• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

WickedLaharl said:
sony just needs to bang out the psp2 and forget the Go ever happened.
Half the price and get more games on PSN then it might just have a chance. Will they ever learn. Anyhow, still a pretty good month for Sony overall.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Zophar said:
The racing community probably already knew Forza 3 was going to be worth it. They would have frontloaded it significantly because it was hyped to hell as the "definitive" racer and GT killer. No amount of word-of-mouth is going to make it do even 1/4 of what GT5 will do. Mark my words, it will not chart in November.
Since the November cut off is usually closer to 400k+, this would hardly be surprising.

Forza 3 currently has 650,000 players on its leaderboards, so it probably must already have sold more than a million worldwide. It remains to be seen, however, if it ever will reach the numbers of Forza 2, which had 2.7 million players on its leaderboards in the end.

shesha said:
"Forza 3 came out on October 27, 2009, it didn't have a lot of sales time."

You guys are being way to hard on Forza 3. It seems like you think the numbers are after 30 days on the shelf???? I don't get it.

Console exclusive game. See: Killzone, LBP for inverse phenomena.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
kaching said:
So what's it gonna take to get you into a new IG game?
I own every Insomniac game since Going Commando (minus Deadlocked and the new Ratchet, I have not purchased it yet), so not much. Say what you want, but I want them to kill it with fire.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
One of you is wrong.

They are actually both right. FM2 charted higher in it's second month with less sales. Unless Oldjadedgamer was talking about sales and not chart position.

Speevy said:
I don't think hardcore driving nuts comprise such a high percentage of gaming's console userbases anymore.

I think we'll be ultimately disappointed in Forza AND GT's numbers before it's all said and done.

I am really interested in how GT's going to perform. It will be a big seller, no doubt, but I'm starting to question how it will stack up against past installments of the series in the US after system install bases and whatnot are figured in.

OldJadedGamer said:
inFamous posted a higher second month than it's first month of release.

True, but UC2 had 13 more days to sell in it's month. Infamous debuted on the 26th.

imtehman

Banned
shesha said:

You guys are being way to hard on Forza 3. It seems like you think the numbers are after 30 days on the shelf???? I don't get it.

you would get it if you've been to the GT5 vs. forza 3 thread

FORZA MOTORSPORT 3 (360; Oct-09) 175,000

mower.jpg

DogWelder

Everything looks like shit to me, except the Wii, which I was unaware had a price drop. Kinda surprised at Borderlands as well.

After seeing Uncharted 2 do 537k first month I wonder how much God of War III will do...surely more than Uncharted 2? GoW2 did ~800k first month if I remember correctly. That seems to be the next #1 PS3 game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
witness said:
Brutal Legend bomba, really too bad for Tim. I hate when big games release at the end of the month cause its NPD's are all screwed up as we have to wait an extra month to see how it really does. I wouldn't call Forza 3 a bomba or Ratchet and Clank, if they don't chart in november then yeah thats really unfortunate for them.

Why does it matter if we or Forza chart in November? We'll have PS3 and 360 MW2, PS3 and 360 AC2, and 360 L4D2 taking five of the possible spots. Throw in New Mario, a Wii Fit, and there will be very little room on the chart for games that don't have their first week of sales. Plus games with Black Friday deals can throw everything into disarray.

Y2Kev said:
Dear Insomniac,

Please stop making Ratchet games.

Relax. 5 days of sales

Ratchet games are long burners... not chart toppers. See Boom Blox and other family-friendly fare.

Tiktaalik said:
I'm trying to think of everything that came out this month. What are the bombas?
Not all bombs, just listing notable games outside of the top 10

Week of (9/27 - 10/3)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Dead Space Extraction

Week of (10/4 - 10/10)
Demon's Souls
NBA Live 10
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Week of (10/11 - 10/17)
Brutal Legend (some numbers already out)
Magna Carta 2
A Boy and His Blob
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
Half Minute Hero

Week of (10/18 - 10/24)
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars PSP
Space Invaders Extreme 2

Week of (10/25 - 10/31)
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time
DJ Hero
Tekken 6
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Drawn To Life: The Next Chapter

Zophar said:
The racing community probably already knew Forza 3 was going to be worth it. They would have frontloaded it significantly because it was hyped to hell as the "definitive" racer and GT killer. No amount of word-of-mouth is going to make it do even 1/4 of what GT5 will do. Mark my words, it will not chart in November.

It probably won't, but the cutoff is going to be massive next month at a possible 300K minimum. I don't think you can doubt that it would have sold 300K+ if it had a full 30 days of sales?

right?

jamesinclair said:
Poor PSP. I guess PSPGo is a total fail?
Not really. Sony stated that the PSP Go was going to be their premium device, kind of like how they originally positioned the PS3. When you are going a premium route with higher pricetag and such, oh course you won't get big sales.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
vicissitudes said:
After seeing Uncharted 2 do 537k first month I wonder how much God of War III will do...surely more than Uncharted 2? GoW2 did ~800k first month if I remember correctly. That seems to be the next #1 PS3 game.
Depends what it launches up against really.
I think most months this year, Uncharted 2 wouldn't have been number 1.

zero2000

Banned
shesha said:

I think people are just used to seeing "Oh xxx only had 3 days of sales, it will do better next month!", and after a year of constantly hearing that and it almost NEVER actually happening, people just refuse to believe it anymore.

jstevenson said:
Relax. 5 days of sales

Ratchet games are long burners... not chart toppers. See Boom Blox and other family-friendly fare.

I might be wrong, but I don't think Kev's talking about sales.

gkryhewy

esc said:
Everything looks like shit to me, except the Wii, which I was unaware had a price drop. Kinda surprised at Borderlands as well.

That's because everything else IS shit. Everything else had declines from September! Sorry to repeat, but I remain shocked at this.

Zophar

JosM88 said:
It probably won't, but the cutoff is going to be massive next month at a possible 300K minimum. I don't think you can doubt that it would have sold 300K+ if it had a full 30 days of sales?

right?
Hard to say really, we'll know next month. I like to succeed because I like Forza and I like Turn 10, but I'm being realistic. Even if it does another 300k next month that's pretty disappointing, this was MS's biggest exclusive this year that was a legitimately complete game.

harSon

Banned
Zophar said:

Forza 2 didn't exactly sneak under the radar and it still managed to nearly match its previous month's numbers, and it did so in June/July. Forza 3 will have numbers superior to this month's performance, carry over from a small sales window and the holiday season will ensure it.

Tiktaalik

lordoftherink said:
Not all bombs, just listing notable games outside of the top 10
Week of (9/27 - 10/3)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Dead Space Extraction

Week of (10/4 - 10/10)
Demon's Souls
NBA Live 10
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Week of (10/11 - 10/17)
Brutal Legend (some numbers already out)
Magna Carta 2
A Boy and His Blob
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
Half Minute Hero

Week of (10/18 - 10/24)
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars PSP
Space Invaders Extreme 2

Week of (10/25 - 10/31)
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time
DJ Hero
Tekken 6
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Drawn To Life: The Next Chapter

I'd say that Mario and Sonic was a bomb, except that I expect that to be more of a Xmas seller, and it'll get a bump during the Olympics.

I'm curious about how Boy and his Blob did.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
BoilersFan23 said:
Not really. Sony stated that the PSP Go was going to be their premium device, kind of like how they originally positioned the PS3. When you are going a premium route with higher pricetag and such, oh course you won't get big sales.
Please, tell us more.

Jocchan said:
Don't be a tool, please.
The problem is not the chalkboard meme, it's doing it right: it's supposed to mock the fanboys and their beliefs.
If the PS3 one is about the various "saviors" fanboys have been clamoring for, a 360 one might have been, say, about the different hardware revisions that were supposed to get rid of the RROD. A Wii one might have been about a hardcore title having success. And so on.
The chalkboard in the first page is simply a trollish attempt at console wars that screams "I'm tired of my beloved console being attacked, eat this you dumb fanboys! And this! And this! And also this, I'm feeling generous tonight!".

LOL @ all the butthurt replies

Not once did I hear about Haze or Lair being a 'PS3 savior'. The PS3 chalkboard was just typical fanboy trolling on GAF.

360 fanboys just got a taste of their own medicine the past few months. They can hope and pray that November will turn the tide around, but even if it evens out in November (or 360 gets a lead), it will only be temporary unless Microsoft continues to pull the $99 Arcade card.

Japan is kicking into high gear, sales wise, amounting to ~120-160k lead over the 360 in that region alone (will be much greater in December when FFXIII releases), in the US the PS3 has a lead of ~70k this month. Wish we had some concrete European numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the PS3 outsold the 360 by over 250k in that region. Overall you're probably looking at half a million more PS3s sold than 360s worldwide in the month of October alone. The best 360 can hope for this holiday season is that it'll beat the PS3 in sales in North America for November and December, but unlike years past if the 360 wins it won't be by a whole lot. PS3 keeping pace with 360 in US = 360 getting crushed worldwide.

PS3 will be catching up incredibly fast to the 360's lead. Unless NATAL saves the 360, there's nothing to really stop the increasing YoY declined for the platform.

Uhtred

Its like that one guy said, I see over 600,000 people on the leader boards in FORZA, so all the "Yikes" and "Bomba" and exploding Gif's dont make sense to me. Forza did not bomb.

Saiyar said:
They are actually both right. FM2 charted higher in it's second month with less sales. Unless Oldjadedgamer was talking about sales and not chart position.

I'm too lazy to dig up the numbers and I've been playing MW2 since 8am this morning and my brain is fried. I looked them up a while ago in an unrelated thread and was pretty positive on the numbers since I was surprised by them when I first stumbled on them. I'll leave it to a severe brain fart on my part unless I want to look it up.

Jonsoncao said:
GTA Episode from liberty city bomba'd too, not that anyone cares

Download numbers aren't counted.

Zophar

harSon said:
Forza 2 didn't exactly sneak under the radar and it still managed to nearly match its previous month's numbers, and it did so in June/July. Forza 3 will have numbers superior to this month's performance, carry over from a small sales window and the holiday season will ensure it.

So where does that take it then? 700k in the US by the end of the year?

Nheco

:enemyglider: said:

Not once did I hear about Haze or Lair being a 'PS3 savior'. The PS3 chalkboard was just typical fanboy trolling on GAF.

360 fanboys just got a taste of their own medicine the past few months. They can hope and pray that November will turn the tide around, but even if it evens out in November (or 360 gets a lead), it will only be temporary unless Microsoft continues to pull the $99 Arcade card.

Japan is kicking into high gear, sales wise, amounting to ~120-160k lead over the 360 in that region alone, in the US the PS3 has a lead of ~70k this month. Wish we had some concrete European numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the PS3 outsold the 360 by over 250k in that region. Overall you're probably looking at half a million more PS3s sold than 360s worldwide in the month of October alone. The best 360 can hope for this holiday season is that it'll beat the PS3 in sales in North America for November and December, but unlike years past if the 360 wins it won't be by a whole lot. PS3 keeping pace with 360 in US = 360 getting crushed worldwide.

PS3 will be catching up incredibly fast to the 360's lead. Unless NATAL saves the 360, there's nothing to really stop the increasing YoY declined for the platform.

Man, I'm your truly fan. Keep with the good work...

Technoob

Banned
:enemyglider: said:

Japan is kicking into high gear, sales wise, amounting to ~120-160k lead over the 360 in that region alone (will be much greater in December when FFXIII releases), in the US the PS3 has a lead of ~70k this month. Wish we had some concrete European numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the PS3 outsold the 360 by over 250k in that region. Overall you're probably looking at half a million more PS3s sold than 360s worldwide in the month of October alone. The best 360 can hope for this holiday season is that it'll beat the PS3 in sales in North America for November and December, but unlike years past if the 360 wins it won't be by a whole lot. PS3 keeping pace with 360 in US = 360 getting crushed worldwide.

Amazing post that goes along with your total misfire of a hilariously pathetic joke attempt. As the guy who quoted you said, you don't even get why the joke might be funny, and therefore absolutely failed hilariously to mock it correctly.

Then followed up with fanboy drivel when everyone laughed at you.

Well played

:lol :lol :lol

EazyB

Banned
Really glad Uncharted was a hit. ND deserves this.

Bummer about Forza 3 but hopefully its November numbers will be alright considering it came out so late in October.

360 sales seem to be pretty shitty considering last year's numbers.

Top Bottom