• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Chrange

Banned
GarthVaderUK said:
Last month was the month of the 360 price cut, so numbers for that month are higher than usual.
September NPD accounts for 11(?) days of Halo 3 sales, I'm sure the game and the hardware is still selling well through October, and will receive another boost in November (with an even larger boost in December, as usual).

It's been what...three weeks since Halo launched? You still can't buy a copy of the game or a 360 console here unless you happen to show up as soon as the store opens. They don't even have a slot reserved for it in the display anymore, just one of the Legendary helmets in the bottom of the case with a "Halo 3 sold out" sign.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just got home.

Well.....

How much longer can the PS3 go on like this?

Xbox 360 outperformed my expectations.

Wii.......What can you say?

When is the PS3's funeral? I think I might attend.

Jirotrom

gcfan2k5 said:
No, i mean bundles for NEXT holiday... 2008 not this holiday. NEXT year microsoft doesnt have a whole lot in terms of first party offerings that ive been able to see.
i got you, I kept thinking you meant this holiday season.

karasu

Frenck said:
Technically it didn't.

If you add up all Nintendo Software and Hardware sales they still beat out MS by a pretty big margin. MS achieved nothing once again and Halo 3 is a joke compared to expectations, it didn't even move 1 million consoles :lol

Total non-event.

Why would you compare the sales of the 360 to the sales of the Wii AND the DS?

Has there ever been a game that moved a million consoles in a month? :eek:

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Not when the original was a $149 system selling in November. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Wow, $149 system plus holiday sales plus Halo 2 is greater than Halo 3 alone.

Yeah. Plus Halo 2 had more weeks in that month than Halo 3 had in September.

gcfan2k5

Chrange said:
It's been what...three weeks since Halo launched? You still can't buy a copy of the game or a 360 console here unless you happen to show up as soon as the store opens. They don't even have a slot reserved for it in the display anymore, just one of the Legendary helmets in the bottom of the case with a "Halo 3 sold out" sign.

One of the local Wal-marts here has had over 100 copies sitting in the halo3 display case since launch (they had over 500 for launch, plus the legendary helmets which quickly sold out). Stock for halo3 has been present just about everywhere here, though retailers here stocked up more heavily than most places would, because there are four colleges in this town of 50 thousand people.

rakka

Frenck said:
Technically it didn't.

If you add up all Nintendo Software and Hardware sales they still beat out MS by a pretty big margin. MS achieved nothing once again and Halo 3 is a joke compared to expectations, it didn't even move 1 million consoles :lol

Total non-event.

err

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Kodiak said:
the worldwide synched launch charts for PS3 and 360 make things seem less grim for Sony

I don't think a lot of western companies take that into account due to the fact that the Wii has pretty much become the defacto console in Japan. Sony doesn't have the overwhelming support of the Japanese market this generation, not to mention that their games don't really sell well in Japan anyways. if I'm in their war room looking at this, it is basically Europe and America where you will get 95% of your sales. That is what you focus on.

crbowen

TheKurgan said:
I won't disagree - most games on the Wii are shit. But take a title like Madden (ultimate casual gamer game) it's sales are nonexistant compared to the PS3 or 360 especially when you consider how large Wii's install base is. If 3rd party had a chance on Wii you would should see Madden in the top 10 this month. When EA does it's budget for next year it will put less effort into Wii Sports games in 08 because they doesn't sell as well as the 360 or PS3 versions. Wii will continue to be the PS2 port machine for 3rd parties.

I think the Western 3rd party situation is pretty bad, unless Ubisoft of all companies can somehow show the way, but I think Japanese 3rd parties will do really well, especially this coming year.

gcfan2k5 said:
It did, it still fell way way short of the hype molyneaux and the xbox fanboys were putting behind it at the time. I enjoyed it, but it wasnt 10% of what was promised. The hype and marketing push for fable, it shouldve done way over a million.

According to this press release, Fable has sold more than 2 million worldwide. It sold 600,000 in the US in its month of release (september 2004). By all accounts, it was a huge success on Xbox.

gcfan2k5

BrokenSymmetry said:
According to this press release, Fable has sold more than 2 million worldwide. It sold 600,000 in the US in its month of release (september 2004). By all accounts, it was a huge success on Xbox.

it sold ~2.5 million worldwide, and was the fourth best selling game on the xbox next to halo, halo2 and splinter cell.... however, it was hyped as the best RPG of all time, and the push for it was unbelievable at the time for an RPG game, it was expected to do much better than it actually did. And besides that, it was a letdown compared to what molyneaux promised of the game, and thats why i am being cautious with fable2.

crbowen

karasu said:
Why would you compare the sales of the 360 to the sales of the Wii AND the DS?

Has there ever been a game that moved a million consoles in a month? :eek:

Didn't the 360 move a million units when Gears was released? But that was around the holidays, I think.

Chrange

Banned
donny2112 said:
360vsPS3-2.png

That's pretty amazing, and would maybe mean something if they actually had synched launch dates. Hell, that'd put the PS3 ahead by an incredibly slim margin, instead of maintaining their considerable lead...if it was golf.

Slavik81

Smokey Bones said:
HOLY SHIT 3,300,000 MILLION COPIES OF HALO 3 IN 5 DAYS

FUCKK
Halo's shaping up to be the third-best selling game of the year.

Burning Crusade sold about the same as Halo first day. Maybe more, in fact...
But it slowed much more quickly... Still, given that it was launched in January and sold 3.1 million in its first month, it probably will have sold a few more units before the end of the year.

Pokemon's the only other big one and will probably outsell them both.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
crbowen said:
I think the Western 3rd party situation is pretty bad, unless Ubisoft of all companies can somehow show the way, but I think Japanese 3rd parties will do really well, especially this coming year.

Ubisoft is based in Europe.

EA will still destroy faces.

SEGA will continue to flounder

Capcom will still play second fiddle to EA along with Ubi

Your post is completely incorrect.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I don't know why people keep expecting Metroid to be some sort of big seller. It exists in its own little world, and nothing will change that, not even the Wii's success. It's not on the same pace the original Prime was on, but both Prime and Echoes had the huge benefit of a Christmas lift in their second months. So I do think Corruption will be a bit more of a slow burner in comparison. This is the first of the trilogy that has been released in August.

Awesome for the 360 though. I said I wouldn't be surprised if it managed to hit 500k, although I would've assumed sales that were a bit lower.

loosus

Banned
Damn. All it took was one month of slight difference for the retarded Nintendo fans to get shaken back into Super Tardo Mode. God. Were you guys that sure the Wii was never going to be outsold?

I guess a Nintendo fan's world is certainly a rocky one.

rakka

Mgoblue201 said:
I don't know why people keep expecting Metroid to be some sort of big seller. It exists in its own little world, and nothing will change that, not even the Wii's success.
a little marketing could have helped.

Arde5643

loosus said:
Damn. All it took was one month of slight difference for the retarded Nintendo fans to get shaken back into Super Tardo Mode. God. Were you guys that sure the Wii was never going to be outsold?

You, sir, are not helping to lower the level of stupidity in this thread.

Quazar

gcfan2k5 said:
it sold ~2.5 million worldwide, and was the fourth best selling game on the xbox next to halo, halo2 and splinter cell.... however, it was hyped as the best RPG of all time, and the push for it was unbelievable at the time for an RPG game, it was expected to do much better than it actually did. And besides that, it was a letdown compared to what molyneaux promised of the game, and thats why i am being cautious with fable2.

Was it really? I thought the reason MS snagged Lionhead is because it surprised even MS.

crbowen

Kodiak said:
Ubisoft is based in Europe.

EA will still destroy faces.

SEGA will continue to flounder

Capcom will still play second fiddle to EA along with Ubi

Your post is completely incorrect.

I have upset NeoGAF superstar Kodiak! Who put sand in your vagina?

Sorry I was wrong, Jesus.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
rakka said:

It had a Wii Would Like to Play style commercial, big ass stands in every EB, and got constant reel time at walmart, target, best buy, etc., plus a big magazine and online push.

Such little effort, Nintendo!

Brashnir

Frenck said:
Technically it didn't.

Total non-event.

while I realize this is a joke post (well at least I hope it is), it's still not true.

You see, Microsoft does a pretty brisk trade in certain types of software that don't necessarily show up on NPD.

Sharp

loosus said:

I was hoping this would be your first worthwhile post but I guess this isn't the thread for it.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
crbowen said:
I have upset NeoGAF superstar Kodiak! Who put sand in your vagina?

Sorry I was wrong, Jesus.

I didn't mean to seem upset. I mean, I got sex like three hours ago and I'm really happy right now. Honest.

C4Lukins

I guess at about 8 pm central time, people start turning into werewolves. This thread has taken a giant nosedive in civility. We were doing so well.

Grecco

Kodiak said:
It had a Wii Would Like to Play style commercial, big ass stands in every EB, and got constant reel time at walmart, target, best buy, etc., plus a big magazine and online push.

Ill give you most of that. But i never once saw a magazine add for Metroid. Ive seen tons for Eternal Sonata, Warhawk, Stranglehold, Blue Dragon, and other sort of err bombs.

Slavik81 said:
Halo's shaping up to be the third-best selling game of the year.

Burning Crusade sold about the same as Halo first day. Maybe more, in fact...
But it slowed much more quickly... Still, given that it was launched in January and sold 3.1 million in its first month, it probably will have sold a few more units before the end of the year.

Pokemon's the only other big one and will probably outsell them both.
Don't count Mario Galaxy out just yet.

crbowen

Kodiak said:
I didn't mean to seem upset. I mean, I got sex like three hours ago and I'm really happy right now. Honest.

Well that's alright my man. Just tell us you used some method of birth control. I think it would benefit all of us to know there won't be any little Kodiaks running around anytime soon, you know?

rakka

Kodiak said:

the commercials sucked total ass. trying to sell a hardcore game to casuals, great idea nintendo!

and the push came like 3 days before the damn game came out.

there's a reason why the official thread was called "official thread of lack of hype for awesome".

sp0rsk said:
Guys, chill on the bitter tears and fanboy bullshit.
Microsoft and Nintendo market in America.

The events and sales of the 360 and Wii will continue, maybe not at the same paces they did this month, but the market is open and willing for two leader consoles. This time we get that.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
rakka said:
I'm not gonna pretend that the marketing for MP3 was exceptional, but people put way too much focus on it. Just because a game doesn't sell as well as fans hope doesn't mean it was poorly marketed, and just because a game sells great doesn't mean that it's because of marketing. Nintendo spent money on a decent Echoes ad campaign, and at the end of the day it probably wasn't worth the effort, as it sold half as much as Prime. Metroid has its own fanbase who buy the game, and I don't think focusing beyond that is really all that productive for Nintendo. Corruption had an ad campaign, it wasn't all that great, but I don't think it really cost Nintendo many sales at all.

MisterHero

Grecco said:
Ill give you most of that. But i never once saw a magazine add for Metroid. Ive seen tons for Eternal Sonata, Warhawk, Stranglehold, Blue Dragon, and other sort of err bombs.
Nintendo Power always has the exclusives on Metroid Prime 3 and other games in general. It will be the same for Smash in the next issue.

I heard somewhere that Hunters and Prime 3 are the fastest-selling Metroid games thus far. It's not enough time for Prime 3 to compare to other Metroids but the NPD before this one set the pace. Metroid is slowly gaining popularity. Bummer for it not being much faster.

Maybe Metroid V on DS will do better...

Top Bottom