• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Arde5643 said:
Yup - that's the saddest part of this generation - it's been more than a year and RPGs are still quite an under-represented genre in all consoles: RPGs underperforming in 360, with very minute presence in Wii and the worst one, zero in PS3.

360 tries to change that but it's obvious RPGs are not going to be as well-represented as classic stereotypical action and sports genres in 360.

I did buy Eternal Sonata so i did my part. I hope RPG start selling better because the 360 has some great ones coming.

Sharp

schuelma said:
You mentioned an extreme sports game, and two ports, shoddy ones at that.
SSX Blur should have done better. Like it or not there is a third-party problem on the Wii, and while it's probably mostly a question of proper advertising that doesn't make it any less of a problem. I suppose it's better than being in the PS3's position, but not by much as far as third-party publishers are concerned.

Grecco said:
SSX Blur really? Thats like me honestly holding the fact that Blue Dragon bombed on the Xbox against it.

Nintendo has not gotten legitimate third party support compared to its other competitors, holding the fact that software doesnt sell on it is pretty much a straw mans argument. I guess if you cant critisize its Hardware sales gotta bash something?

I suppose once Mario Galaxy sells 1.5M in November it will warp into Wii sells only Nintendo games.

Hey, whoa, I am not bashing the Wii's performance AT ALL. It's going to sell the most hardware this gen easily. It just seems like no one has gotten a handle on the console or its userbase besides Nintendo when it comes to software. And trial and error costs money.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Kasumi1970 said:
I did buy Eternal Sonata so i did my part. I hope RPG start selling better because the 360 has some great ones coming.

Its been a great year for RPGs though, and RPGs are always the last genre to gear up in a new generation.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sharp said:
SSX Blur should have done better. Like it or not there is a third-party problem on the Wii, and while it's probably mostly a question of proper advertising that doesn't make it any less of a problem. I suppose it's better than being in the PS3's position, but not by much as far as third-party publishers are concerned.

I agree it should have done better (and I honestly think the mixed reviews might have hurt it- I'M TALKING TO YOU SKIP) I don't think it was any kind of a significant title expected to do insane numbers.

Like I've been saying, Madden Wii bombing=valid criticism. Don't really get the criticism this month.

rs7k

276K + 528K = a little under 2.2 million to go for my 3 million prediction from Aug-Dec.

I think it's in the bag.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Still upset over Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata's bombings, I guess the 360 still isn't shaking the stereotype that only shooters sell. I bought both the day they came out though, and its a shame since I feel BD is much more deserving of the hype than ME. Can we get some sales data for BD and ES please?

GhaleonEB

Relix said:
Shit, they KILLED Sony in their PR. It was... hard =P, reminded me of the Sega/Nintendo days lol. Awesome =P
I just got home and read through it. Someone had a hoot drafting that. Usually their PR is pretty dry stuff, but it was filled with zingers such as -

The $130 “Halo 3: Legendary Edition” alone sold twice as many units as the top title for PS3 “Heavenly Sword” (SCE); the helmet is mightier than the sword.

Holy fucking ouch, Batman. And I think this is the first 5-week month when they haven't used that to their advantage. In the past they've cited % growth figures that didn't factor out the extra week, which is kind of misleading. But then, they only did it to cite the drop in weekly PS3 sales. :lol

Krowley said:
It appears to me that MP3 sold to metroid fans, and that's all. I imagine nintendo is probably disapointed in that..... the game was clearly designed to expand the audience for the series.

I got to play the beginning of the game (on the spaceship). From what I played ,I really don't think the game made the series any more accessible, though I like the instances where the controllers function as your 'arms.'

Sharp

bry-bry said:
Are you downplaying the selling power a Sims-branded game in the US?
This isn't exactly The Sims 3 we're talking about here. It's not even The Sims: Hot Party Animal Unleashed Lifestyle. This is the console release of a game that looks a lot more like Animal Crossing than any of Wright's games.

Evlar

Banned
Fredescu said:
Is NMH really expected to sell a lot? Is there a precedent for that?
I'll be stunned if NMH sells well. It would be the most surprising news of the year, bigger than MS letting go of Bungie.

bill0527

So who's with me in further proclaiming that people are only buying the Wii for Wii Sports?

Over 500k hardware.

Highest software was fucking Wii Play for that extra controller at 272k

Then MP3 at 167k.

If people aren't only buying a Wii for Wii Sports, then where are the rest of the games they are purchasing?

schuelma said:
Like I've been saying, Madden Wii bombing=valid criticism. Don't really get the criticism this month.

Madden wii deserved to bomb. What a shitty glitch filled mess.

Glad I traded it in for Phantom Hourglass.

schuelma

bill0527 said:
So who's with me in further proclaiming that people are only buying the Wii for Wii Sports?

Over 500k hardware.

Then MP3 at 167k.

If people aren't only buying a Wii for Wii Sports, then where are the rest of the games they are purchasing?

Right now? Absolutely. It's the ultimate killer app.

With its lineup, there is no way Wii should be selling so much.

That said, Galaxy is gonna be a monster.

Evlar

Banned
bill0527 said:

Over 500k hardware.

Then MP3 at 167k.

I dunno, maybe lower on the charts? Do you expect the top ten to be nothing but Wii games?

GhaleonEB

Is it allowed to post graphs that track back to last gen? Such as, Xbox vs. 360 lifetime sales. I ask because Xbox sales were all posted here, but I understand that data is now discouraged. But in graph form it's more approximate.

D O W N

BrokenSymmetry said:
Microsoft press release...

They're really driving home the "third parties are only succesful on the 360" message...

Seriously- that's the cockiest NPD press release I've seen in a while. MS was ready to come out swinging, apparently... they even called out the PS3's weekly decline.

Plus, I know the Wii didn't have much of anything brand new in the month, but it is almost time to get concerned about software sales for the system, isn't it?

That's a pretty stark little statistic, regarding the number of 3rd party titles in the Top 10 for each platform.

I mean, I'm just sayin'.

Sharp

bill0527 said:

Over 500k hardware.

Then MP3 at 167k.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are being purchased in advance in anticipation of the holiday rush, actually. After eleven months of supply constraints people are pretty well-aware that coming across a Wii come Christmas is going to be only marginally more difficult than finding a snowflake in hell.

Akira

Amazing numbers for the VG industry. Halo 3 owned everything, including the 360. But will it have legs for the rest of the year? Will it break 1 million in October? As for the Wii, it continues to amaze. It is the new DS in terms of hardware sales. October NPD month will be very interesting to see if Wii will regain the lead or if Halo effect will continue for the Xbox 360. :popcorn:

schuelma

D O W N said:
Seriously- that's the cockiest NPD press release I've seen in a while. MS was ready to come out swinging, apparently... they even called out the PS3's weekly decline.

Plus, I know the Wii didn't have much of anything brand new in the month, but it is almost time to get concerned about software sales for the system, isn't it?

That's a pretty stark little statistic, regarding the number of 3rd party titles in the Top 10 for each platform.

I mean, I'm just sayin'.

Would you feel better if Wii Sports wasn't a pack in and had sold like 3 million copies in the U.S?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
If you can't see all the huge hits the Wii has coming very soon then I question why you post at this forum.

Banned
schuelma said:
I agree it should have done better (and I honestly think the mixed reviews might have hurt it- I'M TALKING TO YOU SKIP) I don't think it was any kind of a significant title expected to do insane numbers.

You don't need to get it. it's the Wii. It's part of it's reputation now that 3rd parties won't sell, even if a game like MH3 sells a million in a week.

bill0527 said:

Over 500k hardware.

Then MP3 at 167k.

Mario Strikers, Mario Party, etc etc...

It's the list of top 10 games. Not only 10 games were sold to customers.

bill0527

The Sphinx said:
I dunno, maybe lower on the charts? Do you expect the top ten to be nothing but Wii games?

No but I expect with 500k hardware sales to at least have some kind of decent attach rate, and apparently it must be non-existant on the Wii.

And please don't tell me that Wii Play counts. People are buying it for the extra controller, period, and getting a set of $10 mini-games as an incentive to buy the package.

Dirtbag

GhaleonEB said:
Is it allowed to post graphs that track back to last gen? Such as, Xbox vs. 360 lifetime sales. I ask because Xbox sales were all posted here, but I understand that data is now discouraged. But in graph form it's more approximate.

as long as its not from that site....umm VGAcharts i think, guys help me out...

Krowley

Mariah Carey said:
I got to play the beginning of the game (on the spaceship). From what I played ,I really don't think the game made the series any more accessible, though I like the instances where the controllers function as your 'arms.'

Yeah, I don't think they succeeded, but they definitly tried..

It was still a pretty dense game all the way through, but there was clearly an attempt to appeal to the standard FPS crowd with the objective based system and increased linearity. I think the lesson to be learned is that metroid is not the right series to reach out to those fans.. It would be better to make a new franchise, or let 3rd party's fill the gap (if they ever will).

bill0527

Cooter said:
If you can't see all the huge hits the Wii has coming very soon then I question why you post at this forum.

Every system has huge hits coming. You can say that about any freakin console on the market.

I'm talking about attach rates, not future expectations.

Grecco

bill0527 said:
No but I expect with 500k hardware sales to at least have some kind of decent attach rate, and apparently it must be non-existant on the Wii.

And please don't tell me that Wii Play counts. People are buying it for the extra controller, period, and getting a set of $10 mini-games as an incentive to buy the package.

What games should be on the chart?

GhaleonEB

Dirtbag 504 said:
as long as its not from that site....umm VGAcharts i think, guys help me out...
Nope, it's from the old NPD data posted on GAF over the years, but I've seen guys banned hardcore for posting straight numbers from too far back. Though it best to check.

farnham

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
1471576561_31e03ac6d3.jpg
he wasnt that wrong considering that the 360 barely outsold the Wii..

and how many halo3s does MS really have..?

legend166

Software sales are dissapointing for the Wii. There's no real way to spin that.

Also, Stranglehold turned out to be a massive, huge bomb. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it. Didn't it cost 30 million dollars to make? And it only sold 100k first month? I can't think of any other piece of software that bombed harder than that. That's something that'll put a studio out of business.

bry-bry

Sharp said:
This isn't exactly The Sims 3 we're talking about here. It's not even The Sims: Hot Party Animal Unleashed Lifestyle. This is the console release of a game that looks a lot more like Animal Crossing than any of Wright's games.

I get all that, but singling out a Sims game as an expected bomb seems just a little disingenuous. I mean, EA made an effort to appeal to the traditional Nintendo aesthetic and still came up short.

Evlar

Banned
bill0527 said:

The DS, PS2, and PSP also have fewer sales shown in the top ten than they have new console sales. Hell, the PSP doesn't have ANY games in the top ten. There's nothing unusual at all with the Wii hardware numbers exceeding the listed Wii games in the top ten.

Mrbob

Well at least we get more numbers out of the MS press release.

Halo 3 legendary = 300K

Madden PS3 = 62k

Madden Wii = 58k

Skate PS3 = 30k

GhaleonEB

farnham said:
he wasnt that wrong considering that the 360 barely outsold the Wii..

and how many halo3s does MS really have..?
Those two things, they don't have much to do with one another. Sales went up, a lot. The logical connection is, Halo 3 moved at least some of that hardware.

radjago

GhaleonEB said:
I'd like to see a Halo 2 vs Halo 3 graph as well as Xbox sales from Halo 2 on compared to Xbox 360 from Halo 3 on, but I guess we'll have to wait for all that data to come in.

Top Bottom