• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

Dragona Akehi said:
holy shit, a real game sells on wii?

and it's from a 3rd party?

crap. apocalypse incoming.

I wouldn't throw a party yet. Guitar Hero isn't exactly a normal game.

Still, the sales were fairly impressive, and the Wii version might have the best legs of the bunch through Christmas.

dammitmattt said:
I wouldn't throw a party yet. Guitar Hero isn't exactly a normal game.

Still, the sales were fairly impressive, and the Wii version might have the best legs of the bunch through Christmas.

oh so it doesn't count. okies.

dammitmattt said:
That is an extremely impressive way to tell the story, and unlike recent Sony PR, it's not misleading and it's not using non-NPD numbers.

Nintendo is so dominant that they don't even have to issue any PR statements.
Well, they really are getting mopped up on the software front. It's almost a reverse situation of the hardware battle.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
TheRipDizz said:
Well, they really are getting mopped up on the software front. It's almost a reverse situation of the hardware battle.

Anything PR related only goes to serve themselves at this point, while 360 software includes 1st, 2nd and 3rf party software

Hey guys.

Interesting month. I've got a write up over at the blog (niceskybox.com).

I'm really surprised by how much stock it looks like Nintendo will have for the holidays. I never expected this kind of performence in October. Extremely impressive, imo.

360 did well, and while I'm inclined to wait for November to put PS3's numbers in perspective, it was a bad October for Sony. No doubt about it.

TheRipDizz said:
Some impressive Microsoft PR. Sorry if already posted....did quick scan, but didn't see anything.
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/microsoft-hypes-xbox-360-momentum/18566/

For the month of October, Xbox 360 led in total revenue with $354 million compared to $246 million for Wii and $116 million for PS3.

Xbox 360 software revenue at retail surpassed that of Wii and PS3 combined.

For the month of October according to NPD, Xbox 360 software represented 54 percent of total software sales (at $162 million dollars) for this generation, compared to 30 percent for Wii and 16 percent for PS3.

Xbox 360 was home to seven out of the top 10 rated games through the end of October according to Metacritic.

Of all 3rd party U.S. software revenue in October, Xbox 360 generated more than double that of the PS3 and Wii. Xbox 360 weighs in at 57 percent with $130 million, compared to Wii with 28 percent and PS3 at 15 percent.

PS3 and Wii combined had one third party title in the top ten console title list for the month, while Xbox 360 weighed in with 2. Since November, third party partners have seen their titles hit the top ten 29 times for Xbox 360, compared to 2 for PS3 and 2 for Wii.

In last week's earnings announcement from Electronic Arts, Xbox 360 represented 50 percent ($218 million) of their total revenue during the third quarter. In fact, EA titles on Xbox 360 outperformed those same titles on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, PSP, Wii and DS combined.

Yeah, I'd say they're pretty much in the third party catbird seat from here on out.

Lefty42o

Banned
dammitmattt said:
PS3 owners (other than me and 74,999 others) fucking suck.

Ratchet and Clank is easily the best title on the system and it's not exactly a niche title. What the fuck are people doing with their PS3s?!? Or PSPs for that matter?!?

we bought games for our 360's. i haven't bought a ps3 game since heavenly sword.

tried the r&c demo , looked great just not my tyoe of game.

i did buy 2 bluray movies though.

i am with some of the other posters who feel alot of the ps3 owners also onw 360's or wii's. and we tend to buy games for our other consoles. don't owrry i am likley to get ut3 for the ps3 when it comes out.

Busaiku

For the month of October according to NPD, Xbox 360 software represented 54 percent of total software sales (at $162 million dollars) for this generation, compared to 30 percent for Wii and 16 percent for PS3.
Found this a bit interesting.
Since it's based on revenue, it seems Wii games are doing well in the US actually.
Though that's not saying that the 360 is doing far better.

DayShallCome said:
Hey guys.

Interesting month. I've got a write up over at the blog (niceskybox.com).

I'm really surprised by how much stock it looks like Nintendo will have for the holidays. I never expected this kind of performence in October. Extremely impressive, imo.

360 did well, and while I'm inclined to wait for November to put PS3's numbers in perspective, it was a bad October for Sony. No doubt about it.

What's with all the doom and gloom?

Why do you have such a seething hatred for Sony?

I bet you've never played a Sony console. In fact, I bet you don't play games at all! Enjoy your spreadsheets!

chubigans said:
I dunno, Ratchet *officially* launched on the 31st, didn't it?

It launched on 10/24 so it had about 10 days worth of sales, which is the period where most games sell a majority of the copies that they are ever going to sell. Especially on the more "hardcore" platforms like the 360 and PS3.

The big fight is now Uncharted vs. Ratchet and Clank. No matter who wins, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sony all lose. Oh well...at least I get to play Uncharted tomorrow!

Talamius

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, I'd say they're pretty much in the third party catbird seat from here on out.

For all the talk about Wii 3rd party sales, maybe it's PS3 sales that really need examining.

If I were a publisher and profit was my #1 concern, I'd develop for the 360 and the Wii, and port the Wii version to PS2. I'd treat the PS3 like the black death.

MS PR said:

Of all 3rd party U.S. software revenue in October, Xbox 360 generated more than double that of the PS3 and Wii. Xbox 360 weighs in at 57 percent with $130 million, compared to Wii with 28 percent and PS3 at 15 percent.
Seems not far off from even. As of the mid-point of this month, the hardware split was something like 51% X360, 35% Wii, 14% PS3. Wii games averaging a lower price, similar sales create less revenue.

dammitmattt said:
Don't forget a large chunk of that Wii number is Wii Sports, which should really be counted as an accessory.

A lesser percentage than usual. (edit: Wii Play I mean)

Don't forget that Halo 3 was in its second month this month, either. And it's by revenue, not unit sales.

I wouldn't call it getting "mopped up," whatever it is.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, that's awesome, hopefully it makes Sega wake up and realize how well the 360 is doing. They're probably going to be watching VF5 next month, hope it does well.

Busaiku

dammitmattt said:
Don't forget a large chunk of that Wii number is Wii Sports, which should really be counted as an accessory.
I don't think Wii Sports (though it seems you're talking about Wii Play) are included in that, as it seems to be based on revenue.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Lefty42o said:
we bought games for our 360's. i haven't bought a ps3 game since heavenly sword.

tried the r&c demo , looked great just not my tyoe of game.

i did buy 2 bluray movies though.

i am with some of the other posters who feel alot of the ps3 owners also onw 360's or wii's. and we tend to buy games for our other consoles. don't owrry i am likley to get ut3 for the ps3 when it comes out.

I bought Ratchet and Clank. I don't buy Blu-Ray movies though. I also buy my games for the 360 as well.

ggnoobIGN said:
Over-Exaggeration.
360 owners nearly buy two games for every game that gets purchased for the Wii while the 360 only has 40% more consoles on the market than the Wii. I don't think it is really.

GhaleonEB

JoshuaJSlone said:
Seems not far off from even. As of the mid-point of this month, the hardware split was something like 51% X360, 35% Wii, 14% PS3. Wii games averaging a lower price, similar sales create less revenue.
Yup. As with a lot of the MS PR this month, it's largely a function of the installed base.

Narcosis

dammitmattt said:
PS3 owners (other than me and 74,999 others) fucking suck.

Ratchet and Clank is easily the best title on the system and it's not exactly a niche title. What the fuck are people doing with their PS3s?!? Or PSPs for that matter?!?

Apparently PS3 games don't have the ability to capture a certain "mindshare" with their customer base like 360 games do. Almost every person I know that owns a PS3 also owns a 360 and I can tell you that my friends list on PS3 is practically dead at all times yet I see people wandering in and out of XBL pretty much at all times. I dunno what it is with PS3 software really, perhaps if every game had some Metal gear or Final Fantasy reference in it they would sell. Perhaps Insomniac should have named the game "Ratchet and Clank Fantasy: Metal Gear of Destruction"

Dalthien

TheRipDizz said:
Not really. The 360 was 54%, Wii was 30% software revenue. Keep in mind that Wii games typically need to be boosted by 20% in order to match the X360 price.

For a rough breakdown, in terms of software units, add 20% (revenue markup) to the Wii's 30% share, and in terms of software units sold, the Wii is at 36% vs. 54% (for a relative comparison - not actual percentages) for the X360.

Software units ratio (360:Wii) = 54/36 = 1.5:1
Hardware units ratio (360:Wii) = 1.41:1

Software is selling slightly better on the X360 than would be expected by a straight install base comparison - but it is actually quite close.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
BenjaminBirdie said:

Well, 2008 is when MS is pulling out of the games biz anyway. :p

YYZ

yea I think Ratchet sales will be nice continuing through to the January NPDs. It's a GREAT game for any parents getting it for new PS3 owners (which hopefully will be many more with the new price, including the younger market).

Lefty42o

Banned
Dalthien said:
Not really. The 360 was 54%, Wii was 30% software revenue. Keep in mind that Wii games typically need to be boosted by 20% in order to match the X360 price.

So in terms of software units, add 20% (revenue markup) to the Wii's 30% share, and in terms of software units sold, the Wii is at 36% vs. 54% for the X360.

Software units ratio (360:Wii) = 54/36 = 1.5:1
Hardware units ratio (360:Wii) = 1.41:1

Software is selling slightly better on the X360 than would be expected by a straight install base comparison - but it is actually pretty damn close.

maybe so but the real story is 3rd party sales. thats where microsoft is really mopping the floor.

but the wii has been improving in that aspect. ghIII was a good thing for 3rd party devs and might help get some more solid 3rd party support on the wii

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
WULFER said:
Good PR and good sales numbers, seems like another good month. Third parties have got to love it! :D
Hopefully they're all reading this:
Of all 3rd party U.S. software revenue in October, Xbox 360 generated more than double that of the PS3 and Wii.

Lefty42o

Banned
YYZ said:
yea I think Ratchet sales will be nice continuing through to the January NPDs. It's a GREAT game for any parents getting it for new PS3 owners (which hopefully will be many more with the new price, including the younger market).

at 399 i don't think we will see the parents moving to the ps3 as of yet. i think thats what will hurt the ps3 and games like r&C more is the wii and its apeal.

399 price poit will def help to open up the market but it will still be at a hardcore price point. and that will hurt sales of those kid oreinted titles.

Dartastic

beermonkey@tehbias said:
de facto exclusive = one that doesn't have the hardware vendor giving a special consideration for. PS2 had a ton last gen, they didn't need moneyhats.

Some Wii exclusives:

Carnival Games
Raving Rabbids 2
Zack & Wiki
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Umbrella Chronicles
Soul Calibur Legends
Opoona
My Sims
Mushroom Men
Ghost Squad
Project Rygar
Alien Syndrome
Boogie
Nights
Namco Remix
etc.

The list goes on and on and on. Wii has way more third party exclusive action going than the high-def systems, which are sharing the vast majority of their third-party titles now that developers are getting up to speed on PS3 (I wouldn't count stuff like GRAW, Saints Row, CoD2 as exclusive for any reason other than 360 launched much earlier). There are like 20+ exclusives coming out for Wii late this year compared to five or so each for 360 and PS3.

Note that I never said they were 'burning up the charts', but with development costs so much lower that isn't as important (and it also makes risk much lower).

I would refer you to my earlier comment about "Wii 3rd party games not being shit." How many of those are actually quality? Because honestly, who cares how many "exclusives" there are if they're all terrible. I would argue Nights has potential, Zack is awesome (but I don't know how that panned out) and possibly Umbrella Chronicles. Quick cash in games don't work on Nintendo systems because 3rd parties have games like Super Mario Galaxy to deal with. Your list is practially pointless due to this fact. Tell those 3rd parties to release good games on the Wii, then you might have an argument.

Lefty42o said:
maybe so but the real story is 3rd party sales. thats where microsoft is really mopping the floor.

but the wii has been improving in that aspect. ghIII was a good thing for 3rd party devs and might help get some more solid 3rd party support on the wii

It's still another oddball peripheral-based party sort of game, though.

I just don't know anymore with Wii.

Dalthien

Lefty42o said:

Well yeah - but I didn't think that anyone was seriously suggesting that Wii 3rd party sales are anywhere near 360 3rd party sales at this point.

Lefty42o said:

I am with you there. I own all three consoles and the only games I get on the PS3 are the high-end exclusives while my 3rd party purchases are all on the 360. From what it looks like, there are four types of PS3 gamers:

1. Hardcore Sony fan - does buy games
2. Casual gamer who only knows the brand - bought Madden and Guitar Hero
3. A/V Enthusiast - watches Blu-ray movies
4. Typical NeoGAF gamer with all three systems - might buy some exclusives, but 3rd party purchases are on 360

There aren't enough of #1 and there aren't enough games (at the right prices) appealing to #2, hence the reason why Sony isn't moving much software.

Lefty42o

Banned
Dartastic said:
I would refer you to my earlier comment about "Wii 3rd party games not being shit." How many of those are actually quality? Because honestly, who cares how many "exclusives" there are if they're all terrible. I would argue Nights has potential, Zack is awesome (but I don't know how that panned out) and possibly Umbrella Chronicles. Quick cash in games don't work on Nintendo systems because 3rd parties have games like Super Mario Galaxy to deal with. Your list is practially pointless due to this fact. Tell those 3rd parties to release good games on the Wii, then you might have an argument.

excatly.

we don't see any AAA 3rd party games on the wii as devs keep trying to make quick easy cash. with the wii selling like it is devs hopefully are moving to make some deep quality titles for the wii.

but mayube that will always be the wii's negative. 3rd part support. i hope it changes.

Narcosis said:
Apparently PS3 games don't have the ability to capture a certain "mindshare" with their customer base like 360 games do. Almost every person I know that owns a PS3 also owns a 360 and I can tell you that my friends list on PS3 is practically dead at all times yet I see people wandering in and out of XBL pretty much at all times. I dunno what it is with PS3 software really, perhaps if every game had some Metal gear or Final Fantasy reference in it they would sell. Perhaps Insomniac should have named the game "Ratchet and Clank Fantasy: Metal Gear of Destruction"

Possibly because they're the same people. As you went on to illustrate. People tend to only behave that way with their primary console. PS3 is going to be like the Xbox was for that base. It'll mostly be the high profile exclusives that get beaucoup sales. Ratchet may have fallen into the Viva Pinata trap.

Deku

Banned
3rd party Software is actually pretty weak considering how dominant 1st party stuff are on all 3 platforms. EA's Madden for example underperformed collasally this year compared to last when PS2 sales still topped.

As already noted comparing revenue market share provided by NPD is like comparing apples and oranges when you consider for example the everage DS title is priced at around 50% that of a next-gen HD title, a Wii title is $10 less. DS titles rarely rank in the top 10, even if they sold more units.

dammitmattt said:
I am with you there. I own all three consoles and the only games I get on the PS3 are the high-end exclusives while my 3rd party purchases are all on the 360. From what it looks like, there are four types of PS3 gamers:

4. Typical NeoGAF gamer with all three systems - might buy some exclusives, but 3rd party purchases are on 360

There aren't enough of #1 and there aren't enough games (at the right prices) appealing to #2, hence the reason why Sony isn't moving much software.

Bam, this is it. I was just saying exactly this to my friend earlier, haha.

One of my suitemates is a #2, he was recently swayed to 360 :eek:

Word is only now getting out to some people that GTA4 is on 360.

Lefty42o

Banned
dammitmattt said:

yup. its a rock and a hard place. the new price point will help move some more hardware but i doubt it changes this make up as of yet. we need bigger games excluisve to the ps3 to help change its palce in the market.

many are looking at uncharted. and i epxect it to sell well but for me personally uncharted is not that must have game. they need top get gt5, mgs4, ffxIII out the door next year. those games are what will really blow up the software and hardware charts.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
Possibly because they're the same people. As you went on to illustrate. People tend to only behave that way with their primary console. PS3 is going to be like the Xbox was for that base. It'll mostly be the high profile exclusives that get beaucoup sales. Ratchet may have fallen into the Viva Pinata trap.
Heh. I knew you'd like that post. And I think it may very well be the case that there's a lot of overlap between those two right now. It would certainly explain a great deal.

Fredescu

AdmiralViscen said:
What's with all the doom and gloom?

Why do you have such a seething hatred for Sony?

I bet you've never played a Sony console. In fact, I bet you don't play games at all! Enjoy your spreadsheets!
Did he edit it after you posted this?
some internet guys blog said:
Sony cut the price of 80 gig PS3 halfway through October to $499 and released a new 40 gig PS3 at the end of the month for $399. Though the 40 gig version only accounted for two days of sales for the October reporting period, the PS3’s dismal performance must be troubling for Sony. Making matters worse, the new Rachet and Clank game, a flagship Sony IP, sold a paltry 75k copies. Not only is the PS3 not selling well, but core Sony franchises have yet to find an audience. While we won’t know the full scope of the PS3’s woes until November data is released (Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune will be a good barometer), its outlook continues to worsen. On the plus side for Sony, PSP continued its impressive sales run following the release of a new model in September and should do well throughout the holidays. PS2 will also continue its strong performance.
Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary to me. Seething hatred? What? Joke?

Lefty42o

Banned
Deku said:
Software is actually pretty weak considering how dominant 1st party stuff are on all 3 platforms. EA's Madden for example underperformed collasally this year compared to last when PS2 sales still topped.

It'sa transition year still (when developers transition out of a PlayStation centric strategy).

not true. ps3 and wii yes but the 360 has been doing great 3rd party software numbers. its a goldmine for 3rd partys.

what 29 games in the top 10.

gears of war, dead rising, and soon mass effect just to name a few big selling 3rd party games.

GhaleonEB said:
Heh. I knew you'd like that post. And I think it may very well be the case that there's a lot of overlap between those two right now. It would certainly explain a great deal.

Yeah. I just feel like it would explain a lot. And I keep reading all these posts that are like "I dunno, I just don't get why this or that isn't selling?" and I keep thinking like "Well, really, still, here's what I think..."

A couple months ago Nintendo reveiled that 3rd parties combined are selling more than all 1st parties combined on Wii. GHIII for Wii is keeping that statement true.

Narcosis said:

The PS3 is definitely lacking community for a variety of reasons, not the least of which the online component is still lagging far behind the 360's. Sure, you have small pockets of enthusiasm around Warhawk and Resistance, but there are probably more people playing Halo 3 every single night than there are playing anything on the PS3.

Wii and PS3 devotees have derided the "pack mentality" of the 360 crowd and I'm still not sure why because it is good for the industry. The Wii and especially the PS3 need more of that.

Krowley

I'm only about halfway through reading this thread, but I wanted to say...

The R&C sales are the most shocking thing about this NPD to me. If I had a PS3, I would be all over that game. It's one of the most stunning looking games I've ever seen, and it seems to be extremly fun. It's terrible that it didn't even make the top 10.

This outlines the difference between bombing on an HD system and bombing on the wii. Imagine how much Ratchet cost to make? That game has huge production values on every level. Something like Zack and Wiki bombing is much less devastating.

edit// And this definitly outlines the difference between a real bomb and a percieved bomb. Metroid prime, sold less than expected, but it did not "bomb". Those are very healthy sales for a series that has a niche reputation.. It didn't get 360 type sales, but it did pretty well. R&C sales are horrible, and I'm sure it cost much more to make than MP3. It's a disaster. If I was a 3rd party developer, I would be terrified.

Lefty42o

Banned
dammitmattt said:
The PS3 is definitely lacking community for a variety of reasons, not the least of which the online component is still lagging far behind the 360's. Sure, you have small pockets of enthusiasm around Warhawk and Resistance, but there are probably more people playing Halo 3 every single night than there are playing anything on the PS3.

Wii and PS3 devotees have derided the "pack mentality" of the 360 crowd and I'm still not sure why because it is good for the industry. The Wii and especially the PS3 need more of that.

u got that right. we see a friend playing a new big game and we need to ask how it is and go pick it up. since ac came out i have ben hit with over 50 messages on how it is and feel i contrinbuted to atleast 10 or more sells.

its crazy.

Deku said:
3rd party Software is actually pretty weak considering how dominant 1st party stuff are on all 3 platforms. EA's Madden for example underperformed collasally this year compared to last when PS2 sales still topped.

As already noted comparing revenue market share provided by NPD is like comparing apples and oranges when you consider for example the everage DS title is priced at around 50% that of a next-gen HD title, a Wii title is $10 less. DS titles rarely rank in the top 10, even if they sold more units.
I'm sure that many third parties are 'transitioning' away as fast as they possibly can now. :) (Not stealthy enough an edit, it seems.)

Top Bottom