• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
lowrider007 said:
Now your being silly, just because someone prefers a system over another it doesn't automatically mean they have 'real' emotions attached to it or would defend it over their GF with all their Honer, that's a stupid assumption and one that is only designed just to try a provoke people.

People can still be objective have an unbiased opinion will while preferring one console over another, I enjoy all systems also, but I 'prefer' one of them.
You can prefer one system thanks to its capabilities and its software catalogue. It's perfectly normal. What's not normal is defending it to death and parroting the same PR as its hardware manufacturer. That is borderline creepy.

imtehman

Banned
elrechazao said:
How does a game like batman sell the same on the systems? How do games like gears of war sell over a million on half the install base at the time that the ps3 has now? Why are the ratios on other games much better relative to each other?

Cmon man.

marketing? You throw in the amount of people who bought a ps3 just for a blu ray player, plus the people who own a x360 and just starting to own a ps3 then you can see why numbers would be lowered significantly

also the fact that Gears of War 1 Was the game to own that holiday season back in 2006 (only game to own?). UC2 is not, that belongs to MW2.

The Faceless Master said:
indeed.

people say it EVERY TIME, and in the past few years, it's only happened for a select few Wii games and Infamous
What about Kingdom Hearts this month? Last month it was only available for a few days and didn't chart; this month it did chart.

imtehman said:
marketing? You throw in the amount of people who bought a ps3 just for a blu ray player, plus the people who own a x360 and just starting to own a ps3 then you can see why numbers would be lowered significantly

so now it can in fact expect those sales, (contrary to what you said before), but only with marketing....k

lowrider007 said:
Now your being silly, just because someone prefers a system over another it doesn't automatically mean they have 'real' emotions attached to it

Uh..

lowrider007 said:
I own both systems but I still have a love affair with my PS3
312hguf.gif

I was just responding to what you already said. I'm not trying to argue.

lowrider007 said:
People can still be objective have an unbiased opinion will while preferring one console over another, I enjoy all systems also, but I 'prefer' one of them.

Certainly. I'm not saying you can't be objective. I'm just saying that how others respond to your posts on the board will be colored by an obvious system preference. It's the truth.

V_Ben said:
kinda wondering that myself. part of me wonders if people annoyed that their 360's were banned moved over to ps3. but i really don't know what will happen.

they are sleazy pirates. Why would they change to a system that requires them to actually BUY games instead of stealing them? They'll just buy another 360, mod it, and continue to steal games until they get banned again.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Phantast2k said:
But it's not like they've had a lot of alternatives at that time..

Halo 3 sold 3.3m first month on much less install base also.

CoD4 also sold over a million first month on less.

It's not impossible.

Heck didn't MGS4 nearly sell a million (including bundles)?

gbovo

user_nat said:
Not 100% sure, but Forza 2 also launched very late in the month.

Not to mention the massive userbase difference between March 07 and now.
I think it's starting to show that most 360 owners just don't care about racing games
(in the US).

edit: If Wiki is to be trusted, it launched May 29th. But we don't know what the NPD reporting period was that month.
The real reason is that there is A LOT more competition software-wise now, than there was in 2007. Forza 2 launched in May 2007, a traditionally slow period for game releases and when the 360 had barely any software competing with it. Forza 2 benefited from this and sold well in the next 2 months (June/July), which were also slow months for game releases. Forza 3 on the other hand launched when the busiest gaming season had started, and there is now much more software competition on the 360 than 2 years ago.

I also feel that it might not do as well in the following months after it's release because it'll be going up against the FPS king MW2, and L4D2 (and we all know how much 360 owners love fps's) as well as AC2 (whose predecessor sold more on 360 NA alone, than Forza 2 sold worldwide).

Forza 3's situation is basically a repeat of PGR4's situation.

commedieu

Banned
Phantast2k said:
But it's not like they've had a lot of alternatives at that time..

Or 24 hour CGI commercials running. ;-), I think its safe to say that kids will always be more interested in blowing up aliens, than tracking Marco Polo's lost treasure no? Either way, good numbers for Uncharted2, considering 2.5 million is all it took for 2 to be made, im sure we can expect to see a 3 with better quality than any unreal engine title can offer.

Boom.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
imtehman said:
The audiences can also be slightly different. And one should never forget the huge marketing push Xbox Live and PSN give to the games your friends are currently playing.
It's basically free viral marketing for the companies. Denying it is useless, it DOES work.

Jonsoncao

Banned
user_nat said:
Halo 3 sold 3.3m first month on much less install base also.

CoD4 also sold over a million first month on less.

It's not impossible.

Heck didn't MGS4 nearly sell a million (including bundles)?
CoD4 did 1.5m on 360 in its debut month IIRC

imtehman

Banned
Jocchan said:
The audiences can also be slightly different. And one should never forget the huge marketing push Xbox Live and PSN give to the games your friends are currently playing.
It's basically viral marketing. Denying it is useless, it DOES work.

agreed, when your friends list has nothing but gears of war and mw2 you feel obligated to get it too. I'm sure borderlands was also another example of this, to a lesser extent

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I was just responding to what you already said. I'm not trying to argue.

Come off it dude, when someone says that they 'love' a system it's not like they actually 'love' it in the real sense of the word now do they, well, I hope they don't lol, because that would actually be scary.

elrechazao said:
Who said it would break sales records, other than you retconning what everyone was saying about it? I'd say by releasing it, they expected it to sell well. Not decline in sales on its launch.

<sigh>

I've added you to my ignore list mate, sorry, it's very rare that I have do this but I've asked you kindly to ignore me but you refuse, I don't like you and don't really want to entertain anything that you post.

amtentori said:
it might be the worst launch numbers from a major console manufacturer in history.

has any new hardware or hardware revision done worse in the US?

and 174 is go! plus other psp skus....
on October...

Personally I see it as just an additional PSP (new sku) added to the the PSP line up rather than a major system release, if it was a PSP2 then I'd understand the concerns, I didn't really expect it to bump PSP numbers at all really, but just rather allow people that are already considering a PSP more choice.

adelante

LMAO someone's trying too hard with that chalkboard...Been saving that to post here eh?? :lol

Impressive numbers for Wii and PS3......360, not so much but next mth should definitely be interesting

Yes Boss!

Has and LTD for Wii Sports Resort been listed for North America yet? Curious about that one.

Also, nice to see the Uncharted franchise take off!

Forza can burn. Too much fanboy drama around that title. Loved the second but went nowhere near the third.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Good numbers for Uncharted and Borderlands. PSP... best thing I can say is I'm not surprised given how illogical a product the Go is.

Ouch @ Brutal Legend, Forza, and ODST drop.

Balb

PSP go might not have sold well but it's anything but a failure. It gave Sony an excuse to put lots of PSP games on the store, and it got lots of people to buy games they already own all over again.

As bad as the hardware and price are, it was a genius move on Sony's part.

Balb said:
PSP go might not have sold well but it's anything but a failure. It gave Sony an excuse to put lots of PSP games on the store, and it got lots of people to buy games they already own all over again.

As bad as the hardware and price is, it was a genius move on Sony's part.

Given how many PSPGOs Sony probably sold...yeah I don't know about that.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I think Brutal Legend did fine after all (I expected it to do worse). I expect it to reach 400k in the US when it's all said and done, and maybe a comparable figure (if not a bit higher) in Europe. It might still be a bit underwhelming for EA (I have no idea about their expectations, honestly), but I wouldn't call it a bomb.

Balb said:

As bad as the hardware and price is, it was a genius move on Sony's part.

The push to get more games on PSN is a good thing. Even though i own a PSP-3000 I only buy new games via DD. I think that the PSP-Go gives Sony a way to get the kinks out of their DD pipeline before moving forward with a PSP 2.

The PSP's general decline in US sales does make me think that we could possibly see the first info about the next PSP at TGS next year....

ZeoVGM

Banned
faridmon said:
whoa at Kingdom Heart DS.
I never thought it will do that huge numbers.

Holy crap. :eek:

Kingdom Hearts is one of the biggest "new" franchises from this decade, isn't it? Not a surprise at all, to be honest. The GBA one sold great.

Anyway, a lot of you people are just as bad as Patcher.

Froza was out for FIVE days. Obviously it's not going to do GT numbers (though I also doubt GT can do GT numbers anymore) but the number of people throwing around the hyperbolic OMG BOMBA stuff is ridiculous.

Didn't Forza 2 have long legs and become a 360 greatest hit? Chill out.

Brimstone said:
The PS3 is decimating the XB360.

Sony is just in the early stages of shock and awe. They are on the cusp of releasing next-gen LCD technology and that will be the next thing gamers clamor for. Remarkable turn around for the company.

:lol :lol :lol

Brimstone is a joke character, right? The only system close to decimating anyone else this entire gen was the Wii.

Digital-Hero said:
The PS3 beating of 360 is likely to continue. MS will be forced to drop the price again but it may not help.

DaveTheSnake said:
The 360 could be in trouble.

You say that as if PS3 is kicking 360's ass. It's beat it two months in a row and chances are that in November, things are going to be very close, if not 360 beating PS3 (barely) thanks to MW2 (it's very heavily leaning towards 360 in sales and it has definitely moved some new 360 units).

Even if that doesn't happen, you guys need to relax a little. PS3 has beat 360 for what, two months after PS3 became interesting to the public for the first time ever?

The chances of PS3's LTD beating 360's LTD are almost 0. And PS3 is not going to win EVERY month from here on out. The most likely outcome is that the two live together in healthy competition, something that will only benefit gamers in the long run, while they battle for second place.

QUOTE='[Nintex]']Woah, Forza bombed, MS should've pushed Perfect Dark 2 or something else from Rare instead.[/QUOTE]

They should have pushed a game that doesn't exist instead of a fantastic game that does?

What.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
creamsugar said:
PSP GTA CHINATOWN WARS = XXXX :lol
Yeah, if Assassin's Creed bombs, I think we can pretty much call it a day for the PSP in the West.

I can't imagine why any Western developer in their right mind would support it with sales like these.

Parl

creamsugar said:
So did the game underperform against expectations on DS because DS is for casualz or because the game isn't right? Maybe people confused their taste for the game and critics's taste for the game with commercial viability.

DMeisterJ

Banned
gbovo said:
Forza 3's situation is basically a repeat of PGR4's situation.

I believe that is true, but not for your reasoning, I believe that both games came out with no kind of marketing or advertising for the game. I mean, I seriously probably saw more Gran Turismo PSP commercials/adverts than Forza 3... The thing that makes me kind of makes me weird about the thing is how big it was talked up at E3 by MS to not get too much in the way of adverts... Was that intentional? Or did it just slip through the radar? It just seems very weird and perplexing to me

/conspiracy theory

I think that MS believed that GT5 was coming out this year, and wanted to go toe to toe with it, but once it came and gone without an announcement, they decided that it would not be any reason to keep trying to push the game to these lofty heights since it was really only competing with itself.

/conspiracy theory

Who knows... :/

creamsugar said:

Sheeeeeit

:lol :lol :lol

laserbeam

Banned
creamsugar said:

So the nearly 89k the DS version did in launch month doesnt look so bad afterall now.

I think GTA has just evolved too much to go back to the old style.

jaypah

Yes Boss! said:
Also, nice to see the Uncharted franchise take off!

Forza can burn. Too much fanboy drama around that title. Loved the second but went nowhere near the third.

but U2 has no drama? it's the new KZ2 :lol

i kind of feel you though. that VS. thread kind of put me off to both games but F3 looks awesome and i have to play GT5 so....what are ya gonna do, ya know?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DMeisterJ said:
I believe that is true, but not for your reasoning, I believe that both games came out with no kind of marketing or advertising for the game. I mean, I seriously probably saw more Gran Turismo PSP commercials/adverts than Forza 3... The thing that makes me kind of makes me weird about the thing is how big it was talked up at E3 by MS to not get too much in the way of adverts... Was that intentional? Or did it just slip through the radar? It just seems very weird and perplexing to me

/conspiracy theory

I think that MS believed that GT5 was coming out this year, and wanted to go toe to toe with it, but once it came and gone without an announcement, they decided that it would not be any reason to keep trying to push the game to these lofty heights since it was really only competing with itself.

/conspiracy theory

Who knows... :/
I think there just aren't that many racing sim fans that own Xbox 360s, especially in the U.S.

I mean, if I'm remembering the reverse engineered numbers right, Forza 3 sold better in the U.K. alone than in the U.S.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
lowrider007 said:
I can taste the bitterness...........

Course I'm bitter. I'm a PS3 owner. Will never, ever buy a 360. And I think it sucks US PS3 fans don't support a game like UC2 while 360 owners support random games like Borderlands.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Blu_LED said:
Yeah because I'm sure you know exactly how many times it was downloaded on the PSStore.
The same number of PSP Go people bought, of course.

creamsugar said:

Who wants to pay $40 for a port of a ds game?

That said, it has been the number 1 psp game on PSN all month. As more games are available online, true sales figures will be hard to discern from NPD reports alone.

Jocchan said:
The same number of PSP Go people bought, of course.

You do know that every PSP (roughly 17 million in the US) can purchase games from PSN right?

Zzoram

Jocchan said:
Don't be a tool, please.
The problem is not the chalkboard meme, it's doing it right: it's supposed to mock the fanboys and their beliefs.
If the PS3 one is about the various "saviors" fanboys have been clamoring for, a 360 one might have been, say, about the different hardware revisions that were supposed to get rid of the RROD. A Wii one might have been about a hardcore title having success. And so on.
The chalkboard in the first page is simply a trollish attempt at console wars that screams "I'm tired of my beloved console being attacked, eat this you dumb fanboys! And this! And this! And also this, I'm feeling generous tonight!".

This basically sums it up. IF that 360 chalkboard was about hardware revisions, it would've been funny, although an NPD thread isn't the right place for it. Maybe in the RRoD thread.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Blu_LED said:
You do realize that any PSP can download games from the Store, right?
It was a joke (it's a meme in Media Create threads).

Zzoram said:
This basically sums it up. IF that 360 chalkboard was about hardware revisions, it would've been funny, although an NPD thread isn't the right place for it. Maybe in the RRoD thread.
You can make plenty of jokes on every console, every single one has its fair share of flaws and funny sides, as long as they're meant to be actually funny and not made just to vent your RAGE!

ZeoVGM

Banned
So with my replies out of the way, console sales are pretty much what I expected, at least in terms of placement: Wii > PS3 > 360. But honestly, I thought both PS3 and 360 would sell more than they did.

I'm expecting Wii > 360 > PS3 in November, with 360 and PS3 being VERY close but 360 winning due to Modern Warfare 2. Everything I've seen around here has the game selling WAY more on PS3. The store I work at got in around 180 of each version. By the end of Wednesday, we had about 5 left for 360 and 110-120 left for PS3. We were all pretty shocked at the difference between the two.

Same thing at my local Walmart, with MW2 being sold out for 360 and quite a few copies of the PS3 version left. I've also noticed a push in Elites and Arcades, but not the PS3. And the Elite bundle has been popular.

I'm not trying to say for a fact that it's massively outselling the PS3 version all across the country. Just stating what's happening here and I wouldn't doubt it being like that other places. The marketing for the game has been very much "Modern Warfare 2 = Xbox 360" everywhere I've seen.

That's just what I think will happen next month. But I could be wrong obviously as we're less than a week into sales of the game.

laserbeam

Banned
outunderthestars said:
Who wants to pay $40 for a port of a ds game?

That said, it has been the number 1 psp game on PSN all month. As more games are available online, true sales figures will be hard to discern from NPD reports alone.

Not really that hard because hell PSP games rarely sell well enough for us to know anything from NPD anyways. Fact is the PSP is a total failure as a game machine. Grats to Sony for making a Multimedia device that sells well but as a gaming platform its piratebay

squicken

Uncharted 2 is a great game. But those sales seem low. What did the original Gears sell in 2006 and to what install base?

Balb

Also I'm glad that KH DS sold well. It's nice knowing that there are still a handful of games that can succeed despite the shooter/heavy action-happy gaming press never covering those kinds of games anymore.

lowrider007 said:
Come off it dude, when someone says that they 'love' a system it's not like they actually 'love' it in the real sense of the word now do they, well, I hope they don't lol, because that would actually be scary.

Well, I think there pretty much HAS to be some emotions involved whenever anyone feels the need to strongly defend something. Love, pride, etc. It's not the case for you but I really think it's apparent that some folks have the same emotional response when their platform is trashed as they would if someone posted about their girlfriend, school, or sports team. It IS scary!

If there were no emotional investment I'd hope people wouldn't give a shit.

markatisu

Wow so GTA Chinatown Wars was just not accepted by any group of gamers huh

Combined with its shitty EU PSP sales I think it safe to point to the game being the issue and not the platform its on

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
worldrevolution said:
Course I'm bitter. I'm a PS3 owner. Will never, ever buy a 360. And I think it sucks US PS3 fans don't support a game like UC2 while 360 owners support random games like Borderlands.

I feel like apologising for assuming you was a 360 fanboy but I find it hard when you think that we did ND a disservice with over 500k sales ?

laserbeam

Banned
markatisu said:
Wow so GTA Chinatown Wars was just not accepted by any group of gamers huh

Combined with its shitty EU PSP sales I think it safe to point to the game being the issue and not the platform its on
I think 2D GTA is just not accepted anymore. I mean the game got pretty good reviews so its not a case of bad game on either platform.

Barrett2

lowrider007 said:
With regards to the PSP Go sales, does anyone think that Sony expected it break any sales records ?,it may not be getting DS numbers but it always to trundle along still respectively, I don't think that 174k is that bad really.

Say what? PSP as a platform sold less units the month of the PSPGo's release than the month previous. This isn't respectable; its a complete and total failure of a system re-launch.

Top Bottom