• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Haunted

Oh damn, I'm LttP. Halo 3 and the 360 kicking ass, Wii and DS still going phenomenally strong, and PS3... well :lol

Totally lowballed the 360 and overestimated the Sony brand in my predictions. :/

test_account said:
Indeed, but its just too bad that too many Nintendo fanboys are ruining it :( Atleast for me. 360 fanboys are ok, PS3 fanboys are ok, but there is something about Nintendo fanboys the last year that really sux. If you say something about Wii you will in most cases get your skin full (is that the right expression) from Nintendo fanboys.

Inferiority complex developed during the N64 and especially cultivated during the GC era. You had to be some sort of..."special" person to stick with them through all those years.

Jirotrom

GhaleonEB said:
Question. If the attach rate of Halo 3 to ongoing sales remains high, will you concede it's selling to new owners, or will you say it's just selling to the 51% as of now that don't own it?
just ignore him he's throwing down the hate... Halo 3 is definitely selling to new owners as well... the question is whether or not it has some serious staying power when so many other great games for 360 are arriving.

Brodequin

LukeSmith said:
1186192986395qc2.gif

I've seen this a bunch here, but I've got to ask, what movie is the original gif from?

Lefty42o

Banned
test_account said:
Indeed, but its just too bad that too many Nintendo fanboys are ruining it :( Atleast for me. I dont care much about 360 and PS3 fanboys, but there is something about Nintendo fanboys the last year that really sux. If you say something about Wii you will in most cases get your skin full (is that the right expression) from Nintendo fanboys.

Damn i miss the NES and SNES days :\ Then it was just about reading magazines and playing games with your friends. No arguement about how great (insert console here) was over (insert console here). Sure, there was discussions like this, but far from the same level as today.

its relative. i have seen owners of each console acting a fool :D

I think the lower PS3 weekly numbers shows, in part, that MS and Sony share much of the same audience for their consoles, and when one does really well, it effects the other negatively.

Gigglepoo

GitarooMan said:
Sucks for Stranglehold, another quality game made by the Psi-Ops team almost ignored, I hope they keep trying, the team has talent. Hopefully over the holidays Stranglehold will at least do respectable numbers.

It kind of sucked, though. Repetitve gameplay, bad level design and an insultingly bland story.

Jirotrom

test_account said:
Indeed, but its just too bad that too many Nintendo fanboys are ruining it :( Atleast for me. I dont care much about 360 and PS3 fanboys, but there is something about Nintendo fanboys the last year that really sux. If you say something about Wii you will in most cases get your skin full (is that the right expression) from Nintendo fanboys.

Damn i miss the NES and SNES days :\ Then it was just about reading magazines and playing games with your friends and have fun. No huge arguement about how great (insert console here) was over (insert console here). Sure, there was some discussions like this, but far from the same level as today.
Yeah there was no internet use to bitch endlessly about the subject:D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
gregor7777 said:
Wow...look at the Nintendo fans...not one positive thing to say about anything not Nintendo.

It's embarrassing

This "nintendo fan" is buying a PS3 first, so I guess this "nintendo fan" just likes supporting underdogs.

Makes sense since I owned a Genesis, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, XBOX and Gamecube (yes, I intentionally left the hot selling consoles I owned at the time).

gcfan2k5

Jirotrom said:
just ignore him he's throwing down the hate... Halo 3 is definitely selling to new owners as well... the question is whether or not it has some serious staying power when so many other great games for 360 are arriving.

Halo3 will sell strong through the next year, and then microsoft will do something clever like Halo 1 + 2 + 3 on the halo3 engine for 59.99 and bundle that with 360 systems next year also.... They are going to milk halo for everything its worth. (though i would certainly buy halo + halo2 on the halo3 engine, along with halo3s multiplayer enhancements and all those nifty features.)

MisterHero

titiklabingapat said:
Inferiority complex developed during the N64 and especially cultivated during the GC era. You had to be some sort of..."special" person to stick with them through all those years.
Goomba_transparent.png

:lol :lol :lol

Lefty42o

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
It kind of sucked, though. Repetitve gameplay, bad level design and an insultingly bland story.

yeah. i been meaning to try to beat it but now i am hooked on the orange box so i will likely trade it in towards mass effect or something.

JCBossman

Banned
I am going to say it now, Kiilzone2, MGS4, GT5 or Final Fantasy will NOT sell even HALF what Halo 3 is going to do, either First Month or LTD, thats no way to win a console war.

shinsnake

Banned
test_account said:

Damn i miss the NES and SNES days :\ Then it was just about reading magazines and playing games with your friends and have fun. No huge arguement about how great (insert console here) was over (insert console here). Sure, there was some discussions like this, but far from the same level as today.

Maybe the NES days, but certainly not the SNES days. There were many Genesis fights in my neighborhood. As well as TG-16, which was my console of choice until it died a slow painful death.

Chumly

test_account said:

Do you see how the 360 and PS3 fanboys shit up Nintendo threads? Stop acting like its a one sided deal.

hyp

Hcoregamer00 said:
This "nintendo fan" is buying a PS3 first, so I guess this "nintendo fan" just likes supporting underdogs.

Makes sense since I owned a Genesis, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, XBOX and Gamecube (yes, I intentionally left the hot selling consoles I owned at the time).

you must be really proud of yourself "Hcoregamer". skipping out on great games to support an underdog, mindblowing!

argon said:
Incredible Halo numbers, but can you imagine the sales if Microsoft removed backwards compatibility?
Huh? I really don't think they would be changed much at all. MSFT barely has backwards compatibility at all as is.

Kenka

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I live in Switzerland either. Where exactly ? Ah, I'm hoping you'll vote this weekend.

God, please don't talk about these ones...I'm sick of all this Blocher/SVP thing

AdmiralViscen said:
Why are people acting like MP3 did poorly? It's outperforming MP1, which was the first new Metroid game in like 8 years, had totally fresh gameplay, and launched in November instead of September.

Unless MP1 did better than I'm thinking in December, which could simply be chalked up to it being December.

MP3 is exceeding my expectations (or fears?)

By outperforming MP1, it's outperforming ALL Metroid games. People expect it to be Halo, or Mario. It isn't. It's Metroid, which is an established franchise. It's not easy to increase the fanbase of a franchise, and Nintendo didn't even try with MP3. It's a moderate hit--two months running in the top 10--which is perfectly okay for it.

But I am a little disappointed that it isn't riding a little higher on the success of the Wii. Maybe that'll come with time...it does have a promising holiday season ahead of it, and it should have some legs.

Jirotrom

gcfan2k5 said:
Halo3 will sell strong through the next year, and then microsoft will do something clever like Halo 1 + 2 + 3 on the halo3 engine for 59.99 and bundle that with 360 systems next year also.... They are going to milk halo for everything its worth. (though i would certainly buy halo + halo2 on the halo3 engine, along with halo3s multiplayer enhancements and all those nifty features.)
well the thing is... Microsoft is great with third parties, so I don't think they want to step on toes buy constantly milking Halo 3 and blocking out the chance of games like Mass effect and Assassin's Creed from potential sales. They really don't need to milk Halo 3. Xbopx live does this for them already.

Lefty42o

Banned
Maxwell House said:
I think the lower PS3 weekly numbers shows, in part, that MS and Sony share much of the same audience for their consoles, and when one does really well, it effects the other negatively.

well sort of. more than anything it shows the ps2 faithful are not moving onto the ps3 just yet.

and that the ps3 seems to be more hardcore than even the 360 is. i only got mine right away cause i wanted a bluray player. or i would have waited. and i know i am hardcore.

few of my ps2 friends went 360 so i know theres that effect as well.

new 399 price point might help some ps2 owners to move to next gen. we will see how it goes.

Kintaro said:
That's just crazy. Wii took 360's biggest nuke and came away with barely a bruise.
In Hardware, but where it really counts, software, 360 has been in 1st all year in the US, by a big margin. It also has easily the highest software attach ratio of the 3 consoles.

360 = software selling king.

test_account

XP-39C²
titiklabingapat said:

Well.. it still sux no matter the reason :( Its almost that i've started to dislike the "new Nintendo" just because of all this "omg Wii is so fucking great and PS3 sux lolol!" attitude. It have dimmed down a bit since the Wii launch tho, thats good, but i still see it now and then. I dunno why i get sick of it, i shouldnt really care about it. Anyway, i still love my old NES and SNES no matter what happends :)

Chumly said:
Do you see how the 360 and PS3 fanboys shit up Nintendo threads? Stop acting like its a one sided deal.
Indeed. Most don't even talk about the game(because there's none to begin with, lolz) so it almost always comes down to arguments.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Reggie's feeling frisky!

"The Wii went up against the self-proclaimed 'biggest entertainment launch ever' and we emerged with our best month of the year," Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of American, told Reuters.

"They fired their bullet and our gun is loaded and ready to fire throughout the holidays," Fils-Aime said.

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage1

Spike

What Wii releases were there in September? I don't remember anything. And it was that close in sales to the 360's franchise. Damn.

Way to go MS! They finished the fight, but the flood came close.

JCBossman said:
I am going to say it now, Kiilzone2, MGS4, GT5 or Final Fantasy will NOT sell even HALF what Halo 3 is going to do, either First Month or LTD, thats no way to win a console war.
It was clear a while back that Sony wasn't going to be in the running for first place worldwide. It was clear to me that they weren't going to be in the running for second place worldwide. I think the snowball effect that usually occurs is well on its way now. And I still contend that you'll be seeing software cancellations for PS3 starting soon.

schuelma said:
Reggie's feeling frisky!

"The Wii went up against the self-proclaimed 'biggest entertainment launch ever' and we emerged with our best month of the year," Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of American, told Reuters.

"They fired their bullet and our gun is loaded and ready to fire throughout the holidays," Fils-Aime said.

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage1

Funny his mouth didn't run off so much when they were in last place.

StevieP

Banned
gcfan2k5 said:

Halo 3 uses a tweaked version of the same engine as the other 2 titles? Though, I'm sure you mean re-texturing Halo 1 & 2? I don't think there's really a point in that. People will just be playing Halo 3 for a long time.

Nintards, XBots, and the SDF are equally retarded. If anything, I've seen a slight increase of anger from Sony fans over the summer, but that's just natural when your platform of choice is relegated to being in last.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
MightyHedgehog said:
It was clear a while back that Sony wasn't going to be in the running for first place worldwide. It was clear to me that they weren't going to be in the running for second place worldwide. I think the snowball effect that usually occurs is well on its way now. And I still contend that you'll be seeing software cancellations for PS3 starting soon.

I wouldn't count out second place worldwide just yet. 360 is dead in Japan and not doing very hot in Europe. I think Sony can still put up somewhat of a fight worldwide.

In NA though? It's over.

AirBrian

Wii60 FTMFW!

1) The scary thing about the Wii is that it still doesn't have a real killer app yet IMO (outside of WiiSports). I don't even want to imagine the sales when Mario or Smash Bros. comes out. Or WiiFit.

2) Those are some really nice Halo 3 numbers. I'm still not sold on it being a system mover. 3.3 million copies and only 250K more in 360s sold? That and the new SKUs hitting the B&M stores hard this month. I think October's sales will be a better indicator.

3) Oh, Sony. What have you done?

Jammy

Banned
360 sold very, very well for the month. These new SKUs, Halo 3, and the killer line-up for the remainder of the year is going to ensure a shitton of sales.

Wii does extremely well also, even with no decent hits on the software side that came out for the month. Wii Play and MP3: Corruption continue to sell (even if MP3 should have sold much more). Amazing how this system can do over 500,000 in a random month while still being extremely hard to find.

PS3... well... :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
shinsnake said:
Maybe the NES days, but certainly not the SNES days. There were many Genesis fights in my neighborhood. As well as TG-16, which was my console of choice until it died a slow painful death.

There were some NES VS Master System too and certaintly SNES VS Mega Drive also, but in my case i hardly experienced any of this :)

Chumly said:

I know, where have i said its a one sided deal? I just say that for some reason i dislike Nintendo Wii fanboys more than PS3 and 360 fanboys.

Jirotrom

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
hyp said:
you must be really proud of yourself "Hcoregamer". skipping out on great games to support an underdog, mindblowing!

It isn't my fault the XBOX 360 is so unreliable and the Wii is underpowered and wont get smash bros. until Feb 2007.

I certainly am not skipping on the PSP and DS which has some of the best gaming lineups ever.

gcfan2k5

Jirotrom said:
well the thing is... Microsoft is great with third parties, so I don't think they want to step on toes buy constantly milking Halo 3 and blocking out the chance of games like Mass effect and Assassin's Creed from potential sales. They really don't need to milk Halo 3. Xbopx live does this for them already.

Mass Effect isnt going to put up the numbers everyone thinks it will.... KOTOR only sold as well as it did because it was star wars, and star wars was absolutely gigantic back in 2003 because of the new trilogy being in full force. RPG games hardly ever push big numbers in the US.

Microsoft will milk halo3 for all eternity if it can get away with it, third parties or no... and i dont think with the absolutely stunning attach rate 360 has, that its going to be a problem.

Top Bottom