• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

super6646

Banned
Honestly when you Include digital and bundled copies I'm guessing it's about a 50% decline and when you think bout how big halo was then to today it's not great but it's also not that unlikely

I don't know. Either way, its clear October massively disappointed. PS4 was very likely down YOY, XB1 barely kept its footing, and Halo 5 MAY have sold less than 1 million physical in the US. Like I said, we did hear Halo 5 sold roughly 1 million digital, so that MAY be a saving grace, but I don't know at this point.

Jarmel

Banned
Halo 2 ~3.3m
Halo 3 ~3.3m
Reach ~3.3m
Halo 4 ~3.3m

ODST ~1.5m

Halo 5 < 1m

It is a huge flop... being #1 means nothing with these low numbers for Halo franchise.

God damn, that's less than half the sales of the previous entry.

MCC must have killed the franchise cold.

OEM

yea i highly doubt uncharted 4 will have a decline. that title is going to sell better than uncharted 3 especially releasing during march.

I mean this is given. Previous Uncharted games didnt set charts on fire. So not too hard to beat and U4 will definitely have more hype than previous entries. Because the Naughty Dog name have gotten much bigger since TLOU.

On halo's case, they are already battling against biggest entertainment launch and what a cultural phenomena was that Halo 3 launch. On top of that new developer who did not have a great track record. Believe it or not but all this adds up. But I must say H5 is definitely one of the best Halo MP game I have played, so its sad the decline is huge.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
5 days out of 31 lol

k thanks. no idea why but I was thinking it was mid month for some reason.

Yeah, I realize saying "five is plenty" sounds crazy. But AAA releases are frontloaded enough that there's a rhythm to all this madness. The first week is huge relative to follow-ups, except in cases of breakout hits. Games have tails (heh) but usually it's a steep drop after the first week or two.

Jigorath

Banned
We are all so focused on Halo but dudes

AC sales nust be TERRIBLE as well. 2 franchises that have just totally collapsed in comparison to what they were at their peaks

Halo and Assassin's Creed are going down. But Destiny and Watch Dogs are taking their place. Everything's cyclical.

zsynqx

We are all so focused on Halo but dudes

AC sales nust be TERRIBLE as well. 2 franchises that have just totally collapsed in comparison to what they were at their peaks

The fact that nobody gives a shit in this thread pretty much sums up why AC sales are down.

NOBODY GIVES A SHIT! :p

Regiruler

No way I think, XCX doesn't have the appeal of Yoshi along with software sales being really high with everyone buying up for the holidays. There just aren't enough Wii U's out there for that.
However, yoshi is a played out franchise in an oversaturated genre, not to mention it's lukewarm reception. XCX is arguably a more important software pillar, and it shows due to the higher investment.

And shouldn't general trends not have a significant impact on chart placement? I suppose one could argue that given some "increase coefficient" of holiday sales, a game's sales is increased in terms of the number of systems it's on, thus giving an inherent advantage to multiplatform games, but that seems like overly soft and faulty math.
nah...everything else would have to crash and burn in December or XCX needs 500k minimum

sure would be nice if it did though!
Maybe I'm just undervaluing yoshi a fuckton. It makes me curious what yoshi's numbers were, though.

Halo and Assassin's Creed are going down. But Destiny and Watch Dogs are taking their place. Everything's cyclical.

Oh I hear ya. Not everything is doom. November software sales will be amazing.

Just god damn is it crazy seeing those franchises just run out of steam like that

Did I miss anything? Just woke up.

Had a NPD dream where I tricked Phil Spencer with Sony's lame PR Spin to get him into developing a VR headset.

super6646

Banned
Ryng_Tolu's crusade for Splatoon outselling Halo 5 worldwide is looking more and more reasonable.

I think Halo 5 will have better legs, especially as people realize the game isn't broken, and is pretty good. But 343 better blow everyone's minds with Halo 6, or its game over.

Like I said, we did hear Halo 5 sold roughly 1 million digital, so that MAY be a saving grace, but I don't know at this point.
The digital won't mean much. Halo 4 sold more than three times as much when digital was already well established. It's gone up even since then I'm sure, but not anywhere near enough to make up for a 70% decline in retail.

Kusagari

Pretty sure it will chart but near the bottom.

Star Wars, Fallout, CoD, Madden, NBA, FIFA are all locks. Destiny, WWE and Assassin's Creed are on sale literally everywhere on Black Friday. Who knows what Halo will do. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if GTAV randomly did another 300k+ considering it's 15 dollars everywhere.

If Tomb Raider makes it then it will be barely.

Javin98

Banned
Did I miss anything? Just woke up.

Had a NPD dream where I tricked Phil Spencer with Sony's lame PR Spin to get him into developing a VR headset.
You shouldn't have come back, man, this thread is going nuclear any minute now.

On a more serious note, Cosmic and Harker both heavily hinted that Halo 5 was under 1 million.

The digital won't mean much. Halo 4 sold more than three times as much when digital was already well established. It's gone up even since then I'm sure, but not anywhere near enough to make up for a 70% decline in retail.

I dont recall being given the option to buy halo 4 digitally when it launched.

zsynqx

Considering how the NDC didn't exactly set the charts on fire I wonder how much the David Cage collection will flop. I think we are finally far enough into the generation for HD ports to stop, as next gen games are actually releasing now.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't know, if Dragon Age: Inquisition didn't chart in November 2014 ("we just barely missed it, guys, and digital was big!") then I'm not going to blink if Rise of the Tomb Raider "just barely" misses November 2015.

wapplew

Refuse to believe Halo number until we got concrete source
It just doesn't add up to 400 million revenue or whatever that PR said last week.

Chobel

You know what's funny, UC4 now has a chance to outsell Halo 5... In US. In the other hand Uncharted Collection sales are so bad, I'm starting to think that UC4 will also disappoint in sales.

Javin98

Banned
It just doesn't add up to 400 million revenue or whatever that PR said last week.
What the hell? Cosmic and Harker are as concrete source as any source can get, aside from Cream, of course. Some people are really having a hard time accepting this.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

It starts adding up when one factors that they probably meant all tie-in content, from controllers to consoles to Live memberships and beyond, as some have suggested.

What the hell? Cosmic and Harker are as concrete source as any source can get, aside from Cream, of course. Some people are really having a hard time accepting this.

I think some people probably just don't know how legit they are.

Well the PR included digital, hardware and global numbers... which NPD does not, even though Xbox One isn't very strong worldwide it'll add up in that time.

zsynqx

I don't know, if Dragon Age: Inquisition didn't chart in November 2014 ("we just barely missed it, guys, and digital was big!") then I'm not going to blink if Rise of the Tomb Raider "just barely" misses November 2015.

This is the one that annoys me and I really hope the lackluster sales won't directly impact CD. If there are lay offs that would be a tragedy.

You know what's funny, UC4 now has a chance to outsell Halo 5... In US. In the other hand Uncharted Collection are so bad, I'm starting to think that UC4 will also disappoint in sales.

That tag though :L

AP90

I do not think the bolded is really a true statement IMO.

It would be more valid to say that digital games are becoming well established this Gen..

They were pulling in revenue from basically anything Halo branded... Not just the game.

And when was it said Halo 5 did a mil digitally????

sense

i believe you are in the denial stage. you have no idea what ms counted to get to that figure because of how much spin there was

Considering how the NDC didn't exactly set the charts on fire I wonder how much the David Cage collection will flop. I think we are finally far enough into the generation for HD ports to stop, as next gen games are actually releasing now.
Current gen only games have been releasing for a while now. Remasters will likely be here the whole gen and that's perfectly fine.

You know what's funny, UC4 now has a chance to outsell Halo 5... In US. In the other hand Uncharted Collection are so bad, I'm starting to think that UC4 will also disappoint in sales.

Nah ND name has just gotten bigger since then .
I can see UC4 staying flat but NA was not it's best region anyway .

stryke

lol that thing is going to sell like shit. But I guess they want a bit more out of Beyond since that release way too close to PS4 launch.

It's not all a waste of time and money, porting can help them come to terms with new hardware quicker like what Bethesda and Naughty Dog did.

Top Bottom