• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

GavinGT

Banned
Opiate said:
Agreed. For the hardware, the price has been fantastic. In fact, it's been so "fantastic" that Sony has lost 5 billion dollars loss leading it in to people's homes.

The problem was the hardware.

They don't call you a loss leader if you're in third place.

Nirolak said:
It's explained in the Kingdom Hearts official thread. I can't quite remember the exact details right now.

That's how long Sora was in the XIII organization. It's also how long
his twin was in so it's 358 days devided by two people.

Haha, I don't even play Kingdom Hearts and I know it.

gkrykewy said:
Man, Bloomberg trolling Wii with the headline. I mean, really :lol

Nevermind the fact that they were.. what.. 20% shy of outselling their two competitors combined? Jedi mind tricks.

well it surely may be"spin" of some nature, but no manufacturer wants to see sales of their product drop y-o-y after a price cut.

speculawyer said:
"In third place with 418,000 units was the 360 edition of Borderlands, the all-new action-role-playing game IP from 2K Games and Gearbox software. However, when the game's 113,000 PS3 units and 15,000 PC units are included, the game's sales total 546,000 units--enough to barely top Uncharted 2's haul"
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6239837.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=topstory&tag=topstory;more
Yea with Steam it really jumped past it ..

and it did that in 11 days?

Uncharted 2 did that in what 3 weeks? Thats pretty crazy.

Then again UC2 is just 1 platform.. but even Xb360 did pretty good by itself in 11 days.

Glad to see UC2 do so well compared to the first one, my PS3 is dead or I would have bought it already. It's going in for repair and I have MW2 for now. But you can count on me to contribute to UC2 sales in December.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
MikeE21286 said:
well it surely may be"spin" of some nature, but no manufacturer wants to see sales of their product drop y-o-y after a price cut.

When the previous years October is IIRC the HIGHEST NON HOLIDAY MONTH EVER, you have little to go but down. It was beyond any realistic expectations to expect the Wii to significantly outpace the PS2 forever.

AniHawk

Can you believe it? This is the 360's 48th month on the market and the Wii and PS3's 36th month.

PS2 19,010,000 (36 months) (September 2003)
PS2 24,882,000 (48 months) (September 2004)

Xbox - 9,961,402 (36 months) (October 2004)
Xbox - 12,870,000 (48 months) (October 2005)

GCN - 8,003,241 (36 months) (October 2004)
GCN - 11,382,000 (48 months) (October 2005)

360 11,421,000 (36 months) (October 2008)
360 16,501,486 (48 months) (October 2009)

PS3 9,058,296 (36 months) (October 2009)

Wii 22,064,881 (36 months) (October 2009)

I think the only system in October that managed to best the Wii's October this year might've been the PS2 in 2001. Or maybe 2000 (its launch month/week).

schuelma said:
When the previous years October is IIRC the HIGHEST NON HOLIDAY MONTH EVER, you have little to go but down. It was beyond any realistic expectations to expect the Wii to significantly outpace the PS2 forever.

You mean, the Wii wasn't going to sell 800K+ a month forever?
My world is shattered (shadooby).

schuelma said:

yeah, I didn't know that.... but still...it can obviously be viewed from all different angles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
MikeE21286 said:
yeah, I didn't know that.... but still...it can obviously be viewed from all different angles.

Check Anihawk's post for a bit more perspective.

Dragon

Banned
Linkup said:
Only problem with this is that the PSP Go has sold low numbers so far so the number of downloads can't be that high in the first place.

I know it's been said in the thread, but it bears repeating, all the other PSP versions can download the same games as the Go.

markatisu

AceBandage said:
You mean, the Wii wasn't going to sell 800K+ a month forever?
My world is shattered (shadooby).

Seriously, it would be nice if the media would use proper context

I think GAF would go offline if the Wii has sold anywhere near 800k this month :lol

jay said:
Jokeropia's breakdown of Japanese sales seem to show the PSP selling less than half as much software as the DS week to week. I can accept the logic that if companies are making games still they must sell enough but something fishy seems to be going on when sales seem so underwhelming in absolute volume yet big exclusives are continually announced. This is Japan stuff though so feel free to move it to PMs.

It very simple. They're just horny for Sony. I bet there are even some of them pining for the good ol' days of Sony domination thanks in part to nostalgia. No need to waste any more time trying to decipher "The Great Mystery of Third Party Logic" people keep pimping or scratching their heads over all the time. If the PSP's userbase was swapped with the DS's, you wouldn't be seeing any forced DS support.

Tobor

Linkup said:
Only problem with this is that the PSP Go has sold low numbers so far so the number of downloads can't be that high in the first place.

What does that have to do with attach rate and PSN sales in general?

Linkup

TheBranca18 said:
I know it's been said in the thread, but it bears repeating, all the other PSP versions can download the same games as the Go.

Are games downloaded from the psp store not pirated? I thought they were.

Tobor said:
What does that have to do with attach rate and PSN sales in general?

I was thinking the psp store downloads where pirated along with umd games. If they were then I wouldn't expect the group stealing psp games to care whether they came from as long as they could play it on their psp3000.

Grecco

DeaconKnowledge said:
When will people learn to avoid 2K sports? MLB is shit, NBA has turned to shit, NHL is decent but falling behind, and they don't have the NFL license.

People ride EA over Madden, but at least the franchise has taken tangible steps forward.

The Bigs and The bigs 2 (both bombed sales wise) are some of the best sports games released this gen

Keikoku

Banned
jay said:
I've never understood your tag since most of your posts seem positive, if aimed at a specific company.

True dat.

Anyway, Uncharted 2 surely did good, but this month software wasn't really high honestly... good score, but no big deal compared to ODST and the upcoming MW2. Still an improvement from the first one, but I think that we still can't say that Uncharted is a system seller series...

I'm sure it's already been mentioned.....

but seeing a spin-off Kingdom Hearts game in the top 10 after a 3 year absence from any releases in the series hopefully puts a fire under somebody to get Kingdom Hearts 3 out :D

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Grecco said:
I said this last month :( Gran Turismo 5 will expect the same results.

I think you seriously underestimate the GT brand name, the Forza brand name is pretty much nothing next to that juggernaut. GT5 is going to be huge. I know a few people who bought a PS3 on launch just because of GT5 and it hadn't even been announced yet.

edit: Also, I know GTPSP was a bomb, but PSP has been plagued by piracy for a long time, I don't think there's been a PSP game in the top 10 for a long time. Not to mention that the game was basically a half hearted attempt to cash in on the release of the PSPGO.

I've got to eat a little bit of crow on Brutal legend. I thought it would do a little under 300K . . . close to 200K on the 360 and the rest on the PS3. But just over 200K? That kinda hurts.

I think it may suffer from having to compete with itself . . . the game is short and the multi-player is not super-compelling. Thus, people buy it and sell it back.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
John Riccitello said:
Electronic Arts Inc. Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello, who made developing games for the Nintendo system a priority, said this week that “underperformance of the Wii” is a reason the Redwood City, California-based company may miss its profit forecast for the year.

Underperformance? The Wii is tracking higher than the PS2 did during this period it's life span. Maybe if EA didn't flood the market with average games it would see better sales.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Vilix said:
Underperformance? The Wii is tracking higher than the PS2 did during this period it's life span. Maybe if EA didn't flood the market with average games it would see better sales.
Surely he must mean under performance of EA titles on the Wii.

Grecco

GSG Flash said:
I think you seriously underestimate the GT brand name, the Forza brand name is pretty much nothing next to that juggernaut. GT5 is going to be huge. I know a few people who bought a PS3 on launch just because of GT5 and it hadn't even been announced yet.

edit: Also, I know GTPSP was a bomb, but PSP has been plagued by piracy for a long time, I don't think there's been a PSP game in the top 10 for a long time. Not to mention that the game was basically a half hearted attempt to cash in on the release of the PSPGO.

disidia if im not mistaken charted like what a month ago? Two months ago.

speculawyer said:
I've got to eat a little bit of crow on Brutal legend. I thought it would do a little under 300K . . . close to 200K on the 360 and the rest on the PS3. But just over 200K? That kinda hurts.

I think it may suffer from having to compete with itself . . . the game is short and the multi-player is not super-compelling. Thus, people buy it and sell it back.

I think the combination of theme, Jack Black being in it, and the RTS elements severely limited the market for the game. I love Tim's previous games, but the thought of spending ten hours controlling Jack Black in a heavy metal world just makes me want to curl up in a little ball and die.

user_nat said:
Surely he must mean under performance of EA titles on the Wii.

Even then, most EA titles have preformed spectacularly. The only ones that really haven't are Madden (because, let's face it, EA keeps screwing it up by trying to force "easy for everyone" on it) and Extraction (a lightgun version of a poor selling HD game).

outunderthestars said:
I think the combination of theme, Jack Black being in it, and the RTS elements severely limited the market for the game. I love Tim's previous games, but the thought of spending ten hours controlling Jack Black in a heavy metal world just makes me want to curl up in a little ball and die.

Too me, I thought that Jack Black and heavy metal would greatly increase the market over a Psychonauts type game. But yeah, 200k across both platforms is probably well under what it should have been.

outunderthestars said:

I always thought one of the hook of putting Black in the game was to expand the game's appeal :?

EXGN

Keikoku said:
Impressive if true. And Tekken 6 bombed ?

Considering it was only on sale for a few days, I'd be hesitant calling it a bomb. Plus, we don't know how well T6 360 is doing either.

Top Bottom