• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Shurs said:
I greatly undershot my estimates for Tekken 6. I thought both versions would chart fairly high this month.

I think most people thought it would do better than 200k combined, especially after SF4 doing so well.

[edit] if that blog is to be believed, that is.

Aw why did enemyglider get banned? He was the funniest thing on GAF in ages. And that creepy e-stalking angle where he was calling out individual posters? Hot.

Yoboman

November NPDs will be real interesting. PS3 has never really risen to the occasion during the Holidays. Last year in November Wii sold 2 million, 360 sold 800k and PS3 a rather embarassing 370k

Let's see how much increased demand and change of opinions will help PS3 when it counts. Or will the industry be down on last year overall? Consoles don't see to be flying off shelves like last year

Yoboman said:
Ban wave is just as likely to invoke PS3 sales, same for Modern Warfare 2. Though I doubt that game will push systems
I wouldn't say it's 'just as likely'. There are peripherals, legitimate software purchases, game progress saves, and Live accounts and community to continue modified console owners' stay with X360. Most people saying that they'd jump platforms over this issue are, IMO, clearly being dumbasses. As well, November looks to be more or less X360's month for software versus PS3 due to MW2 seemingly being heavily favored toward MS' platform based on past MW sales ratios, MW2 preorders and current sales, and L4D2's impending release. As well, the cost of re-entry is only $199 (with the option of reusing the HDD) as opposed to $299 and who knows how much more for connection cables and such for PS3 for that owner. So, yeah, I wouldn't say 'just as likely'.

Rhindle

MightyHedgehog said:
I wouldn't say it's 'just as likely'. There are peripherals, legitimate software purchases, game progress saves, and Live accounts and community to continue modified console owners' stay with X360. Most people saying that they'd jump platforms over this issue are, IMO, clearly being dumbasses. As well, November looks to be more or less X360's month for software versus PS3 due to MW2 seemingly being heavily favored toward MS' platform based on past MW sales ratios, MW2 preorders and current sales, and L4D2's impending release. As well, the cost of re-entry is only $199 (with the option of reusing the HDD) as opposed to $299 and who knows how much more for connection cables and such for PS3 for that owner. So, yeah, I wouldn't say 'just as likely'.
Also, there's the fact that pirates like to buy consoles that they can pirate stuff on.

Shurs

So, what do we think the top 10 will include next month?

Modern Warfare 2 (360)
New Super Mario Bros. (Wii)
Assassin's Creed 2 (360)
Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
Assassin's Creed 2 (PS3)
Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
Mario Kart (DS)
Halo 3 ODST (360)

expy

Banned
Shurs said:

Modern Warfare 2 (360)
Assassin's Creed 2 (360)
Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
Assassin's Creed 2 (PS3)
Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
Mario Kart (DS)
Halo 3 ODST (360)
I'd put GOW Collection above ODST.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Balb said:
The previous GTA games did though.

We just have to accept that the old GTA-style doesn't sell. The GBA game didn't sell well, and neither did Chinatown Wars for DS/PSP.
I wouldn't say that CTW DS didn't sell well, even if it wasn't a big success. Especially when reports were using CTW as their main example regarding mature titles not selling on the system.

Poor A Boy and his Blob, niche market + Majesco = mega bomba. :(

creamsugar said:
Less than GTA.

Jesus Christ. Well at least I brought it.

So much for the traditional 2D graphics and aesthetic revival on consoles. It seems of the trio (Warioland Shake It!, Muramasa, and A Boy and His Blob) Muramasa was the only one that didn't bomb.
It still should have sold more. But than again to be fair we don't know Nintendo's expectations with Wario.

But personally I'm not too surprised. I mean who exactly was this game marketed for? It was based off an ancient franchise that's 2 decades old. Second off the game was terribly marketed. And finally the game didn't really appeal much to the kids outside of the presentation. I mean I don't know about you but puzzle platformers with excruciating hard difficulty isn't what is really in with the kids these days.

Maybe people were right. Maybe Wayforward is the new Treasure. They make great games but they sell like shit.

This may sound very selfish but at least the game will become rare so I can sell my used copy for an assload of money in a year or two.

Puck

Banned
Borderlands was quite popular here on Steam in AU. Everyone who had the PC version bought it on Steam, i would be inclined to believe retail sales for the PC version everywhere would have been poor given it was cheap and convenient on Steam.

To me, Borderlands won't have legs. I got over it very quickly, i reckon most of those 360 sales will be going back for trade ins / resale, word of mouth worked for it, but it will also work against it with people tiring and getting over it quite rapidly.

Chrange

Banned
chubigans said:
But don't you need a specific type of Xbox to use pirated games on? Someone mentioned in the other thread that the DVD drive has new firmware or something.

So that would mean they'd deal in the used market instead of going to Target and buying one or something.

Really? You think a pirate, who probably just sold his banned 360 on the used market, is going to pick one up used?

On DJ Hero's performance: It released, like Forza 3 and R&C:CiT, on Oct 27. These sales represent less than a week at market. Not everyone buys games they want or plan to get in the first week, especially if they are intended as gifts (not to mention that music games are expected to sustain sales during the xmas shopping period, at least according to NPD analysts).

Yoboman

MightyHedgehog said:
Banned console requires the repurchase of Live on top of the whole console, and who's to say these pirates are all getting back in to jump on a whole new pirated console? Judging by how "banned 360 with games" ads flew up all over Craigslist I wouldn't be surprised if many are just cutting their losses or moving to a new system or coming back to be legit.

Sales ratios have been shrinking universally, they shrunk with World at War and probably going to shrink even more with a ban wave, Sony riding their hype wave and the fact that MW2 is just as big of a title for PS3 as it is for 360.

I'll give you Left 4 Dead 2 though

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Flying_Phoenix said:
Jesus Christ. Well at least I brought it.

So much for the traditional 2D graphics and aesthetic revival on consoles. It seems of the trio (Warioland Shake It!, Muramasa, and A Boy and His Blob) Muramasa was the only one that didn't bomb.
It still should have sold more. But than again to be fair we don't know Nintendo's expectations with Wario.

But personally I'm not too surprised. I mean who exactly was this game marketed for? It was based off an ancient franchise that's 2 decades old. Second off the game was terribly marketed. And finally the game didn't really appeal much to the kids outside of the presentation. I mean I don't know about you but puzzle platformers with excruciating hard difficulty isn't what is really in with the kids these days.

...It's excruciatingly hard? Blegh. I was thinking about picking it up but I don't want to keep GameFAQs on hand to beat it.

Dreohboy

WickedLaharl said:
it seems like nothing sony does will reinvigorate psp sales.

I love my PS3 and the Sony 52W5100 I'm getting for Xmas, but really...why would I get a PSP instead of an iPod Touch? Especially if mobile gaming isn't REALLY what I spend a lot of time doing?

The Apple iPhone/Touch made the PSP a 'me' console. It's got some good games, but for that price you can do something that does a lot more than game.

jrricky

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
No, the original was funny because it was relevant and had a point about what fanboys were saying at the time. Your looks like it was written by a bunch of manatees.
This.
:lol ROFL

Just left for a bit and came back....this thread is amazing.

Shurs

expy said:
I'd put GOW Collection above ODST.

It certainly could make the top ten. I have it pre-ordered. I just figured that there are some kids that only get games during christmas and on their birthdays. I figured the few kids who didn't ask for Modern Warfare 2 might ask for Halo.

ZeoVGM

Banned
DR2K said:
I'm pretty sure Sony didn't expect to Go to fly off the shelves. Not with the way they've handled it.

What a silly thing to say. Sony didn't expect the Go to fly off the shelves given the way they've handled it?

Uh, so then why didn't they handle it differently if they knew the way they were "handling" it was bad.

It's just that no one wants a PSP Go. It had no chance of selling well because it's a last ditch effort to try something new and spike life into a console at the end of its run.

I'm wondering what effect the ban wave will have though.

You don't think MW2 is going to push hardware at all yet you think the ban wave would somehow affect sales? That's not going to be a blip in NPD.

Salmonax said:
Damn - does this mean the franchise is DOA? Either way, it's certain that the music genre is truly dying.

Those aren't great sales at all but Activision has already said in response to low sales that they see the series as one that will grow over time.

So no, thankfully it's not DOA.

Curious to see the final sales once the obvious price drops come.

DaveTheSnake said:
Ratchet came out on October 27, so it had 5 days. Great numbers for Uncharted. Sony announced today that it has sold over a million copies since it has come out. Is anyone surprised at no Forza? I certainly am not.

Valru said:
FORZA MOTORSPORT 3 (360; Oct-09) 175,000

OCTOBER 27 5 DAYS! :lol

This was some GREAT owning and not enough people gave Valru props for it. :lol

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
On DJ Hero's performance: It released, like Forza 3 and R&C:CiT, on Oct 27.
But Forza 3 did 170K on a single platform. DJ Hero did 120K on four platforms.

DJ Hero will sell more . . . but I don't think saying that it underperformed is off base.

Danthrax said:
...It's excruciatingly hard? Blegh. I was thinking about picking it up but I don't want to keep GameFAQs on hand to beat it.

Not hard as in "how do I solve this puzzle?" hard. But hard as in "Jesus Christ way do I keep dying!" or "My God why do I have to do this puzzle just like this."

So far I've only been confused with one puzzle (and that turned out to be a common error, and I'm pretty much at the end of the game) but I do at times feel fatigue at how (for the lack of better word) "accurate" you need to do everything. It's hard to explain, you'll see what I mean when you play the game. Don't fear to pick it up, it's great.

jcm said:
I don't know if it made any money, but when NMH sold 100K in the US the president of Marvelous sent out a victory press release, and GAF had a 13 page thread about it.

I've never actually understood the economics of these niche games, though. Happily, they continue making them and I continue to enjoy them, but I don't guess anyone is getting rich off of them.

Anyone who even hinted at No More Heroes not making a profit is a complete idiot. Marvelous themselves raved on how amazingly well the game sold and it spawned Grasshoppers first ever sequel.

The economics of niche games is the fact that they are geared toward a very specific audience that is very likely to buy your game. The problem with this is that this audience is very small so obvious you can't spend too much money on the game. However if you keep the cost down while still appealing to that specific audience you're pretty much guaranteed to pull in the finances you want.

For an example think of your usual AA budgeted First Person Shooter. Yes it has wide appeal, yes it will probably sell at least X amount of copies. However in order to draw in that market you will have to spend at least X amount of dollars in order to even turn some of the heads of your target market as they tend to be uneducated about most games and rarely look up games themselves. Compare and contrast this to most niche games. Yes your usual NIS strategy RPG affair definitely won't light up the charts, but it will appeal to a small yet very active userbase which will lead to very predictable sales.

In short it works by targeting a small predictable market by keeping cost way down. The markets much more predictable but you don't make too much cash as game sales are so small. Of course when a game bombs it isn't good, but usually the games were so cheap to begin with the developer/publisher will usually still be able to float. And if your game is a success than you pull in big cash. However you can rarely expand as a company by doing this. And while bombas may only take away a bit of cash, you're still a small company so you don't have much cash to begin with.

Muramasa has so far sold less than 100k world-wide, yet it's considered at expectations and Vanillaware is even developing their next (2D) game already. A Boy and His Blob bombed atrociously yet the game wasn't very expensive to create anyway (Toon Boom animated sprites, reuse of assets, etc.) And No More Heroes probably made a profit after the game past 50k.

DR2K

Banned
omg rite said:
What a silly thing to say. Sony didn't expect the Go to fly off the shelves given the way they've handled it?

Uh, so then why didn't they handle it differently if they knew the way they were "handling" it was bad.

It's just that no one wants a PSP Go. It had no chance of selling well because it's a last ditch effort to try something new and spike life into a console at the end of its run.

Price is the biggest factor. If Sony launched it at 149.99, allowed for BC, put some god damn games on their store, etc. . . there's no way it would have failed. Testing the waters, more than likely is why Sony handled it the way they did.

Shurs said:

Modern Warfare 2 (360)
Assassin's Creed 2 (360)
Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
Assassin's Creed 2 (PS3)
Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
Mario Kart (DS)
Halo 3 ODST (360)
UC2 will probably chart again.

speculawyer said:
But Forza 3 did 170K on a single platform. DJ Hero did 120K on four platforms.

DJ Hero will sell more . . . but I don't think saying that it underperformed is off base.
I think you're right, but certainly a non-core genre title "underperforming" during 5 days of saleability, especially if it is expected to maintain some degree of sales over the holiday shopping period, might not yet warrant the "bomba" and "failure" labels attached it here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
templeusox said:
UC2 will probably chart again.

With two MW and NSMB and at least one AC2 guaranteed?

Maybe. I bet Wii Fit Plus makes it, and maybe Resort, depending on the black friday sales. That's seven. What else comes out in November?

ZeoVGM

Banned
DR2K said:
Price is the biggest factor. If Sony launched it at 149.99, allowed for BC, put some god damn games on their store, etc. . . there's no way it would have failed.

"If the PSP Go was a cheaper PSP, it would not have failed."

Well, yeah.

Shurs

Man God said:
With two MW and NSMB and at least one AC2 guaranteed?

Maybe. I bet Wii Fit Plus makes it, and maybe Resort, depending on the black friday sales. That's seven. What else comes out in November?

I'd say that both versions Assassin's Creed 2 are a lock. The first sold really well on the PS3. Plus, I think commercials will have the PS3 tag at the end,.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Wario Land sold waaaayyyy more copies than Muramasa will ever sniff in its lifetime.

ZeoVGM

Banned
MattyGrovesOrMe said:
I think you're right, but certainly a non-core genre title "underperforming" during 5 days of saleability, especially if it is expected to maintain some degree of sales over the holiday shopping period, might not yet warrant the "bomba" and "failure" labels attached it here.

Forza 3, Ratchet, DJ Hero. None of them are at a point where they can be called "bombs" yet. So many people here feel the need to reach exaggerated final conclusions based on 5 days of being in stores.

Perhaps Ratchet is a game that sells well over time? DJ Hero sales definitely aren't good but could they continue over time with the obvious price cuts that are coming, making Activision learn the lesson that they shouldn't screw over great games by pricing them too high?

The answer to the second question is no, by the way. It's Activision. But hey, Ratchet could still do well!

Magni

Why For? said:
So true.

As to Forza, I truly believe that Forza and GT live or die by their graphics. Because to be honest, I've never liked either of them. Because they play pretty much the same.

I bought Forza 1, skipped 2 and will most likely skip 3. I'm buying GT5 just to look at it.

If Turn 10 put more effort into the graphics, I honestly believe the series would sell better.

It's amazing how little difference there is between Forza 2 and 3 visually.

Looks like there'll be no Forza 4 then.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha*pauses to breathe*hahahahahahahahahaha

Nicely donce ND and Gearbox, though I'm already waiting to see next month's :D

nincompoop said:
Wario Land sold waaaayyyy more copies than Muramasa will ever sniff in its lifetime.

I said "expectations" for a reason. Warioland sold over a 250,000 copies (150,000 in America and a bit over 100,000 in Japan, not sure about PAL land). While it most likely made a profit (2D platformers are usually pretty cheap to make) we aren't sure of Nintendo's expectations for the game. Judging from Nintendo's usual outlook and habits I'd say it most likely didn't meet them.

EXGN

Shurs said:
I'd say that both versions Assassin's Creed 2 are a lock. The first sold really well on the PS3. Plus, I think commercials will have the PS3 tag at the end,.

Yea, Sony is marketing Assassin's Creed, and has the AC2:AC PSP connectivity, amongst other little goodies. I'd bet the PS3/360 versions are REALLY close, within 20,000 or less. I'm expecting a Batman kinda ratio here.

omg rite said:
Forza 3, Ratchet, DJ Hero. None of them are at a point where they can be called "bombs" yet. So many people here feel the need to reach exaggerated final conclusions based on 5 days of being in stores.
Forza outsold the newest GT. Mission Accomplished.

creamsugar said:

So awesome, makes you wonder why they don't release the game in EU, over 100k in the US and in JP, pretty successful for a title with little to no advertising.

Anyways, I think the 360 will outsell the PS3 in November because:

1) Arcade $199 with 100 gift card at walmart and amazon
2) A shitload (1 million?) XBL accounts were banned
3) MW2 bundle

Flying_Phoenix said:
I said "expectations" for a reason. Warioland sold over a 250,000 copies (150,000 in America and a bit over 100,000 in Japan, not sure about PAL land). While it most likely made a profit (2D platformers are usually pretty cheap to make) we aren't sure of Nintendo's expectations for the game. Judging from Nintendo's usual outlook and habits I'd say it most likely didn't meet them.
It doesn't make sense to use expectations as the sole factor for determining whether or not they bomba'd when you have no idea what their expectations were, though.

Yoboman

omg rite said:
:lol

Wrong.
It probably would've sold better if it had more than one Tiesto song, one Prydz song... Filled with actual DJs and house, trance music... You know appeal to the fanbase it could sell to. Instead it's full of Gwen Stefani and Rihanna

The mixes sound crap too like the Queen vs. Daft Punk travesty

...Sorry, rant over

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Flying_Phoenix said:

With the amount of hand-drawn animation it had, I doubt this.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I Push Fat Kids said:
Any numbers on:

Dead Space Extraction
Spyborgs
Muramasa
Cursed Mountain
Ju On
Boy and His Blob

?
A Boy and His Blob sold less than 10,000 copies. Everything else, we have no idea.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yoboman said:
It probably would've sold better if it had more than one Tiesto song, one Prydz song... Filled with actual DJs and house, trance music... You know appeal to the fanbase it could sell to. Instead it's full of Gwen Stefani and Rihanna

And the game is fucking great and fun. Your point?

And no, there was no chance of it selling better if it had someone named Prydz rather than Rihanna. They didn't make the game for pretentious trance fans. You do realize there is more to DJing than house and trance, right?

legend166

Andrex said:
So why are people saying DJ Hero bombed? I think it's done OK for a new peripheral+game. GH wasn't a blip until word of mouth spread, which is happening for DJ Hero.

And this coming from someone who hasn't bought and has no intention to buy DJ Hero or any of its sequels.

Well, let's look at the differences:

Guitar Hero

- Unknown franchise
- Small budget
- No marketing
- Unproven genre
- Published by small, independent publisher

DJ Hero
- Spin off of hugely successful franchise
- Big budget game
- Big marketing push involving massive music stars (Jay-Z, Eminem)
- Everyone knows and understands 'plastic instrument' games
- Published by largest third party publisher in the world

It's a bomba.

Yoboman

omg rite said:
And the game is fucking great and fun. Your point?

And no, there was no chance of it selling better if it had someone named Prydz rather than Rihanna. They didn't make the game for pretentious trance fans. You do realize there is more to DJing than house and trance, right?
Nah I just think that's the majority now

I understand the tracks, I just think it sounds bad (not necessarily cause of it being Rihanna or BEP. They are fairly easy to mix, I just don't think they did a good job of it)... And it has way too much of a hip hop influence for my taste

Top Bottom