• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
kaching said:
Cuz, with an attitude like that, Kev would most certainly jump right on whatever else you make...do it for the Kevster, he clearly likes your work.
I said please.

Barrett2

witness said:
Brutal Legend bomba, really too bad for Tim. I hate when big games release at the end of the month cause its NPD's are all screwed up as we have to wait an extra month to see how it really does. I wouldn't call Forza 3 a bomba or Ratchet and Clank, if they don't chart in november then yeah thats really unfortunate for them.

My understanding was that BL didn't have too high of a budget, and hence didn't need to sell a lot to be profitable?

Anyone know about its budget?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
elrechazao said:
Hot damn you're right, what was I thinking posting in a public thread on the forums. I should have never invaded this, your quiet little private place

:lol :lol

Post away dude but just don't talk to me, add me to your ignore list or something please.

imtehman

Banned
Zophar said:
You got me, it'll magically sell a million copies in November and steal Call of Duty, L4D2 and AC2's thunder. Can't put anything past you guys!

u ever considered people bought games from nov. 1 - nov 9th?

UC2 is lower than i expected. Borderlands smh. Not surprised an FPS would top the charts for the 360.

Someone get demon souls sales asap

lawblob said:
My understanding was that BL didn't have too high of a budget, and hence didn't need to sell a lot to be profitable?

Didn't it have over 100 licensed songs, multiple big name voice actors, and so on? That's not a recipe for cheap.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gerg said:
It's what happens when two competitors vie for the exact same market. As I said earlier in the thread, the difference between the PS3/360's sales last year and this year is roughly 10k units. Perhaps it's too early to tell, but it seems that the PS3's price cut isn't doing anything to expand the audience of people willing to buy either a PS3 or a 360, but merely stealing thunder from the 360's sales.

I highly doubt a price cut and a new case for PS3 have affected 360's desireability THAT badly, THAT quickly in NA. At all.

I think something else might be at play here that we're missing.

It is interesting to note the challenge MS has to keep Nov sales level with last year, though. They'll have to more than triple their Oct sales this year to stay flat with last Nov, whereas last year they achieved a little more than double Oct sales. It'll be interesting to see if they can do that, I would expect that they SHOULD be at least able to hold flat in what ought to be a system's prime.

worldrevolution said:
Don't see why everyone's happy about the Uncharted 2 sales..they're OK..but will PS3 ever have a million seller out the gate like 360 does all the time? Look at how Borderlands did. Not that far behind Uncharted and I'm sure we'd all agree Uncharted is the bigger release. And if you add in the PS3 sales of Borderlands it probably tied or beat all of Uncharted 2 (in America at least)..

GTA IV had a million units out on the PS3 in its first month. MW2 is going to be insane in sales.

gerg

vicissitudes said:
Platform 2009 2008 YOY

PlayStation 2 117.8K 136k -13.2%
PlayStation 3 320.6K 190k +68.9%
PSP 174.6K 193k -9.3%
Xbox 360 249.7K 371k -32.6%
Wii 506.9K 803k -36.9%
Nintendo DS 457.6K 491k -6.7%

Recession confirmed?

No?

The DS's downturn in sales doesn't seem very remarkable; the Wii's sales have gone up month-on-month (after a significant decrease in consumer interest), and it is likely to perform better than it did last year in the coming two months; the PSP is failing as general, and the PS2 is dying out slowly but surely. The 360's decrease in sales is probably the most significant change this year, and that can be accounted for by the PS3's increase in sales.

gofreak said:
I highly doubt a price cut and a new case for PS3 have affected 360's desireability THAT badly, THAT quickly in NA. At all.

I think something else might be at play here that we're missing.

Sure. Would be good to know what this is, is all. :lol

I just think that the consoles really are very similar.

gkryhewy

Poor hardware numbers for everything but Wii & DS. Nice software numbers for Uncharted, WF+, and Borderlands....

A little shaky overall.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
lawblob said:

Doublefine licensed over 100 tracks, had a fairly large marketing campaign and got Jack Black, Lita Ford, Ozzy, Lemmy and Rob Halford to do voicework. It must have cost a pretty penny.

Zophar

lawblob said:

The budget had to be fairly sizeable, with all the voice talent and licensed music they got for it. IIRC there were more songs in BL than there are in most of the Hero games.

Bernbaum

I always thought the future of revenue-making in the music game industry was in DLC. Less plastic peripherals and more online content would be the right decision.

lowrider007 said:
Post away dude but just don't talk to me, add me to your ignore list or something please.

Thanks for the guidelines. Any other things I need your permission for?

Your tears are delicious though :)

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Apoc29 said:
2wd95wg.jpg

awesome

itxaka

Defeatist
vicissitudes said:
Platform 2009 2008 YOY

PlayStation 2 117.8K 136k -13.2%
PlayStation 3 320.6K 190k +68.9%
PSP 174.6K 193k -9.3%
Xbox 360 249.7K 371k -32.6%
Wii 506.9K 803k -36.9%
Nintendo DS 457.6K 491k -6.7%

Recession confirmed?

Ps3+360 2008 = 561k
Ps3+360 2009 = 570k

So the HD twins just sell basically the same but it changed the weigth of the sales from one console to another. The market doesn't seem to grow a lot between both.

Tiktaalik

I'm curious about Demon Souls but at the same time I feel like they undershipped the title so it sort of doesn't matter. It was completely sold out in my town and I know there was/is pent up demand.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
For November, Microsoft is going to sweeten the Xbox pot for retailers by subsidizing $50 or $100 gift cards and by December, I expect to see another 360 2-game bundle with some black friday $50 gift cards.

November will be a close one folks...

Zophar said:
You got me, it'll magically sell a million copies in November and steal Call of Duty, L4D2 and AC2's thunder. Can't put anything past you guys!

Racing game communities tend to influence best by word of mouth. I know of five or six people myself who are planning their own purchase. I guess MS had unrealistic expectations if they planned to pass five million or something like that...

;)

imtehman

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Congrats to GOTy Uncharted 2
Lol at that ODST drop
I hate that 500k+ got ripped off by 2K for NBA

Poor Brutal Legend actually no but that game was atriciously bad

u know ODST will sell almost the same amount in the U.S. as UC2 does worldwide lifetime to date? There's nothing to LOL about.

Why For?

Banned
chubigans said:
Borderlands is a classic case of the Xbox Live community doin' it's thing. The marketing for BL resulted in the PS3 sales, where the XBL community dug the online MMO vibes, told their XBL friends, spread it like wildfire, and sold a tremendous amount. I don't think any other online community can sell games like XBL can.

So true.

As to Forza, I truly believe that Forza and GT live or die by their graphics. Because to be honest, I've never liked either of them. Because they play pretty much the same.

I bought Forza 1, skipped 2 and will most likely skip 3. I'm buying GT5 just to look at it.

If Turn 10 put more effort into the graphics, I honestly believe the series would sell better.

It's amazing how little difference there is between Forza 2 and 3 visually.

Looks like there'll be no Forza 4 then.

gkryhewy

WOW, the Wii was the ONLY console to not have September-->October month on month declines. This is bad, and not at all typical.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
DevelopmentArrested said:
Congrats to GOTy Uncharted 2
Lol at that ODST drop
I hate that 500k+ got ripped off by 2K for NBA

Poor Brutal Legend actually no but that game was atriciously bad
Wouldn't really Lol ODST and praise Uncharted in the same post..

Considering ODSTs openning.

harSon

Banned
For those that care, Forza 2 sold 217,000 units its opening month (I'm not sure what the period covered) and a 197,400 units the following month.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Forza 3 -__-

That's probably right there why Turn10 will never be allowed a budget as high as Poliphony's.

Also, can't wait for all the sites out there clamoring PSP Chinatown Wars BOMBA like they did with the DS in the first place... which I guess will be a grand total of maybe zero.

open_mouth_ said:
For November, Microsoft is going to sweeten the Xbox pot for retailers by subsidizing $50 or $100 gift cards and by December, I expect to see another 360 2-game bundle with some black friday $50 gift cards.

November will be a close one folks...

I dunno, Sony is coming hard, and clearly effectively so, with the ps3 ads. Software sales might still be meh, but they are rocking it hard on the hardware and have a good groove going, and as others have pointed out, the sales for the HD twins seem to be grabbing from the same pies. I thought ps3 relative to 360 would even out more in favor of the 360 last month, but I was clearly and utterly wrong.

VideoMan said:
We need the full numbers for Wii Fit Plus including the ones that were bundled with the balance board. It's possible Wii Fit was actually #1.

Nintendo's press release will probably have them.

Would be epic.

Nheco

Also, I'm very happy with these Borderlands sales. It's shows that still exists room for new IPs, if they are good enough.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
itxaka said:
Ps3+360 2008 = 561k
Ps3+360 2009 = 570k

So the HD twins just sell basically the same but it changed the weigth of the sales from one console to another. The market doesn't seem to grow a lot between both.

Not really. The PS3 is still getting a boost from it's price cut.

It's not like the PS3 has just taken the 360's sales or something.. it is a lot of pent up PS3 demand that his the sweet spot in price.

The economy is hurting system sales overall. Without the 3 price drops (well, 2 and a half since 360 didn't really "drop" in price) the sales would look really really bad.

Zophar

JosM88 said:
Racing game communities tend to influence best by word of mouth. I know of five or six people myself who are planning their own purchase. I guess MS had unrealistic expectations if they planned to pass five million or something like that...

;)
The racing community probably already knew Forza 3 was going to be worth it. They would have frontloaded it significantly because it was hyped to hell as the "definitive" racer and GT killer. No amount of word-of-mouth is going to make it do even 1/4 of what GT5 will do. Mark my words, it will not chart in November.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Slurmer said:
:lol the chalkboard meme gets people riled up everytime, no matter the system.

Is there a Wii chalkboard?
Don't be a tool, please.
The problem is not the chalkboard meme, it's doing it right: it's supposed to mock the fanboys and their beliefs.
If the PS3 one is about the various "saviors" fanboys have been clamoring for, a 360 one might have been, say, about the different hardware revisions that were supposed to get rid of the RROD. A Wii one might have been about a hardcore title having success. And so on.
The chalkboard in the first page is simply a trollish attempt at console wars that screams "I'm tired of my beloved console being attacked, eat this you dumb fanboys! And this! And this! And also this, I'm feeling generous tonight!".

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OldJadedGamer said:
Forza 2 posted a higher second months NPD than it did the first month that it was released.
harSon said:
For those that care, Forza 2 sold 217,000 units its opening month (I'm not sure what the period covered) and a 197,400 units the following month.

One of you is wrong.

Uhtred

"Forza 3 came out on October 27, 2009, it didn't have a lot of sales time."

You guys are being way to hard on Forza 3. It seems like you think the numbers are after 30 days on the shelf???? I don't get it.

Top Bottom