• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

chixdiggit

professor_t said:
Man, I hope Forza 3 has legs. It deserves better.

Agreed. I suggest people give it a try even if they don't normally get into sim racers. Forza 3 makes it so easy to learn and have fun.

chixdiggit said:
Agreed. I suggest people give it a try even if they don't normally get into sim racers. Forza 3 makes it so easy to learn and have fun.

Unless they've added power boosts, short cuts and mind blowing environments, I think I'll pass.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
markatisu said:
Yeah I suppose because DSE and Madden underperformed that nulls the success of Tiger Woods, Grand Slam Tennis and EA Active
Just because those titles were a success doesn't mean that they weren't expecting more.

outunderthestars said:
I think the combination of theme, Jack Black being in it, and the RTS elements severely limited the market for the game. I love Tim's previous games, but the thought of spending ten hours controlling Jack Black in a heavy metal world just makes me want to curl up in a little ball and die.
Got your wish?

outunderthestars
Banned
(Today, 08:37 PM)
Reply | Quote

AceBandage said:
Even then, most EA titles have preformed spectacularly. The only ones that really haven't are Madden (because, let's face it, EA keeps screwing it up by trying to force "easy for everyone" on it) and Extraction (a lightgun version of a poor selling HD game).
I'm pretty sure Dead Space sold over a million WW some months back so I'm betting EA assumed that at least more than, what, 1-2% of the people who bought Dead Space on any of the three HD platforms would be interested in a Wii spinoff? I know you're required by penalty of torture to deflect any and all Nintendo criticism but man up for once and take a few lashes.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Grecco said:
disidia if im not mistaken charted like what a month ago? Two months ago.

Yeah I forgot about Dissidia, doesn't really change my point though, Dissidia was the first PSP game to make the top 10 since Crisis Core and God of War did in March 08, and it sold only 130 000 at that, not even enough to make the top 10 in September and October.

GT PSP is not a good indicator of how GT5 will do, GT5 will probably sell consoles IMO.

Of All Trades said:
I'm pretty sure Dead Space sold over a million WW some months back so I'm betting EA assumed that at least more than, what, 1-2% of the people who bought Dead Space on any of the three HD platforms would be interested in a Wii spinoff? I know you're required by penalty of torture to deflect any and all Nintendo criticism but man up for once and take a few lashes.

They probably would have, if it was a third person action horror game like the original, rather than a 5 hour light gun game.
There have been 2 successful light gun games on the Wii.
One was a new Resident Evil, which filled in a lot of the story for the series.
The other was House of the Dead 2 & 3, which was sold for $30.

I don't know why developers (especially EA) suddenly think there's this giant market for the genre.

harSon

Banned
Have the newer PSP's or PSP Go's been cracked for homebrew yet? If not, do you think that's a big reason for its current sales?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Was this posted yet? Platform breakdown for a couple games, from GameSpot:

Brutal Legend (360) - 150,000 units
Brutal Legend (PS3) - 66,000 units
DJ Hero (360) - 62,000 units
DJ Hero (PS3) - 39,000 units
DJ Hero (Wii) - 19,000 units
DJ Hero (PS2) - 3,300 units

AceBandage said:
They probably would have, if it was a third person action horror game like the original, rather than a 5 hour light gun game.
There have been 2 successful light gun games on the Wii.
One was a new Resident Evil, which filled in a lot of the story for the series.
The other was House of the Dead 2 & 3, which was sold for $30.

I don't know why developers (especially EA) suddenly think there's this giant market for the genre.

Nerf N-Strike and Link's Crossbow Training have also been very successful.

markatisu

Danthrax said:

Jesus, it took 4 releases to get to what a Guitar Hero game sells on one platform

jcm

schuelma said:
When the previous years October is IIRC the HIGHEST NON HOLIDAY MONTH EVER, you have little to go but down. It was beyond any realistic expectations to expect the Wii to significantly outpace the PS2 forever.

That doesn't matter to Bloomberg's readeship, though. Investors want growth. The PS2 was a great seller, but if it winds up being the best selling console ever it will be because the home console market is dying.

In a bubble, the Wii's sales this month look terrific. To an investor, it's a product whose unit sales are shrinking during a price cut. The absolute number is much less important than the trend.

Danthrax said:

Was there a shortage?

This number does NOT fit in with other sales.

(PS2 GH5 sold almost as much as PS3 version)

Danthrax said:
Was this posted yet? Platform breakdown for a couple games, from GameSpot:

Brutal Legend (360) - 150,000 units
Brutal Legend (PS3) - 66,000 units
Ouch for DJ Hero, we are watching the effects of what milking a genre does.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Don't see why the Wii version of DJ Hero would do so poorly, isn't it actually fairly feature comparable with the PS3/360 versions?

Not that any version did well.

Vilix said:
John Riccitello said:
Electronic Arts Inc. Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello, who made developing games for the Nintendo system a priority, said this week that “underperformance of the Wii” is a reason the Redwood City, California-based company may miss its profit forecast for the year.
Boo fucking hoo. If you're going to put all your eggs in a basket with a "hardcore" game try not to make it a full priced spin off in a genre that already has ill will working against it. He should blame himself for choosing such a shortsighted strategy, but we all know it's Wii gamers who are going to suffer the consequences of Extraction's failure.

markatisu

user_nat said:
Don't see why the Wii version of DJ Hero would do so poorly, isn't it actually fairly feature comparable with the PS3/360 versions?

Not that any version did well.

$100+ price tag

If the Wii version is going to sell its going to be at Christmas

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Danthrax said:
RIP my favorite genre. Activision went crazy with the milking and this is where it got us. :'(

Tiktaalik

Ouch Boy and his Blob.

None of my game playing friends even knew about this game. You know its going to end up bad when that happens.

:(

Talon

:enemyglider: said:
LOL @ all the butthurt replies

Not once did I hear about Haze or Lair being a 'PS3 savior'. The PS3 chalkboard was just typical fanboy trolling on GAF.

360 fanboys just got a taste of their own medicine the past few months. They can hope and pray that November will turn the tide around, but even if it evens out in November (or 360 gets a lead), it will only be temporary unless Microsoft continues to pull the $99 Arcade card.

Japan is kicking into high gear, sales wise, amounting to ~120-160k lead over the 360 in that region alone (will be much greater in December when FFXIII releases), in the US the PS3 has a lead of ~70k this month. Wish we had some concrete European numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the PS3 outsold the 360 by over 250k in that region. Overall you're probably looking at half a million more PS3s sold than 360s worldwide in the month of October alone. The best 360 can hope for this holiday season is that it'll beat the PS3 in sales in North America for November and December, but unlike years past if the 360 wins it won't be by a whole lot. PS3 keeping pace with 360 in US = 360 getting crushed worldwide.

PS3 will be catching up incredibly fast to the 360's lead. Unless NATAL saves the 360, there's nothing to really stop the increasing YoY declined for the platform.
Do console wars really mean this much to you, son? This is more depressing than funny.

AniHawk

user_nat said:

And it's really weird considering it was Gametrailers' best Wii game of E309.

markatisu

I assume with that info out we will see a host of articles that talk about how the music genre is dying on the Wii after the heights of GH3 instead of focusing on the fact that DJ Hero as a whole took a big shit

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
creamsugar said:

YESSS!!!!! Thank you, as always, good sir.

This title is a huge success, as it should be.
We're already ahead of King's Field, so I expect at least 3 more with 1 possibly 2 spin offs :lol

AceBandage said:
Was it really good numbers for BL, though?
I mean 200K across three platforms, for the size and effort that went into it?
Yes, it's Scahfer's best selling game, but this was suppose to be his break out game, too.
What data do you have to suggest it's his best selling game? I don't think that's remotely true. Are you referring to a specific period post-launch? His games have certainly sold far more than 200k in the past.

jrricky

Banned
Wow. Forgot today was NPD sales...
schuelma said:
I wonder if the financial guys who know nothing about the game industry and used last month's NPD as proof that Nintendo was doomed will change their tune this month. :lol
I forgot about this...:lol
I NEED TO HERE THEIR UPCOMING PODCAST!

Do you they take questions in there podcasts? Cause I will shoot them one...

Grecco said:
There goes any idea of a Digital download only future for a little bit.

Why would you even want that for at least 10 years?
Download speeds are not good enough (and looking to get worse if Comcast has its way) and storage is still not exactly cheap enough.

jcm

jay said:
I have a question that may sound like an attack but I assure you is not. People are celebrating Demon's Souls selling over 100k. If that's good then I'm happy because it's a great game. In other threads I've seen people argue that (here comes apples to oranges) NMH could have barely made any profit if any because it only sold around 200k in the states.

Is this a case of people being overexcited for Demon's Souls sales, or a case of people being stupid about NMH's sales? I guess I don't really have any concept of what sales are good - I know it all depends on the game but if 200k for an SD game is not great then 100+k for an HD game should be bad.

I don't know if it made any money, but when NMH sold 100K in the US the president of Marvelous sent out a victory press release, and GAF had a 13 page thread about it.

I've never actually understood the economics of these niche games, though. Happily, they continue making them and I continue to enjoy them, but I don't guess anyone is getting rich off of them.

Grecco

AceBandage said:
Why would you even want that for at least 10 years?
Download speeds are not good enough (and looking to get worse if Comcast has its way) and storage is still not exactly cheap enough.

I dont want it. But the flop of the PSP Go will effectively kill any idea of it for the near future.

Yoboman

Death Dealer said:
Supposedly >100k
and it sold more than PS3 Tekken 6
That's very impressive for Demon's Souls. Would that make it Atlus's fastest selling game in America?

Two things I gather from it

1. Horrible move from Atlus by undershipping
2. Horrible move from Sony by choosing to localise White Knight Story over Demon's Souls (which was already localised)

Regulus Tera said:
The music genre existed before Guitar Hero and will surely survive in its comfortable niche after it.
Yeah, I'm referring more to the "music genre" as a Trojan horse to sell shitloads of big ass peripherals with no use outside narrowly defined iterative updates. I don't have any issue with the myriad of different individual rhythm games out there or stuff like the Korg DS-10.

MikeE21286 said:
I always thought one of the hook of putting Black in the game was to expand the game's appeal :?

mlh4ys.jpg

know quite a few people who stayed away from it just because he was in it

Top Bottom