• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
sp0rsk said:
I thought people were expecting the 360 to sell a shit load more than the Wii?

It barely beat it?

A bit disappointing if you ask me.

No, we are too happy with halo 3 sales to notice that little discrepancy.

gcfan2k5

Lefty42o said:
actually they do. alot just has not been announced casue they were focusing on this holiday. and not just first party but second as well

banjo 3
halo wars
peter jackson project
alan wake
fable 2
splinter cell conviction exclusive
possible gears 2

and at this point i am stopping befor a list war develops. its been the whole theme since e3 that there is nothing for 2008. when just cause nothing has been announced does not mean nothing is in the pipe line. after the holidays we will here more about the later 2008 games.

Fable 2 will tank and be hyped to be much more than it really was, much like Fable 1 and other molyneaux projects.

Halo Wars will be great fun if ensemble is given the time to do it right.

Banjo 3 will be decent but ALOT of rare talent has long since left the company.

Alan Wake is amazing in terms of graphics, on the PC ayway... But gameplay wise do we know ANYTHING about it?

Gears 2 ill give you, though its not high up on my personal hype list (gears was a little too short and the multiplayer is broken as hell).

As for the peter jackson game, just because its by peter jackson doesnt mean its going to be good.

Splinter cell ill give you also.

donny2112

mood said:
Where are the charts

USConsoles-4.png

USJapan-1.png

WWConsoles-2.png

PS360vsWii.png

360vsPS3-2.png

Gaborn said:
According to Wikipedia (not always reliable but better than nothing) Wii has 8 million selling games (as of July), 360 has 12, PS3 has 2. Considering the 360 had a year's head start and the PS3... didn't the Wii compares pretty favorably.
I am almost positive that for 2007 so far, 360 has sold at least 50% more software units than Wii has.

360 is a software selling juggernaut, pure and simple. Wii is selling the most hardware, 360 the most software.

Does NPD keep track of TOTAL software units sold for each console each month? That would make for some very interesting graphs.

Kuroyume

Banned
sp0rsk said:

It barely beat it?

You sound disappointed.

HALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
besada said:
Don't stop believing!

Would these be the straw people? I mostly remember seeing 360 fans cheer that the box might sell better at all. The numbers it did sell were WAY over most people's predictions.

I specifically remember Cubsfan stating that the 360 would sell a million consoles this month.

test_account

XP-39C²
StevieP said:
Wait for Virtua Fighter 5?

With todays conditions its more like Virtua Fighter 6, 7 and 8 :p But seriously, ye, i do wait for "Virtua Fighter 5" just to see how it does and if it really can change anything :)

Jammy

Banned
P.S. What's selling on the PSP? The new hardware just came out and the system got a boost in sales, but its software is still just as bad as it has always been. The attach ratio is most likely getting worse now.

We see DS get its huge sales but also see several of its games chart. Zelda: PH (this is looking to outperform The Minish Cap by a TON) and Brain Age 2 are up there (this being Brain Age 2's second month). And then there's still the combined sales of Pokemon which I'm sure sold another couple hundred thousand-plus. My Sims also sold ~95,000.

indie85

Banned
Nov 2004 NPD
XBox: 708K

Sep 2007 NPD
XBox 360: 528K

bububu, the day 360 claimed sony's spot. what an IDIOTIC, flambaiting thread.

MS Went For The Jugular:

Here are some of their bullet points for the month:

Xbox 360 Tops Console Sales in September and outsells PS3 5:1
o Xbox 360 sales built upon its growth from last month, showing a 50 percent increase for the month of September selling an average of 105,600 consoles per week. Total sales were more than 528,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold, compared to 501,000 for Wii and 119,000 for PS3.

o PS3 sales posted an average weekly decline of 27 percent.

Xbox 360 software revenue at retail outsold PS3's software portfolio 8:1 and Wii's 4:1, selling 3 times more than both platforms combined.
o For the month of September according to NPD, Xbox 360 software represented 74 percent of total software sales for the next generation market compared to 17 percent for Wii and 9 percent for PS3. Even without the sales of "Halo 3" the Xbox 360 portfolio outsold the PS3 portfolio 2:1.

Additionally, Xbox 360 is home to the best-selling games with the top-rated next-generation titles.
o According to the world-wide authority in entertainment reviews, Metacritic, Xbox 360 has 80 titles with a Metacritic review score of 80 or higher compared to just 31 for PS3 and 11 for Wii.

o Newly released title "The Orange Box" (Valve) and the highly anticipated title "Mass Effect" (Microsoft Game Studios) have both generated rankings of 97 and higher according to Metacritic. And not to forget "BioShock" (2KGames) which remains one of the year's highest rated games.

Xbox 360 held six spots in the Top Ten Console Games, led by initial sales of "Halo 3" Xbox 360
o In its first two weeks, the three editions of "Halo 3" placed #1, 2 and 3 overall for console title sales - for a total of more than $225 million in sales in the U.S. with 3.3 million units. Average unit prices were $69 per game. The $130 "Halo 3: Legendary Edition" alone sold twice as many units as the top title for PS3 "Heavenly Sword" (SCE); the helmet is mightier than the sword.

o Proving that Xbox 360 is the new home for sports gamers, "Madden NFL '08" (EA) on Xbox 360 was again the leading next gen platform with 173,000 units sold, compared to the PS3 at 62,000 and Wii at 58,000. To date, "Madden NFL '08" has sold 1.1 million units on Xbox 360, 87 percent more than other next-gen platforms combined.

o Xbox 360 exclusive "BioShock" has sold 641,000 units through the end of September and remains to be on track to sell more than 1 million units. While "Halo 3" and "Madden NFL '08" have led the way as the first of a string of titles that are expected to sell more than 1 million units between now and the end of the year.

o Rounding out the top titles for Xbox 360, "Skate" (EA) came in at #6. The Xbox 360 version of the innovative titles outsold the PS3 version 6:1.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Maybe I'm not retarded, haha.

I think around double what it usually sells on a 5 week period is pretty weak for a period when a game sells 3.3 million units. Only beats a console that had Zero releases for the month by 25~k.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Reminds me of the GCN outselling everything during holiday '03. Moral of the story: Don't make any long term predictions based on one month's numbers.

mood

sp0rsk said:

It barely beat it?

Why would you think this when GAF predicted the Wii would sell more than the 360

gcfan2k5

Jammy said:
P.S. What's selling on the PSP? The new hardware just came out and the system got a boost in sales, but its software is still just as bad as it has always been. The attach ratio is most likely getting worse now.

We see DS get its huge sales but also see several of its games chart. Zelda: PH (this is looking to outperform The Minish Cap by a TON) and Brain Age 2 are up there (this being Brain Age 2's second month). And then there's still the combined sales of Pokemon which I'm sure sold another couple hundred thousand-plus. My Sims also sold ~95,000.

Nothing is selling on PSP, and nothing ever will so long as custom firmware exists.... id estimate 30% of the people witha PSP got it for movies/music, and 68% got it for pirating games, and for emulators. The other 2% got it for games.

Lefty42o

Banned
gcfan2k5 said:
Fable 2 will tank and be hyped to be much more than it really was, much like Fable 1 and other molyneaux projects.

Halo Wars will be great fun if ensemble is given the time to do it right.

Banjo 3 will be decent but ALOT of rare talent has long since left the company.

Alan Wake is amazing in terms of graphics, on the PC ayway... But gameplay wise do we know ANYTHING about it?

Gears 2 ill give you, though its not high up on my personal hype list (gears was a little too short and the multiplayer is broken as hell).

As for the peter jackson game, just because its by peter jackson doesnt mean its going to be good.

Splinter cell ill give you also.

ok man. your opinion is yours. done arguing about next year. i still have this year to get done.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Lefty42o said:
actually they do. alot just has not been announced casue they were focusing on this holiday. and not just first party but second as well

banjo 3
halo wars
peter jackson project
alan wake
fable 2
possible gears 2

since when is remedy.. dev's of alan wake. owned by MS?

splinter cell isnt 2nd party either. just because a game is exclusive doesnt make it 1st/2nd party .

beat

Hunter D said:
I wonder when sony will lower the number of PS2s they are shipping. The PS2 is helping to kill the PS3. I've been saying it for months and will keep saying it.
Because if people can't find a $130 console at the store, they'll plunk down for a $500 one instead?

So what are the big games for November NPD??

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Mass Effect
3. Uncharted
4. Call of Duty 4
5. Guitar Hero 3???
6. Rock Band???
7. Assassin's Creed

What else? Damn, November has some heavy hitters coming out. That will be a VERY interesting month for software sales ranks. I predict:

1. SMG
2. Guitar Hero 3 (all versions combined)
3. Mass Effect
4. Call of Duty 4 (all versions combined)
5. Rock Band (all versions combined)
6. Assassisn's Creed (all versions combined)
7. Uncharted

Edit: Forgot about Halo 3 haha. I am guessing Halo 3 is top 3 that month still.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, Microsoft just went to Sony and took out their effing heart, Temple of Doom style.

Grecco

Maxwell House said:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Mass Effect
3. Uncharted
4. Call of Duty 4
5. Guitar Hero 3???
6. Rock Band???
7. Assassin's Creed

GH3 releases Oct 30 i think. Will probably chart on Octobers NPD.

Maxwell House said:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Mass Effect
3. Uncharted
4. Call of Duty 4
5. Guitar Hero 3???
6. Rock Band???
7. Assassin's Creed

What else? Damn, November has some heavy hitters coming out. That will be a VERY interesting month for software sales ranks. I predict:

1. SMG
3. Mass Effect
7. Uncharted

I think the SW prediction thread for November will be at least 20 titles.

Lefty42o

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
since when is remedy.. dev's of alan wake. owned by MS?

splinter cell isnt 2nd party either. just because a game is exclusive doesnt make it 1st/2nd party .

1. ms is publishing alan wake hence second party
2. splinter cell is exclusive to the 360 hence it falls in the same category. thats why i added the exclusive tag. ms had to pay for that. same as they would if they published it.

the comment on was on
ms software coming out and i pointed out an exclusive game cause its not a mulitplat game so it is a console specific title. but if you wnat to nitpick fine/

gcfan2k5

Maxwell House said:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Mass Effect
3. Uncharted
4. Call of Duty 4
5. Guitar Hero 3???
6. Rock Band???
7. Assassin's Creed

1. SMG
3. Mass Effect
7. Uncharted

I dont think there is any way in hell COD4 on 360 + ps3 + pc will do less than mass effect..... COD4 on 360 alone should prove more than a match for mass effect.

Rock Band will probably be a bit further down that list honestly, the price of entry is pretty steep and its not widely known by the casuals, not like guitar hero is.

besada said:
Talk about kicking someone when they're down...

"The $130 "Halo 3: Legendary Edition" alone sold twice as many units as the top title for PS3 "Heavenly Sword" (SCE); the helmet is mightier than the sword."

From the MS response to the numbers.

That's embarrassing, but it's also embarrassing that the Wii almost went neck to neck with the 360 in hardware sales despite Halo 3 launching that month. The Wii really didn't even have any compelling software that month to make matters worse. The gap between each console is astonishing.

Lefty42o said:

banjo 3
halo wars
peter jackson project
alan wake
fable 2
possible gears 2
Don't forget:

Lost Odyssey
Ninja Gaiden 2
Cry On

indie85

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Thanks for the charts

I didn't even know that the PS3 is doing THAT bad. I thought that it was doing relatively well in Europe.
Considering the gap is now smaller between 360 and ps3 without any big hitters and a $600 price tag for most of this period, i dont think its doing THAT bad.

Hcoregamer00

indie85 said:
How much better is Halo3? I thought it was the game to end all games, certainly better than halo2 right?

Anything is better than Halo 2, I will never forget my dissapointment with that game.

gcfan2k5

Lefty42o said:
ok man. your opinion is yours. done arguing about next year. i still have this year to get done.

I still have this year to get done too, and im not going to make it..... I buy just about every major release on all consoles (look at my gamercard on MGC.net...) Im rooting for Nintendo but im a gamer FIRST.

Hcoregamer00

indie85 said:
Considering the gap is now smaller between 360 and ps3 without any big hitters and a $600 price tag for most of this period, i dont think its doing THAT bad.

11.5 million vs. 4.7 million

That is a HUGE gap.

Even the PSP vs. DS didn't have a gap that large until the DS lite came out.

sp0rsk said:

It barely beat it?

What I remember is everyone saying that predictions of 400k+ for 360 in September were insane. :lol

Frillen

Maxwell House said:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Mass Effect
3. Uncharted
4. Call of Duty 4
5. Guitar Hero 3???
6. Rock Band???
7. Assassin's Creed

1. SMG
3. Mass Effect
7. Uncharted

Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2008, Mario Party DS?

Lefty42o

Banned
gcfan2k5 said:
I still have this year to get done too, and im not going to make it..... I buy just about every major release on all consoles (look at my gamercard on MGC.net...) Im rooting for Nintendo but im a gamer FIRST.

same here.

sorry you aren't excited about 2008 on the 360 front as i am. different strokes for different folks

Top Bottom