• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

xbhaskarx said:
So the PS3 was outsold over 3x by the 360 and almost 4.3x by the Wii...
I think the chances of the PS3 not finishing third in America (by the time the first new console is launched) are looking very slim at this point.
To do so, it would actually have to *outsell* one or both of the others consistently at some point, and that seems unlikely.
PS3 has bigger fish to fry, like staying alive anywhere on the globe given its altogether shitastic software sales.

MassiveAttack said:
So let's see here...

$399 40GB didn't officially release until Nov. 2nd
Ratchet & Clank wasn't widely available at retail until the last week of October

... But October NPD is being used to declare game over for Sony.

Fantastic.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was getting confused with all the certainty in this thread.

Why are people saying Sony lied when the numbers they annouced aren't even in this months NPD?

Metalmurphy said:
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was getting confused with all the certainty in this thread.

Why are people saying Sony lied when the numbers they annouced aren't even in this months NPD?

For the 50th time, they made a statement about sales during the last week of October. And the preceding weeks, too.

With those numbers being false (or shipped), why put stock in their claims about the first two weeks of November?

AdmiralViscen said:
For the 50th time, they made a statement about sales during the last week of October. And the preceding weeks, too.

With those numbers being false (or shipped), why put stock in their claims about the first two weeks of November?

So?... 121K > 75K. Why are they lying?

And AFAIK the full week isn't included in this months NDP.

acklame

Maxwell House said:
Actually, 74k for the first 2 weeks is horrible for one of Sony's big guns this fall. Sales for software is usually pretty frontloaded.

Clearly you guys have not followed the sales pattern of Ratchet series. All of the previous R&C games came out in similar time frame and weren't that front loaded. Being more of a holiday game, I recall that previous R&C games started at around 100-150k in the first month and sustained that level of sales for the remaining of the year. They went on to break the 1 million mark after greatest hits. R&CF will definitely sell more than what it did this month in november and december, and will continue to sell well after that so in 6 months and 1 year from now the cumulative sales will be pretty decent. In addition, the marketing for R&CF didn't start till 10/26 as the game was originally scheduled to come out on 10/29.

Metalmurphy said:

NPD goes to the 2nd or 3rd of November AFAIK.

Do you seriously think they sold only 50k PS3s in the first 3 weeks of the month? Please, be serious.

Not to mention that they also said PS3 was selling 30-40k for the preceding weeks of October. Minimum sales for the month were 165k by Sony's claim. (30 30 30 75),

mysticstylez said:
Would the Wii be selling as well if Wii Sports wasn't packed in?
If we're comparing a universe where it's a $250 Wii + Wii Sports pack or a universe where it's a $200 Wii + $50 Wii Sports... I don't imagine the difference is THAT huge. Maybe bad at the beginning, because it forced everyone to try Wii Sports and have it there to show others, but by this point people already know they want Wii Sports.

Fredescu

AdmiralViscen said:
No it didn't.
If it did 400k/month in all regions it would probably make it's money back, unlike say Ratchet and Clank. Below expectations for sure. Whether we decide to put it above or below mediocre is a semantic argument I don't care about in the least.

titiklabingapat said:
You also got to remember, NA Wii userbase is far more diverse. TP also did better here compared to Japan, and both Red Steel and RRR both did well.
You could be right. It would really want to smash Sunshines sales to be a convincing argument to third parties. I have no idea what that sold in the US though. Supposedly 5.5 million WW.

AdmiralViscen said:
NPD goes to the 2nd or 3rd of November AFAIK.

Do you seriously think they sold only 50k PS3s in the first 3 weeks of the month? Please, be serious.

Not to mention that they also said PS3 was selling 30-40k for the preceding weeks of October. Minimum sales for the month were 165k by Sony's claim. (30 30 30 75),

I missed that part. Was it on the same announcement as the 100K one?

LukeSmith said:
Which de facto third party exclusives is the Wii getting and really burning up the sales charts with? Your logic is incredibly flawed in this regard. PS3 and 360 will both continue to get their fair share of 3rd party exclusives, third party software -- Guitar Hero phenomenon notwithstanding -- has not sold well, so I'm confused as to what you mean by "de facto." Developers are going to continue to make games for PS3 and 360 and marketing dollars will continue to move the needle of exclusivity. I'm unsure that Nintendo is going to get de facto exclusives until we see third party sales that aren't aberrations like GH3 perform well on the console.

de facto exclusive = one that doesn't have the hardware vendor giving a special consideration for. PS2 had a ton last gen, they didn't need moneyhats.

Some Wii exclusives:

Carnival Games
Raving Rabbids 2
Zack & Wiki
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Umbrella Chronicles
Soul Calibur Legends
Opoona
My Sims
Mushroom Men
Ghost Squad
Project Rygar
Alien Syndrome
Boogie
Nights
Namco Remix
etc.

The list goes on and on and on. Wii has way more third party exclusive action going than the high-def systems, which are sharing the vast majority of their third-party titles now that developers are getting up to speed on PS3 (I wouldn't count stuff like GRAW, Saints Row, CoD2 as exclusive for any reason other than 360 launched much earlier). There are like 20+ exclusives coming out for Wii late this year compared to five or so each for 360 and PS3.

Note that I never said they were 'burning up the charts', but with development costs so much lower that isn't as important (and it also makes risk much lower).

Fredescu said:
If it did 400k/month in all regions it would probably make it's money back, unlike say Ratchet and Clank. Below expectations for sure. Whether we decide to put it above or below mediocre is a semantic argument I don't care about in the least.

You created a semantic argument by throwing my "it'll sell well in the US" back in my face by saying it sold "well" in Japan.

Metalmurphy said:
I missed that part. Was it on the same announcement as the 100K one?

Don't know where the original PR is, but here's something:

Sony has sold approximately five million PS3 consoles worldwide by October 2007. In fact, by October end, sales of their next generation console had risen to 75, 000. Before that, the figures were somewhere between 30,000 and 40,000 units per week. Sony’s competitors Microsoft also cut the price of the Xbox 360 but arch rivals Nintendo have refused to cut the price of the Wii.

http://www.gameguru.in/sony-playstation-3/2007/15/ps3-sales-increase-after-price-cut/

edit: Here's something better

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5joMF7F-Mu7S6jyhQpf4-PXHhcbvAD8STR74G0

Sony said it had been selling between 30,000 and 40,000 consoles per week before the Oct. 18 price cut from $599 to $499 of the 80 GB model.

Sales rose to 75,000 in the week of Oct. 29, reflecting both the lower price of the high-end model and the introduction of a 40-gigabyte model for $399 on Nov. 2, the company said. And it was the following week that sales hit 100,000, according to Sony.

PS3 didn't sell 165k in October, so do we really think it sold 100k in the first week of November NPD? I guess we'll have to see. If it actually does do that, and then further accelerates at the end of the month, then it'll be in a comfortable high-400s area. If it doesn't, in fact, quadruple in sales, I think there's something to be concerned about.

Loudninja said:
Its funny how people are still trying to say they lied

Well, either that or NPD is off from reality by 25%. Or Sony is pointlessly bragging about shipment numbers in the thick of a new SKU launch.

What do you suggest?

Dalthien

I just noticed that the Wii just outsold the PS2's best October ever. And the Wii was still supply constrained. It really is putting up some amazing numbers.

The best October for PS2 was 2002, where it followed with its best holiday season ever that year as well, selling nearly 4 million units in Nov + Dec. The scary thing is that I think the Wii would have a good shot at matching those numbers this season if only the supply was available.

Metalmurphy said:

They talked about "the week of October 29", in which case 6 of those 7 days would be counted for. They said
Sony said it had been selling between 30,000 and 40,000 consoles per week before the Oct. 18 price cut.

Sales rose to 75,000 in the week of Oct. 29, reflecting both the lower price of the high-end model and the introduction of a 40 gigabyte model for $399 on Nov. 2, the company said.
Which I took to mean (30-40K)*3 + 75 = about 180K for the NPD period of October.

I can't keep track anymore, is Sony boned or what?

I thought the $399 40GB PS3 came out in November. The first price cut was for the higher end model in October to $499 right?

Dalthien said:
I just noticed that the Wii just outsold the PS2's best October ever. And the Wii was still supply constrained. It really is putting up some amazing numbers.

The best October for PS2 was 2002, where it followed with its best holiday season ever that year as well, selling nearly 4 million units in Nov + Dec. The scary thing is that I think the Wii would have a good shot at matching those numbers this season if only the supply was available.
Rumour has it that Nintendo is increasing shipments by as much as 400% in some retailers(toys r us), and it started last week, just in time for SMG.

Loudninja

HomerSimpson-Man said:

I thought the $399 40GB PS3 came out in November. The first price cut was for the higher end model in October to $499 right?

It did

J-Rzez

mysticstylez said:
How is it a sad time for Playstation Gamers they are getting some awesome games, it's more like sad times for Sony.

Don't bother. This is why I didn't really mind when we thought we wouldn't get NPD threads anymore as people consider Sales = More fun than games. It's statements like that one he made that proves that. If it were true people wouldn't be in 360/PS3 multiplatform game announcement threads saying "Wii would like to play too". PS3 owners still have a LOT to look forward to (in some eyes, more than the other two machines combined), exclusives wise and multiplatform wise. We're still going to get great games no matter what, especially considering Sony has some of the best Devs as first party.

titiklabingapat said:
No ellipses :D

Give a lil to get a lil.

HomerSimpson-Man said:

You could just go back a page and look at my post instead.

Fredescu said:

You could be right. It would really want to smash Sunshines sales to be a convincing argument to third parties. I have no idea what that sold in the US though. Supposedly 5.5 million WW.
More than half of those 5.5m was probably sold in the USA since it only did 1m in Japan, and Europe was Sonic land during the SNES days.

J-Rzez said:
Don't bother. This is why I didn't really mind when we thought we wouldn't get NPD threads anymore as people consider Sales = More fun than games. It's statements like that one he made that proves that. If it were true people wouldn't be in 360/PS3 multiplatform game announcement threads saying "Wii would like to play too". PS3 owners still have a LOT to look forward to (in some eyes, more than the other two machines combined), exclusives wise and multiplatform wise. We're still going to get great games no matter what, especially considering Sony has some of the best Devs as first party.

You're right, I had to delete my completed Ratchet save file in order to participate in this topic.

I don't know what rational person things there is more to look forward to on PS3 than the others combined. I'd take that person's word as more suspect than someone who just likes tracking consumer trends and sales statistics. Although I suppose phrasing it as "more to look forward to" is just a neat little way of cutting off all the awesome shit on Wii60 already, and setting the odds against two companies who really haven't revealed any details about their plans for 2008.

It's funny, when I participate in conversations like these over car sales or movie revenue, no "other side" feels the need to "bite back."

HomerSimpson-Man said:

You also have to bear in mind these figure run to Nov 3rd and so include all 40Gb pre-orders and people picking up the system day 1

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
HomerSimpson-Man said:

I have a feeling that Sony being boned is a forgone conclusion as far as the PS3 is concerned. Even with November's pricedrop and and games I just don't see it beating the 360 or Wii next month. Has the PS3 ever come in second (out of the current gen machines) in 2007?

PGR4 sales more than anything make me sad. Racing excellence in there. The PGR series has some kind of bad association with it. I just know Pro Street which is no where near in the same league is going to stomp it sales wise.

MassiveAttack said:
Since when does NPD include pre-orders?

He's obviously referring to first-day buyers.

Nice to see how you respond to the weak posts while making indirect blanket statements about the strong posts.

etiolate said:
Will we be getting any Zak & Wiki numbers?

I saw some blog call it at 45k after a week or two, I don't know where they got their numbers from though.

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/11/15/do-complex-games-face-an-uncertain-future-on-the-wii/

I wouldn't trust it. Sounds too high to me tbh.

AdmiralViscen said:
He's obviously referring to first-day buyers.

Nice to see how you respond to the weak posts while making indirect blanket statements about the strong posts.

I saw some blog call it at 45k after a week or two, I don't know where they got their numbers from though.

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/11/15/do-complex-games-face-an-uncertain-future-on-the-wii/

I wouldn't trust it. Sounds too high to me tbh.

:lol Diminishing returns from GAF emphatically confirmed.

gkryhewy

Warm Machine said:
PGR4 sales more than anything make me sad. Racing excellence in there. The PGR series has some kind of bad association with it. I just know Pro Street which is no where near in the same league is going to stomp it sales wise.

This is payback for RR6 at launch. Death to tweener racers!

Some impressive Microsoft PR. Sorry if already posted....did quick scan, but didn't see anything.
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/microsoft-hypes-xbox-360-momentum/18566/

For the month of October, Xbox 360 led in total revenue with $354 million compared to $246 million for Wii and $116 million for PS3.

Xbox 360 software revenue at retail surpassed that of Wii and PS3 combined.

For the month of October according to NPD, Xbox 360 software represented 54 percent of total software sales (at $162 million dollars) for this generation, compared to 30 percent for Wii and 16 percent for PS3.

Xbox 360 was home to seven out of the top 10 rated games through the end of October according to Metacritic.

Of all 3rd party U.S. software revenue in October, Xbox 360 generated more than double that of the PS3 and Wii. Xbox 360 weighs in at 57 percent with $130 million, compared to Wii with 28 percent and PS3 at 15 percent.

PS3 and Wii combined had one third party title in the top ten console title list for the month, while Xbox 360 weighed in with 2. Since November, third party partners have seen their titles hit the top ten 29 times for Xbox 360, compared to 2 for PS3 and 2 for Wii.

In last week's earnings announcement from Electronic Arts, Xbox 360 represented 50 percent ($218 million) of their total revenue during the third quarter. In fact, EA titles on Xbox 360 outperformed those same titles on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, PSP, Wii and DS combined.

PS3 owners (other than me and 74,999 others) fucking suck.

Ratchet and Clank is easily the best title on the system and it's not exactly a niche title. What the fuck are people doing with their PS3s?!? Or PSPs for that matter?!?

Loudninja

dammitmattt said:

Ratchet and Clank is easily the best title on the system and it's not exactly a niche title. What the fuck are people doing with their PS3s?!? Or PSPs for that matter?!?

I am getting it...on the 25th!

gkryhewy

Warm Machine said:
I think Sony's PR from yesterday was premptive to combat this month so they can call numbers into question and create confusion for a month.

While they quietly sell their shares a little bit at a time? Gotcha.

dammitmattt said:

Blu-ray_Disc.svg.png

+

Home-l.jpg
drinkBeer9.jpg

dammitmattt said:

Either they're too cool for a game starring a furry Lombax, or they were playing Halo 3. I don't know, but I had a feeling this would happen.

Ratchet games sell to the youngins, even though I feel it has a wider appeal than that.

Game fucking rules, I'm sure it can get decent legacy sales when it's GH and PS3s are cheaper. I hope.

TheRipDizz said:
Some impressive Microsoft PR. Sorry if already posted....did quick scan, but didn't see anything.

For the month of October, Xbox 360 led in total revenue with $354 million compared to $246 million for Wii and $116 million for PS3.

For the month of October according to NPD, Xbox 360 software represented 54 percent of total software sales (at $162 million dollars) for this generation, compared to 30 percent for Wii and 16 percent for PS3.

Xbox 360 was home to seven out of the top 10 rated games through the end of October according to Metacritic.

Of all 3rd party U.S. software revenue in October, Xbox 360 generated more than double that of the PS3 and Wii. Xbox 360 weighs in at 57 percent with $130 million, compared to Wii with 28 percent and PS3 at 15 percent.

PS3 and Wii combined had one third party title in the top ten console title list for the month, while Xbox 360 weighed in with 2. Since November, third party partners have seen their titles hit the top ten 29 times for Xbox 360, compared to 2 for PS3 and 2 for Wii.

In last week's earnings announcement from Electronic Arts, Xbox 360 represented 50 percent ($218 million) of their total revenue during the third quarter. In fact, EA titles on Xbox 360 outperformed those same titles on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, PSP, Wii and DS combined.

That is an extremely impressive way to tell the story, and unlike recent Sony PR, it's not misleading and it's not using non-NPD numbers.

Nintendo is so dominant that they don't even have to issue any PR statements.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
TheRipDizz said:

Good find

Top Bottom