• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Nheco

The-Warning said:
Suddenly chalkboard humor is no longer en vogue? Although that one was a bit mean, seems some people are being a bit hypocritical here. That Sony chalkboard was posted ad nauseam, long past when it was still funny.

That chalkboard makes some sense. This 360 chalkboard doesn't.

Jocchan said:
The problem is people having emotional attachment towards any system. It's immature, if not downright creepy. Every system has its flaws, be them real or perceived thanks to the media and forum posters, and there's nothing wrong with making fun of them and have a laugh. Hell, I make fun of everything CONSTANTLY, even my most beloved franchises.
We're talking about freaking videogames, not exactly the most serious business around. Why so serious, GAF?

Huh? Who's mad/up in arms?
OHDAMNLOL.gif

gbovo

Y2Kev said:
Sometimes I sit at my desk thinking, "I want to play a game, but I don't want to get the case out of my bookcase and then replace them and wait for it to boot up again and then install it and all that."

I really like handheld gaming for that, and I almost always opt for DD when I can because it's right there.

I really wish we'd have consoles with disk changers like you can buy a CD player. The PS3 was big enough to have a 3-Blu-Ray belly. I would have loved that.
I made a thread about that a year ago and got laughed at. I would pay $100 for an external disc changer for my console.

Zophar said:
Hard to say really, we'll know next month. I like to succeed because I like Forza and I like Turn 10, but I'm being realistic. Even if it does another 300k next month that's pretty disappointing, this was MS's biggest exclusive this year that was a legitimately complete game.

As Harson just said...

I think Forza will be just fine. It seems like you are panicking over this a bit even though Forza looks like it will actually have a stronger opening than it's predescessor(FIVE DAYS REMEMBER).

We will see.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wonder if the financial guys who know nothing about the game industry and used last month's NPD as proof that Nintendo was doomed will change their tune this month. :lol

V_Ben

Banned
Yoboman said:
I wonder if November's ban effect will help 360 or PS3 more on the charts

kinda wondering that myself. part of me wonders if people annoyed that their 360's were banned moved over to ps3. but i really don't know what will happen.

Averon

The increased PS3 sales is great and all, but is anyone else a a little concerned that the number of PS3 games in the top 10 is still so small? PS3 needs all the software sales it can get.

[Nintex]

gbovo said:
I made a thread about that a year ago and got laughed at. I would pay $100 for an external disc changer for my console.
SEGA had that plan back in the Saturn days, I'll make fun of any company that's going to copy SEGA's Saturn era ideas.

Snipes424

BigNastyCurve said:
lol fanboys. It's a little quick to be calling this a turnaround, isn't it?

Don't you think it was a little quick for people saying that the PS3 was a sinking ship and has no hope and is doomed?

It's really pathetic on both sides

V_Ben said:
kinda wondering that myself. part of me wonders if people annoyed that their 360's were banned moved over to ps3. but i really don't know what will happen.

Angry pirates buy a system they can't steal games for?

DMeisterJ

Banned
jaypah said:
:lol wow!

that's as far as i could get in the thread but damn..... talk about praying for failure. some of y'all are fucking pathetic, lol.

anyway, good job on Sonys part. nice hardware numbers and Uncharted 2 deserves all the sales in the world. unless New Super Mario Bros Wii pulls out a last minute victory U2 is my game of the year EASY.

no rhythm games?

How was that praying for failure? I'm not particularly concerned either way about whether it sells 1 million units or 1 thousand, just that with all of the 'definitive' shit at E3, 175k is low, regardless of how many days it had on the market. Games have sold higher with less.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Snipes424 said:
Don't you think it was a little quick for people saying that the PS3 was a sinking ship and has no hope and is doomed?

Its been in last place for almost 3 freaking years. What do you expect most people to say?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
JosM88 said:
As Harson just said...

I think Forza will be just fine. It seems like you are panicking over this a bit even though Forza looks like it will actually have a stronger opening than it's predescessor(FIVE DAYS REMEMBER).

We will see.
Not 100% sure, but Forza 2 also launched very late in the month.

Not to mention the massive userbase difference between March 07 and now.
I think it's starting to show that most 360 owners just don't care about racing games (in the US).

edit: If Wiki is to be trusted, it launched May 29th. But we don't know what the NPD reporting period was that month.

I hate Forza, though have part 1 and 2 because of gift bundles, but I know part 3 will do well over the long term. Why i have no idea

Opiate

gofreak said:
Good for UC2.

Surprising 360 number. That's 100k or more shy of any previous October its had. What's up with that? 100k off from last month too for no apparent reason (?)

It's a very apparent reason to me: PS3's gains are the 360's losses (and vice versa). The only month in recent memory where sales of one weren't obviously depressing the sales of the other was last month. Last month had a (Very recently) launched Halo game and a 360 SKU shuffle, along with a PS3 price drop.

harSon said:
Forza 2 didn't exactly sneak under the radar and it still managed to nearly match its previous month's numbers, and it did so in June/July. Forza 3 will have numbers superior to this month's performance, carry over from a small sales window and the holiday season will ensure it.

Forza 2 was bundled the hell out of (as one GAF member mentioned)...don't forget that.

jaypah

depward said:
This thread isn't very fun.

bullshit, it's down right hilarious! fanatics smell blood in the water and with a taste of victory they blow their whole load. this NPD exists in a vacuum....of fanboy hijinks! i thought the Forza hate from earlier in the thread was awesome but :enemyglider:: and his detractors are pure gold. GAF is interesting again. the only bad side is that it'll spill over into threads that could easily do without the fanboy warrior shit.

DMeisterJ said:
How was that praying for failure? I'm not particularly concerned either way about whether it sells 1 million units or 1 thousand, just that with all of the 'definitive' shit at E3, 175k is low, regardless of how many days it had on the market. Games have sold higher with less.

that part wasn't even about you in particular but reading your response and the way you basically say that you "had to put them in their place for their E3 shenanigans, and definiblah blah blah RAGE" it might as well have been.

games. let us all get serious about them.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Jocchan said:
The problem is people having emotional attachment towards any system. It's immature, if not downright creepy.

What I don't get is why people can't understand why others may like or prefer a particular piece of hardware over another, I really like the PS3 from an architectural standpoint, (not the company behind it), is that really so bad ?, why do have to be forced into liking each system equally ?, I prefer the PS3 over the 360 and probably always will, I shouldn't have to feel bad about that tbh, like I shouldn't have to feel bad about preferring a certain model of sports car over another.

zero2000 said:
I think people are just used to seeing "Oh xxx only had 3 days of sales, it will do better next month!", and after a year of constantly hearing that and it almost NEVER actually happening, people just refuse to believe it anymore.
indeed.

people say it EVERY TIME, and in the past few years, it's only happened for a select few Wii games and Infamous

V_Ben

Banned
Basileus777 said:

wouldn't said pirates not want to pirate anymore, considering that they got banned on their previous system for, y'know, pirating? just my 2 cents.

edit: read this through, and yeah, they totally would just get a new arcade and re-use their old hard drives.

[Nintex]

schuelma said:
Its been in last place for almost 3 freaking years. What do you expect most people to say?
"Well, ya know it's doing allright, slow and steady wins the race and all even when it costs about 2 billion and counting to get there."

Paracelsus

Basileus777 said:

"You force me to buy another system and actually buy games? I will, but I won't get the system you expect me to! :mad:"

...nah, it's just too convenient to get another 360 and mod it again, in the end it's just the cost of three-four games every time you do it.

Zoz said:
That chalkboard makes some sense. This 360 chalkboard doesn't.

The Sony one didn't really make sense though because after awhile nobody really said "this or that game is going to save the PS3."

And you're right the 360 one doesn't make sense because it has a very good chance of being back ahead of the PS3 next month. I guess the guy went overboard with it from pent up anger at seeing that effin Sony chalk a million times :lol

TunaLover

schuelma said:
I wonder if the financial guys who know nothing about the game industry and used last month's NPD as proof that Nintendo was doomed will change their tune this month. :lol

but it's doomed in their hearts

Road

in third place with 418,000 units was the 360 edition of Borderlands, the all-new action-role-playing game IP from 2K Games and Gearbox software. However, when the game's 113,000 PS3 units and 15,000 PC units are included, the game's sales total 546,000 units--enough to barely top Uncharted 2's haul.

BORDERLANDS (PS3) 113,000
BORDERLANDS (PC) 15,000

BORDERLANDS (360) 418,000

Across all categories, the Xbox 360 platform contributed the greatest portion of total industry sales, representing 27 percent of total industry sales for the month," said Frazier, referring to sales of hardware, software, and accessories for each console. "The PS3 was a close second at 26 percent, an 8 point improvement over last October."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6239837.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
DaveTheSnake said:
Forza 2 was bundled the hell out of (as one GAF member mentioned)...don't forget that.
As was Forza 1.

And GT2/3/4/5P. (never saw GT1 bundled.. but I was pretty young lol)

And PGR1/2/3/4.

First party racing games are always bundled.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Jocchan said:
The problem is people having emotional attachment towards any system. It's immature, if not downright creepy. Every system has its flaws, be them real or perceived thanks to the media and forum posters, and there's nothing wrong with making fun of them and have a laugh. Hell, I make fun of everything CONSTANTLY, even my most beloved franchises.
We're talking about freaking videogames, not exactly the most serious business around. Why so serious, GAF?

Honestly, I don't think it's the ones who have a meltdown over it are the worse. It's the ones who go into each sales thread every time they are put up to praise X exclusives and how they are selling, point out how the other system isn't doing as good, or curse how X exclusive is doing poorly. Never really blow up over it, but keep slowly pushing it into a system wank contest.

Big shock for Borderlands, allot more than expected. And a massive difference between the 360 version and PC/PS3.

BoilersFan23 said:
Not really. Sony stated that the PSP Go was going to be their premium device, kind of like how they originally positioned the PS3. When you are going a premium route with higher pricetag and such, oh course you won't get big sales.

...Well, given how well the strategy worked out for the PS3, I think we're allowed to be pessimistic about the GO as well.

Also, the X360 chalkboard simply doesn't make any sense - the idea is that there is a chronic problem with the system and that fanboys will always claim that the next game/hardware iteration/whattheheckever will fix it. Hence the PS3's chalkboard is about how the next big game will cause sales to fly.

The X360 does not have the same issue - if you wanted to make a joke it would have to use the RROD problem (although... has that been relevant recently? I dunno, I don't keep up with X360 news). For the Wii it would be the next 'test' would convince 3rd parties to throw their weight behind it, for the PSP it would be that the next big game would turn the anemic sales around.

Just listing talking points at random gives you nothing.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
schuelma said:
Have analysts EVER, EVER been right about something that may be any sort of a risky statement?

I've only really paid attention to them this gen, but I have never seen them be right on any sort of prediction that wasn't completely obvious.

markatisu

UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES (PS3; Oct-09) 537,000

Awesome much deserved and a GREAT improvement over the originals 1st month US sales

KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS (NDS; Sep-09) 169,000

Sweet, its doing much better than I would have imagined. I am sure Square is plenty happy with the last two months performance.

The price cut really helped the Wii in the US and the EU, its like the polar opposite of Japan

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The-Warning said:
The Sony one didn't really make sense though because after awhile nobody really said "this or that game is going to save the PS3."

And you're right the 360 one doesn't make sense because it has a very good chance of being back ahead of the PS3 next month. I guess the guy went overboard with it from pent up anger at seeing that effin Sony chalk a million times :lol
Believe me, some people were so insane that they kept insisting game X was going to save the console, and they're not much different from those guys saying the same for the "hardcore" game Y on the Wii that's supposedly going to convince third parties to release heaps of worthwhile games for the console.

shintoki said:
Honestly, I don't think it's the ones who have a meltdown over it are the worse. It's the ones who go into each sales thread every time they are put up to praise X exclusives and how they are selling, point out how the other system isn't doing as good, or curse how X exclusive is doing poorly. Never really blow up over it, but keep slowly pushing it into a system wank content.
This is also true.

user_nat said:
Not 100% sure, but Forza 2 also launched very late in the month.

Not to mention the massive userbase difference between March 07 and now.
I think it's starting to show that most 360 owners just don't care about racing games (in the US).

That would be a surprising development, but I'd say it's too early to call that one. We will have a better picture by January.

Edit:

Anyone asking for MS to give in is seriously not looking at the numbers. The one thing MS has going for them is their steady growth. They're taking the safe road, and it's better than taking the an unpredictable shortcut.

GaussTek

:enemyglider: said:
LOL @ all the butthurt replies

Not once did I hear about Haze or Lair being a 'PS3 savior'. The PS3 chalkboard was just typical fanboy trolling on GAF.

360 fanboys just got a taste of their own medicine the past few months. They can hope and pray that November will turn the tide around, but even if it evens out in November (or 360 gets a lead), it will only be temporary unless Microsoft continues to pull the $99 Arcade card.

Japan is kicking into high gear, sales wise, amounting to ~120-160k lead over the 360 in that region alone (will be much greater in December when FFXIII releases), in the US the PS3 has a lead of ~70k this month. Wish we had some concrete European numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the PS3 outsold the 360 by over 250k in that region. Overall you're probably looking at half a million more PS3s sold than 360s worldwide in the month of October alone. The best 360 can hope for this holiday season is that it'll beat the PS3 in sales in North America for November and December, but unlike years past if the 360 wins it won't be by a whole lot. PS3 keeping pace with 360 in US = 360 getting crushed worldwide.

PS3 will be catching up incredibly fast to the 360's lead. Unless NATAL saves the 360, there's nothing to really stop the increasing YoY declined for the platform.

245blzq.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Nice to see the two week sales of UC2 being that much higher than the first game.

For those who ask why it didn't sell more - a game like this just won't sell a million in a first month. The fact that it was reviewed so well can only help so much for a game that in its nature won't appeal to real slim shadys, little gangstas and fratboys of the world (see also Bioshock).

Besides, the game is probably at around 1.5M worldwide, which is so much more than the first one did for the same time, that I can't see ND being anything but excited about this.

Grecco

elrechazao said:
Wow at the ps3 sales. That's not the regular ps3/360 sales ratio for multiplats. 4 to 1? As someone said, that seems to be directly related to the 360's social aspect. All of my friends are playing it, buy! etc.

And launching it the same month as Uncharted 2.

Giolon

You know what's awesome? Owning all three consoles so you don't have to care about all this assinine "my console's better than yours" bullshit and asshattery. STFU about what console is better and just enjoy the great games. Funny graphics are funny. Don't get butthurt over it.

Ulairi

Banned
TunaLover said:
Submit defeat Nintendo

I cannot wait for 4 Guys 1up for David Ellis to tell us that the toy fad is over, it's been 3 years and that's about as long as a fad last. The Wii is done, it is down yoy!!!

Top Bottom