• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

JudgeN

schuelma said:
Yeah, an ultra violent, sadistic stealth game should be a measure of mainstream 3rd party success.

Why doesn't RE4 count again?

Because the game was budget priced, jesus people when we see a full price game sell 500k+ when you can say 3rd parties make money off Wii games.

Elfforkusu said:
Christmas + the first real Mario game in 11 years

Come on now.

JudgeN said:
Because the game was budget priced, jesus people when we see a full price game sell 500k+ when you can say 3rd parties make money off Wii games.

BU BU BU BU BU BU BUHHHHHHHH RED STEEL AND RAYMAN.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
JudgeN said:

Capcom's own expectations were something like 425K world wide. It's going to do twice that. Isn't that all that matters? Publishers expectations?

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Sharp said:
Yes, it did, but that's okay, because Retro wasn't going to be making more Prime games regardless.
Incredibly compelling argument. Metroid is a series with a track record. At this point, people know what they're getting when they buy Metroid. It has little potential of reaching beyond that audience. Metroid has typically oscillated between 800k and 1.3 million in the US, and obviously things like marketing can make that 500k difference, but that's only one part of it. When you have such an established franchise, seeing a commercial isn't gonna convince a person who bought Prime to suddenly jump into Echoes or Corruption. It's gonna take other factors. You can blame Nintendo for not creating a buzz around Corruption, certainly. But what happens if Corruption ends up outselling a game that got theater spots, that had a big marketing budget and had commercials shown everywhere, including during the ALCS? Will it seem like such a huge factor then?

ccbfan

Man those are crazy Hardware number for the Wii.

REally disappointing software numbers though. I mean the system has so few good games, you'd at least expect something to sell considering the userbase. It looks like Japan software part 2 except this time 3rd parties actually have another next gen choice.

As for the Xbox wow on Halo and wow on hardware but also wow on software other than Halo. According to MS's release non-halo 360 software outsold PS3 and Wii sotware (18 vs 17 and 9). Crazy considering they're competely for the dollars against a game that grossed 225 million.

As for the PS3, ouch. BAd hardware/bad software. Semm like euro is the only place where you don't suck.

Arde5643

TheKurgan said:
If EA wasn't in it to make money then yes it would make more sense to improve the Wii version. But since existing Wii owners don't seem to like 3rd party software why would they put their AAA development team on the underdog. Makes more moeny sense to bet on the proven winner.
Because even with increased budget for the art, they're decreasing in profit compared to the PS2 days.

If the "proven winner" doesn't do anything to increase or maintain profit with yearly Madden releases, EA cannot depend on only 360 to maintain or expand its business.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
BrokenSymmetry said:
Microsoft press release, from majornelson.com:

They're really driving home the "third parties are only succesful on the 360" message...

That is some powerful bragging rights right there...

And it's funny that MS's PR shows how Sony's PR was straight-up lying when they said that PS3 sales had an increase, when in fact it was a 27% decrease... so sad...

Love how they are driving home the point of it being a third party success machine as well - very, very smart, and will probably result in even more platform shifting games and exclusives...

Sharp

Mgoblue201 said:
Incredibly compelling argument. Metroid is a series with a track record. At this point, people know what they're getting when they buy Metroid. It has little potential of reaching beyond that audience. Metroid has typically oscillated between 800k and 1.3 million in the US, and obviously things like marketing can make that 500k difference, but that's only one part of it. When you have such an established franchise, seeing a commercial isn't gonna convince a person who bought Prime to suddenly jump into Echoes or Corruption. It's gonna take other factors. You can blame Nintendo for not creating a buzz around Corruption, certainly. But what happens if Corruption ends up outselling a game that got theater spots, that had a big marketing budget and had commercials shown everywhere, including during the ALCS? Will it seem like such a huge factor then?
Still yes, because MP3 was not designed quite like the typical Metroid game. I think the FPS elements, and the fact that a lot of the backtracking was stripped out, could have made it a reasonably big success if it had been advertised properly. Not that I want that to happen or support the linearization of Metroid, but from a marketability standpoint it's a pretty unfortunate missed opportunity. Besides, the Metroid fanbase is large enough that it could have a shitty marketing campaign and still sell reasonably well. Which it did.

Skilotonn said:
That is some powerful bragging rights right there...

And it's funny that MS's PR shows how Sony's PR was straight-up lying when they said that PS3 sales had an increase, when in fact it was a 27% decrease... so sad...

Love how they are driving home the point of it being a third party success machine as well - very, very smart, and will probably result in even more platform shifting games and exclusives...

Yup. They've got two years of their userbase massaging the software industry's balls and the user bases of their competition seem very ball-phobic in comparison.

Krowley

It appears to me that MP3 sold to metroid fans, and that's all. I imagine nintendo is probably disapointed in that..... the game was clearly designed to expand the audience for the series.

It was a great AAA game, but it's drastic changes from the metroid formula made it a bit hard for me to digest (definitly my least favorite of the 3)... Hopefully the next one will simply focus on pleasing the hardcore metroid fans with a more traditional experience. I imagine it won't come out until the next system releases and that's probably a good thing.

schuelma

Ok, I honestly understood the Wii 3rd party bashing last month when Madden Wii tanked.

But this month, what did you guys expect?

Seriously?

I mean at least look at the release list..

Arsenal

TheKurgan said:
If EA wasn't in it to make money then yes it would make more sense to improve the Wii version. But since existing Wii owners don't seem to like 3rd party software why would they put their AAA development team on the underdog. Makes more moeny sense to bet on the proven winner.

Especially since they just went and paid $800 million for one of the top 360 dev teams in existence...

BenjaminBirdie said:
Absolutely. The Wii is clearly making a shit ton of money for Nintendo, but 360's software sales are really what are driving in money for the industry as a whole.

This will be most apparent at the end of the holidays.

mood

AdmiralViscen said:
MS' PR is absolutely fucking brutal.

Yet, totally factual and by the numbers.

Yeah, it's very apparent MS has been concentrating on this Sept. - Dec. period all year.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
AdmiralViscen said:
MS' PR is absolutely fucking brutal.

Yet, totally factual and by the numbers.

Shit, they KILLED Sony in their PR. It was... hard =P, reminded me of the Sega/Nintendo days lol. Awesome =P

I've got some graphs and a writeup over at the blog.

It does suck about Wii software, but there just honestly sn't anything coming out for the system. I'll be interested to see how things do this christmas.

And wow at 360 - great numbers, great stuff. I'm glad to see it doing really well.

And wow at the PS3 - dear god it's really dying.

goomba

Banned
JCBossman said:
If I was over at Kojima Productions, I would be sweating bullets!

Why? does anyone still actually think MGS4 isn't going to come out for 360?. Xbox got MGS2 and it was way behind ps2 in userbase.

Grecco

PhoenixDark said:
This will be most apparent at the end of the holidays.

Kinda hard to miss when one console has tons of third party support the other has Resident Evil UC.

Seriously did people expect stuff like Carnival Games and My Sims to chart or something?

Any word yet on Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon?

Sounds like both bombed. But hey 360 sells software.

Relix said:
Shit, they KILLED Sony in their PR. It was... hard =P, reminded me of the Sega/Nintendo days lol. Awesome =P

"The helmet is mightier than the sword."

That's fucking hard core. They really are just in it to beat Sony. They don't even care about the Wii. But the benefits are clearly there now for the Software Publishing Industry. They know now, officially, who's buttering their bread.

Arde5643

Kasumi1970 said:
the 360 also have more RPG for any next GEN system right now.
Yup - that's the saddest part of this generation - it's been more than a year and RPGs are still quite an under-represented genre in all consoles: RPGs underperforming in 360, with very minute presence in Wii and the worst one, zero in PS3.

360 tries to change that but it's obvious RPGs are not going to be as well-represented as classic stereotypical action and sports genres in 360.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
BenjaminBirdie said:
Yup. They've got two years of their userbase massaging the software industry's balls and the user bases of their competition seem very ball-phobic in comparison.

This holiday should be something special as well no doubt for software, new and old releases... Halo 3 especially!

EDIT: Can't believe I didn't see the "helmet is mightier than the sword" bit in the PR - classic.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
wonderkins said:
PS3: Well, it's pretty I guess. Here comes the savior, Ratchet, Sony hopes. Or is it Uncharted. Well, what comes after that?

yeah what is in between Uncharted and Metal Gear?

Asking because I honestly havn't thought about it.

I know wipeout HD will keep me satisfied for a little bit in there, but thats not much.

JCBossman

Banned
goomba said:
Why? does anyone still actually think MGS4 isn't going to come out for 360?. Xbox got MGS2 and it was way behind ps2 in userbase.

I agree, because whatever numbers they put up on the PS3, it would EASILY be doubled on the 360

Sharp

goomba said:
What about the PS2 version?
I don't think either will chart. Or are you forgetting that the software charts are going to include at least all of the following:

Guitar Hero III (PS2)
Guitar Hero III (360)
Guitar Hero III (Wii)
Halo 3 (360)
Wii Play
Madden NFL '08 (PS2)

Do you think Manhunt 2 has what it takes to claim one of the remaining positions?

HokieJoe

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm sorry, but how do the 360 sales express this either way? Is there something i'm missing? Yes, Halo 3 was only on sale for 11 days, but 250k systems on 3.3 million sales seems a little bit more than disparate to me. Halo 3 is arguably the biggest game of the year, and it could only push 250k? Not to say that's a BAD thing, but I don't necessarily understand how this disproves Reggie's point.

I think the 360 is doing quite well considering the delta in cost differential. The average selling price of a 360 is > $100 more than the Wii.

Code:
Core            $279.99

Premium         $349.99

Elite           $449.99

Halo Edition    $399.99

AVG SELLING PRICE:	$369.99

I don't know what the % breakdown is relative to each model of 360 but it's maintained at least a $100 price gap the whole time. I suspect that the vast majority of sales have come from 360's priced at $399 or more, which would mean that the majority of 360's have sold at a price ~$150 more than the Wii.

Grecco said:
Kinda hard to miss when one console has tons of third party support the other has Resident Evil UC.

Seriously did people expect stuff like Carnival Games and My Sims to chart or something?

Sounds like both bombed. But hey 360 sells software.

What are they supposed to do? SSX Blur didn't do well. All the ports of stuff like Splinter Cell and CoD don't do well. If Carnival and Sims don't do well what are they supposed to try? The story of a French plumber in a magical fantasy world?

schuelma

Grecco said:

And if they would have charted, I guarantee you those same people would have derided those sales as "LOLZ MINI GAMES".

Again, when there is a legit 3rd party disappointment like Madden, fine..but this handwringing over newly released mature 3rd party games that simply don't exist is absurd.

Skilotonn said:
This holiday should be something special as well no doubt for software, new and old releases... Halo 3 especially!

I think even if the 360 doesn't lead in hardware at the end of the year, the money the console will have made for third parties will guarantee their preferential treatment for the rest of the generation.

Or at least a year or two.

schuelma

BenjaminBirdie said:
What are they supposed to do? SSX Blur didn't do well. All the ports of stuff like Splinter Cell and CoD don't do well. If Carnival and Sims don't do well what are they supposed to try? The story of a French plumber in a magical fantasy world?

You mentioned an extreme sports game, and two ports, shoddy ones at that.

Grecco

BenjaminBirdie said:

SSX Blur really? Thats like me honestly holding the fact that Blue Dragon bombed on the Xbox against it. Why should Square support the console when stuff like Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata bomb! (STRAW MAN!)

Nintendo has not gotten legitimate third party support compared to its other competitors, holding the fact that software doesnt sell on it is pretty much a straw mans argument. I guess if you cant critisize its Hardware sales gotta bash something?

I suppose once Mario Galaxy sells 1.5M in November it will warp into Wii sells only Nintendo games.

Top Bottom