• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Zen

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
That did around 800k

That is a interesting point though, that Sony has never had a title break 1 million+ in its debut month according to the NPD. Pretty surprising since it goes back to the days of the Playstation and they've had several multi million selling titles. I guess none of them were front loaded though.

I think it was 910k actually, but yeah that is surprising. I figured Gran Turismo would have.

chubigans said:
There is nooooooooooo way the Uncharted franchise is a match for Halo, GTA, Madden, or Resident Evil in terms of awareness. None. That's a fairly bad comparison.

Just some comparisons with titles outside of the super big time "awareness" bubble.

The multiplatform game Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on 360 alone sold 752.3k in it's first month on sale... in March actually, outside of the holiday. In that exact same month btw... the multiplatform game Army of Two on 360 alone sold 606.1K

Edit, this was March 08 so userbase of the 360 would have been the same if not less than the current userbase of the PS3.

Opiate said:
I think it's a variety of things, starting with a misunderstanding of the audience, to poor budgeting, to a consistent trend of putting all of the best teams and largest franchises on the PS3/360 instead of the Wii.

Can you go in to detail about number 1 -- how would this affect third party sales in particular? If the suggestion is that casual gamers don't buy games, then why do Nintendo's own first party efforts continue to sell well?

As for number 2, why didn't this problem (word of mouth) affect the PS2 in the way that it has affected the Wii? In theory, the PS2 had no more "word of mouth" than the Wii does, assuming your example is XBL friends list, which is what I'm sure you're talking about here.

Great responses man sorry for the late reply I was gone most of the day.

To clarify my number 1 position I mean basically that I believe most of the people that bought a Wii are casual gamers or not gamers at all. I think the hardcore make up a very small percentage when compared to the whole demographic that purchases the Wii. A perfect example is wii fit itself. I have numerous friends and acquaintances that are not gamers in any shape or form that bought a Wii for Wii sports and Wii fit and that's it(though they rarely play either). The other half of the demographic bought the Wii for the purposes of entertaining friends. These are the same people that buy all the latest board games at Starbucks and have a karaoke machine. So the majority of that demographic don't know about Dead Space, Madworld or anything else however, these same people a lot of times have kids and the only brand loyalty kids have with the Wii is Mario, Pokemon, and Smash Brothers. Hence anytime a new Nintendo game like that is on the horizon the parents are quickly notified.

The contrast with the PS2 and PS3 for that matter is that Sony markets their systems not as just a game machine but a complete media hub. That's why when you go to the AVS forum and talk to all the guys using the PS3 for a blu ray player and media server most of them have never heard of Uncharted 2. PS3 games sell exactly like PS2 games sold. They have decent front sales and usually have long legs because of word of mouth. I remember I didn't even hear about God of War 1 till it had been out for 8 months and I saw it at a friends house.

Anyways that was quite the ramble but that's what I think.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Kusagari said:
There's ads for it on t.v.? I've seen absolutely zero. I just see the Gay Tony ad a million times.

SHE'S GOT THE LOOK
i love you johnny
SHE'S GOT THE LOOOOOOK

[edit] for the new page:

1) UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES (PS3) 537,000
2) WII FIT PLUS (WII) 441,000
3) BORDERLANDS (360) 418,000
4) WII SPORTS RESORT (WII) 314,000
5) NBA 2K10 (360) 311,000
6) HALO 3: ODST (360) 271,000
7) NBA 2K10 (PS3) 213,000
8) FORZA MOTORSPORT 3 (360) 175,000
9) KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS (NDS) 169,000
10) FIFA SOCCER 10 (360) 156,000
11) DEMONS SOULS (PS3) 150,000 — 156,000
12) BRUTAL LEGEND (360) 150,000
13) FIFA SOCCER 10 (PS3) 113,000 — 150,000
14) MARIO & LUIGI: BOWSER'S INS. STORY (NDS) 113,000 — 150,000
15) WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2010 (360) 113,000 — 150,000
16) TEKKEN 6 (PS3) 113,000 — 150,000 (probably 120k)
17) BORDERLANDS (PS3) 113,000
18) MADDEN NFL 10 (360) 85,000 — 113,000
19) POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: EOS (NDS) 85,000 — 113,000
20) MARIO KART W/ WHEEL (WII) 85,000 — 113,000
RATCHET AND CLANK (PS3) 85,000 — 113,000
TEKKEN 6 (360) 50,000 — 85,000 (probably 80k)
BRUTAL LEGEND (PS3) 66,000
DJ HERO (360) 62,000
GTA: EPISODES FROM LIBERTY CITY (360) 57,000
DJ HERO (PS3) 39,000
DJ HERO (WII) 19,000
BORDERLANDS (PC) 15,000
GTA CHINATOWN WARS (PSP) <10,000
A BOY AND HIS BLOB (WII) <10,000 (less than GTA)
DJ HERO (PS2) 3,300

other random data:

NBA LIVE 10 (PS3, 360) 141,000
GUITAR HERO 5 (360, PS3, WII, PS2) 81,000
NBA 2K10 (PS2, PSP, WII, PC) 51,000

Another realization hit me . . . No The Beatles: Rock Band in the Top 20? Granted, it was released early in September, I thought it would have enough legs to make the Top 20 in its second month.

But then again, the original fans of the Beatles are what . . . in their 60s & 70s?

percephone

Neo Member
Jokeropia said:
Well, it did prompt me to track down a pretty interesting stat. Since we got the total January to September sales up there, and we got the top ten for all these months I decided to calculate how much of the total sales this year that were contained within the monthly top tens. (Approximately at least.)

The result was slightly less than 17%. That is, sales outside the monthly top ten has made up roughly 83% of all sales so far this year. (Through September.)

I hope this will stop people from trying to draw conclusions about the overall state of software sales on a particular platform based only on the monthly charts we get from NPD.

Last month, we had some LTD sales of total software for all 3 platform and my calculation then showed me that one owner of a console roughly buy one games per 5 months in the USA.

Using attach rate and time on market it comes down to this.

Attach Rate used

* PS3: 6.75 (35 months)
* Wii: 6.49 (35 months)
* 360: 8.8 (47 months)

Using attach rate and time in market, we can evaluate the time it takes for each console's owner to buy one game. ( Time on market / attach rate)

One game every:

* PS3: 5.18 Months
* Wii: 5.39 Months
* 360: 5.34 Months

percephone said:
Last month, we had some LTD sales of total software for all 3 platform and my calculation then showed me that one owner of a console roughly buy one games per 5 months in the USA.

Using attach rate and time on market it comes down to this.

Attach Rate used

* PS3: 6.75 (35 months)
* Wii: 6.49 (35 months)
* 360: 8.8 (47 months)

Using attach rate and time in market, we can evaluate the time it takes for each console's owner to buy one game. ( Time on market / attach rate)

One game every:

* PS3: 5.18 Months
* Wii: 5.39 Months
* 360: 5.34 Months

That's not how it works.

DMeisterJ

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Just some comparisons with titles outside of the super big time "awareness" bubble.

The multiplatform game Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on 360 alone sold 752.3k in it's first month on sale... in March actually, outside of the holiday. In that exact same month btw... the multiplatform game Army of Two on 360 alone sold 606.1K

Edit, this was March 08 so userbase of the 360 would have been the same if not less than the current userbase of the PS3.

Both of those (along with a majority of releases most months) are flavor of the month.

R6 Vegas 2 sold under 140k it's second month down from 752k, and in AoT's case, it didn't even chart in the top 20 the next month. The 360's social aspect to gaming means that the same people buy these games every month and then throw them away (not literally) when the new hotness comes to town. Not the case with multi-player games on the PS3. Killzone charted and did the same numbers it's first two months, and to this day still has 80k people/week playing down from the high of 500k at release. That's good for a game that is 8 months old, and been through Resident Evil 5, and now Uncharted. We'll see what the future holds with it and MW2, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that either AoT or RSV were being played 8 months after launch. I'm pretty sure Halo 3 stopped that from happening. Also, inFAMOUS went up sales in it's second month which is rather unprecedented for the HD twins, and LBP managed to hold onto a large chunk of sales for it's second month even with the launch of Resistance 2 and W@W.

Borderlands will also suffer the same fate. Everyone is playing MW2 so that's where all the money will go this month. Easily.

Not that it's anything wrong with a 'Flavor of the month' mentality. As long as it sells good, who cares, but we're just talking about why 360 games sell 'more' in opening months, and it's all down to the social aspect. These flavor of the month games never have staying power, and in a few months, Borderlands will be a figment of many people's imagination.

Mets39

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah I was just about to say the same thing. Great news for Insomniac.

I'm not too sure, but i think TOD sold 32k in October 2007 so yeah big improvement and Ratchet games are usually slow burner so all is well

Linkup

perfectchaos007 said:
Ouch @ DJ hero. And I'm glad Chinatown Wars bombed harder on PSP than DS. It obviously didn't fail at first because it was on a Nintendo system. But I guess lack of Advertising for the PSP version could have had an effect on that too.

In contrast ads did little to help GT PSP though so who knows how much it would have helped here.

DMeisterJ said:
Both of those (along with a majority of releases most months) are flavor of the month.

R6 Vegas 2 sold under 140k it's second month down from 752k, and in AoT's case, it didn't even chart in the top 20 the next month. The 360's social aspect to gaming means that the same people buy these games every month and then throw them away (not literally) when the new hotness comes to town. Not the case with multi-player games on the PS3. Killzone charted and did the same numbers it's first two months, and to this day still has 80k people/week playing down from the high of 500k at release. That's good for a game that is 8 months old, and been through Resident Evil 5, and now Uncharted. We'll see what the future holds with it and MW2, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that either AoT or RSV were being played 8 months after launch. I'm pretty sure Halo 3 stopped that from happening. Also, inFAMOUS went up sales in it's second month which is rather unprecedented for the HD twins, and LBP managed to hold onto a large chunk of sales for it's second month even with the launch of Resistance 2 and W@W.

Borderlands will also suffer the same fate. Everyone is playing MW2 so that's where all the money will go this month. Easily.

Not that it's anything wrong with a 'Flavor of the month' mentality. As long as it sells good, who cares, but we're just talking about why 360 games sell 'more' in opening months, and it's all down to the social aspect. These flavor of the month games never have staying power, and in a few months, Borderlands will be a figment of many people's imagination.

Are you really trying to use Killzone 2 as example of strong sales on the PS3?

That game would have sold 2 million first month on the 360, had MS been behind it.

Edit : And what about MGS4? Sold about 750 thousand first month, failed to chart any month after. And that came out in the summer, a period that is typically without any other big releases.

Liara T'Soni said:

That game would have sold 2 million first month on the 360, had MS been behind it.

Edit : And what about MGS4? Sold about 750 thousand first month, failed to chart any month after. And that came out in the summer, a period that is typically without any other big releases.

Its true Microsoft are the absolute kings of marketing. I have to wonder though if in the end it all evens out. I mean once you have spent the 40 million on marketing to ensure your game is consistently on the charts and in the mind share of gamers when everything is said in done does the developer come away with enough of a surplus to justify that kind of money?

The only reason I wonder is that Sony has had plenty of opportunities since the PSOne to go absolute ludicrous with their marketing but it has never been a part of their strategy. There has to be a monetary reason for that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vargas said:
No it isn't. The game has probably the worst setlist of any music game out there.

I liked about half the setlist but it's subjective. If you didn't like it you could import half of Smash Hits or World Tour's songs. The gameplay improvements were fantastic.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Its true Microsoft are the absolute kings of marketing. I have to wonder though if in the end it all evens out. I mean once you have spent the 50 million on marketing to ensure your game is consistently on the charts and in the mind share of gamers when everything is said in done does the developer come away with enough of a surplus to justify that kind of money?

The only reason I wonder is that Sony has had plenty of opportunities since the PSOne to go absolute ludicrous with their marketing but it has never been a part of their strategy. There has to be a monetary reason for that.

I know this is the NPD thread but holy shit there's a lot of 360 related game ads on UK TV right now, I saw three in one ad break tonight all advertising a different game with the 360 hardware and price displayed at the end.

Liara T'Soni said:

Killzone 2 deserved much better sales, but I don't know if it would've done 2 million first month on 360 alone, that's Halo territory.

I'm scared to ask but will anyways, anyone knows how Gran Turismo and Motorstorm PSP did?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
elrechazao said:
How exactly is demons souls an amazing seller at sub 150k? loweredexpecations.gif?
Depends on how you take it.

One of the fans of Sony hyping it up as one of the big console releases for the holiday season. Then sure.

Or a fan of good, hardcore RPGs, and Atlus love. Then absolutely it is an amazing seller. Sold more than most of their games will do in their lifetime. Hopefully it means more to come.

szaromir

Banned
Opiate said:
Outside of a very small subset of scientific laws (such as gravity -- I chose the example above purely because of its uncontested simplicity), no pattern is absolute.
Except that there are no absolute scientific laws. And gravity isn't exactly "uncontestedly simple", unless you know something the rest of the world doesn't - please share with us, Nobel prize awaits.

ZeoVGM

Banned
speculawyer said:
Someone can add this to the list of known NPD data:

Pretty weak.

Edit: Damn . . . beat to the punch.

It literally says "despite being on sale for three days" in what you quoted, yet you still said it's "pretty weak"?

It's an expansion pack, half of which has been available to download for months. And you think those three-day sales are weak?

ZeoVGM

Banned
velvet_nitemare said:
It would seem even Atlus underestimated Demon's Souls by undershipping, going by anecdotal evidence from people who had a hard time finding it.

That's absolutely true. They didn't send out many and it sold out quickly.

jett

D-Member
Amazing numbers for Demon's Souls, it has already outsold its japanese counterpart, which is quite a feat for an uberhardcore jrpg.

soldat7

Danthrax said:
11) DEMONS SOULS (PS3) 150,000 — 156,000

e63dix.gif

elrechazao said:
How exactly is demons souls an amazing seller at sub 150k? loweredexpecations.gif?

1) Chance for a sequel
2) Atlus completely sold out of their first print. Spawned a second print.
3) 150,000-156,000 all playing the GOTY at once. <3

Kusagari

elrechazao said:

It's a niche hardcore Japanese RPG released by a small publisher with absolutely zero advertising.

Top Bottom