• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

gkrykewy said:
That's because everything else IS shit. Everything else had declines from September! Sorry to repeat, but I remain shocked at this.

Let's not forget September had:

1. First full month of PS3 price drop + slim model
2. First full month of 360 Elite price drop
3. Halo ODST
4. 5 weeks worth of sales as opposed to 4 weeks in October

Brimstone said:
The PS3 is decimating the XB360.

Sony is just in the early stages of shock and awe. They are on the cusp of releasing next-gen LCD technology and that will be the next thing gamers clamor for. Remarkable turn around for the company.

lol fanboys. It's a little quick to be calling this a turnaround, isn't it?

gkryhewy

:enemyglider: said:
LOL @ all the butthurt replies

Not once did I hear about Haze or Lair being a 'PS3 savior'. The PS3 chalkboard was just typical fanboy trolling on GAF.

360 fanboys just got a taste of their own medicine the past few months. They can hope and pray that November will turn the tide around, but even if it evens out in November (or 360 gets a lead), it will only be temporary unless Microsoft continues to pull the $99 Arcade card.

Japan is kicking into high gear, sales wise, amounting to ~120-160k lead over the 360 in that region alone (will be much greater in December when FFXIII releases), in the US the PS3 has a lead of ~70k this month. Wish we had some concrete European numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the PS3 outsold the 360 by over 250k in that region. Overall you're probably looking at half a million more PS3s sold than 360s worldwide in the month of October alone. The best 360 can hope for this holiday season is that it'll beat the PS3 in sales in North America for November and December, but unlike years past if the 360 wins it won't be by a whole lot. PS3 keeping pace with 360 in US = 360 getting crushed worldwide.

PS3 will be catching up incredibly fast to the 360's lead. Unless NATAL saves the 360, there's nothing to really stop the increasing YoY declined for the platform.

Fight on, brave warrior.

You're wrong, by the way. Haze was hyped because it was an early exclusive, and Lair was hyped for its graphics.

V_Ben

Banned
jstevenson said:
Oh, sorry, I thought i was in the NPD Sales thread.

oh_snap.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gkrykewy said:
That's because everything else IS shit. Everything else had declines from September! Sorry to repeat, but I remain shocked at this.

PS3 was gonna come down, coming off the boil of the slim release in Sept.

The 360 drop I think is more unexpected.

But for 50k units, ps3 and 360 would have basically swapped places compared to last Oct.

All that said, that the 360 and Wii are so thoroughly down vs last year even with the Wii drop, it may not bode well for ANYONE this holiday (given PS3 is also still enjoying a post-cut/slim glow). Contrasting that doom-and-gloom against something like MW2 though and its apparent success...it's a puzzling picture. But an interesting one.

edit - well, factoring the extra week last month does take the edge off a little, but I do wonder if ps3 slim is masking what would be otherwise a pretty awful YoY comparison for everyone going into nov and dec.

IMO MS has basically given up the holiday season. without COD4 sony would have had nov/dec or still may be nipping at their heels. MS needed to drop the price and with natal not coming til next fall i dont know WTF they are doing. its BS that the 360 still costs what it does.

gkryhewy

vicissitudes said:
All that said, that the 360 and Wii are so thoroughly down vs last year even with the Wii drop

Wii's decline from last year is irrelevant. For most of this year, it's YOY declines have been 50%+. Its resurgence post-price drop is the only impressive number here.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Jocchan said:
Don't be a tool, please.
The problem is not the chalkboard meme, it's doing it right: it's supposed to mock the fanboys and their beliefs.
If the PS3 one is about the various "saviors" fanboys have been clamoring for, a 360 one might have been, say, about the different hardware revisions that were supposed to get rid of the RROD. A Wii one might have been about a hardcore title having success. And so on.
The chalkboard in the first page is simply a trollish attempt at console wars that screams "I'm tired of my beloved console being attacked, eat this you dumb fanboys! And this! And this! And also this, I'm feeling generous tonight!".

Not once did I hear about Haze or Lair being a 'PS3 savior'. The PS3 chalkboard was just typical fanboy trolling on GAF.

360 fanboys just got a taste of their own medicine the past few months. They can hope and pray that November will turn the tide around, but even if it evens out in November (or 360 gets a lead), it will only be temporary unless Microsoft continues to pull the $99 Arcade card.

Japan is kicking into high gear, sales wise, amounting to ~120-160k lead over the 360 in that region alone (will be much greater in December when FFXIII releases), in the US the PS3 has a lead of ~70k this month. Wish we had some concrete European numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the PS3 outsold the 360 by over 250k in that region. Overall you're probably looking at half a million more PS3s sold than 360s worldwide in the month of October alone. The best 360 can hope for this holiday season is that it'll beat the PS3 in sales in North America for November and December, but unlike years past if the 360 wins it won't be by a whole lot. PS3 keeping pace with 360 in US = 360 getting crushed worldwide.

PS3 will be catching up incredibly fast to the 360's lead. Unless NATAL saves the 360, there's nothing to really stop the increasing YoY declined for the platform.
You know what? I've been updating the PS3 chalkboard myself for a while. I own a PS3, it has been by far my most played system in this last year, and don't own an Xbox360. I'd like to get one to play the games I'm missing out, but this is besides the point.
Now, please, explain how that chalkboard is typical fanboy trolling on GAF, and how this contradicts what I said in my previous post (another butthurt reply, I guess?).

dolemite

Private Hoffman reporting for duty?

belvedere

Junior Butler
gkrykewy said:
. Haze was hyped because it was an early exclusive, and Lair was hyped for its graphics.

No one ever cared about Haze, and the only category that Lair really lived up to was graphics. So it succeeded there.

:lol Keep digging.

Barrett2

If you spent less time typing and more time working, you could afford both systems & not have to care as much.

http://consolewarrior.ytmnd.com/

Make sure your sound is up.

*not directed at the post but the overall console warrior theme*

Paracelsus

What I'm thinking is: if PS3 -the PS3- is managing to stay neck-to-neck with the 360 in the United States -read: the United States-, what's happening in continental Europe? ._.

Kind of sad numbers for Uncharted 2, you gotta wonder why Sony does even bother anymore, when even games with a 9.6 average score don't reach a million in the NPD.

Jocchan said:
Don't be a tool, please.
The problem is not the chalkboard meme, it's doing it right: it's supposed to mock the fanboys and their beliefs.
If the PS3 one is about the various "saviors" fanboys have been clamoring for, a 360 one might have been, say, about the different hardware revisions that were supposed to get rid of the RROD. A Wii one might have been about a hardcore title having success. And so on.
The chalkboard in the first page is simply a trollish attempt at console wars that screams "I'm tired of my beloved console being attacked, eat this you dumb fanboys! And this! And this! And also this, I'm feeling generous tonight!".

output.gif
38.gif

gerg

gofreak said:
All that said, that the 360 and Wii are so thoroughly down vs last year even with the Wii drop, it may not bode well for ANYONE this holiday (given PS3 is also still enjoying a post-cut/slim glow). Contrasting that doom-and-gloom against something like MW2 though and its apparent success...it's a puzzling picture. But an interesting one.

Nintendo's got it easy compared to last year, as the Wii's sales flatlined last year. They may be someway off the seven million sales from October to December that I originally predicted, but matching (or beating) last year's total shouldn't be a problem.

Danielsan

Good to see Uncharted did some respectable numbers. The game deserved more though.
Also happy to see the PS3 finally doing some healthy sales numbers in the US.
I do think that the 360 will see a significant boost next month. MW2 seems really tied to the 360 (360 is the fps console after all).

Ooh and wow at borderlands.

gkryhewy

belvedere said:
No one ever cared about Haze, and the only category that Lair really lived up to was graphics. So it succeeded there.

Haze: there was that one hardcore fan(boy). AltogetherAndrews?

Paracelsus said:
Kind of sad numbers for Uncharted 2, you gotta wonder why Sony does even bother anymore, when even games with a 9.6 average score don't reach a million in the NPD.
Because they will still make a lot of money on it.

Slurmer

Banned
Jocchan said:
Don't be a tool, please.

Really? It's a joke...about fucking video games.

There's no reason for anyone to get up in arms about it.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
lawblob said:
If you spent less time typing and more time working, you could afford both systems & not have to care as much.

I wish that would make a difference, I own both systems but I still have a love affair with my PS3
312hguf.gif

soco

speaking of butthurt. you seem to be on a mission to get gangraped.

WickedLaharl said:
how much longer can we really expect to see support for the psp?

Until the successor, I guess. Even if it's not a sales success, Sony has the clout to make sure the platform is supported at least with easy third party ports and some big-name first and second party games.

We're not talking about Sega, here.

Well, this is just a guess and all but by the 100,000k lead on the 360 in October, I would be willing to bet worldwide numbers for the ps3 smoked the 360 for October. IF famitsu numbers are to be believed the ps3 beat out the 360 by around 180,000 in japan alone last month. Alas, the Wii is uncatchable and alas none of these figures matter as long as all three consoles keep producing great games.

WasteLand Soldier said:
IMO MS has basically given up the holiday season. without COD4 sony would have had nov/dec or still may be nipping at their heels. MS needed to drop the price and with natal not coming til next fall i dont know WTF they are doing. its BS that the 360 still costs what it does.
Making profit.

Wow... I thought that enemyglider might have just been having a bit of fun with the chalkboard, but I can see he's DEADLY SERIOUS.

jaypah

DMeisterJ said:
Yepp.

LBP and KZ2 didn't get excused but Forza does? Nope.

175k is a terrible opening, for how 'definitive' it is.

:lol wow!

that's as far as i could get in the thread but damn..... talk about praying for failure. some of y'all are fucking pathetic, lol.

anyway, good job on Sonys part. nice hardware numbers and Uncharted 2 deserves all the sales in the world. unless New Super Mario Bros Wii pulls out a last minute victory U2 is my game of the year EASY.

no rhythm games?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
lawblob said:
The problem is people having emotional attachment towards any system. It's immature, if not downright creepy. Every system has its flaws, be them real or perceived thanks to the media and forum posters, and there's nothing wrong with making fun of them and have a laugh. Hell, I make fun of everything CONSTANTLY, even my most beloved franchises.
We're talking about freaking videogames, not exactly the most serious business around. Why so serious, GAF?

Choke on the Magic said:
Slurmer said:
Really? It's a joke...about fucking video games.

There's no reason for anyone to get up in arms about it.
Huh? Who's mad/up in arms?

Suddenly chalkboard humor is no longer in vogue? Although that one was a bit mean, seems some people are being a bit hypocritical here. That Sony chalkboard was posted ad nauseam, long past when it was still funny.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Paracelsus said:
What I'm thinking is: if PS3 -the PS3- is managing to stay neck-to-neck with the 360 in the United States -read: the United States-, what's happening in continental Europe? ._.

I think most people would be pretty damn happy with 500k sales in the first month.

Or even the 175k that Forza got.

Cause most games don't sell that much ever.

iwm6pt.gif

gbovo

worldrevolution said:
Don't see why everyone's happy about the Uncharted 2 sales..they're OK..but will PS3 ever have a million seller out the gate like 360 does all the time? Look at how Borderlands did. Not that far behind Uncharted and I'm sure we'd all agree Uncharted is the bigger release. And if you add in the PS3 sales of Borderlands it probably tied or beat all of Uncharted 2 (in America at least).
Top 10 VG Titles - April'08
Units*
360 GTA IV 1.85mm
PS3 GTA IV 1.00mm
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296026

Top Bottom