• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
We need a Hide function as well as ignore. To hide all future posts you make from certain users.

There is, it's called ignore. Just click the user, you'll get a context menu to ignore their posts.

@Harker: What do you think of Bayo 2's performance? Since even W101 crawled to 100K with severe price drops after starting at like 20K, I figure Bayo 2 will easily pass that 100K right? Would it be too much of a stretch to say like 150-200K eventually (like end of 2015?).

I assume also the Wii U LTDs are probably still like
NSMBU > MK8 > 1M > 3D World >>>>>> 300K > 250K club (the usual suspects - DKC, Pikmin 3, Lego City), > Hyrule @ 190K + sales this month (I'd assume it sold at least 10K this month, so over 200K including Digital) > 150K club etc...

@Everyone
Also isn't the Wii U software landscape really crappy if Bayo 2 = top at its small #, everything else quite a bit less than that including MK8 & Hyrule? Even MK8 was at Bayo 2's #s last month iirc (or was that August?), so its sales kind of died in October... Thoughts anyone?

allan-bh

as much as I appreciate every bit of info you give us, Harker, either dump it or leave it.

What I like(d) about Aqua is that she would straight up tell us.

If you feel you'd get into trouble leave it for this month, but starting next month, find someone who you wouldn't mind sharing and having him(her) do it in your place.

These threads used to be fun because we'd know what the actual numbers were and then do the math ourselves to know how much bullshit some companies were spitting.

I prefer Aqua style too, but we can't expect that everyone will be the same.

Harker and others have the numbers, but if they can't or just don't want to share, we have to respect.

Still is better to have something than nothing.

Welfare

Harker and others have the numbers, but if they can't or just don't want to share, we have to respect.

F

Numbers will come in due time.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Harker's been kind of enough to drop #s when you least expect it, so it's kind of interesting in that way =).

Can you honestly be more self absorbed? You were also one of the complainers from last months thread...

Huh? I don't agree with the post (not even a little bit) but he was not one of the complainers as far as I can see.

Of course Zephyrus says s/he was banned at the time which is also false because s/he does have a couple of posts in the NPD thread.

Bastables

I know. But I'm talking about now. Didn't realize I needed to give a potted history of the film.

Could have been worse, 2001 was really misunderstood at launch.
I get it I'm just saying out of the gate both the movie and alien isolation were poorly (critically) regarded, alien isolation might end up as a widely regarded favorite along the line of God hand.
Initally the movie made a 2.4 million loss. There just might be the old adage 'no accounting for taste' going on with what is a brilliant game and movie.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I wouldn't be surprised when Aqua returns she doesn't provide numbers. No sign of creamsugar this month either. I think Sales-Age is over, but I hope I'm wrong.

Do we have WW numbers for Smash? I know this is just NA, but I'm curious about my GSP.

cornerman

Truth is in the middle.
Game is probably not a total bomba per se, but it's clearly neither a system seller nor the beginning of a huge new IP for MS in any measure.

Perhaps not, but I think it will find itself on other platforms, and possibly make an even bigger splash collectively.

Historically what are hardware generally down % wise from sept to oct?

In an effort to try and get some actual NPD discussion happening instead of this annoying meta-whining...

- Handhelds traditionally peak in the summer period, and then fall again before the oceanwide holiday bumps, so I would expect to see 3DS and Vita fall
- We are still in a transition period, where we would see previous generational consoles falling, and without any pricecuts on the PS360 their decline is probably much sharper than previously expected, so overall hardware rising is probably a good thing for PS4Bone
- However, software falling again cannot be entirely offset by digital sales which seem to be peaking at 20% or so (and yes I know YoY includes some big hitters from this time last year like GTA and pokeymans)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
as much as I appreciate every bit of info you give us, Harker, either dump it or leave it.

If you feel you'd get into trouble leave it for this month, but starting next month, find someone who you wouldn't mind sharing and having him(her) do it in your place.

These threads used to be fun because we'd know what the actual numbers were and then do the math ourselves to know how much bullshit some companies were spitting.

I can't.

Please select GAF users, drive everyone away.

Aqua, Harker, Creamsugar (ain't posting either).

I wouldn't be surprised when Aqua returns she doesn't provide numbers. No sign of creamsugar this month either. I think Sales-Age is over, but I hope I'm wrong.

Do we have WW numbers for Smash? I know this is just NA, but I'm curious about my GSP.
It's pretty easy tbh, just go and get a world record /s

Zephyrus

Banned
Brain fart let me try again

PS4 LTD through September 4550K
XOne LTD through September 3480K

Combined 8030K

So we had to have sold between 250K and 372K consoles?

Yes you were. You didn't give your opinion. You complained.

You tried to order him to do something

I just went through my post history to find my posts in that thread. Turns out I was wrong. I did write on that thread. Twice. Once saying I felt left out for not having a tag since everyone seems to have one and the other for saying the ps4 won 9 months in a row.

But since two users saw me shit that thread, I must've wrote something else that misteriously disappeared into thin air...

But moving on... I didn't try to order him to do anything. I ASKED for him to chose a stance.

Maybe you're still sore about one month ago you having a good number of users being disrespectful to Aqua making her desire to be banned to not deal with that shit anymore, but I wasn't on it.

Like I said, I apologized to John Harker. I gave an idea of something he could possibly do IF HE FELT LIKE IT.

I am sorry to him if he thought I was being forceful, but it certainly wasn't my intention.

However I will never mince my words so some users like you can feel fine. Not my problem you're oversensitive about something that happened, so kindly leave me out of your witch trials.

I just went through my post history to find my posts in that thread. Turns out I was wrong. I did write on that thread. Twice. Once saying I felt left out for not having a tag since everyone seems to have one and the other for saying the ps4 won 9 months in a row.

But since two users saw me shit that thread, I must've wrote something else that misteriously disappeared into thin air...

But moving on... I didn't try to order him to do anything. I ASKED for him to chose a stance.

Maybe you're still sore about one month ago you having a good number of users being disrespectful to Aqua making her desire to be banned to not deal with that shit anymore, but I wasn't on it.

Like I said, I apologized to John Harker. I gave an idea of something he could possibly do IF HE FELT LIKE IT.

I am sorry to him if he thought I was being forceful, but it certainly wasn't my intention.

However I will never mince my words so some users like you can feel fine. Not my problem you're oversensitive about something that happened, so kindly leave me out of your witch trials.

You ask him to dump it or leave it. That was completely unnecessary and there is no way you can spin it. You contribute to us getting nothing.

A_Gorilla

Banned

Oh yeah, you're gonna do great here.

You ask him to dump it or leave it. That was completely unnecessary and there is no way you can spin it. You contribute to us getting nothing.

Things are getting confused. Someone said Zephyrus was also one of the complainers in last months NPD thread. In fact Zephyrus was not. Zephyrus has 2 posts in that thread, neither of which are complaints about the leakers.

In this thread for this month obviously Zephyrus did post what you've said ("dump it or leave it"), and he isn't trying to spin anything. He apologized for saying it.

Zephyrus

Banned

again, english isn't my first language. Like I wrote 3 times already, if it seemed disrespectful I apologize. It was not my intention to come out as brash and seemingly entitled.

Again, leave me out of your witch hunts.

I'd rather have something than nothing. Stay out of the threads if you don't like them. Why ruin it for the rest of us?

sörine

Banned
it did well in Japan too.
Tango Gameworks lives.
It was badly over-shipped and heavily over-promoted in Japan. Sub 400k honestly isn't that great in the US given it's level of promotion here either. I'm sure Bethesda channel stuffed it pretty hard though.

sörine;138885673 said:
It was badly over-shipped and heavily over-promoted in Japan. Sub 400k honestly isn't that great in the US given it's level of promotion here either. I'm sure Bethesda channel stuffed it pretty hard though.

It's great for the genre and relatuve unknown status of the studio behind it. Alien Isolation had more exposure and completely flopped. It will sell a ton on Black Friday too. TEW was assumed to be DOA just a few months ago...

Looks like it did well enough to get a sequel which is all I care about in the end.

Zephyrus, if I made the mistake of bunging you in with the complainers, I apologise. I still felt your attitude to be rather rude. "English isn't my first language" is not a vaild excuse. However, you have apologised and I feel that it should be left at that.

Also, im not going to link it here but aquamarine has some interesting things to say on twitter. Nothing specfic, but it seems the estimates of PS4/XBO numbers on the lower end of the scale may be true.

That may be far more worrying for sony than microsoft dependant on what the actual splits are.

Zephyrus

Banned
Zephyrus, if I made the mistake of bunging you in with the complainers, I apologise. I still felt your attitude to be rather rude. "English isn't my first language" is not a vaild excuse. However, you have apologised and I feel that it should be left at that.

Also, im not going to link it here but aquamarine has some interesting things to say on twitter. Nothing specfic, but it seems the estimates of PS4/XBO numbers on the lower end of the scale may be true.

That may be far more worrying for sony than microsoft dependant on what the actual splits are.

it's all good.

mistakes were made.

Why would Sony be worried? They won the U.S. every other major market again.

You do realize there is no actual value in anyone here having this data and that what you get is a privilege right?

It's the people who do it for "fun" that actually confuses me. I love this industry and there are people here who do too and I occasionally like to help further meaningful discussion with some perspective and insight. I'm not like, playing off other posters who do things differently that you prefer.

Is there anyway you could tell us if Sunset did better or worse than FH2's launch?
I am just curious to know if you think it was good enough for them to warrant a sequel...

I don't wanna ask for any solid numbers since you not comfortable with that, but clues would be greatly appreciated!

Zephyrus

Banned

it means demand is getting weaker.

Which might give a good idea of what's going to happen next month. Microsoft already announced that x1 outsold the ps4 in two weeks of november, so the xboxone might be the winner next month.

allan-bh

I saw that. Apparently october was not a good month for PS4 and Xbox One.

Aqua will be back, so I'm more optimistic about sales-age future.This is not the end.

Since we're talking about posters, I always liked Terry Travis' input on NPD threads. Judging from the fact that the GC hit over 200K in its equivalent October (2003) and the Wii U did less than 70K it probably stopped being interesting comparing the two.

On the bright side the only data I can find for October 2001 for the Dreamcast pins it at 49K, so the Wii U beat it handily there. The Dreamcast was announced to be dead in March 2001, though

Makes me wonder where do people expect the Wii U to pick up to be able to end at "Gamecube-level Numbers". The GC did double what the Wii U did it's first two years to end up at 20M

Probably because we know the reason sales dropped off on the Xbox One for at least the last week was because of the price drop announcement.

We don't know where sales of the PS4 went.

Sales went down because they were abnormally high in September thanks to Destiny.

sörine

Banned
It's great for the genre and relatuve unknown status of the studio behind it. Alien Isolation had more exposure and completely flopped. It will sell a ton on Black Friday too. TEW was assumed to be DOA just a few months ago...

Looks like it did well enough to get a sequel which is all I care about in the end.
Alien Isolation in no way had more exposure. Not even close.

The only games this year that saw heavier ad rotation than TEW were Titianfall, Destiny and CODAW. Titles like SO or MK8 are quite comparable too. I don't think people are putting TEW's performance in the right context, it was pretty much a AAA rollout met with B sales. It's not really that great for the push it's had, no matter it's genre or developer pedigree. It'll be fun to watch how fast the price point plummets.

Because one the estimates for both top out out at 375k. Now unless the Xbox one cratered last month, that shows a slowdown in PS4 purchases. If we then consider regardless of the dodgy PR, the Xbox one is picking up, without the PS4 ramping up at a similar pace (which seems unlikely based on what we have seen in amazon rankings) it might show that the PS4 slowing down in pace at one of the most crucial times of the year.

I have no doubt that the gap between the two will not close this year, but if Microsoft have done enough to keep things within 500k by the years end, then that is worrying for Sony in the US.

On a personal level, I do feel of all the SCE branches, SCEA seems the most inept and I wouldnt be surprised of they allow Microsoft to take North america from them in the long run. Worldwide, The Xbox one doesnt have a chance, but in the US, the fight is just starting when honestly, it was Sonys battle to lose.

it means demand is getting weaker.

Which might give a good idea of what's going to happen next month. Microsoft already announced that x1 outsold the ps4 in two weeks of november, so the xboxone might be the winner next month.

Microsoft is almost certain to lead sales for November, but there's no evidence that "demand is getting weaker" for the PS4. It's still on the first page of Amazon best sellers, exactly where it has been since launch. I've never seen it go below the teens in the rankings. It's not going anywhere in terms of sales.

Microsoft is having a huge sales boost because it has multiple bundles, is releasing four of its legacy flagship games at once, has slashed the price, and is giving away brand new 3rd party titles for free. They will likely take both November and December, but it doesn't appear to be at the expense of PS4 demand. It's probably only at the expense of Microsoft's profit margins on the X1, to be honest.

Microsoft is almost certain to lead sales for November, but there's no evidence that "demand is getting weaker" for the PS4. It's still on the first page of Amazon best sellers, exactly where it has been since launch. I've never seen it go below the teens in the rankings. It's not going anywhere in terms of sales.

Microsoft is having a huge sales boost because it has multiple bundles, has slashed the price, is giving away brand new titles for free. They will likely take both November and December, but it doesn't appear to be at the expense of PS4 demand. It's probably only at the expense of Microsoft's profit margins on the X1, frankly.

The thing is, before the price drop at the end of last month, it was rarely out the top ten. Even taking the rush for the new bundles out of the equation, its definitely selling slower in the hourlies this month.

Not only that, but I personally feel that Microsoft seems to have more presence in Brick and mortar stores than sony. Amazon doesnt tell the full story, its only a guide.

Ty4on

Brain fart let me try again

PS4 LTD through September 4550K
XOne LTD through September 3480K

Combined 8030K

So we had to have sold between 250K and 372K consoles?
?
Using your previous range (70-75%) I get 250-494k so they could have been anything really :p

Edit:
On the bright side the only data I can find for October 2001 for the Dreamcast pins it at 49K, so the Wii U beat it handily there.
That's not too b...
The Dreamcast was announced to be dead in March 2001, though
oh...

It never seizes to amaze me how poorly the WiiU is selling even when it's up YoY. Heck, Vita+PSP shipments were higher than WiiU shipments last quarter...

?
Using your previous range (70-75%) I get 250-494k so they could have been anything really :p

You're not wrong! I was using 70-72.5. Its Friday so I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. I'm just ready to leave the office and I'm prone to mistakes like that when I'm not writing down math and trying to do it from the top of my head.

allan-bh

Since we're talking about posters, I always liked Terry Travis' input on NPD threads. Judging from the fact that the GC hit over 200K in its equivalent October (2003) and the Wii U did less than 70K it probably stopped being interesting comparing the two.

October 2003 was the month of price drop ($149 to $99), still Cube is almost 2 million ahead of Wii U in the same period

Ty4on

You're not wrong! I was using 70-72.5. Its Friday so I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. I'm just ready to leave the office and I'm prone to mistakes like that when I'm not writing down math and trying to do it from the top of my head.

Don't worry, me too :p

I spend ages in last thread making out PS4 vs XB1 sales for Destiny when bundles were counted. It had already been done and I wrongly used some odd numbers I don't remember which put XB1 on top. PS4 beating Destiny when bundles were counted had been known for ages at that point so it was a gigantic brain fart from me.

Log4Girlz

On the bright side the only data I can find for October 2001 for the Dreamcast pins it at 49K, so the Wii U beat it handily there. The Dreamcast was announced to be dead in March 2001, though

Makes me wonder where do people expect the Wii U to pick up to be able to end at "Gamecube-level Numbers". The GC did double what the Wii U did it's first two years to end up at 20M

And it went to 99 bucks pretty quickly. To be fair I don't see anyone who actually thinks it'll hit gamecube numbers anymore.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member

"Dump it or leave it" aren't necessarily nice things to say. You sound terribly ungrateful.

Top Bottom