• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

soldat7

BenjaminBirdie said:
GAF is home to some of the finest gifsmiths in the land. Play hard or go home.

speculawyer said:
I just noticed that Activision had nothing in the top 10 in October.

2mg1tut.jpg

Ridley327

jamesinclair said:
Was there a shortage?

This number does NOT fit in with other sales.

(PS2 GH5 sold almost as much as PS3 version)

Very, very few big box retailers were carrying the PS2 version in stores. It was, effectively, an online-only game. They've done the same thing with the Band Hero bundle, as well.

Zzoram

Htown said:
I mean, nobody really knows how much games sell on Steam, for example, but it has to be pretty sweet since pretty much everyone but Microsoft (and a couple smaller companies with their own DD services) is on board.

If 15,000 copies of Borderlands PC at retail is true, then Steam could very well equal retail sales.

Deku

Banned
Last years numbers:

PlayStation 2 136K
PlayStation 3 190K
PSP 193K
Xbox 360 371K
Wii 803K
Nintendo DS 491K

PlayStation 2 117.8K
PlayStation 3 320.6K
PSP 174.6K
Xbox 360 249.7K
Wii 506.9K
Nintendo DS 457.6K

This generations drivers are the 360/DS/Wii and they're either flat or down. yoy

There could be a double crest when the PS3 finally exhausts its pent up demand after an unusually slow start, but I don't see the evidence of an unusually long generation.

legend166

Zzoram said:
If 15,000 copies of Borderlands PC at retail is true, then Steam could very well equal retail sales.

Well, Steam is a global service. I'd be shocked if Borderlands didn't sell over 15k on Steam.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Here's a compilation of all the software numbers we know (correct me if I've missed anything):

UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES (PS3; Oct-09) 537,000
WII FIT PLUS (WII) 441,000
BORDERLANDS (360) 418,000
WII SPORTS RESORT (WII) 314,000
NBA 2K10 (360) 311,000
HALO 3: ODST (360) 271,000
NBA 2K10 (PS3) 213,000
FORZA MOTORSPORT 3 (360) 175,000
KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS (NDS) 169,000
FIFA SOCCER 10 (360) 156,000
BRUTAL LEGEND (360) 150,000
BORDERLANDS (PS3) 113,000
DEMONS SOULS (PS3) >100k
BRUTAL LEGEND (PS3) 66,000
DJ HERO (360) 62,000
DJ HERO (PS3) 39,000
DJ HERO (WII) 19,000
BORDERLANDS (PC) 15,000
GTA CHINATOWN WARS (PSP) <10k
A BOY AND HIS BLOB (WII) <10k (less than GTA)
DJ HERO (PS2) 3,300

other random data:

TEKKEN 6 (PS3, X360) >175k, <575k (PS3 version sold more)
NBA 2K10 (PS2, PSP, WII, PC) 51k

user_nat said:

It's creamsugar. creamsugar is the source.

legend166

I wonder if the amount of stories written on the bomba of Chinatown Wars on the PSP will even reach 10% of the amount written when it underperformed on the DS.

I think I already know the answer.

J-Rzez

Usually I stay out of these threads, but I just stopped by to say congrats ND with Uncharted 2 topping the charts, though bitter sweet. The game deserves far greater sales being my favorite SP adventure of all time.

AniHawk

legend166 said:
I wonder if the amount of stories written on the bomba of Chinatown Wars on the PSP will even reach 10% of the amount written when it underperformed on the DS.

I think I already know the answer.

Everything fails on the PSP outside of Japan unless it's heavily advertised.

Ridley327

Like people have said, we certainly know that it wasn't the platform's fault that GTA:CW didn't sell too great on the DS. I guess it should have been obvious from the start, but mainstream audiences really do not care for 2D GTA titles.

Zzoram

Ridley327 said:
Like people have said, we certainly know that it wasn't the platform's fault that GTA:CW didn't sell too great on the DS. I guess it should have been obvious from the start, but mainstream audiences really do not care for 2D GTA titles.

The franchise only really took off when it went 3D so that's not surprising.

tino

Banned
That's very impressive for Uncharted 2.

Sony keep hacking away with its new IP and finally has a hit.

LOL @ PSP nogo.

Shurs

Danthrax said:
Here's a compilation of all the software numbers we know (correct me if I've missed anything):

TEKKEN 6 (PS3, X360) >175k, <575k (PS3 version sold more)

If Brutal Legend (360 version) sold 150,000 copies, would Tekken 6 have total sales of less than 300,000 between the two consoles?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What's the excuse next month, all the sales of MW2, NSMB and assorted Wii titles crowded it out and Forza 3 did fantastic?

Well, actually, yeah, that's a decent excuse.

Grecco

Ridley327 said:
Didn't Stop the enthuthiast sites from jumping to conclusions tho a shame it's pretty good. With ds psp and iPhone versions it should still do well for 2 k

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Shurs said:
If Brutal Legend (360 version) sold 150,000 copies, would Tekken 6 have total sales of less than 300,000 between the two consoles?

I don't understand the question.

Man God said:
What's the excuse next month, all the sales of MW2, NSMB and assorted Wii titles crowded it out and Forza 3 did fantastic?

Well, actually, yeah, that's a decent excuse.

:lol

Wow, a lot of really poor software sales and weak software sales overall in general. Not surprised at DJ Hero bombing. The music genre is oversaturated. Wow at Chinatown Wars. I guess M rated games also don't sell on psp. ;p Uncharted numbers are solid, but not overly spectacular.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AniHawk said:
Everything fails on the PSP outside of Japan unless it's heavily advertised.

I saw quite a few GT CW on PSP ads.

Also can someone please post the first month GH1 figures?

Shurs

Danthrax said:
I don't understand the question.

If Brutal Legend (360 version) sold 150,000 copies, which ranked it 11th, on the charts, and Neither version of Tekken placed higher than 11th, than we can be sure that neither version sold over 150,000 copies, and therefore, instead of >175k, <575k, we could say it is >175k, <300k.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Andrex said:
I saw quite a few GT CW on PSP ads.

Also can someone please post the first month GH1 figures?
It didn't chart in the top 20 in it's first month. (November 2005) Or any time in the next 6 months as far as I can tell.

Shurs said:
If Brutal Legend (360 version) sold 150,000 copies, which ranked it 11th, on the charts, and Neither version of Tekken placed higher than 11th, than we can be sure that neither version sold over 150,000 copies, and therefore, instead of >175k, <575k, we could say it is >175k, <300k.

makes sense

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
user_nat said:
It didn't chart in it's first month. (November 2005) Or any time in the next 6 months as far as I can tell.

So why are people saying DJ Hero bombed? I think it's done OK for a new peripheral+game. GH wasn't a blip until word of mouth spread, which is happening for DJ Hero.

And this coming from someone who hasn't bought and has no intention to buy DJ Hero or any of its sequels.

Ridley327

Grecco said:
Didn't Stop the enthuthiast sites from jumping to conclusions tho a shame it's pretty good. With ds psp and iPhone versions it should still do well for 2 k

Those sites like easy targets, especially ones that they don't have to answer for later on.

It's a really awesome game that deserved to do better.

Andrex said:
So why are people saying DJ Hero bombed? I think it's done OK for a new peripheral+game. GH wasn't a blip until word of mouth spread, which is happening for DJ Hero.

And this coming from someone who hasn't bought and has no intention to buy DJ Hero or any of its sequels.

GH1 was a very reasonable $60, though.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Shurs said:

Ah. Right, yes, you're correct — I was initially using the boundaries creamsugar gave, but your logic narrows it down more.

I actually just found a blog that says both versions of Tekken 6 combined for just under 200k, but the blogger gives no source so I don't know how accurate that figure is.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Andrex said:

GH1 could have sold more in it's first month and not charted though, it was a November.

It's not a fair comparison anyhow, DJ Hero is more of a spin off than a new IP.

Shurs

Danthrax said:
Ah. Right, yes, you're correct — I was initially using the boundaries creamsugar gave, but your logic narrows it down more.

I actually just found a blog that says both versions of Tekken 6 combined for just under 200k, but the blogger gives no source so I don't know how accurate that figure is.

I greatly undershot my estimates for Tekken 6. I thought both versions would chart fairly high this month.

Tenden

I expect the Xbox 360 to be over the Ps3 next month due to the ban wave, MW2 and the Walmart/Amazon $100 gift card thing.

December will be interesting though...

Rhindle

Andrex said:

DJ Hero might still do OK. It's basically intended as holiday gift giving-fodder. I'll be surprised if none of lovely friends & relations gives me one, despite my never having expressed the vaguest interest in it.

Yoboman said:
DJ Hero sold bad because of the horrible music selection and terrible mixing
Also, there's the fact that not many people want to be a "DJ" "Hero"

Balb

AniHawk said:
games don't sell on PSP outside of Japan. Seriously, it's a graveyard.

The previous GTA games did though.

We just have to accept that the old GTA-style doesn't sell. The GBA game didn't sell well, and neither did Chinatown Wars for DS/PSP.

Yoboman

Tenden said:
I expect the Xbox 360 to be over the Ps3 next month due to the ban wave, MW2 and the Walmart/Amazon $100 gift card thing.

December will be interesting though...
Ban wave is just as likely to invoke PS3 sales, same for Modern Warfare 2. Though I doubt that game will push systems

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Tenden said:
I expect the Xbox 360 to be over the Ps3 next month due to the ban wave
But don't you need a specific type of Xbox to use pirated games on? Someone mentioned in the other thread that the DVD drive has new firmware or something.

So that would mean they'd deal in the used market instead of going to Target and buying one or something.

Andrex said:

It barely sold over 100K on four platforms.

I'm pretty sure they expected much more than that. People are saying Brutal Legend flopped but it sold a lot more than that.

And this is a game where they made a special "Renegade" edition of it. Companies generally don't make special editions for a game unless they think it will sell pretty well.

Top Bottom