• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Those Dragon Quest Heroes numbers don't seem as bad once you look at other entries in the series.
Thanks for these numbers. Hopefully this is a good enough answer to those who keep trying to post in this thread pointing at the DQH numbers and calling it lack of support from fans.

FF and KH are only 2 big JRPG in the west any way .
FFXV i don't know if that games going to go over to well over here .
FWIW, Kingdom Hearts HD collection sales were consistent despite being on a weak platform (PS3). Both entries opened >175k in their debut NPD month so I expect the same (or better) from the Kingdom Hearts HD collection on PS4 next year.

Final Fantasy X-X2 HD Collection also did well and outsold Lightning Returns. Heck the Vita version had 100k+ sales in NPD. The PS4 version opened <50k though but that was expected for a late port.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD debuted to ~200k on PS4/XBO in NPD.

So given the opening we've seen in the UK for Fallout whats Sales Gafs new predictions for November NPD? Anything under 2 million is too low

Game Guru

Those Dragon Quest Heroes numbers don't seem as bad once you look at other entries in the series.

Yeah, Dragon Quest Heroes' numbers seem much more reasonable if Hyrule Warriors got only 190k using the more popular Zelda IP and DQ8 and DQ9 couldn't get anywhere near 200k in their respective first months.

FWIW, Kingdom Hearts HD collection sales were consistent despite being on a weak platform (PS3). Both entries opened >175k in their debut NPD month so I expect the same (or better) from the Kingdom Hearts HD collection on PS4 next year.

Final Fantasy X-X2 HD Collection also did well and outsold Lightning Returns. Heck the Vita version had 100k+ sales in NPD. The PS4 version opened <50k though but that was expected for a late port.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD debuted to ~200k on PS4/XBO in NPD.

Not certain if you agreeing with me or disagreeing lol

Yeah, Dragon Quest Heroes' numbers seem much more reasonable if Hyrule Warriors got only 190k using the more popular Zelda IP and DQ8 and DQ9 couldn't get anywhere near 200k in their respective first months.
To put things into perspective, both were also on a platform with tons of JRPGs so there was also an audience for them. I am sure in the case of PS4, a lot of people are still waiting to switch to it once the big JRPGs are released, and that will happen next year with the release of FFXV, KH II.5 HD and Star Ocean 5.

Not certain if you agreeing with me or disagreeing lol
Just pointing out that these two IPs still do better than your average JRPGs.

DQH at 30k copies is still like 1.8 million in revenue in NA only.

Add in some Europe and some digital, so thats another 1.5 mil with no marketing budget.

So maybe thats ok?
No it isn't. They don't sell the game for $60 to retailers lol.

Plus, the game is $50 retail. So maybe they are selling it to retailers for $40 or so.

Jigorath

Banned
toz ~ 58k
d5 ~ 26k
dq ~ 31k

jd2016 ~ 38k, Wii ~ 39%

Dragon Quest is too low but Tales did well. So uhh, I guess one out of three isn't too bad?

Assuming they put out the 3DS version, no. I'd take the NX version outselling the PS4 version at this point, assuming Square actually publishes it here.

Are these NX posts serious?

Next thing you guys are gonna start saying it'll be the biggest platform for western games like Call of Duty.

Raw64life

IDK... does anyone feel like it was sent to die? DQHeroes looks and plays great, I have to imagine an accessible game like that could have done a bit better than it did.

After not releasing a single DQ game in the west for 5 years and no DQ games on Sony platforms in the west for over a decade they release a spin off, where a good amount of its appeal is in its fan service, with zero hype or advertising. I would call that sent to die in my book.

Maybe match Skyrim?

In the UK it opened WAY higher than Skyrim and shipments were far larger than Skyrim as well.
The 12 million shipped in 24 hours figure also included digital sales, no?

We know it opened >1 million on PC digitally. We also know that it had record breaking digital sales on PSN/XBX. So I will be honestly surprised if it can match Skyrim. But I am sure it will easily top 2 million.

RPGamer92

Banned
Nintendo is viewed as the home of turn based JRPGs right now. This is primarily due to the successes of Fire Emblem and Bravely Default in the west. It is absolutely possible that NX DQ XI can sell more than the PS4 version.
Not with the huge difference in install base.

sörine

Banned
Pokemon, M&L does decently as well.
Fire Emblem's pretty huge now too, provided Awakening wasn't a fluke. It outsold the last two "mainline spinoff" KH games in the west (BBS and DDD). I'm really curious how Fates does.

DQXI is not coming to the west before 2017. 3DS will be dead over here before it is localized.
Possibly. 3DS getting VII and VIII in west has sort of made me reconsider XI's chances of localization on the system though. I mean if it wasn't being planned then why would Nintendo even bother?

Abdiel

I will be very interested to see what happens with the NX going forward... Because, at this point, when I look at our current trends in retail, I see the handheld side of it working to fill the role of the 3DS and try to take over the Vita's niche for existing games there (Which, I'm not even sure if they'll do that, since right now they can sell to the Vita/PS4 cross development spectrum and it eases their development set) - but in terms of the home console side, who is that going to be selling to? If it is being leveraged in any way as competition for the PS4/XB1, it's being thrown into a shark tank at this point.

We'll have to see what they position it as, and how they try to do so, but, just from the trends I see in store, how they plan to enter this realm seems very difficult.

There's an existing perception with the very, very large mass market that Nintendo's consoles are not where you play any of the major multiplatform titles. And for those titles, anything with multiplayer, you likely have an existing account and a history tied to one or both of those existing platforms now, since both Sony and MS have had well established profile systems in place for years now, while Nintendo is just joining that party.

And the PS4 is definitely gaining ground with more titles as a Japanese haven, so it's a matter of time for more folks to convert from their PS3s. A lass I've just started seeing had no idea how many JRPGs were even announced for next year, and when she saw what I've got preordered for the next 6 months, she was stunned.

I genuinely have no idea what to expect from the NX. I don't really play much in the way of Nintendo stuff anymore, but I appreciate the role they fill and I'm happy for people that love the games they make... So I'm just kind of curious at this point.

sörine;185635073 said:
Fire Emblem's pretty huge now too, provided Awakening wasn't a fluke. It outsold the last two "mainline spinoff" KH games in the west (BBS and DDD). I'm really curious how Fates does.

I wonder how Nintendo is actually gonna report Fates sales, with the other routes being available via DLC purchase and all that.

Vena

Both were for DS, which was a popular handheld and the "home" of Dragon Quest as many people consider in this thread. It was also a big platform for JRPGs so there was a huge audience for it.

DS piracy completely obliterated its software performance.

Also it should probably be noted that barring VIII and IX, those numbers were never good. So while comparable, they are not a good result.

The huge install base doesn't seem to have helped DQH. I'm not saying that it's a certainty just that it's a definite possibility.
It never helped any of the past mainline DQ games, even on the most successful dedicated hardware (Nintendo DS) so what's your point again?

Until the NX is released and it is a breakout success, don't expect it to move any units. Right now, everyone is just using their imagination to picture an alternative reality where NX is released and is successful. We never know what will happen with NX, it could be another Wii U for all we know.

If you think Nintendo platforms are better fit for JRPGs, can you point to any past numbers that support this notion? I am talking about home consoles here, not handhelds.

XCX sold lower than The Witcher 3 (PS4) in Japan. It should be interesting to see how it fares in NPD.

DS piracy completely obliterated its software performance.
3DS can also be pirated, if not as easily. PS3 and Xbox 360 were a heaven for pirates. I don't see others pointing to the lower sales as piracy for these consoles.

DQ IX was also the best selling DQ on DS after VIII so what happened to piracy here when IX was released?

Vena

It never helped any of the past mainline DQ games, even on the most successful dedicated hardware (Nintendo DS) so what's your point again?

It helped DQVIII and DQIX just fine.

3DS can also be pirated, if not as easily. PS3 and Xbox 360 were a heaven for pirates. I don't see others pointing to the lower sales as piracy for these consoles.

DQ IX was also the best selling DQ on DS after VIII so what happened to piracy here when IX was released?

Nothing was pirated to the levels of the DS (and possibly the Wii and PSP). DQIX was handled entirely by Nintendo and marketed by them, DQIV/DQVI performed so badly that SE dropped publication duties in the west. 3DS piracy is incredibly minuscule compared to its predecessor, its not even relevantly comparable. It got so bad that we had articles like this and statements from devs like Ubi on how bad it was, prior to the 3DS coming to market.

DQIX's sales fell off hard and fast after launch, and you can bet your bottom dollar that its performance lost a good bit of its cap to piracy.

The fact that you'd even try to compare the 3DS (or PS3/X360) to something like the DS in piracy is amazing. Its like telling me a bucket is like an ocean because its filled with water.

Dragon quest is just not a big seller over not matter the system .
For DQXI SE has to put in some marketing and it should do well take Ni no Kuni for eg .

It helped DQVIII and DQIX just fine.

Both of these sold well due to the marketing. Not due to the install base.

DQ IX was heavily marketed by Nintendo. It is perhaps the most marketed game in the West, even more than DQ VIII.

DQ VIII had a lot of hype around its western launch. SE also spent some actual time in marketing it. Don't forget that it was also released with a demo for FFXII in the West, which was a HUGE deal back then.

In both cases, the higher sales didn't happen on the basis of install base alone. It was greatly helped by marketing the game in both cases.

Nothing was pirated to the levels of the DS (and possibly the Wii and PSP). DQIX was handled entirely by Nintendo and marketed by them, DQIV/DQVI performed so badly that SE dropped publication duties in the west. 3DS piracy is incredibly minuscule compared to its predecessor, its not even relevantly comparable. It got so bad that we had articles like this and statements from devs like Ubi on how bad it was, prior to the 3DS coming to market.

DQIX's sales fell off hard and fast after launch, and you can bet your bottom dollar that its performance lost a good bit of its cap to piracy.

The fact that you'd even try to compare the 3DS (or PS3/X360) to something like the DS in piracy is amazing. Its like telling me a bucket is like an ocean because its filled with water.
Piracy was rampant on PSP/DS and was the easiest for them, sure. But it was also a huge deal on PS1/PS2 and other hardware. Trying to isolate the DS as the sole victim of piracy and lower software sales is not good. You should know very well that despite the piracy as you claim here, DS also sold the most software next to PS2. So how did this even happen if piracy was so easy?

sörine

Banned
If you think Nintendo platforms are better fit for JRPGs, can you point to any past numbers that support this notion? I am talking about home consoles here, not handhelds.
But NX will be a handheld.

I3DS can also be pirated, if not as easily. PS3 and Xbox 360 were a heaven for pirates. I don't see others pointing to the lower sales as piracy for these consoles.

You're really underselling the vast impact of DS piracy, it basically collapsed the overall software market in the late 00s and was incredibly cheap, easy and widespread. PS3 and 360 were nowhere near as bad, still aren't really.

sörine;185637263 said:
You're really underselling the vast impact of DS piracy, it basically collapsed the overall software market in the late 00s and was incredibly cheap, easy and widespread. PS3 and 360 were nowhere near as bad, still aren't really.
The piracy factor has affected every dedicated hardware released so far. DS is not the only one which was easily pirated. But there is no way to estimate the percentage of lost sales due to piracy so it is pointless to talk about it.

sörine;185637548 said:
I said handheld, not Japanese developed games.

More westerners play portable games than play on a tv now.
If you think the handheld market is not in a downward trend in the West, you need a reality check.

Vena

Piracy was rampant on PSP/DS and was the easiest for them, sure. But it was also a huge deal on PS1/PS2 and other hardware. Trying to isolate the DS as the sole victim of piracy and lower software sales is not good. You should know very well that despite the piracy as you claim here, DS also sold the most software next to PS2. So how did this even happen if piracy was so easy?

Ahh yes, the PS1. So rampant was internet-based piracy back then.

Also, the DS piracy problem came into the later part of the its life-cycle. Your question would be valid only if the system was in perpetual piracy since launch, it was not and so time scales can account for the vast majority of its retail software.

sörine

Banned
The piracy factor has affected every dedicated hardware released so far. DS is not the only one which was easily pirated. But there is no way to estimate the percentage of lost sales due to piracy so it is pointless to talk about it.
DS wasn't unique no. PSP and later term Wii were also heavily pirated and similarly impacted. The systems you brought up though (360, PS3, 3DS) aren't even remotely comparable.

And piracy is worth mentioning when it has this sort of impact. The European DS software market started halving in 2008, US started in 2009. We didn't get a ton of localizations (SaGa 2-3, Ninokuni, Seventh Dragon, etc) from larger publishers precisely because of this. That's notable and unusual even for market leading platforms.

They don't play Candy Crush on a 3DS.
They don't play it on PS4 either. Just like they don't play Disgaea, Tales or Dragon Quest on PS4 it seems.

Thanks .

Ahh yes, the PS1. So rampant was internet-based piracy back then.

Also, the DS piracy problem came into the later part of the its life-cycle. Your question would be valid only if the system was in perpetual piracy since launch, it was not and so time scales can account for the vast majority of its retail software.

How about PS2 .
Hell PS2 piracy was so bad you could by the games in shops .

sörine;185638409 said:
They don't play it on PS4 either. Just like they don't play Disgaea, Tales or Dragon Quest on PS4 it seems.

They played them on PS4 just fine .

RexNovis

Banned
creamsugar said:
d5 ~ 26k
dq ~ 31k

This is legit heartbreaking (T-T)

They deserve so much better. I did my part but here's hoping they some legs this holiday season with all the new console purchases.

AniHawk

god damn. dragon quest xi is like the one game that was made to satisfy everyone.

i'm sure it will do fine. it will do fine wherever. it looks fun. just wait for it and enjoy it.

regarding the popularity of rpgs in general, two platforms are strong. one is the ps4, which is a continuation of the ps3, a platform that wasn't a good home for them until actually later in its life. it's going to get a lot of niche stuff (exist archive, dq builders, the witch and the hundred knight, ys, etc), and mainstream stuff (final fantasy versus xiii, kingdom hearts iii, dragon quest xi).

the 3ds is like what the ps3 was later in its life. around the time ps3 was doing well, nintendo was making their platform strong with mario & luigi, pokemon, and fire emblem, while atlus brought niche games to the platform to flesh things out. it was a combo that allowed for games like project x zone to find success.

so both are fine homes for rpgs. not one is inherently better or worse. dragon quest xi's gonna be fine.

StormKing

Until the NX is released and it is a breakout success, don't expect it to move any units. Right now, everyone is just using their imagination to picture an alternative reality where NX is released and is successful. We never know what will happen with NX, it could be another Wii U for all we know.

XCX sold lower than The Witcher 3 (PS4) in Japan. It should be interesting to see how it fares in NPD.

The Witcher 3 is not a turn based game. Neither is Xenoblade Chronicles X. I'm referring to games like Pokemon, Bravely Default and Fire Emblem. DQ XI will also be a turn based game. Is there a turn based RPG that has sold well on the PS4?

I was being generous in giving it 300k, but man if it doesn't crack 150k?? I just don't know.

It did 50 thousand in 2 days in the UK. Compared to a Tuesday release for fallout. Tombraider came out on Friday. I think it will break 150 thousand no problem. I wouldn't be concerned about it :)

Top Bottom