• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

MisterHero

o782ds.jpg
DAMN YOU

DAMN YOU TO HELL

Yours is better than mine.

mr_bishiuk said:
The Wii is selling to people who aren't really interested in buying any games afterwards, they are buying it for Wii Sports!
The do buy an additional controller though (that comes with a $10 game).

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Maxwell House said:
We have seen some bad predictions on this board lately:

1. Sony won't have a 2nd price drop this year. $399.99 is out of the question.
2. Halo 3 won't increase 360 hardware sales much.

I think the next prediction that will be off is:

3. MS won't have another price drop before Christmas.

$249 Arcade pack here we come baby!

beerbelly

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Wow...look at the Nintendo fans...not one positive thing to say about anything not Nintendo.

It's embarrassing

They were last (relatively) the past 2 generations. Let em celebrate :D

pr0cs

With these sales I really doubt they'll drop the price on the 360. If October continues on a similar path (and it likely will with Halo3 and Orange Box) they'll have no reason.
I'd like to see them drop it another $50 to make the PS3 price drop (and black friday) really interesting.

Frillen

Lefty42o said:
there ya go. like i said if i am wrong i will be the first to admit it.

just want you to know i am not some fanboy so i wasn't trying to argue just with all these wii's selling its software sells should be better. maybe that will change with galaxy.

good stuff man.

Well I haven't accused you for being one have I? ;) I just think your predictions are "out of this world".

Evlar

Banned
speculawyer said:
This argument was out of vogue back when MP8 was leading the charts. Glad to see the resurrection of an oldie.

Jirotrom

drohne said:
word. the only sales metric that matters is A+B>C where 'A' is 360 sales, 'B' is ps3, and 'C' is wii

come on big bucks no waggle no waggle no waggle

80s game show enthusiasts will feel me
and this post falls on the renowned #666, it all makes sense now.

gcfan2k5

gregor7777 said:
Wow...look at the Nintendo fans...not one positive thing to say about anything not Nintendo.

It's embarrassing

I am a nintendo fan, and i have alot of positive things to say about things that arent nintendo. Sony built a rock solid machine that hasnt given me a single problem, unlike the 360 which is a disaster of epic proportions in terms of build quality.

Microsoft is delivering probably the best overall lineup in gaming history with the 360, and selling far less than it really should based on the quality of the lineup. The biggest problem with the 360 is the manufacturing quality, it still isnt up to snuff.

GhaleonEB

Fuzzy said:
Knowing that I beat you makes me happy. :D
I was about to hit "post" when someone walked into my cube.

*shakes fist*

I'm surprised PS3 sales dropped again (in weekly sales rate). If this month were four weeks, it would have been 95k - about where they were before the 60GB dropped in price. The Wii held almost perfectly steady. I continue to be baffled. Nintendo hit it out of the park with that baby.

Chumly

Hcoregamer00 said:
That is the thing, I never said that the wii is selling poorly. I never implied that, I forgot to say the huge stack of 100 wii's I saw got sold when I came back 3 days later when I bought some Anime DVD's. The shipments arrive in huge quantities and I happened to be lucky enough the last two instances of seeing a stack of them in person. They sell out in a matter of days and it is impossible to buy them when you want to get it.

I said it before and I said it again, I am buying a Wii when Smash Bros. comes out, the Delay Feb 2nd all but guaranteed that my first "current gen" console is the PS3. Even that is a huge question mark seeing how horrible it is selling. I am now wanting to wait and see if the 40 gig model sets the world on fire, because if it sells as terribly by 2008, I may as well buy a x360.
I apologive I wasnt trying to bash you i was just giving the supply situation around where I am.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The hell, I can't believe people are trying to downplay these numbers. Let it go, next month should be business as always.

shinsnake

Banned
gregor7777 said:

It's embarrassing

Wait, we've heard numerous comments about how software doesn't sell for the Wii and you're complaining about Nintendo fans only seeing it one way? Irony much?

Timbuktu

speculawyer said:

I think the other side of the argument would be that these were probaby people who weren't interested in buying games at all. So getting them interested enough to get one is a good first step. If they were willing to buy a console for one game, is it that difficult to convince them to get another?

trilobyte

Microsoft now has a great strategy. Just release a new game every month with the same quality, marketing, and ultra-hype as a new Halo and it'll be able to keep up with the Wii sales month to month.

Lefty42o

Banned
Frillen said:
Well I haven't accused you for being one have I? ;) I just think your predictions are "out of this world".

you said i sounded like someone from the ps3 forums if i am not mistaken. but its all good. we will see what happens and if galaxy sells well its only a good thing.

i am a longtime nintendo fan from back in the day. its good to see them having success after the cube.

I hope people realize this is the top 10 software sales for all systems, and isn't the only software sold for each console. Looking at Wii software and hardware sales, JUST looking at the top 10, HW sales were only 52k greater than software sales. Seeing as how the lowest selling top 10 game is over 100k it's safe to assume Wii SW sales, even for just the Wii top 10 were more than HW sales

AdmiralViscen said:
So what are your predictions for 360 sales in the US through December?

What does It matter what I think? Halo 3 will do exceptionally well, as will the 360. But the vast majority of sales will go to existing 360 owners, just like these sales are indicating.

Jonsoncao said:
dont forget last month BioShock has 500k while MP3 200k

ok, well still, if the trend continues (MP3>Bioshock per month) it'll all even out more or less, and we should all remember how poorly Hunters sold in the first month (125k?), so this was a big boost to the series' dwindling public interest.

shinsnake

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
What does It matter what I think? Halo 3 will do exceptionally well, as will the 360. But the vast majority of sales will go to existing Halo owners, just like these sales are indicating.

Yeah, I think Halo 3 will keep XBOX 360 selling well over 400k in October and then November and December will be given big sellers anyway.

pr0cs said:
With these sales I really doubt they'll drop the price on the 360. If October continues on a similar path (and it likely will with Halo3 and Orange Box) they'll have no reason.
I'd like to see them drop it another $50 to make the PS3 price drop (and black friday) really interesting.
It is highly unlikely 360 sales will remain this high for too much longer (I am sure on a weekly basis, it is already way lower than it was in September).

Halo 3's effect on HW only lasts for so long (although, I do expect 360 monthly sales from now on to be better than they were pre-Halo 3).

Hunter D

I wonder when sony will lower the number of PS2s they are shipping. The PS2 is helping to kill the PS3. I've been saying it for months and will keep saying it.

gcfan2k5

Zoramon089 said:
I hope people realize this is the top 10 software sales for all systems, and isn't the only software sold for each console. Looking at Wii software and hardware sales, JUST looking at the top 10, HW sales were only 52k greater than software sales. Seeing as how the lowest selling top 10 game is over 100k it's safe to assume Wii SW sales, even for just the Wii top 10 were more than HW sales

Counting Wii Sports wii had an attach rate of over 6.5:1 worldwide at the end of july...... thats quite alot of software for a system that rarely sees chart topping titles.

shinsnake

Banned
And seriously, I hate people for not buying Metroid Prime 3. I never had any delusions that it would even approach Halo's first day sales much less "month" sales. I hoped it would do at least first month Bioshock numbers.

MisterHero

schuelma said:
I don't think so, officially anyways.
It's not like it matters all that much to them anyways. Even during the N64/GC era, GameBoy and the system of the respective period has always held around +/-50% hardware. And for the lack of support they still had many million sellers. :D

As for the person asking Nintendo actually declared "#1".
http://kotaku.com/gaming/sales-numbers/princess-peach-gives-us-the-npd-goods-269512.php

This is the closest to it, not really formal though. :lol

StevieP

Banned
Hunter D said:
I wonder when sony will lower the number of PS2s they are shipping. The PS2 is helping to kill the PS3. I've been saying it for months and will keep saying it.

Ermm... the PS3 is actually killing the PS3.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
titiklabingapat said:
They'll probably do it in a couple of days when the release their quarterly report.

and manufacturing capacity increase for the holidays, hopefully.
And hopefully they also update the chart on the NoA press site since they haven't since the end of the fiscal year. :(

Sucks for Stranglehold, another quality game made by the Psi-Ops team almost ignored, I hope they keep trying, the team has talent. Hopefully over the holidays Stranglehold will at least do respectable numbers.

DiddyBop

The most amazing number to me is the PS2. The thing is so old but still going strong. prolly gonna sell 300,000+ in NA alone during oct-dec. Plus if Sony drops it to 100 it will sell even better.

Lo-Volt

sonycowboy said:
PlayStation 3 119.4K
Xbox 360 527.8K
Wii 501K

The difference was going to be big, sure, but that's got to be a brutal set of basic figures to read to if you're at Sony right now.

GhaleonEB

DeaconKnowledge said:
What does It matter what I think? Halo 3 will do exceptionally well, as will the 360. But the vast majority of sales will go to existing 360 owners, just like these sales are indicating.
Question. If the attach rate of Halo 3 to ongoing sales remains high, will you concede it's selling to new owners, or will you say it's just selling to the 51% as of now that don't own it?

Frillen

Lefty42o said:
you said i sounded like someone from the ps3 forums if i am not mistaken. but its all good. we will see what happens and if galaxy sells well its only a good thing.

i am a longtime nintendo fan from back in the day. its good to see them having success after the cube.

Well the PS3forums thing was more directed towards your Grammar.

Grecco

Lo-Volt said:
The difference was going to be big, sure, but that's got to be a brutal set of basic figures to read to if you're at Sony right now.

Sony probably expected it. Wouldnt have released the price cut news today if otherwise.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lefty42o said:

Indeed, but its just too bad that too many Nintendo fanboys are ruining it :( Atleast for me. I dont care much about 360 and PS3 fanboys, but there is something about Nintendo fanboys the last year that really sux. If you say something about Wii you will in most cases get your skin full (is that the right expression) from Nintendo fanboys.

Damn i miss the NES and SNES days :\ Then it was just about reading magazines and playing games with your friends and have fun. No huge arguement about how great (insert console here) was over (insert console here). Sure, there was some discussions like this, but far from the same level as today.

gcfan2k5

DiddyBop said:
The most amazing number to me is the PS2. The thing is so old but still going strong. prolly gonna sell 300,000+ in NA alone during oct-dec. Plus if Sony drops it to 100 it will sell even better.

The best thing sony could do financially is drop the PS2slim to 99.99, and bundle it with God of War and Gran Turismo 4... It would sell a few million easily, and ensure that this latest price drop wont hurt sony more than it helps (ps3 price drop).

Top Bottom