• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

GamerJM

Banned
Here's your top 10

I'm wagering that Smash Bros. selling about 60% of the Wii U opening month will still be enough to put it over the Halo remakes. I also forget if NPD counts Pokémon as a single SKU. If not, it probably won't chart. I think GTA is actually going to hurt both Assassin's Creed and Far Cry, too much open world overlap.

Edit: Bah, forgot AC: Rogue. It will certainly beat out Destiny for the last spot.

I'd switch Pokemon and Smash Bros. and make 360 the leading SKU on Call of Duty.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It boggles me how some people in this thread are not comprehending why NPD is keeping information close to the chest and why Aqua, Cream, and others are so secretive about posting it. In reality, too many posters on this forum are teenagers and young adults with a ridiculous sense of entitlement and just overall shitlords wanting information so they can run back to /v/, N4G, Reddit, GameFAQs, etc. and post numbers over there. My opinion? Cream and Aqua shouldn't post numbers ever again. Maybe when people stop acting like children over information that they have no business even knowing, maybe we can have it again.

Is the only hope for production value expectations to be deflated at the AAA+ level to allow "middle class" games room to compete on budget? If things like Unity and Battlefield 4 keep setting precedents of being AAA technical dumpster fires, could there be room for "middle class" games to gain a foothold again?

Don't look at the NPD results as though they reflect the reality of the market.

There's a ton of room for mid-tier. It's just being done digitally at lower price points.

But the days of $60, disc based, low dev budget games that sell is long gone.

Edit: What Nirolak said, much more eloquently of course.

Kill3r7

And Driveclub has PS+ digitial discount version which most people bought.

It was 5th on PS Stores top sellers October 2014 for PS4 http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/11/07/playstation-stores-top-sellers-october-2014/

PS4 Games
1 Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Legion Edition
2 NBA 2K15
3 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
4 THE EVIL WITHIN
5 DRIVECLUB
6 The Legend of Korra
7 Destiny
8 Outlast
9 FIFA 15
10 Alien Isolation
11 Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
12 Lords of the Fallen
13 Madden NFL 15
14 inFAMOUS First Light
15 The Last Of Us Remastered
16 Peggle 2
17 METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
18 Nidhogg
19 Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – Ultimate Evil Edition
20 Surgeon Simulator: A&E Anniversary Edition

Not sure if Insomniac is going to be able to rebound from this. They really pushed SO as their magnum opus but it just didn't strike a chord with the general audience. Not surprised really. It was hyped to all hell around here but I never saw anything special.

Well, thankfully, SO is now out and many people here can validate that the game is, in fact, special. Insomniac will be fine and the game still has a chance at a sequel from MS.

duessano

It boggles me how some people in this thread are not comprehending why NPD is keeping information close to the chest and why Aqua, Cream, and others are so secretive about posting it. In reality, too many posters on this forum are teenagers and young adults with a ridiculous sense of entitlement and just overall shitlords wanting information so they can run back to /v/, N4G, Reddit, GameFAQs, etc. and post numbers over there. My opinion? Cream and Aqua shouldn't post numbers ever again. Maybe when people stop acting like children over information that they have no business even knowing, maybe we can have it again.

Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

It was 5th on PS Stores top sellers October 2014 for PS4 http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/11/07/playstation-stores-top-sellers-october-2014/

PS4 Games
1 Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Legion Edition
2 NBA 2K15
3 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
4 THE EVIL WITHIN
5 DRIVECLUB
6 The Legend of Korra
7 Destiny
8 Outlast
9 FIFA 15
10 Alien Isolation
11 Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
12 Lords of the Fallen
13 Madden NFL 15
14 inFAMOUS First Light
15 The Last Of Us Remastered
16 Peggle 2
17 METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
18 Nidhogg
19 Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – Ultimate Evil Edition
20 Surgeon Simulator: A&E Anniversary Edition

Like I guessed. It "tanked so hard!111" I have no idea if Sunset Overdrive had strong digital sales as well, but at least it had that limited bundle and people are saying it would be 9th. Now we need to figure out how many digital copies Driveclub sold.

ethomaz

Banned
Acording to PS4 Blog it has shipped 13.5MM i was expecting a little bit more...

so the console is getting a slow momentum...
13.5MM sipped as of September 30 is getting a slow moment?

No console ever did that... the closest one was Wii with 13.17MM for the same period.

Well they say in the graphic first year, if they didn't shipped more consoles, ps4 sales are really slow right now...
lol what nonsense.

Elios83

Those are shipments until the end of September (the figure is taken from the fiscal report), with PS3 they shipped more than 6m units in the peak years during the October to December quarter so there's a good chance they'll reach 20m units shipped by the end of the year, which is pretty much a record breaking success for a first year.

While we lack PS4 and Xbox One numbers, there is something we know.
It's this

Way back in this thread, shinra-bansho made some estimates based on this

That "over 75%" is a typo; he probably meant "over 70%".

This is our range. For comparison, PS4 + Xbox One sold 822,000 in September, when combined.
Remember, though, that September saw some important initiatives (PS4 + Destiny, free game with Xbox One, Destiny itself). Plus, it was a 5-weeks-month (while October is a 4-weeks-month).

Wouldn't cumulative sales mean YTD, not just October?

Which essentially means nothing?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Now we need to figure out how many digital copies Driveclub sold.

The fact that it was 10 bucks cheaper digitally for anyone with Plus (and who buys this online focused game without Plus?) likely led to way more digital purchases than the usual split for big releases.

Game is great, btw.

I feel like the Sunset doom and gloom n this thread is ridiculously too soon. I believe word of mouth, worldwide,digital and bundles sells next month will surprise people.

But don't listen to me, I'm actually happy about the thought of over 100,000 people playing Bayo 2. Though I haven't played it yet, loved the first game.

I wonder what expectations are for these games. To me 500,000 people playing Sunset would be great, but I guess we have games that sell 10 mil these days, so I can understand why peoples expectations are where they are. How much does a game need to sell to make its money back.

I still can't wrap my head around why people shat on Aqua, except for being lazy fucks.

Sorry guys for bringing this up again, but whining over a free service will always turn out bad...holy shit. At the very, very least they apologized...

Hope you're fine, Aqua. :(

I presented my opinion in a civil discourse, no one got shatted on. Are you still whining about nothing? I thought a mod told you better.

Guevara

Count me among those surprised Sony didn't update their shipped numbers for the 1 year anniversary. 13.5M (through 9/30) is great! But they have to be closer to 15M now in prep for the holidays.

The fact that it was 10 bucks cheaper digitally for anyone with Plus (and who buys this online focused game without Plus?) likely led to way more digital purchases than the usual split for big releases.

Game is great, btw.

Yep, it is a great game! And this is why people are wrong with their "Driveclub tanked" chanting. Driveclub did well, even Rushy said it. It was just sold digitally, because of the PS+ discount.

Cess007

Count me among those surprised Sony didn't update their shipped numbers for the 1 year anniversary. 13.5M (through 9/30) is great! But they have to be closer to 15M now in prep for the holidays.

I guess they would rather give an old data, than say "15m... shortly" :p

Something tells me the next sales data we will get will be on the PS Event on December.

Elios83

I feel like the Sunset doom and gloom n this thread is ridiculously too soon. I believe word of mouth, worldwide,digital and bundles sells next month will surprise people.

But don't listen to me, I'm actually happy about the thought of over 100,000 people playing Bayo 2. Though I haven't played it yet, loved the first game.

I wonder what expectations are for these games. To me 500,000 people playing Sunset would be great, but I guess we have games that sell 10 mil these days, so I can understand why peoples expectations are where they are. How much does a game need to sell to make its money back.

Truth is in the middle.
Game is probably not a total bomba per se, but it's clearly neither a system seller nor the beginning of a huge new IP for MS in any measure.

Truth is in the middle.
Game is probably not a total bomba per se, but it's clearly neither a system seller nor the beginning of a huge new IP for MS in any measure.
But that doesn't seem right as since the game has launched per Microsofts PR they are selling a ton of systems, plus its bundle on Amazon kept selling out?

And yet the music, movie, and television industry all have visibility and transparency into not just monthly tracking but WEEKLY tracking. All for free and open to the general public. The game industry is a joke.

EGM1966

Can you expand on that? The topic is really interesting :) thanks.

Basically retailers would like to know total market sales data, right? Makes assortment and purchasing decisions easier. They also want a view if they're under or over buying or missing out.

Problem is they only have their own sales data, the total market data is spread across all the other retailers and many of them are probably competitors.

So Nielsen and NPD essentially act as data brokers. They purchase and collate data (often cleansing it so far as I know although I'm less familiar with NPD) then re-sell it to retailers and other groups for whom it has value to know the total market picture (or close to it 'cause yes NPD doesn't cover everything).

For example I was in a meeting with a large UK retailer talking to their electronics buying director and he buys UK data for games, etc for exact same reason: he wants to know how say Watch Dogs sold in total vs how much his department bought and sold and evaluate if they bought well or not for future reference.

Central to this is all the retailers are selling the same thing in this case.

No think about films. If I'm Fox would I really buy data on how Warner's films performed? Does it have much value when the film Fox is making is different, has a different script and different actors?

Sure a little but not very much. Hence in the film industry nobody is trying to make money as a broker for that information and hence it tends to be available without cost and unhidden.

Technically you could argue Fox and Warner don't have to share (haven't looked into that specifically) but the medium has a history aligned with music for charts and allowing public to know what's most popular, etc.

So with games you have the data hidden as it has a value so long as it isn't freely and openly available (hence why Aqua and others were rightly twitchy about people on GAF being too gung ho about re-posting and collating leaked info) whereas the low or zero value data on film performance is freely available via Boxofficemojo and others.

That's the basics as I understand it anyway.

JavaMind

Banned
Don't take me wrong i love PS4, but it is weird they didn't ship any console this 2 last months, since we have blackfriday and holidays...

Elios83

But that doesn't seem right as since the game has launched per Microsofts PR they are selling a ton of systems, plus its bundle on Amazon kept selling out?

Bundle is limited by their own admission and the system has picked up steam because they're giving it away at 350$ with games included, Sunset Overdrive is a non factor.
Btw even if SO will just recoup the investement or make a small profit, spinning this into the end of Insomniac is hyperbolic.

Don't take me wrong i love PS4, but it is weird they didn't ship any console this 2 last months, since we have blackfriday and holidays...

You seem very concerned, espeically for someone that loves PS4. Sony isn't giving the numbers of consoles they plan to ship the next month, like MS. MS was including all the consoles they intend to ship, since they will reach 10 million shortly. Plus, that 13.5 million shipped number was from the end of September/3rd Quarter. They still have their 4th Quarter shipment, you know, the holiday shipment, that the haven't shared yet.

PS4 is going to be around 18 million shipped by the end of this year easily.

jayu26

really_house_of_cards.gif

Elios83

LOL but who said that they have not shipped any console? :D
Are you serious or just trolling?
Sony updates their numbers when new quarterly fiscal results are available, they might announce some sell through figure during their conferences.
So the next update you'll get will be either at Playstation Experience or (more likely) after the holiday season is over, so early January at CES.

Top Bottom