• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

allan-bh

I don't simply because I don't like to acknowledge it's existence. I don't like the idea of someone using what I say to "correct" what they are monetizing. Since that site makes a decent amount of ad revenue off its traffic.

I don't like chartz too. I'm just using a excuse for you put some light about hardware sales.

Miles X

I don't simply because I don't like to acknowledge it's existence. I don't like the idea of someone using what I say to "correct" what they are monetizing. Since that site makes a decent amount of ad revenue off its traffic.

At all possible you can give us any ballpark figures?

At all possible you can give us any ballpark figures?

oliver-twist-007.jpg

BKK

I think he made forecast for his clients as usual, just no news about. Maybe he blocked after last month.

Thanks, maybe no coincidence that happens the same month we lose some other data points. Although whilst based off of knowledge of previous months his forecasts were never particularly accurate.

I don't like chartz too. I'm just using a excuse for you put some light about hardware sales.

Fair enough, but they're not really "VG results" (not quoting you), just ioi's guess. Asking how close Neogaf's average estimate was would be more appropriate (not that I'd expect any more of an answer :p).

Bastables

In the film community it is viewed as one of the best horror films ever made. Game community needs to sort itself out.

EDIT: I blame Fox and Gearbox respectively for mishandling the franchise myself. From interviews the main creative forces behind it had no desire to continue past Aliens and from the point the franchise was shaped by commercial rather than creative forces for the most part. The shame is Alien Idolation is clearly s game shaped primarily by creative forces. It does what's right for the title and almost gleefully ignores commercial design which I love which is why I'm genuinely saddened to see a region fail to support it as well as they could have although it may be a case of the action orientated TEW took more of the available market.
The film community views it as one of the greatest horror movies retrospectively. When Alien was first released critics were pretty scathing3mixed about it, much like the game today.

From Wikipedia
"A review by Time Out said the film was an "empty bag of tricks whose production values and expensive trickery cannot disguise imaginative poverty".[81] In a 1980 episode of Sneak Previews discussing science fiction films of the 1950s and 1970s, critics Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert were critical of Alien. Ebert called it "basically just an intergalactic haunted house thriller set inside a spaceship" and one of several science fiction pictures that were "real disappointments" compared to Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and 2001: A Space Odyssey, though he did compliment the early scene of the Nostromo's crew exploring the alien planet as showing "real imagination".[82]"

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I already offered enough info to go off of with a little analysis. I'm not much of a straight data dumper.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Guys, if you actually want data, you shouldn't continually jab the people giving information.

That's how we got to this point to start with.

Zephyrus

Banned
as much as I appreciate every bit of info you give us, Harker, either dump it or leave it.

What I like(d) about Aqua is that she would straight up tell us.

If you feel you'd get into trouble leave it for this month, but starting next month, find someone who you wouldn't mind sharing and having him(her) do it in your place.

These threads used to be fun because we'd know what the actual numbers were and then do the math ourselves to know how much bullshit some companies were spitting.

leadbelly

Banned
Like I guessed. It "tanked so hard!111" I have no idea if Sunset Overdrive had strong digital sales as well, but at least it had that limited bundle and people are saying it would be 9th. Now we need to figure out how many digital copies Driveclub sold.

Well, it would be interesting to know where it sits in comparison to Forza Horizon 2. That's not in the top 10 either. They were both pretty much October releases. Forza released on 30 September which basically means it was on sale for the whole month of October.

as much as I appreciate every bit of info you give us, Harker, either dump it or leave it.

If you feel you'd get into trouble leave it for this month, but starting next month, find someone who you wouldn't mind sharing and having him(her) do it in your place.

These threads used to be fun because we'd know what the actual numbers were and then do the math ourselves to know how much bullshit some companies were spitting.

Well, here we go again...

Miles X

Guys, if you actually want data, you shouldn't continually jab the people giving information.

That's how we got to this point to start with.

No jabbing, just politely asking, If Harker doesn't wanna give anything that's absolutely fine obviously ...

Edit - Well, not speaking for Zephyrus of course.

Someone needs to step in an challenge the NPD bullshit to break down the barriers.

No point, industry is moving digital. If you take a look at companies recent financials you will see they are seeing big growth in digital and digital now accounts for significant portion of their overall revenue.

2014 Q3 digital share of overall revenue:

Activation Blizzard: 67%
Take-Two: 64%
EA: 51%
Ubisoft: 28%

And this % is only going to go up as mobile/online games/ digital downloads keeps growing. Heavy growth markets like China/Russia opening up for western pubs also helps a lot.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

You do realize there is no actual value in anyone here having this data and that what you get is a privilege right?

It's the people who do it for "fun" that actually confuses me. I love this industry and there are people here who do too and I occosionally like to hel further meaningful discussion with some perspective and insight. I'm not like, playing off other posters who do things differently that you prefer.

Can you honestly be more self absorbed? You were also one of the complainers from last months thread...

Seik

Banned

Holy shit...here we go again!!!

Instead of seeing those hints as mind-fuckers, see them as services. Saying crap like dump it or leave it is the WORST and it's exactly the same thing that happened last month.

That said, I'd like to thank Harker for trying his best to fill the need.

Well, it would be interesting to know where it sits in comparison to Forza Horizon 2. That's not in the top 10 either. They were both pretty much October releases. Forza released on 30 September which basically means it was on sale for the whole month of October.

Forza is one of the Xbox's strongest IPs and they haven't given out any numbers, so my guess is that it sold poorly. Which surprises me a lot.

At least Rushy said that Driveclub sales went over their expectations, so maybe DC sold more than Horizon 2?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

At this point I believe that there are people on this forum that are actively acting in such a way trying to discourage any leaks around here. There is no other logical explanation for this kind of behavior from users that are obviously not stupid.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
At this point I believe that there are people on this forum that are actively acting trying to discourage any leaks around here. There is no other logical explanation for this kind of behavior from users that are obviously not stupid.

At this point I believe that there are people on this forum that are actively acting in such a way trying to discourage any leaks around here. There is no other logical explanation for this kind of behavior from users that are obviously not stupid.

you're all calling him an asshole, but in truth, he's an NPD employee!

/s

What happened to Aqua?
Live, die, repeat.

That question has been answered myriad times by now. Take a moment to read a few pages. It's this kind of stuff that constantly bogs down NPD (and other) threads... 10 posts per page of people wanting to be caught up who can't be arsed to read a few hundred words.

Maybe they are NPD ninjas using clever tactics !

It's hilarious that people are harping for numbers. People can get destroyed for breaking non disclosure clause (regardless of industry). If someone wants to drop hints and not numbers, take it or leave it. It's easy to be a brat when you're not the one who is going to get in trouble but honestly, don't be a brat because it's annoying.

I said it before: there's this oppostion who likes to keep the numbers hidden, because "no numbers means no bad news". Everything can then be regarded as speculation and rumors. We saw this happening last month as well.

...or I need to loosen my tinfoil hat. :)

Petrae

And this is why the leads on data will eventually disappear. Good show.

Wynnebeck

Banned

LOL This is the attitude that caused this whole mess in the first place. Harker, pay no attention to this and thank you for the info you have provided.

Cornbread78

Seriously dude? Go take a couple puffs, exhale and take a shower before you hit the fridge and step back to your keyboard... We ain't entitled to $hit and need to take what we can get, whatever, whenever and however it is fed to us.. Damn entitlement...fack..

You're the one trying to make them even worse with your bullshit demands.

The fuck is wrong with you?

Geez, you'd think after last month, people would grow up. But I guess we're determined to drive away anyone with the slightest bit of information...

Anyway, on the data we do have, I have to say, that Wii U number is brutal. To not be in triple digits in October is the sign of a dying console. Looking at historical sales, any system that didn't hit 100k in October was looking at its last Christmas before being replaced.

That's obviously not the case with the Wii U; it'll still be around next Christmas, and its successor isn't coming soon, but the poor thing is irrelevant. I expected it to do a little better and post a number that says "I'm not dead yet!".

orochi91

I like NPD discussions better when no concrete numbers are involved.

The flow of conversation is more palatable.

With actual numbers, there's too much chaos.

Xbox 360 first Nov-Oct (12 months) - 2892K
PS3 first Nov-Oct (12 Months) - 1979K

Combined - 4871K

"Over 70%" meaning 70-75% puts us at 8280.7K - 8524K. 72.5% being 8402.5K

XBOne LTD through August -3.3M
PS4 LTD through August - 4M

Total - 7.3M

Am I missing something here or did the PS4+XBO have to be combined about a million for October?

bla bla bla.

I wish this would constitute under "thread-shitting"

leadbelly

Banned
Forza is one of the Xbox's strongest IPs and they haven't given out any numbers, so my guess is that it sold poorly. Which surprises me a lot.

At least Rushy said that Driveclub sales went over their expectations, so maybe DC sold more than Horizon 2?

It reviewed fairly well too, which also makes it surprising.

Combined - 4871K

Total - 7.3M

Am I missing something here or did the PS4+XBO have to be combined about a million for October?

You should be using LTD through September if you weren't already.

Kill3r7

Combined - 4871K

Total - 7.3M

HW sales were down (way more than 25%) over September. So definitely not close to a million.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138868993&postcount=2639

Seik

Banned
Anyway, on the data we do have, I have to say, that Wii U number is brutal. To not be in triple digits in October is the sign of a dying console. Looking at historical sales, any system that didn't hit 100k in October was looking at its last Christmas before being replaced.

That's obviously not the case with the Wii U; it'll still be around next Christmas, and its successor isn't coming soon, but the poor thing is irrelevant. I expected it to do a little better and post a number that says "I'm not dead yet!".

I don't know about October, to be honest, but if it doesn't hit the triple digits for Nov/Dec I'll be legit worried.

Dunlop

I remember years ago high profile people in the industry actually posted here until every post they did became a liability so they stopped as there was no upside to it, but at least we still got some insider numbers....

duessano

Sounds like you don't understand what the word appreciation actually means.

Valentus

At this point, data begging and ranting to insiders should be bannable.

Fuck the haters, and fuck the people who says "throw numbers or GTFO". We will get the numbers naturally, there is no need to discourage the leakers.

Zephyrus

Banned
Can you honestly be more self absorbed? You were also one of the complainers from last months thread...

was I?

Strange because I don't recall writing on it... probably because I was banned at that time. But go ahead.

Like I said, I appreciate every bit of info he gives. If he doesn't want to give it, that's his decision too.

However it does annoy me that people dangle bits of info in order to keep people giving them attention. Hence why I wrote what I did.

But since I tend to come out as antagonistic and have several users come at me with pitchforks while having the gaze of some members of the staff who are waiting at every turn to ban me for the slightest thing I do, going so further that I just CAN'T have an opinion about certain subjects no matter how hard I try to explain my views as well as I can, I'll refrain from posting again on this thread and end my presence in it's comments with an apology to John Harker.

Good day to you sirs.

edit: actually I'd just like to point how I get insulted when I give my opinion (post above is a perfect example) and nothing is done to these users. But as soon as I answer their disrespect back, I get punished.

2nd edit: May I remind you that not everyone here has english as their first language. While some words may come as disrespectful to others based on how they're written, it isn't my intention to be disrespectful. To me "dump or leave it" meant give the numbers or just explain that you can't and leave it at that. Frankly... I don't care what they are. Reason why you don't see me writing at all in these threads.

EGM1966

The film community views it as one of the greatest horror movies retrospectively. When Alien was first released critics were pretty scathing3mixed about it, much like the game today.

From Wikipedia
"A review by Time Out said the film was an "empty bag of tricks whose production values and expensive trickery cannot disguise imaginative poverty".[81] In a 1980 episode of Sneak Previews discussing science fiction films of the 1950s and 1970s, critics Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert were critical of Alien. Ebert called it "basically just an intergalactic haunted house thriller set inside a spaceship" and one of several science fiction pictures that were "real disappointments" compared to Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and 2001: A Space Odyssey, though he did compliment the early scene of the Nostromo's crew exploring the alien planet as showing "real imagination".[82]"
I know. But I'm talking about now. Didn't realize I needed to give a potted history of the film.

Could have been worse, 2001 was really misunderstood at launch.

Jotaka

Goldmund 2.0

Top Bottom