• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

indie85

Banned
besada said:
It sold 3.3 million in less than two weeks, so, um...yes?
Well done on being an idiot, Im not talking about how many xtards got suckered in, its system sales we're talking about. How many consoles Halo3 pushed, must be the biggest publicity blizt ever seen right, best game ever and all, surely should push more systems than its predecessor?

Kbsmoker said:
It the same with the xbox 360. Its biggest game comes out and it barely beats the wii with no big releases this month. If there were more wii in the stores it would have out sold it.

Both the xbox 360 and PS3 are failures. No way to spin these numbers anymore....

Depends on how you look at it . . . the Wii could be considered a failure . . . it sells over 500K units of h/w but can only get a single game in the top 10 software? (Two if you count Wii Play, but I don't count Wii Play, that is hardware.) The PS3 sold dick for hardware and it got Heavenly Sword in the Top 10.

eclipze

indie85 said:
How much better is Halo3? I thought it was the game to end all games, certainly better than halo2 right?

You do realize that when Halo 2 launched, it was in November, which is part of the holiday season. Halo 3 launched in September, well before the start of the holiday rush. Factor in the difference in price and it's easy to see that Halo 3 was much more successful than Halo 2. In the same amount of time it sold 600k more on an install base of 4 million less for fucks sake. Thats the epitome of success.

edit: calling people xtards is not quite acceptable around these parts. i would refrain from such comments if i were you.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
hmmm, looks like i underestimated the demand for a new 360
i wonder how many of those were second systems...
and overestimated the supply for the Wii a bit this month i was right about software for the most part, Bioshock did end up getting beat by MP3, though i'm thoroughly surprised that MP3 didn't put up bigger numbers. still, i expect
hope
it to remain in the top ten next month, showing similar legs to that of Twilight Princess. i also called the PS2 madden overtaking the 360 madden and Brain Age 2 making the top 10. forgot that skate and heavenly sword launched, though i'm a bit surprised that skate made the top 10.

honestly i expect 360 and halo numbers to fall sharply for october. i'm certain that halo 3 will still be in the top 10, but the 360 will not be top dog next month. 360 numbers probably wont be all the way down to sub 200k, but Wii supply will certainly outstrip as it has started to rise this week.

mood

indie85 said:
Nov 2004 NPD
XBox: 708K

Sep 2007 NPD
XBox 360: 528K

bububu, the day 360 claimed sony's spot. what an IDIOTIC, flambaiting thread.

I wouldnt be surprised if the 360 beats those NOV numbers this year :D

beef3483

Reggie was right, at least so far.

Halo 3, far and away, sold mostly to people who already owned the system. If you account the 300k increase in 360 hardware sales from last month to this month to Halo 3s release, then only around 11 percent of those that bought Halo 3 purchased a system with it.

gcfan2k5

cjelly said:
I thought Fable did over a million.

It did, it still fell way way short of the hype molyneaux and the xbox fanboys were putting behind it at the time. I enjoyed it, but it wasnt 10% of what was promised. The hype and marketing push for fable, it shouldve done way over a million.

Draft

indie85 said:
Well done on being an idiot, Im not talking about how many xtards got suckered in, its system sales we're talking about. How many consoles Halo3 pushed, must be the biggest publicity blizt ever seen right, best game ever and all, surely should push more systems than its predecessor?
I love it when you catch a meltdown in progress.

indie85

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
11.5 million vs. 4.7 million

That is a HUGE gap.

Even the PSP vs. DS didn't have a gap that large until the DS lite came out.
Ok, bravo on not being able to read a chart, the gap at the beginning on launch day of ps3 was BIGGER than it currently is today, ie it has SHRUNK. Again, at $600 with no big hitters and yet 360 hasnt managed to extend any lead during this period, but to the contrary and this is supposed to be 'THAT bad'?

Frillen

speculawyer said:
Depends on how you look at it . . . the Wii could be considered a failure . . . it sells over 500K units of h/w but can only get a single game in the top 10 software? (Two if you count Wii Play, but I don't count Wii Play, that is hardware.) The PS3 sold dick for hardware and it got Heavenly Sword in the Top 10.

It's pretty unfair to make any drastic comments about Software sales when we only get the top 10. For all we know, the Wii could potentially have 5+ titles from 11th to 20th place.

besada

Banned
indie85 said:

Nice and angry. It's good you don't have strong feelings about this. It doubled the sales. I know that hurts you in your private place, but try not to make such a spectacle of yourself.

crbowen

speculawyer said:
And Wii Play is a hardware title.

When I bought Wii Play at Target back in February or whenever it was released, there was a mid 30's-ish soccer mom behind me that wanted to buy it. She asked me if it was "Wii Sports 2."

I really don't think people are buying it for the controller. Why spend 10 bucks extra for a controller? I really think people (the Wii Sports crowd) see Wii Play as a companion to Wii Sports, which it kind of is.

And yeah, anecdotal evidence blah blah blah.

beef3483 said:
Reggie was right, at least so far.

Halo 3, far and away, sold mostly to people who already owned the system. If you account the 300k increase in 360 hardware sales from last month to this month to Halo 3s release, then only around 11 percent of those that bought Halo 3 purchased a system with it.

Pretty much. I think that Halo 3 will be in the top ten next month, but it's going to suffer from a swift fall. It's not like they're going to sell 3.3 million copies again next month.

If Sony can't make an impact next month with the big price drop then I really do think they're in trouble.

Slavik81

speculawyer said:
There aren't any Wii games besides Metroid Prime 3 that DESERVE to be in the top ten. Maybe when developers have a good game on the system and it tanks they have the right to complain that their games aren't selling, but they can't not make games and then complain when consumers don't buy those games that don't exist.

Nearly every Wii title with critical praise has sold well.

Absinthe said:
If Sony can't make an impact next month with the big price drop then I really do think they're in trouble.
So they're not in trouble yet?

hyp

"reggie was right" should be a new gaf meme. i don't know how many times it's been used in this thread already.

TheKurgan

Wow at the 360 numbers - huge! 100k more than I thought. Halo 3 was huge like expected and it still managed some good 3rd party software numbers. Quickly becoming the 3rd party platform of choice.

Wii continues to sell well but no one is buying software for it (Wii Play sells for the extra controller IMHO). I picture a bunch of soccer moms playing Wii Sports and Wii fit on it but not much else. 3rd party software sales are nonexistent. The hardcore nintendo faithful support first party titles like MP3 but abandon the 3rd party stuff - not a good sign for anyone but nintendo.

PS3 - this thing is dieing a slow death. Sad to see. You think it would sell more than 20k a week just because it's the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market. With 360's install base millions of consoles ahead and growing the PS3 is destined to be a 360 port machine. Good first party software can't come soon enough but I am beginning to feel 08 will be too late for Sony. If the 40GB sku doesn't triple sales PS3 is dead in NA.

Kuroyume

Banned
indie85 said:

Fantastic :lol Keep those tears flowing :lol

besada

Banned
indie85 said:
omg, im melting down, loosing my mind, hur hur

1st step in meltdown: Start ranting like a crazy man -- check.
2nd step in meltdown: Deny having meltdown -- check.

Please, pray continue.

indie85

Banned
besada said:
Nice and angry. It's good you don't have strong feelings about this. It doubled the sales. I know that hurts you in your private place, but try not to make such a spectacle of yourself.
You complete idiot, im not angry either, just tired of dealing with idiots such as yourself, nothing personal. Try and COMPREHEND what i said in my last post addressed to you and see then who's making a spectacle of themself.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
What I remember is everyone saying that predictions of 400k+ for 360 in September were insane.

+ "everyone who wants to play Halo 3 has bought an X360 already"

(though i guess that IS true! lol... well... eeryone except 500k people)

indie85 said:
Nov 2004 NPD
XBox: 708K

Sep 2007 NPD
XBox 360: 528K

bububu, the day 360 claimed sony's spot. what an IDIOTIC, flambaiting thread.
As everyone has already pointed out, September vs November. That isn't even close to being a fair comparison.

I bet 360 sells more than 708k units this November.

mood

indie85 said:
You complete idiot, im not angry either, just tired of dealing with idiots such as yourself, nothing personal. Try and COMPREHEND what i said in my last post addressed to you and see then who's making a spectacle of themself.

So tired that you finally... broke? :D

Love the personal insults too.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
TheKurgan said:
Wii continues to sell well but no one is buying software for it (Wii Play sells for the extra controller IMHO). I picture a bunch of soccer moms playing Wii Sports and Wii fit on it but not much else. 3rd party software sales are nonexistent. The hardcore nintendo faithful support first party titles like MP3 but abandon the 3rd party stuff - not a good sign for anyone but nintendo.

Tell me what goddamned third party game deserved to sell last month on Wii.

Guitar Hero 3 is going to be veeeeeeerrry interesting.

Hunter D

indie85 said:
Your tears taste really good. Now I know how Freddy felt.

besada

Banned
indie85 said:

Continuing nicely on to step three. Wave to the crowd!

SRG01

:lol at the bitter tears.

More to the point: it is painfully obvious that Halo 3 was the motivator behind the 360 purchases. Congratulations to MS in North America, really. But time will tell if this momentum keeps up by Black Friday and into early Q8.

(PS. SHAMEFUL PS3 sales. :( And I own one too. No system sellers and a relatively slow September for Sony makes me a sad panda.)

Frillen

TheKurgan said:
Wow at the 360 numbers - huge! 100k more than I thought. Halo 3 was huge like expected and it still managed some good 3rd party software numbers. Quickly becoming the 3rd party platform of choice.

PS3 - this thing is dieing a slow death. Sad to see. You think it would sell more than 20k a week just because it's the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market. With 360's install base millions of consoles ahead and growing the PS3 is destined to be a 360 port machine. Good first party software can't come soon enough but I am beginning to feel 08 will be too late for Sony. If the 40GB sku doesn't triple sales PS3 is dead in NA.

Again, you people do realize that titles outside of the top 10 also sell, right? It's pretty much impossible to make any "big" software sales comments when you only get the top 10.

gcfan2k5

schuelma said:
Tell me what goddamned third party game deserved to sell last month on Wii.

Guitar Hero 3 is going to be veeeeeeerrry interesting.

GH3 will probably sell the most on the PS2 followed closely by Wii/360 or 360/Wii.

Rock Band will sell the most on 360, by far.

indie85 said:
Ok, bravo on not being able to read a chart, the gap at the beginning on launch day of ps3 was BIGGER than it currently is today, ie it has SHRUNK. Again, at $600 with no big hitters and yet 360 hasnt managed to extend any lead during this period, but to the contrary and this is supposed to be 'THAT bad'?
Yes, it got smaller due to the LAUNCH, but the gap between 360 and PS3 is back to almost pre PS3 launch levels now. I believe 360 only had 6.5 million units sold worldwide when PS3 game out, so actually, the gap might be the same now as it was pre-PS3 launch.

Anyways, I predict 360 to have at least a 7 million unit gap on PS3 by the end of Christmas worldwide.

Edit: That chart shows 360 having sold 7.5 million by PS3 launch. Hmm...

Lefty42o

Banned
indie85 said:

so what would you call it when a game comes out and the hardware numbers spike and infact almost double?

thew point is did ms sell more hardware cause of halo 3? looks like it. yes it could have done better. alot of things could happen. but your posts on the matter are baffling cause if the 500,000 was not from halo 3 than maybe the 360 has started selling at wii levels.

i personally feel the spike was cause of halo 3 but if you want to say the 360 is now selling on its own at wii levels fine by me 2:D

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Sorry if this has been answered, but how exactly did MS take Sony's place? I'm being 100% serious when I say this - I have no idea what the thread title is supposed to mean. Can someone clue me in?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cjelly said:
What games are all these Wii owners buying?

Just... wow.

Besides MP3 what "real" game should have charted for Wii this month?

Hunter D

indie85 said:
For guy that doesn't care you're really angry.

SRG01

RSTEIN said:
Sorry if this has been answered, but how exactly did MS take Sony's place? I'm being 100% serious when I say this - I have no idea what the thread title is supposed to mean. Can someone clue me in?

It's a tongue in cheek comment.

Slavik81

DCharlie said:

+ "everyone who wants to play Halo 3 has bought an X360 already"

(though i guess that IS true! lol... well... eeryone except 500k people)
So without the release of Halo 3 on the 25th, the 360 would have sold 28k this month? You put a surprising amount of faith in the Halo brand. And surprisingly little in the Xbox.

beef3483 said:

Last month was the month of the 360 price cut, so numbers for that month are higher than usual.
September NPD accounts for 11(?) days of Halo 3 sales, I'm sure the game and the hardware is still selling well through October, and will receive another boost in November (with an even larger boost in December, as usual).

crbowen

TheKurgan said:

3rd parties on Wii are trying to be Nintendo and are trying to make Nintendo games. They see Nintendo's initial success and try to rush to the market and capitalize on it. Carnival Games, EA's casual line, etc. 3rd parties need to realize they aren't Nintendo and come up with something original.

Absinthe said:
Pretty much. I think that Halo 3 will be in the top ten next month, but it's going to suffer from a swift fall. It's not like they're going to sell 3.3 million copies again next month.

PS3 may very well drop to below 100K in October. 1 less week, rumors of another price drop for a couple of weeks, $399 system announced 2 weeks before end of the month. Unless there is a demand for the 80GB unit people are going to hold off until November.

Frenck

Banned
Next month it's back to business as usual, but Nintendo fans can't accept that. All the years of torture under Sony's reign have taken their toll and they won't even give us September without their batshit insane spinning.

:lol

Pimpwerx

360 had a great month thanks to Halo. I wonder if this is gonna hold all the way through the holidays. Could be huge for them this year.

The PS3 is floundering, to be nice. Nothing will save it, I guess *hugs PS3*. It's ok, baby, we'll make it through this somehow.

Wii...fuck you.

Halo3 sales are ridonkulous. Bungie and MS did a good job with everything from the marketing to the release, and that's a very nice payday for a lot of people. 3.3 jillion sales confirmed. :lol PEACE.

Top Bottom