• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
farnham said:
he wasnt that wrong considering that the 360 barely outsold the Wii..

and how many halo3s does MS really have..?

How can you spin a practically 100 percent jump insales as not a huge push related to the halo hype megatrain?

Grecco

bill0527 said:
I dunno, you tell me?

500k hardware, but nobody's buying software. You think that doesn't send a red flag to 3rd party publishers?

Im not the one claiming "its a red flag". You are.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
bill0527 said:
I dunno, you tell me?

500k hardware, but nobody's buying software. You think that doesn't send a red flag to 3rd party publishers?

Answer the question.

And why would 3rd parties be worried about a particular month if no 3rd party games bombed?

Slavik81

BenjaminBirdie said:
What are they supposed to do? SSX Blur didn't do well. All the ports of stuff like Splinter Cell and CoD don't do well. If Carnival and Sims don't do well what are they supposed to try? The story of a French plumber in a magical fantasy world?
SSX Blur got mixed reviews and ok sales but ever other game you listed is crap. Maybe they should try making good games? Mario Galaxy will probably in large part be the best-selling Wii game of this year because it is quite likely to be the best Wii game of this year.

By the way, does anyone know the LTDs on WarHawk? What's the lowest ranked player?

Evlar

Banned
bill0527 said:
I dunno, you tell me?

You don't know that, do you? You're presuming it.

D O W N

schuelma said:
Would you feel better if Wii Sports wasn't a pack in and had sold like 3 million copies in the U.S?

No, not if it was still the only title moving any truly significant units besides a game that includes a hard-to-find extra controller.

Kodiak said:
How can you spin a practically 100 percent jump insales as not a huge push related to the halo hype megatrain?
It's related, but by and large he was right. Halo 3 sold 3.3 million effing copies. That means at least 84% of the people who bought it already owned a 360.

It's not "everyone", but come on.

schuelma said:
Ok, I honestly understood the Wii 3rd party bashing last month when Madden Wii tanked.

But this month, what did you guys expect?
I thought this month was supposed to see big numbers for MP3 because of the "only 5 days of sales data" excuse. I also remember lots of high predictions for Carnival Games but maybe the NDF was just joking, yes that must be it.
I dunno, maybe lower on the charts? Do you expect the top ten to be nothing but Wii games?
That implies that existing Wii owners aren't buying any games. And that new Wii owners are only buying one piece of software (which includes Wii Play, not exactly a compelling argument for strong sales).

When the top 10 caps at 140 and Madden Wii, which is probably the next best selling Wii game if trends followed from August, sold 60k, then the remainder of Wii games likely sold a piddling amount.

Evlar

Banned
Of All Trades said:
I thought this month was supposed to see big numbers for MP3 because of the "only 5 days of sales data" excuse. I also remember lots of high predictions for Carnival Games but maybe the NDF was just joking, yes that must be it.

That implies that existing Wii owners aren't buying any games. And that new Wii owners are only buying one piece of software (which includes Wii Play, not exactly a compelling argument for strong sales).

When the top 10 caps at 140 and Madden Wii, which is probably the next best selling Wii game if trends followed from August, sold 60k, then the remainder of Wii games likely sold a piddling amount.
Uhhh. No. It isn't implying anything like that.

Do you believe the DS isn't moving any games? The PSP? The PS2? You're assuming you know the whole sales chart on the basis of the top ten, which is a terrible assumption.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Of All Trades said:

So wait, not MP3 is counted as being bad for 3rd parties? So if it had done 500K could I have used it as example to 3rd parties about software selling on the Wii?

And you're last "point" is just absolutely ridiculous. Ridiculous and lacking in any sense of logic.

HW Sales
PlayStation 2 215K
PlayStation 3 119.4K
PlayStation Portable 284.5K
Xbox 360 527.8K
Wii 501K

Nintendo DS 495.8K
Game Boy Advance 75K

Quite a bump in the Wii supply. Looks like Nintendo tried their best to provide extra Wiis to spoil Microsoft's Halo 3 party. Nice to see Master Chief had a few sticky grenades ready for Ol' Reggie. :D

Fredescu

GhaleonEB said:
Those two things, they don't have much to do with one another. Sales went up, a lot. The logical connection is, Halo 3 moved at least some of that hardware.
The logical conclusion is that it sold at least half of it, since it doubled what its been doing lately. All signs point to this being the pinnacle of 360 software sales though, and that hardware didn't thrash the Wii suggests that it won't do so again. We'll see though. I'm a bit disappointed, I was hoping for a win for good online services and I didn't get that.

Sharp

Elfforkusu said:
It's related, but by and large he was right. Halo 3 sold 3.3 million effing copies. That means at least 84% of the people who bought it already owned a 360.

It's not "everyone", but come on.
I can't believe you're seriously defending his point. We have a pretty large sample size at this point, so if you want to run a T-test or something on weekly 360 sales feel free. Then tell me that this month wasn't out of the ordinary.

Mrbob

TheRipDizz said:
HW Sales
PlayStation 2 215K
PlayStation 3 119.4K
Xbox 360 527.8K
Wii 501K

Nintendo DS 495.8K
Game Boy Advance 75K

Quite a bump in the Wii supply. Looks like Nintendo tried their best to provide extra Wiis to spoil Microsoft's Halo 3 party. Nice to see Master Chief had a few sticky grenades ready for Ol' Reggie. :D

You know Nintendo had the PR ready to spoil the fun, but it didn't come to fruition for them.

Evlar

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
HW Sales
PlayStation 2 215K
PlayStation 3 119.4K
Xbox 360 527.8K
Wii 501K

Nintendo DS 495.8K
Game Boy Advance 75K

That's almost exactly the same number of units they had last month, on a per-week basis.

EDIT: Strike that, it's actually slightly down, by a couple percentage points.

farnham

Banned
Reggies comment was followed by the question

"What is NIntendo going to do against Halo3 ..?"

And his reply was basically

"we dont care about Halo3 since we sell enough units and Halo 3 wont be that big anyway (hardware sales wise)"

and guess what.. he was right..

Despite of Halo3s launch the 360 barely managed to outsell the Wii... and by barely i mean it.. Yes it was a huge hardware jump.. but a 20k difference does not hurt Nintendo at this point.. (and Nintendo had no countering software like Smash or Mario to go against it) and when is MS going to have numbers like this again in this gen (maybe when halo 4 ships.. )

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Those Halo 3 sales are crazy. It'll probably just keep going each time there are 360 price drops in the future.

TheRipDizz said:
HW Sales
PlayStation 2 215K
PlayStation 3 119.4K
Xbox 360 527.8K
Wii 501K

Nintendo DS 495.8K
Game Boy Advance 75K

5 week month. :) Nintendo didn't increase Wii supply.

Banned
Kodiak said:
Some of you need to re-read the qoute. He didn't say Halo was going to bomb, and that 360 sales wouldn't increase. He said the type pf people buying 360's weren't going to change, or even increase. It's selling to the same market.

The rest of the NPD proves that.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
legend166 said:
Software sales are dissapointing for the Wii. There's no real way to spin that.

Also, Stranglehold turned out to be a massive, huge bomb. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it. Didn't it cost 30 million dollars to make? And it only sold 100k first month? I can't think of any other piece of software that bombed harder than that. That's something that'll put a studio out of business.
If you're going to be like that, then why are people not talking about Heavenly Sword?

Krowley

bry-bry said:
I get all that, but singling out a Sims game as an expected bomb seems just a little disingenuous. I mean, EA made an effort to appeal to the traditional Nintendo aesthetic and still came up short.

You don't compete with nintendo by copying them.. You have to provide something that they don't provide.

they would have been better off to make an exclusive traditional sims game, designed specificly for the wii with will wright supervision.

Basicly, if you want to get the extreme hardcore nintendo fans (mario zelda people) to buy your games, you have to get all the way in the pool.. You can't dabble and experiment. You have to make a full blown blockbuster type game for the system with top talent and all that jazz, and even then, sales can be a tricky buisness... Sometimes great games bomb on any platform (okami for example)

Nintendo is the only group that can reach the wii-sports market. Publishers should just leave that alone. There is also another market on the wii.. I guess you could call them budget gamers.. People who own a ps2 but can't afford to upgrade to the ps3 or 360... I'm not sure how big their numbers are, and I'm not sure how you target them.

Eventually the gamers will start to follow the games, and it will get simpler.. Something like monster hunter 3 will bring over a certain group of fans that can be targeted with other software in different genre's.. Same thing would happen if DQ10 was announced for wii.. You could pretty much gaurentee that the hardcore RPG market would be present.

edit// but just to clarify.. I am starting to worry about the wii and 3rd party sales. I think too many of the current wii buyers are wii sports people, and those people simply aren't going to buy many games.

The wii needs major franchise defections to draw over the userbases of those franchises and build a userbase for different genre's of 3rd party games. That's not happening fast enough, and it could pose a problem in the long run.

farnham said:
Reggies comment was followed by the question

"What is NIntendo going to do against Halo3 ..?"

And his reply was basically

"we dont care about Halo3 since we sell enough units and Halo 3 wont be that big anyway (hardware sales wise)"

and guess what.. he was right..

Despite of Halo3s launch the 360 barely managed to outsell the Wii... and by barely i mean it.. Yes it was a huge hardware jump.. but a 20k difference does not hurt Nintendo at this point.. (and Nintendo had no countering software like Smash or Mario to go against it) and when is MS going to have numbers like this again in this gen (maybe when halo 4 ships.. )

Yet the industry itself is growing at a very nice clip. As I said, MS will never win the hardware number game in the long run, but it is generating an enormous amount of money for other six or seven corporations in the industry that don't produce hardware.

You can keep trumpeting the hardware sales and keep downplaying MS' performance in that arena, because it clearly is no match for Nintendo's efforts here. There's no denying that. But the 360 is clearly the go-to source of revenue for Ubisoft, EA, 2K, Eidos, Activision, etc, etc, etc.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Mooreberg said:
Those Halo 3 sales are crazy. It'll probably just keep going each time there are 360 price drops in the future.
Exactly, I think all signs point to this being the most successful game in the trilogy.

legend166

Seriously guys, I can't think of a game that has bombed as hard as Stranglehold since ET. Someone try and give me some other examples.

Ezduo

Banned
Fredescu said:
Is NMH really expected to sell a lot? Is there a precedent for that?

I seriously doubt the selling power of No More Heroes. I'm sure it'll be a great game and all but it'll probably sell as well as God Hand did.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
The Wii doesn't sell to the same demographic that the Gamecube consisted of last generation. The software sales reflect that. 3rd party is still by far, the biggest commodity that pushes this industry in relation to sales. I don't think the Wii is a fad or anything like that, but developer support seems like it will be a continous cycle of garbage. If Nintendo couldn't even push their own MP3 past these sales, what do you think the average 3rd party is thinking? 3rd party sales on the 360 are the only thing to consistently be happy about.

Evlar

Banned
legend166 said:
Seriously guys, I can't think of a game that has bombed as hard as Stranglehold since ET. Someone try and give me some other examples.
Daikatana? Mmmm, Godfather in all its iterations was quite a failure. I'm sure there are others.

farnham

Banned
puebla said:
you forgot about GTA4?
isnt that multiplatform though..?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yet the industry itself is growing at a very nice clip. As I said, MS will never win the hardware number game in the long run, but it is generating an enormous amount of money for other six or seven corporations in the industry that don't produce hardware.

You can keep trumpeting the hardware sales and keep downplaying MS' performance in that arena, because it clearly is no match for Nintendo's efforts here. There's no denying that. But the 360 is clearly the go-to source of revenue for Ubisoft, EA, 2K, Eidos, Activision, etc, etc, etc.

Oh well..

1. the wii did not have much third party support until now compared to 360.. *(which is bound to change)

2. the 360 market is entering its 3rd holiday season.. the wii its second... of course the 360 has much better software for now... it was longer on the market and devs got much more time on it

3. will Ubi, EA, 2k, Eidos, Activision ignore the future of the Wii market like they neglected it this year..? hell no... they will at least try to sell games to the Nintendo hardcore audience or the casual audience.. will they succeed is another question.. (redsteel and rayman were considerably great sellers.. )

Agent Icebeezy said:
The Wii doesn't sell to the same demographic that the Gamecube consisted of last generation. The software sales reflect that. 3rd party is still by far, the biggest commodity that pushes this industry in relation to sales. I don't think the Wii is a fad or anything like that, but developer support seems like it will be a continous cycle of garbage. If Nintendo couldn't even push their own MP3 past these sales, what do you think the average 3rd party is thinking? 3rd party sales on the 360 are the only thing to consistently be happy about.

This is what I'm saying. I agree a trillion percent.

This, to me, is where all those theories of PS2 owners waiting in the wings fall apart. Software publishers are making an enormous amount of money right now, 360 versions are starting to outsell their PS2 counterparts. Just how many people who buy regular amounts of software every month are still out there waiting to switch?

D O W N

legend166 said:

I think you'd have to go all the way back to... LAIR.

Slavik81 said:
SSX Blur got mixed reviews and ok sales but ever other game you listed is crap. Maybe they should try making good games? Mario Galaxy will probably in large part be the best-selling Wii game of this year because it is quite likely to be the best Wii game of this year.
SSX Blur got mixed reviews and completely bombed. Not "ok sales". Bomb.

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Gamecube owners didn't buy the wii. Are you serious?

This argument only works when a Wii sequel does worse than the GC prequel. That hasn't happened once yet(Yes, MP3 included. It didn't beat Halo but it is tracking the same as MP1, slightly above)

Sharp

BenjaminBirdie said:
This is what I'm saying. I agree a trillion percent.

This, to me, is where all those theories of PS2 owners waiting in the wings fall apart. Software publishers are making an enormous amount of money right now, 360 versions are starting to outsell their PS2 counterparts. Just how many people who buy regular amounts of software every month are still out there waiting to switch?
A "regular" amount of software is maybe a game or two a year so I really don't know.

Sharp said:
A "regular" amount of software is maybe a game or two a year so I really don't know.

That's true. Why should software developers even care about those mugs, then. Why are they such a focal point of every "Sales Age" conversation?

Grecco

Agent Icebeezy said:
The Wii doesn't sell to the same demographic that the Gamecube consisted of last generation. , what do you think the average 3rd party is thinking? 3rd party sales on the 360 are the only thing to consistently be happy about.

Once again Metroid Prime 3 will still outsell Metroid Prime 1.

This non existant Gamecube demographic still pusshed games like Zelda, Wario Ware, and Super Paper Mario on the console. Also Mario Party did pretty well.

What does a third party think? Well getting on board of this gens winner is something. No one is disputing that the X360 is the software king in USA. Were just disputing that good sales arent possible on the Wii.

rakka

Some of you need to re-read the qoute. He didn't say Halo was going to bomb, and that 360 sales wouldn't increase. He said the type pf people buying 360's weren't going to change, or even increase. It's selling to the same market.
true -- appealing to both casuals and hardcore gamers. reggie must be jealous.

farnham

Banned
GitarooMan said:
Uh...November.
yes of course november.. i mean like sharewise.. not quantity wise.. if nintendo gets enough stock... november will be their month (i think galaxy is comming out that month)

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
If Nintendo couldn't even push their own MP3 past these sales, what do you think the average 3rd party is thinking?

Does Nintendo really care? I remember there was a big thread here about why MP3 wasn't selling more or why there wasn't more marketing... these aren't the type of games Nintendo is concerned with pushing anymore.

Sharp

BenjaminBirdie said:
That's true. Why should software developers even care about those mugs, then. Why are they such a focal point of every "Sales Age" conversation?
Because there are like ten times more of them than there are hardcore gamers.

Top Bottom