• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Dragon

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Man, Bloomberg trolling Wii with the headline. I mean, really :lol

The truth hurts.

gkrykewy said:
Nevermind the fact that they were.. what.. 20% shy of outselling their two competitors combined? Jedi mind tricks.

It must be hard to accept that everyone doesn't feel the same about something as you do. Even if it's irrational!

gkrykewy said:
What you need to know is that Demon's Souls is a PlayStation 3 exclusive, it's the only game of its type on the console, and is consequently the best game of its genre this generation. See also: Valkyria Chronicles.

Have you played either game? Just curious, I haven't played Demon's Souls yet, however Valkyria is a fine game.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
speculawyer said:
Well played on the NBA 2K10 comment. :lol

I agree that GT5 will sell a lot . . . the game has a huge reputation and the Polyphony Digital team has been working on it FOREVER it seems. The over-saturation is more on the 360 side. MS has 2 exclusive series (PGR & Forza) plus all the good multi-platform games.
Sony has GT and Motorstorm.

Although Motorstorm is probably dead at this point.

WinFonda

OldJadedGamer said:
So Sony's numbers will always stay this high even with a 360 price cut?
What I said was pretty clear. I didn't say that it would stay at 370k a month. I said that it won't return to its lower levels. It will have a new, higher average because of the price cut/redesign.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jay said:
Yet every week Famitsu announces more PSP games than DS (I know this is NPD not media create, the announced games tend to end up here).

First, I don't think its true that PSP is getting more games than DS in Japan. It is however, a very healthy #2 and that's because it is the #2 system in Japan.

expy said:
I'm willing to believe that they will. I've noticed a decrease in overall interest in the 360 console in my area and more people asking about Playstation 3 and Blu-Ray. PS3 is going to be a hot item this Holiday season regardless of a 360 price-cut (if it happens).

I don't think Blu-ray is going to be a driver in the PS3 anymore. I just bought my mom a Samsung Blu-ray player yesterday for Christmas that has Netflix support for $100 bucks.

For me personally, the PS3 has been a big seller to my friends this year (myself included, got a slim at launch) but all my friends have one thing in common... they all already own a 360.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
beelzebozo said:
take a drink for every utterance of the word "fanboy" in this thread.
We'd get completely drunk in a few pages
with 50 posts each
:(

gkrykewy said:

Nevermind the fact that they were.. what.. 20% shy of outselling their two competitors combined? Jedi mind tricks.
Hmmm...
Electronic Arts Inc. Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello, who made developing games for the Nintendo system a priority, said this week that “underperformance of the Wii” is a reason the Redwood City, California-based company may miss its profit forecast for the year.
Did Riccitiello give that as the only reason for them not meeting their forecasts?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Sony should lower the price of the psp go to under 200, maybe more subpar psp gp sales will convince them of dropping the price.

user_nat said:
Makes you wonder if Natal/Sony thing will help the driving genre.

Since Mario Kart Wii sold 10 billion copies.

I hope you are not trying to say that Mario Kart is representative of the available market for the driving genre. I don't think you are though.

A better chalkboard would be genre related... With both Rhythm and Driving as near dead or dying, following the lead of extreme sports, skateboarding, adventure games, platformers, shooters, flying, space sims, etc.

jay said:
Yet every week Famitsu announces more PSP games than DS (I know this is NPD not media create, the announced games tend to end up here).

What was the consensus on why the PSP keeps getting big exclusives? Those titles can actually sell well on the system (or in Japan), or Sony pays for them?

I know all of this and have put about 45 hours into the game so far (and own VC).
The games sell well enough in Japan to justify support from the Japanese companies. Support in NA has been getting worse and worse over time, but Sony managed to get a good push together, probably riding on the PSP Go launch and the revitalization of the PSP PSN store. I can't imagine western support is going to continue if things keep going this way, though.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jocchan said:
Hmmm...

Did Riccitiello give that as the only reason for them not meeting their forecasts?

Unreal, absolutely unreal. Blaming the Wii for EA's problem is beyond hilarious.

gkrykewy said:

Well . . . in their defense, the downfall of Nintendo has been a big story in the financial world. The Nintendo Wii stock bubble popped. The Wii itself continues to do great but an over-inflated Nintendo stock price finally came back down to Earth.

ntdoy.pk

Bloomberg is a financial news organization, not a gamer nerd news site.

I was very close to buying a ps3, I really want uncharted and infamous but I still want games on 360 that I don't have money for, me spending 300 plus games just doesn't seem worth it. I can buy so many more games(7+) on the 360 which I think I would enjoy more then a ps3 and one game. I do want one tho, I just need more. I can see ps3 fans seeing the same backwards but atleast 360 has a 200 buck option.

olimpia84

jay said:
I have a question that may sound like an attack but I assure you is not. People are celebrating Demon's Souls selling over 100k. If that's good then I'm happy because it's a great game. In other threads I've seen people argue that (here comes apples to oranges) NMH could have barely made any profit if any because it only sold around 200k in the states.

Is this a case of people being overexcited for Demon's Souls sales, or a case of people being stupid about NMH's sales? I guess I don't really have any concept of what sales are good - I know it all depends on the game but if 200k for an SD game is not great then 100+k for an HD game should be bad.

I'd like to know this as well. If a game like NMH needs to sell around 200k to make some profit then that means Atlus is probably filing for bankruptcy as I'm writing this.

WinFonda said:
What I said was pretty clear. I didn't say that it would stay at 370k a month. I said that it won't return to its lower levels. It will have a new, higher average because of the price cut/redesign.

But as pointed out earlier in the thread, the numbers between the two HD twins are the same as they were last year, it's just that each percentage for the systems has changed. This shows that the same market is there but that the PS3 is eating into the 360 sales but the same total amount of sales hasn't changed.

For what you say to be true, either the market needs to expand or the price of the 360 has to remain the same.

Dragon

Banned
schuelma said:
Wait, you honestly think that is a reasonable headline and analysis

Reasonable? No. But it is true.

gkrykewy said:
:lol :lol

Sorta like this response. Reasonable? No. But I'm sure gkrykewy is laughing somewhere about the absurdity of it all.

Scottlarock said:
I was very close to buying a ps3, I really want uncharted and infamous but I still want games on 360 that I don't have money for, me spending 300 plus games just doesn't seem worth it. I can buy so many more games(7+) on the 360 which I think I would enjoy more then a ps3 and one game. I do want one tho, I just need more. I can see ps3 fans seeing the same backwards but atleast 360 has a 200 buck option.
The best way to go would be to sell your 360 and get a ps3, better of doing this now before it red rings.

Opiate

expy said:
I'm willing to believe that they will. I've noticed a decrease in overall interest in the 360 console in my area and more people asking about Playstation 3 and Blu-Ray. PS3 is going to be a hot item this Holiday season regardless of a 360 price-cut (if it happens).

Why are you willing to believe that? This has never been the case. When the 360's price cut hit last year, the PS3 saw an immediate decline. With the PS3's drop, the 360 went from staying even YoY to suddenly falling 100k behind.

In fact, this year, the total "HD system" sales are almost exactly equal to what they were last year at this time, just with PS3 up about 100k and 360 down.

These two systems are very clearly eating each other's lunch.

gkryhewy

speculawyer said:
Well . . . in their defense, the downfall of Nintendo has been a big story in the financial world. The Nintendo Wii stock bubble popped. The Wii itself continues to do great but an over-inflated Nintendo stock price finally came back down to Earth.

ntdoy.pk

Oh, I know - I own it. Share price has been stable since spring (and undervalued IMO - very low P/E, and it's now priced lower than before the Wii launched).

The thing is that they're continuing to run with Wii YOY declines (ignoring the significant uptick in unit sales since the price drop) as the lead NPD story this month, when Wii hardware sales are really the only high note re: hardware sales for October.

TunaLover

jay said:
I have a question that may sound like an attack but I assure you is not. People are celebrating Demon's Souls selling over 100k. If that's good then I'm happy because it's a great game. In other threads I've seen people argue that (here comes apples to oranges) NMH could have barely made any profit if any because it only sold around 200k in the states.

Is this a case of people being overexcited for Demon's Souls sales, or a case of people being stupid about NMH's sales? I guess I don't really have any concept of what sales are good - I know it all depends on the game but if 200k for an SD game is not great then 100+k for an HD game should be bad.

I think 100k+ is alright relative to the success that it had in Japan, NMH was a failure there, but a success here in US. But yeah, people tend to forget HD cost, when it comes to thrump PS3/360 sales.

knitoe

Opiate said:
Why are you willing to believe that? This has never been the case. When the 360's price cut hit last year, the PS3 saw an immediate decline. With the PS3's drop, the 360 went from staying even YoY to suddenly falling 100k behind.

In fact, this year, the total "HD system" sales are almost exactly equal to what they were last year at this time, just with PS3 up about 100k and 360 down.

These two systems are very clearly eating each other's lunch.
Yeah. X360 and PS3 are targeting same audience. They will take away from each others sales. Right now, Wii has a different audience so doesn't affect them as much. It's going to be interesting when PS3 and X360 "Waggle" comes out. Then, everyone will be targeting same spectrum.

jay

Segata Sanshiro said:
The games sell well enough in Japan to justify support from the Japanese companies. Support in NA has been getting worse and worse over time, but Sony managed to get a good push together, probably riding on the PSP Go launch and the revitalization of the PSP PSN store. I can't imagine western support is going to continue if things keep going this way, though.

Jokeropia's breakdown of Japanese sales seem to show the PSP selling less than half as much software as the DS week to week. I can accept the logic that if companies are making games still they must sell enough but something fishy seems to be going on when sales seem so underwhelming in absolute volume yet big exclusives are continually announced. This is Japan stuff though so feel free to move it to PMs.

Scottlarock said:

I finally broke down and ordered a ps3 today. I finally hit that tipping point in terms of games that I wanted to play. Picked up Little Big Planet, Valkyria Chronicles, Katamari, and Afrika. :)

igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
The best way to go would be to sell your 360 and get a ps3, better of doing this now before it red rings.
I would end up with even less games to play. I know it was a joke, but its not even funny. I was hoping a ps3 bundle would be anounced soon with 2 games for the holidays

Haunted

speculawyer said:

ntdoy.pk

Bloomberg is a financial news organization, not a gamer nerd news site.
Time to buy buy buy.

gogojira

GTA and Brutal Legends bomba? No numbers for the top 20 yet, I'm guessing. It's nice to see Uncharted 2 sitting pretty up top, it deserves it based on what I hear. I'd also be interested in seeing what Demon's Souls put up.

Count Dookkake said:
Bitter tears.
Fitting, but hard to acquire and rather salty.

Sips of beer would get you through a few bottles, but that's just boring.

Shots of 151 would be a bit too much.

Jagerbombs.... Actually..... that sounds about right. 7 or 8 in, you're hyper and drunk, and by the morning you're banned.

Ok.

Maybe not a great idea.

user_nat said:
Game out on the same day as Forza didn't it?

Which was apparently 5 days.

I'm seeing Oct 29th when I do a search, which was strangely enough a thursday.

I'd imagine the lack of charting probably has to do with most people already owning the game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
what's really great is the people most likely to yammer on and on about "fanboys" are typically the most insane weird fans themselves

what's that old saying? "he who smelt it dealt it?"

stupei

lowrider007 said:
Perhaps they want to keep up the sales of the 3000's as won't they be making more profit from that ?, that's why I said I think the PSPGo was more a push of the portable PSN store than anything, get people to continue purchasing the 3000's with good profitably and also get consumers purchasing more digitally distributed content across all the sku's, plus have the Go on the market as a premium model, this is only an idea though.

Doesn't someone have to be paid to come up with the redesign? It just makes no sense that they would actually plan for it to fail as much as it has. Even as a means of promoting PSN, it's not really selling well enough to do that. If it's just an excuse for them to force developers to release every game on PSN, I guess that might be part of it, but surely there was another means of going about that.

outunderthestars said:
I finally broke down and ordered a ps3 today. I finally hit that tipping point in terms of games that I wanted to play. Picked up Little Big Planet, Valkyria Chronicles, Katamari, and Afrika. :)
some of the game choices don't match mine, but I agree with the cracking point, but I could still buy so many more games without having to buy a system, controllers, ect... 360 bucks for a system and game or 7 games. I choose 7 games. my backlog of games on 360 can't justify buying a new system to increase my backlog 2x

gogojira

polyh3dron said:
Holy fuck Brutal Legend bombed... Who were all those people saying it would outsell Uncharted 2?

PS3 had a great month.

People said that? That's a bold stance to take when you're dealing with the PS3 biggest holiday exclusive. I still need to get that damn game.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
So, about A Boy and His Blob...

:(

Any leaks?

Sad, indeed. :( And I'm guilty of not picking it up. But I will in time, I swear!

Top Bottom