• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Barrett2

outunderthestars said:
Well hell, you mean all of that enjoyment I've gotten from my PSP was all a lie????? I'd better get on the phone and call the fifty million or so people that own a PSP as well and let them know we've been had.

Without fail.... every month.... somebody will argue about how much "fun" they have with something when arguing in a sales numbers thread.

:enemyglider: said:
The original chalkboard was teh funny because it was making fun of PS3.
No, the original was funny because it was relevant and had a point about what fanboys were saying at the time. Your looks like it was written by a bunch of manatees.

Balb

I feel so much hostility in that new chalkboard. It really doesn't capture the greatness of the Sony chalkboard.

Balb said:
I feel so much hostility in that new chalkboard. It really doesn't capture the greatness of the Sony chalkboard.

Not to mention he didn't even use a chalk font. Just that MS Word script one. Where's the effort?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
outunderthestars said:
Nice name calling.

How isn't it selling? Over the last few months almost 1/3rd of the top 30 game sales in Japan have been psp games. The system should finish the year with over 55 million units sold LTD world wide.

The DS sells 450K units in a month, but only has one game in the top ten, and yet nobody says that it is a software failure.

People on the board see the top ten, and assume that nothing is sold below that level. Publishers continue to make games for the system, so they must be seeing some return on their investments, otherwise they'd simply stop making games for it.
Well this is a NPD thread, where the PSP has really never seen any software success.

Back when we use to get top 10 per platform, they had a top 10 handhelds and it was usually 10 DS games.

gillty

Banned
DaveTheSnake said:
Ratchet came out on October 27, so it had 5 days. Great numbers for Uncharted. Sony announced today that it has sold over a million copies since it has come out. Is anyone surprised at no Forza? I certainly am not. Wow at Borderlands on the 360. I gotta get out and buy that.

And now we wait until the MW2 ownage of November NPDS comes through :D .
FORZA MOTORSPORT 3 (360; Oct-09) 175,000

OCTOBER 27 5 DAYS! :lol

OldJadedGamer said:
Making fun of a system and making fun of the fanboys that support said system are two different things. You'd see this if you weren't the latter.

What fanboys ever claimed Haze or Lair were PS3 saviors, other than 360 fanboys that kept repeating it ad nauseum to make PS3 fans look bad.

"Lair did 20k! lolllerzzzz the PS3 savior bombed!!

Every time a PS3 exclusive released and the NPDs were reported it was the same crap with the same group of 360 fanboys laughing at the sales and then fabricating the title as another 'failed' savior.

I think you misinterpret PS3 fans getting excited over having quality games with them hyping titles up to be 'saviors'.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Not to mention he didn't even use a chalk font. Just that MS Word script one. Where's the effort?

That's cute, BenjaminBirdie. Maybe I should have wasted hours in the Forza 3 livery painting it. Would you be impressed then?

Is it 'mean' guys like me that prevent you from getting a PS3? How many thousands of dollars have you spent in your exclusive support of the 360?

Chumly

Sorry I didnt see your other post. If I had known is was made by a slobbering PS3 fanboy I wouldnt have commented on it. Now I understand why you posted it though.

Busaiku

I do wonder if PSP can ever have another notable hit outside Japan again.
I think Kingdom Hearts can do pretty well, but I think that really might be it.

lawblob said:
Without fail.... every month.... somebody will argue about how much "fun" they have with something when arguing in a sales numbers thread.

Well I did mention the 50 million other PSP's sold when saying it. :) I just fail to see how something that continues to sell can be considered a "total" failure.

Dissidia cracked the top ten yes?

And I still don't know why Sony didn't create a little big planet bundle for xmas. Seems like it would be a better combination that Gran Turismo.

stupei

lawblob said:

Every month? More like every single sales thread. It's just inevitable that someone busts out, "On GAF, a lot of people apparently like to play sales charts and not games, hur hur!"

Wow, so today was NPD? Thought we had another week. Sorry for those who wanted a gif, fair enough to those who didn't.

Apoc29 said:
http://i38.tinypic.com/2wd95wg.jpg

I like, a lot.

On the figures, I know its been said but damn impressive showing for Uncharted. Also cannot remember a time when Wii > DS recently.

Why For?

Banned

But you obviously failed to understand WHAT it was making fun of in the first place.

360 was never, and has never been in a position to 'need saving'.

Remake it, and relate it the 100 or so hardware revisions that were meant to eliminate RROD. Then repost.

Now.

outunderthestars said:
Nice name calling. He called it a total failure as a games machine. But it simply isn't.

How isn't it selling? Over the last few months almost 1/3rd of the top 30 game sales in Japan have been psp games. The system should finish the year with over 55 million units sold LTD world wide.

The DS sells 450K units in a month, but only has one game in the top ten, and yet nobody says that it is a software failure.

People on the board see the top ten, and assume that nothing is sold below that level. Publishers continue to make games for the system, so they must be seeing some return on their investments, otherwise they'd simply stop making games for it.
I want you to think very carefully about the thread you are in. Go and check the title if it helps. Now ask yourself this question: "Am I in the Media Create thread?"

outunderthestars said:

This is an NPD thread and NPD doesn't count Japanese sales... shocking I know.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Balb said:
As I said before, it looked like some sort of "revenge" against the alleged fanboys that made the original one more than an attempt to be funny or witty. The fact it had a lot of different points, only a few of which were remotely funny, made it look like an attempt to attack another console from as many directions as possible ("eat this! and this! and this!").
And, unsurprisingly, the subsequent posts by its maker seemed to confirm this feeling I had.

BenjaminBirdie said:
And since when do chalkboards show RROD'd skulls with flashing eyes, huh? ;P

So much hostility in this months thread. And most of it over stupid chalkboards. Anyways, good job Naughty Dog. Well deserved sales and number 1 spot. Hopefully it has huge legs too. Its an amazing game.

omg rite said:
PS3 has beat 360 for what, two months after PS3 became interesting to the public for the first time ever?

The chances of PS3's LTD beating 360's LTD are almost 0.

bu. . . but Japan and Yurop!

Believe™

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
stupei said:
Um. Weren't you just defending the PSP Go's sale numbers?

I don't see what the problem is tbh, I didn't expect the PSP Go to effect overall PSP sales, and I was right, it didn't, and why should it tbh, I just see it as an expensive 'premium model' adding choice for consumers that are considering purchasing a PSP, I hardly think that the Go was a PSP relaunch as some people are saying, if anything I think it was designed to give a push to the portable PSN store more than anything which of course benefits all PSP users and gains Sony extra revenue.

I expect DJ Hero to sell better next month.

Look at the GAF thread. It went from "this game sucks" to "I played the demo and will now purchase a game"

It was only on sale for 4 days. Word of mouth may help, as will trial.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
What fanboys ever claimed Haze or Lair were PS3 saviors, other than 360 fanboys that kept repeating it ad nauseum to make PS3 fans look bad.

"Lair did 20k! lolllerzzzz the PS3 savior bombed!!

Every time a PS3 exclusive released and the NPDs were reported it was the same crap with the same group of 360 fanboys laughing at the sales and then fabricating the title as another 'failed' savior.

I think you misinterpret PS3 fans getting excited over having quality games with them hyping titles up to be 'saviors'.

That's cute, BenjaminBirdie. Maybe I should have wasted hours in the Forza 3 livery painting it. Would you be impressed then?

Is it 'mean' guys like me that prevent you from getting a PS3? How many thousands of dollars have you spent in your exclusive support of the 360?
I'm still waiting for you to reply to this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18465565&postcount=459

Why For? said:
But you obviously failed to understand WHAT it was making fun of in the first place.

360 was never, and has never been in a position to 'need saving'.

Remake it, and relate it the 100 or so hardware revisions that were meant to eliminate RROD. Then repost.

Now.

The 360 is the last place console when time adjusted since launch. And pretty soon that year headstart won't even matter. Will you say it needs saving then?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
DR2K said:
I know it was in the top 10 in it's debut month. Either last month or before that.
Yeah, I just looked it up. Made it to the August top 10 with 130k.

Still, PSP software is far from great in NA.

GPsych

LOL @ all the butthurt replies

Not once did I hear about Haze or Lair being a 'PS3 savior'. The PS3 chalkboard was just typical fanboy trolling on GAF.

360 fanboys just got a taste of their own medicine the past few months. They can hope and pray that November will turn the tide around, but even if it evens out in November (or 360 gets a lead), it will only be temporary unless Microsoft continues to pull the $99 Arcade card.

Japan is kicking into high gear, sales wise, amounting to ~120-160k lead over the 360 in that region alone (will be much greater in December when FFXIII releases), in the US the PS3 has a lead of ~70k this month. Wish we had some concrete European numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the PS3 outsold the 360 by over 250k in that region. Overall you're probably looking at half a million more PS3s sold than 360s worldwide in the month of October alone. The best 360 can hope for this holiday season is that it'll beat the PS3 in sales in North America for November and December, but unlike years past if the 360 wins it won't be by a whole lot. PS3 keeping pace with 360 in US = 360 getting crushed worldwide.

PS3 will be catching up incredibly fast to the 360's lead. Unless NATAL saves the 360, there's nothing to really stop the increasing YoY declined for the platform.

While I agree that Haze was never mentioned as a PS3 savior, Lair was expected to be HUGE up until a couple of weeks before its release when the reviews came out. I remember when I got my PS3 at launch and everyone was freaking out at how "amazing" Lair would be because it would be in "True HD."

kswiston

OldJadedGamer said:
Forza 2 sold over 400k in it's first two months in NPD. I haven't tracked down any other numbers from Turn10 or MS because quite frankly I don't care enough. Btw, where are you getting these numbers from unbundled US only sales for the GT series?

Sorry, might not have been clear, but GT numbers DID include bundles. Numbers were also for North America, not just the US (though the US probably accounts for >80% of those totals. Canada and Latin America are pretty small markets).

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

I don't remember there really being much in the way of bundles with GT 1/2 and 4 in North America, which I think explains the gigantic sales spike GT3 saw.

Kenaras

Jocchan said:
You can make plenty of jokes on every console, every single one has its fair share of flaws and funny sides, as long as they're meant to be actually funny and not made just to vent your RAGE!

This sums it up my view pretty well. I can't imagine anyone reading that and actually being amused; the only thing it accomplishes is to make its poster look bad.

The 360 has been the butt of plenty of good jokes before - this just wasn't one of them.

WinFonda

Chalkboard meme was never funny. It shouldn't take the shoe being on the other foot for people to notice it, but so be it.

jamesinclair said:
I expect DJ Hero to sell better next month.

Look at the GAF thread. It went from "this game sucks" to "I played the demo and will now purchase a game"

It was only on sale for 4 days. Word of mouth may help, as will trial.
Don't hold your breath. The game got pretty good reviews . . . there just isn't much interest in pretending to be someone who pretends to be a musician. :D

Narcosis

That chalkboard on page 1 was lame, but the ensuing posts by it;s creator are awesome. I say we make a new chalkboard with the names of famous GAF Sony fanboys who are perma'd crossed out and enemyglider next on the list

Oh shit, how did I miss this!

:lol

Like I said, dude. GAF has like the best GIFs around. If you half-ass it, people notice.

And sorry to burst your bubble, but I've never spent $300 to $400 on 360 games that I regretted enough to wish I'd saved it for a PS3. Keep digging though. The more you make things personal, unlike my objective critique of your gif's shortcomings (note I didn't point out anything console-based, just the execution), the more you make it clear what your motivations really are.

fernoca

lawblob said:
To be fair, he was replying to:
Fact is the PSP is a total failure as a game machine.
..don't see how being a "failure as a game machine" is related to sales...the same way "fun" is not related to sales neither.

If ithe other poster said:
Fact is the PSP is a total failure in the US.
..though stretching a bit, that is way more related to sales.

Anyway, is too bad about the sales..
There are quite a few great games on it..yet, the userbase is really segmented:
-The ones that just buy random games
-The ones that don't buy games because of custom firmware
-The ones that don't buy games, because custom firwmare is not allowing them to play new games

Is really weird how Sony on one hand is starting to do many great things with the PS3, including the price drop..yet,with the PSP they started right this year with new games and bundles....yet, release a new model to raise it's price and segment the userbase even more.

The 360 is the last place console when time adjusted since launch. And pretty soon that year headstart won't even matter. Will you say it needs saving then?
What a strange argument. We should look back a year for the 360 to see how it's doing?

The PS3 has made great strides in the last couple of months, but I think it would be disingenuous to ignore its performance in the US up until that point... which is when the chalkboard was doing the rounds.

Why For?

Banned

Why would it need saving even in last place?

Gamecube was last and Nintendo made MORE money than Microsoft and Sony last gen.

By the end of this generation Microsoft will have at LEAST doubled their old userbase, and taken away market AND mind share from Sony, who last gen 'beat' them by 100 million units.

Even IF the PS3 takes over WW (which I believe it eventually will), it'll be so many years down the track, and by such a small margin, it will STILL be seen as a win to Microsoft by those in the know.

MS have only ever been out to fuck Sony up. They appear to have accomplished their mission, and arguably a generation early too.

lowrider007 said:
I don't see what the problem is tbh, I didn't expect the PSP Go to effect overall PSP sales, and I was right, it didn't, and why should it tbh, I just see it as an expensive 'premium model' adding choice for consumers that are considering purchasing a PSP, I hardly think that the Go was a PSP relaunch as some people are saying, if anything I think it was designed to give a push to the portable PSN store more than anything which of course benefits all PSP users and gains Sony extra revenue.
There's no way to prove otherwise, but I really can't imagine Sony went to all the trouble of doing a considerable hardware redesign and pushed it with marketing on the expectation that it would fail. It just doesn't make sense at all.

Psychotext said:
What a strange argument. We should look back a year for the 360 to see how it's doing?

No, just realize that the PS3 launched later. And is selling faster. Late 2010/early 2011 will likely see PS3 > 360 sales WW.

Should have done it with the forza 3 livery. Maybe added a few master chief helmets.

The font choices in FM3 are pretty lame, actually. I would indeed be impressed if you replicated a chalk look on a Forza livery. Like I said, the problem was your font choice. Script typefaces never look like handwriting, ever. I have no idea why people ever think they do.

Top Bottom