• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Dynomutt

And yet the music, movie, and television industry all have visibility and transparency into not just monthly tracking but WEEKLY tracking. All for free and open to the general public. The game industry is a joke.

No, the game industry is a billion dollar business. No matter how righteous or moral people may feel nothing is owed. NPD knows this and if I could lock down a piece of valuable information and sell it at a price, don't ask me twice.

JavaMind

Banned
You seem very concerned, espeically for someone that loves PS4. Sony isn't giving the numbers of consoles they plan to ship the next month, like MS. MS was including all the consoles they intend to ship, since they will reach 10 million shortly. Plus, that 13.5 million shipped number was from the end of September/3rd Quarter. They still have their 4th Quarter shipment, you know, the holiday shipment, that the haven't shared yet.

PS4 is going to be around 18 million shipped by the end of this year easily.

It is the only console that I have :) and I play at least 3-4 hours per day
I'm concerned because i want to Sony skyrocket sales :)

But that doesn't seem right as since the game has launched per Microsofts PR they are selling a ton of systems, plus its bundle on Amazon kept selling out?

They are buying the system for CoD, Halo, AC etc. the games the masses always buy systems for. Those SO bundles were limited. Selling out means nothing if there aren't many to buy in the first place.

Handy Fake

Pretty sure we still do actually. What word should he have used then?

No, nobody says crack anymore. Hack is more of a "90's" word anyway.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about hacking (I'm an expert), but Iron Man and Robert Downey Junior are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Nepal where you can become successful by being able to beat up a monk with stick. If you screw someone over by hacking, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by hugging strangers on the subway.

Petrae

And yet the music, movie, and television industry all have visibility and transparency into not just monthly tracking but WEEKLY tracking. All for free and open to the general public. The game industry is a joke.

NPD really has nothing to gain by sharing its data-- that subscribers pay thousands of dollars for-- with the general public. People aren't going to suddenly start paying up if the service starts offering key stats in a few areas. We get general numbers from NPD, and then console manufacturers can share their own numbers if they so choose. NPD does the smart thing and lets these companies decide whether or not to share their data.

We, as consumers, are not entitled to see that information. We never were. It's been that way for awhile, and we've been fortunate as Armchair Analysts to get data from console manufacturers or from GAF sources, but if we don't get any data? That's honestly the way it should have been since NPD pulled that information back inside years ago.

Seik

Banned
I presented my opinion in a civil discourse, no one got shatted on. Are you still whining about nothing? I thought a mod told you better.

Listen, I'm sorry, truly, I'm having what some would call a 'bad day' and it showed here.

I went hyperbole with the 'shat on', I agree, you presented your point correctly. Though in the end, it essentially ended up as some politically correct kind of whining, which didn't help Aqua's state of mind, clearly. I'm not whining about nothing though and I didn't have any kind of interaction with a mod about this either, we lost a precious member in the GAF community. :(

Whatever, sorry man. I took care of editing a part of my past lividness in my previous post as well.

BKK

So NPD is worse than PAL (UK) charts with regards to data now? At least we get reasonably good estimates for most big titles (on a weekly basis too) there. Still, the internet is far bigger than GAF alone, when I was far more interested in this than I am now I could find far more comprehensive leaks on foreign (generally non-Roman script) message boards than on GAF. I'd be surprised if there aren't any leaks at all in some remote part of the internet for those willing to put the time and effort in to search for it.

NPD really has nothing to gain by sharing its data-- that subscribers pay thousands of dollars for-- with the general public. People aren't going to suddenly start paying up if the service starts offering key stats in a few areas. We get general numbers from NPD, and then console manufacturers can share their own numbers if they so choose. NPD does the smart thing and lets these companies decide whether or not to share their data.

We, as consumers, are not entitled to see that information. We never were. It's been that way for awhile, and we've been fortunate as Armchair Analysts to get data from console manufacturers or from GAF sources, but if we don't get any data? That's honestly the way it should have been since NPD pulled that information back inside years ago.

Japanese trackers seem to disagree. We get numbers from three different trackers every week. NPD just needs some competition....

Z3M0G

Even my one friend with a WiiU, who is a hardcore nintendo Fanboy, who I lent Bayonetta 1 on PS3 to play through as soon as part 2 was announced (I felt so bad about that!), has not yet purchased part 2.

JesseZao

I don't know how much the rest of you know about hacking (I'm an expert), but Iron Man and Robert Downey Junior are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Nepal where you can become successful by being able to beat up a monk with stick. If you screw someone over by hacking, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by hugging strangers on the subway.

So that's who that is!, I forgot.

Forcing non-sequitur references into conversations is obnoxious.

Then why do companies like Media Create or Famitsu exist? They provide consistent public data for the top titles and hardware and provide additional data at a fee. And the reason is because there's competition in the data that they can't harbor all the shit in and charge $10K a pop. Someone needs to step in an challenge the NPD bullshit to break down the barriers.

Furthermore these are public companies the data represents. Sharehodlers should demand more transparency into the perforamnce of the software and hardware. Not generic PR bullshit that is misleading and has ambigious wording.

Jinaar

I hope next months Sunset Overdrives numbers are large. The game is a magical experience of how to create a game that has, shock and awe, actual gameplay that evolves, is very responsive, skill based at times and is ultimately enjoyable!

We really should be rewarding a game that does gameplay so well. Because if gameplay is the majority of what you do in the game (besides watching cutscenes, tutorials, end credits) , then it better be good. And this game did it great!

silva1991

Don't take me wrong i love PS4, but it is weird they didn't ship any console this 2 last months, since we have blackfriday and holidays...

You srsly don't think they ship any?

if MS shipped more than 2 million units then SONY probably shipped even more worldwide

QaaQer

*sigh*

Look. I like aqua being here. Ive learnt alot from reading her posts.

Im just saying the information she is revealing in NPD threads is painting a big target on her back and for what? So people can argue amongst themselves over console wars? This shit has consequences and Neogaf is getting big enough and influential enough that it is a good idea tl be much less fortcoming and hide the information much more.

At the end of the day if she loses her job and gets sued, it doesnt effect anyone than her. Its not worth it to do things how they have been done.

The information can be spread to the community without a big "hi look at the NPD data!" Thread each month. People who actually give a shit about her should be able to see that, surely.

You have it backwards. Without numbers all that is left is fanboy wank. No numbers, no real discussion, no salesage community, or at least a greatly reduced one. But yeah, NPD isn't friendly.

Listen, I'm sorry, truly, I'm having what some would call a 'bad day' and it showed here.

I went hyperbole with the 'shat on', I agree, you presented your point correctly. Though in the end, it essentially ended up as some politically correct kind of whining, which didn't help Aqua's state of mind, clearly. I'm not whining about nothing though and I didn't have any kind of interaction with a mod about this either, we lost a precious member in the GAF community. :(

Whatever, sorry man. I took care of editing a part of my past lividness in my previous post as well.

No problem, just tired of hearing the same accussations from driveby posters looking for drama so I really didn't wanna see it from a fellow retro games lover. It's within my right to say no and make different suggestions in a civil manner and I actually didn't need to apologize for it but I still did. There was a mod warning to stop the persecution, it wasn't directed at a specific person.

Elandyll

Banned
Don't take me wrong i love PS4, but it is weird they didn't ship any console this 2 last months, since we have blackfriday and holidays...

You realize that the 13.5M shipped WW was as of Sept 30th right?

99.9% chance it does not cover the shipment for end of year (Nov+Dec).

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Nobody wanted to play with Bayonetta? :(

I did my part :(

If there's any game that deserves to sell more, it's Bayonetta. Unfortunately, it's a M rated game on a console that's sadly struggling in North America. The Wii U, in general, deserves to be selling better as it's a great console.

Petrae

Then why do companies like Media Create or Famitsu exist? They provide consistent public data for the top titles and hardware and provide additional data at a fee. And the reason is because there's competition in the data that they can't harbor all the shit in and charge $10K a pop. Someone needs to step in an challenge the NPD bullshit to break down the barriers.

Furthermore these are public companies the data represents. Sharehodlers should demand more transparency into the perforamnce of the software and hardware. Not generic PR bullshit that is misleading and has ambigious wording.

Why should shareholders demand that information when they can often get it either through quarterly financial reports? Shareholders should be demanding the info from the company that they're investing in, for the products that are associated with the investment.

As for Japan? It's the way they do things over there, and it doesn't govern how data is disseminated elsewhere. If another company wishes to engage in sales tracking and share the data publicly, I'd be all for it; unfortunately, that's not happening... unless you count the VGC folks, and their dartboard mathematics.

Sales data was never meant for consumers. It still isn't. There is no "right to know" the data. There's nothing to be "protected" from; even if console manufacturer PR spins numbers or uses cryptic data points, what's the damage? I don't see any.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I have no idea since I've never cared about NPD but let's say down about 25% from last month (given the PS4 and MS faux Destiny bundle)?

Oh way more than that. Destiny was a powerful driver.
Software drives hardware and October was just way weaker.

You have it backwards. Without numbers all that is left is fanboy wank. No numbers, no real discussion, no salesage community, or at least a greatly reduced one. But yeah, NPD isn't friendly.

Fanboy wank runs the risk someone getting a ban. At worse losing a free forum account.

Posted numbers run the risk of some losing their job, their career and potentially a financially crippling lawsuit.

One of these things are more important than the other. Console warriors will move on to the next thing to fight about.

Sales age data will still be available to people who put an effort to look for it and can keep their mouths shut.

Not sure if Insomniac is going to be able to rebound from this. They really pushed SO as their magnum opus but it just didn't strike a chord with the general audience. Not surprised really. It was hyped to all hell around here but I never saw anything special.

The problem is they released it on the wrong console. They have spent over a decade building a reputation with Playstation fans. And I am really excited to play sunset overdrive one day. I almost went for the bundle but there is nothing else I want. Currently my plan is to get a one when gears comes out if it is any good. But sunset seems like a mature evolution of ratchet aND clank type game play. I grew up loving ratchet and clank and look forward to the reboot/remaining but those that grew up with ratchet on ps is the exact crowd this seemed aimed at. Xbox people only really know them from fuse. Which wouldn't really instill any confidence in the game. I know why it isn't on Playstation but I'm curious if in their agreement with Ms if they are ever allowed to bring it to Playstation. I'm assuming they could bring a sequel but maybe there is a way they can bring it over and I think it would sell a lot.

QaaQer

Fanboy wank runs the risk someone getting a ban. At worse losing a free forum account.

Posted numbers run the risk of some losing their job, their career and potentially a financially crippling lawsuit.

One of these things are more important than the other. Console warriors will move on to the next thing to fight about.

Sales age data will still be available to people who put an effort to look for it and can keep their mouths shut.

I agree, just pointing out that numbers make for better discussion, not worse.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Maybe John Harker can tell if Chartz had lucky this month.

I don't simply because I don't like to acknowledge it's existence. I don't like the idea of someone using what I say to "correct" what they are monetizing. Since that site makes a decent amount of ad revenue off its traffic.

Loudninja

Not sure if Insomniac is going to be able to rebound from this. They really pushed SO as their magnum opus but it just didn't strike a chord with the general audience. Not surprised really. It was hyped to all hell around here but I never saw anything special.
They have Ratchet and a movie they will be fine.

BKK

So no Wedbush/Pachter forecast this month? Did that just start happening this month, or has that been the situation for a while now?

qko

So NPD is worse than PAL (UK) charts with regards to data now? At least we get reasonably good estimates for most big titles (on a weekly basis too) there. Still, the internet is far bigger than GAF alone, when I was far more interested in this than I am now I could find far more comprehensive leaks on foreign (generally non-Roman script) message boards than on GAF. I'd be surprised if there aren't any leaks at all in some remote part of the internet for those willing to put the time and effort in to search for it.

Its been worse for years, its just that we got spoiled with leakers that would cryptically give us info, one of them lost their source and the other was provoked into a self imposed ban.

allan-bh

So no Pachter forecast this month? Did that start happening this month, or has that been the situation for a while now?

I think he made forecast for his clients as usual, just no news about. Maybe he blocked after last month.

I know sometimes NPD leaks happen on 2ch

Top Bottom