start to the new price point. Bring on November.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Gary Whitta said:
Gotta be worth considering at this point. It's easy to love your wife when she's young and hot and making you happy (PS2), but after a few years when she lets herself go and just sits around all day doing nothing and draining your bank account (PS3) any man will of course be tempted to start looking elsewhere for some sweet lovin'.

I also heard a rumbling that Naughty Dog shopped Uncharted (back when it was Project Big) to other publishers before Sony picked it up.

TSA said:
September:
NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS NINTENDO OF AMERICA 3 224K

NPD September also includes October 1st to the 6th.

Loudninja

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah. I'm just going to assume 100k sold at retail last week and be done with it. Also interesting how Sony is now quoting numbers based on retail sales, when for the first price cut, they only cited % increase at "the top five retailers". I'm assuming the 100k is for all of retail this time around.

yeah, this must mean the numbers are good this time :lol

LukeSmith

Stumpokapow said:
Okay but for any definition of the word exclusive, there are a maximum of three third party exclusives that have made it into the top ten over the last year. By the strict definition of an exclusive, there have been 0. It's not a Wii thing. It's an industry thing.

Either a) There are no big third party exclusives anymore or b) They aren't selling.

Or C. when they arrive they sell on the lead platform and then their exclusivity wears out and they fizzle on the second console. See: GRAW, Oblivion, (did VF5 do better in its first month on PS3 than it did on 360 or is that next month?) Multiplatform titles that arrive on a console first, to the consumer are exclusive to that platform till its available elsewhere. MGS last gen sold significantly better on PS2 than it did on Xbox, right? But it's still hailed as a key exclusive in the last gen. See, it's inconsistent.

justjohn

jetjevons said:
I also heard a rumbling that Naughty Dog shopped Uncharted (back when it was Project Big) to other publishers before Sony picked it up.
why would a sony owned studio be developing for othr publishers?

mr stroke

mood said:
What is telling of the Ratchet numbers is that it wasnt a preorder game by any indication.
so GS lied to me when they said "better Pre-Order Ratchet now because we only have enough for pre-orders":lol

Well, even if the final # is right, 500,000 in two months? Wii version Twilight Princess sold twice as many, and factor in GCN, and it was like 1.5 million sold through 2006 of Twilight Princess. So now Nintendo gets to think through...hmm...TP sold well in the west, but bomber here, but PH sold awesome here in Japan, but it's not selling like hotcakes in the west. but I guess, meh, maybe it will break 1m by year's end here, too. That's better than The Minish Cap, at least.

Golden Darkness said:
NPD September also includes October 1st to the 6th.

Problem solved. Thanks for explaining that.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GhaleonEB said:

With Black Friday coming up, that 100k/week number should increase, hopefully, for Sony's sake heh.

If Europe does similar numbers, and Japan's 56k/week number does not drop off too sharply, they could be looking at 1mil+ for November worldwide.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
msdstc said:

Nope.

Avrum

TSA said:

It could continue to have legs and sell quite a hefty amount when all is said and done. Although as mentioned before you're missing a reporting period. Phantom Hourglass has sold rather well thus far.

Top Bottom