• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Slavik81

Maxwell House said:
360 will win software sale for 2007 hands down among the next gen consoles. It isn't even a close race.

Software sales are more important than hardware sales.
Software sales are velocity. Hardware sales are acceleration.

Linkup

BenjaminBirdie said:
You can't really.

Guitar Hero II has been one of the console's biggest sellers since it was released for the 360. Just to pick a title at random, skate. also did very well for the console. As did Madden. And PGR4 in its UK debut in the top spot.

Oh I'm so sorry, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 360 sales.

Krowley

schuelma said:
Sigh. Please tell me how we can tell that major 3rd party titles won't sell when no one has yet to try!

But that's kinda the problem IMO.. 3rd party's are scared to try, and personaly I don't think they'll ever succeed until they jump in with both feet.

Something like zack and wiki might be a great game, but it's not in a proven franchise (like RE4) and I don't think it's going to sell that well. Trying to test the wii market with new/experimental ideas and IP's is probably not going to work. Zack and Wiki might sell decently but it's not going to be a blockbuster... I personaly think it might totaly bomb, and that's always a danger with new franchises.

I think the whole approach of "lets make something quirky and interesting and small for the wii" is gonna end up being the wrong plan. The right plan is " lets move all our big franchises to wii exclusivley" but nobody has the guts to try it at the moment.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Grecco said:
What were you talking again? You specifically mentioned that the Wii demographic was not the Gamecube demographic because MP "bombed".

If part of the Wii demographic wasnt Nitendo fans then those games would have also bombed. Thats what you said right.

On third party. We know the 360 is the king but its not a sure fire thing either 1.See Stranglehold and Eternal Sonata and 2. The Wii still does not have the level of support of the Xbox. Ports and half assed games dont count. Dont expect stuff like Reel King to sell. Complain about it when a legitimate third party game bombs like Zak and Wikki (it will).

Finally if anything the only one who will end up loosing is Sony imo. Why would Third partys bother porting X360 games to the console when they end up bombing anyways? Stuff like Skate for isntance. The Wii wont take 360 developtment away, but make no mistake Wiis sales will increase third party support.

I look at Wii sales with a glass half full. Hardware selling is great, no doubt about it, but if no one is buying the software, companies don't know who is buying the console. If you don't know who is buying the console, how do you know what games to make for it? You can't just throw shit and hope it sticks. So, you sort of have to use games like Metroid Prime as a barometer. It doesn't care the prestige of a Zelda or a Mario, but it is still backed by the Nintendo name and it is a game that is considered more in line with offerings on the PS3 and 360. I don't really consider the sales it has had to date as impressive. Now, taking into that account that a Nintendo property is selling like this, the average 3rd party CEO or president has to think that placing a game of that ilk on the Wii is almost assuredly going to sell less. This is in contrast to the 360's situation. 3rd party 360 games have been charting since day one and have remained there.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Krowley said:
But that's kinda the problem IMO.. 3rd party's are scared to try, and personaly I don't think they'll ever succeed until they jump in with both feet.

Something like zack and wiki might be a great game, but it's not in a proven franchise (like RE4) and I don't think it's going to sell that well. Trying to test the wii market with new/experimental ideas and IP's is probably not going to work. Zack and Wiki might sell decently but it's not going to be a blockbuster... I personaly think it might totaly bomb, and that's always a danger with new franchises.

I think the whole approach of "lets make something quirky and interesting and small for the wii" is gonna end up being the wrong plan. The right plan is " lets move all our big franchises to wii exclusivley" but nobody has the guts to try it at the moment.

Well, Capcom has begun in Japan.

Joe Molotov

schuelma said:
Again, I'll ask a simple question- from this month only, what 3rd party "real" Wii game should have charted in the top 10.

Simple question

There weren't any this month, and there really haven't been any at all, a fact that Nintendo detractors conveniently forget when attacking Wii software sales.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Maxwell House said:
360 will win software sale for 2007 hands down among the next gen consoles. It isn't even a close race.

Software sales are more important than hardware sales.
You wanna bet?

J-Rzez

360 - Wow, even with Halo 3 they were able to only barely surpass the Wii? Definetly not a good thing... I'm sure October's will show the Halo effect to carry over then as well though... Nothing much really to say here, they'll sell pretty well through the year I'm guessing... Maybe not to Wii sales, but well enough...

Wii - I can't believe this thing is still selling like it does... Strangely enough though, the only true game to sell is MP3, and only 170k... This is clearly showing people are buying this machine for Wiisports, and sitting on it... I mean, Zelda sold well, but their highest selling "software" title is - Wii Play? (I'm not sure, I don't follow it) Which the only reason that's selling is because, well, it comes with a second controller... So are people still buying this just for Wiisports and an extra remote? SMG will sell gangbusters though, that's for certain...

PS3 - This 40gb + price cut couldn't of come at a better time... We'll have to wait for Novembers sales to show what's going on with it though, as we'd need to see a full month when most people know about the price cut, and with the killer AAA software being there: Ratchet, Guitar Hero III, CoD4, Rockband, and last but not least, Uncharted... They'll start to gain steam as the software starts to hit, which is DIRELY needed, and this steam should carry through 08 as it has some of the biggest names in gaming hitting then...

schuelma

Agent Icebeezy said:
I look at Wii sales with a glass half full. Hardware selling is great, no doubt about it, but if no one is buying the software, companies don't know who is buying the console. If you don't know who is buying the console, how do you know what games to make for it? You can't just throw shit and hope it sticks. So, you sort of have to use games like Metroid Prime as a barometer. It doesn't care the prestige of a Zelda or a Mario, but it is still backed by the Nintendo name and it is a game that is considered more in line with offerings on the PS3 and 360. I don't really consider the sales it has had to date as impressive. Now, taking into that account that a Nintendo property is selling like this, the average 3rd party CEO or president has to think that placing a game of that ilk on the Wii is almost assuredly going to sell less. This is in contrast to the 360's situation. 3rd party 360 games have been charting since day one and have remained there.

Ok, this is a valid point. But can't 3rd parties also look at Zelda sales, or RE4 sales, or Super Paper Mario sales? Why just Metroid?

damisa

goldenpp72 said:
Is it unreasonable to assume that many halo fans will still be buying 360s into octobers, you know, ones who didn't already have the console?

I don't get it either. Apparently people think that everyone who might ever want to buy halo 3 already has a 360 and bought it.

halo 2 sold ~3million in it's first month. It went on to sell over 8 million. So when halo 3 goes on to sell 8 million+ is that all current 360 owners who delayed their purchase for some odd reason? Every year, more birthdays/holidays/tax returns/price drops etc. occur. It's silly to think games only sell hardware prior to or at their release.

Krowley said:

Monster Hunter?

Proelite

J-Rzez said:
360 - Wow, even with Halo 3 they were able to only barely surpass the Wii? Definetly not a good thing... I'm sure October's will show the Halo effect to carry over then as well though... Nothing much really to say here, they'll sell pretty well through the year I'm guessing... Maybe not to Wii sales, but well enough...

Wii - I can't believe this thing is still selling like it does... Strangely enough though, the only true game to sell is MP3, and only 170k... This is clearly showing people are buying this machine for Wiisports, and sitting on it... I mean, Zelda sold well, but their highest selling "software" title is - Wii Play? (I'm not sure, I don't follow it) Which the only reason that's selling is because, well, it comes with a second controller... So are people still buying this just for Wiisports and an extra remote? SMG will sell gangbusters though, that's for certain...

PS3 - This 40gb + price cut couldn't of come at a better time... We'll have to wait for Novembers sales to show what's going on with it though, as we'd need to see a full month when most people know about the price cut, and with the killer AAA software being there: Ratchet, Guitar Hero III, CoD4, Rockband, and last but not least, Uncharted... They'll start to gain steam as the software starts to hit, which is DIRELY needed, and this steam should carry through 08 as it has some of the biggest names in gaming hitting then...

I am getting a feeling from your post that the PS3 is in a better situation than the 360.

bry-bry

Joe Molotov said:
There weren't any this month, and there really haven't been any at all, a fact that Nintendo detractors conveniently forget when attacking Wii software sales.

First of all, what the hell constitutes a "real" Wii game?

Agent Icebeezy

schuelma said:
Ok, this is a valid point. But can't 3rd parties also look at Zelda sales, or RE4 sales, or Super Paper Mario sales? Why just Metroid?

Zelda and Mario is Zelda and Mario. Everybody knows them. RE4 pricepoint has helped tremendously. Metroid isn't a top tier Nintendo franchise in relation to sales, that is why it is the best barometer out of Nintendo that 3rd party can judge. No 3rd party is going to outsell Mario or Zelda on a Nintendo platform.

Proelite said:
I am getting a feeling from your post that the PS3 is in a better situation than the 360.

It's called spin

beerbelly

Banned
J-Rzez said:

Are you going to have the same argument for PS3 when Wii clobbers it in November, even with the price drop, Ratchet, Uncharted etc? Heck let's not even compare Wii's November sales because of Mario.... use any month for the Wii.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
bill0527 said:
You're being sarcastic right?

Its down 1300 yen (almost 2%), not 1300 points.

You're gonna give the Nintendo shareholders on the forum a heart attack.
Yeah, i was. :lol But isn't a single yen still a point?

----

Truthfully, it is pretty disappointing to see the Xbox 360 outsell the Wii. You know Reggie wish he'd gotten an extra 40k in wii shipments to stay on top. Seeing the sub-200k #s for Xbox 360 earlier in the year got me a little excited that it would start to fade away. Putting up 500k+ months means it may be a problem afterall. :\

schuelma

Agent Icebeezy said:
Zelda and Mario is Zelda and Mario. Everybody knows them. RE4 pricepoint has helped tremendously. Metroid isn't a top tier Nintendo franchise in relation to sales, that is why it is the best barometer out of Nintendo that 3rd party can judge. No 3rd party is going to outsell Mario or Zelda on a Nintendo platform.

Couple of points

1- Metroid isn't a top selling franchise..and it's probably going to do what its previous 2 iterations did. How does that send a message one way or the other?

Edit- And what if Metroid had sold great? Wouldn't that possibly scare 3rd parties that 1st party sales rule? Seems like its damned if you do damned if you don't.

2- The RE4 price point gets bandied about a lot. I say the number one way to see if a game is doing well is to look at the publisher's expectation's. Capcom projected RE4 to sell like 425K world wide. It's most likely going to double that. In Capcom's mind, RE4 is an overwhelming success, end of story.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
beerbelly said:
Are you going to have the same argument for PS3 when Wii clobbers it in November, even with the price drop, Ratchet, Uncharted etc? Heck let's not even compare Wii's November sales because of Mario.... use any month for the Wii.

Who expects a new franchise that most people probably haven't heard of yet to do as much as Halo 3? I like the Ratchet & Clank games but the first one came out when PS2 was $199, it's hard to say if that audience will be there for the PS3 version.

Sony got the price out of the insanity stratosphere but now the games like GTA and MGS that were supposed to be out in the fall are absent. Ugly situation all around.

rakka

Shepherd said:
Are you saying that the Wii or PS3 will sell more software than the 360? :lol :lol :lol
reputation_pos.gif
Gahiggidy

Krowley

favouriteflavour said:
Monster Hunter?

Exactly.

Monster hunter is the first real important franchise jump. It will sell systems to a new demographic that probably wouldn't have purchased the system, and that will provide a more reliable audience to target for japanese game company's.

The problem is that there needs to be more of that.. 3 or 4 more big franchises need to make the jump (with exclusivity) or the wii could actually become a nintendo playing machine, just like the cube, only with bigger sales and a bunch of casuals.

They need an exclusive numbered DQ or an FF defection, or something major of that ilk.. Several things like that.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Maxwell House said:
Wii 5,185,648
PS3 2,133,654
360 7,626,243

What are those? The US LTDs are.

360 6,734,332
Wii 4,519,278
PS3 1,859,804

Grecco

Agent Icebeezy said:
Now, taking into that account that a Nintendo property is selling like this, the average 3rd party CEO or president has to think that placing a game of that ilk on the Wii is almost assuredly going to sell less. This is in contrast to the 360's situation. 3rd party 360 games have been charting since day one and have remained there.

I just dont see how you can use Metroid Prime as a barometer for third party sales. Its a afranchise that has been maligned by fans and shuned by Nintendo marketing. To this day fans still prefer 2D Metroids over Retros Briliance. (Mind you im probably on the 2D side).

Are software numbers good on the Wii no, but the Wii will have 1.the highest installed base 2.Offer a more affordable development solution. Its cheaper to make and thus it doesnt have to sell as much as the 360 to make economic sense for a third party.

The numbers will come once the development quality increases. Running your C team wont cut it anymore. (Trust me thats what companies like EA run on Wii).

schuelma

perfectchaos007 said:
So basically the 360 is dead in Japan, Alive elsewhere. Wii is Dying in Japan, Very alive elsewhere. PS3 is dead everywhere.

One month of mediocre sales doesn't make a console die. Christ.

The Sphinx said:
I didn't say in the US.
So when you decided to compare million sellers with the US top ten, which is the topic of this thread, you were...?
2- The RE4 price point gets bandied about a lot. I say the number one way to see if a game is doing well is to look at the publisher's expectation's. Capcom projected RE4 to sell like 425K world wide. It's most likely going to double that. In Capcom's mind, RE4 is an overwhelming success, end of story.
But one they can't replicate without sinking tens of millions of dollars into a project. RE4 was a lucky break for Capcom, and I personally suspect largely due to the total lack of software at the time of release.

Agent Icebeezy

schuelma said:
Couple of points

1- Metroid isn't a top selling franchise..and it's probably going to do what its previous 2 iterations did. How does that send a message one way or the other?

Edit- And what if Metroid had sold great? Wouldn't that possibly scare 3rd parties that 1st party sales rule? Seems like its damned if you do damned if you don't.

1. 3rd party companies should expect similar sales if it isn't a licensed or popular brand. No, I don't see how companies would be scared. Microsoft's biggest game is an FPS and that still hasn't stopped the dearth of them on the 360

2. Capcom projected Dead Rising at 600k and it ended up doing twice as much. Capcom makes conservative estimates, unlike Namco.

Leondexter said:
Where's Carnival Games for Wii? I thought it was supposed to be selling so well, good demographic fit, all that jazz.
Yeah, I'm curious to know how much it sold. Maybe something a little under 100K? It has been ranking high on Amazon for so long.

schuelma said:
So Microsoft's 1st party juggernaut proves to 3rd parties that they shouldn't move to the Wii?
10 of the top 30 titles in software sales for 2007 (all systems rank) are 360 3rd party games.

So, yes, 3rd party titles sell very well on the 360..probably the best of any system out in fact (including PS2).

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Are you purposely ignoring the fact that MP3 isn't a system seller. It isn't Wii sports or Mario.

Your comparison is like a 3rd party saying "Okay, If football Manager 2008 doren't explode on 360, then we choose a different platform."

We have seen what type pf games appeal to the Wii fanbase. They like motion control, and they like a professional franchise. If any 3rd party is serious, then they should creat a Red Steel or a RE4 port. A quality game(or atleast a high profile game) that will get people's attention.

Putting shovelware and competing one on one with Mario Party by creating minigame compilations is retarded, and if they fail they have no one to blame but themselves.

All that said, this is still the first year and 3rd parties are changing their focus with the wii. Their 2008-9 is going to be vastly improved.

Grecco said:
I just dont see how you can use Metroid Prime as a barometer for third party sales. Its a afranchise that has been maligned by fans and shuned by Nintendo marketing. To this day fans still prefer 2D Metroids over Retros Briliance. (Mind you im probably on the 2D side).
MP3 is an extremely highly rated game on a console with no other "hardcore" games released since June (we'll ignore the embarrassment of Madden selling better on Xbox), and with some advertising (not lots, though). If a AAA-Nintendo-branded game can't sell well, what makes you think a new IP from a 3rd party will, especially if it's not AAA quality (but may still be good)?

The numbers will come once the development quality increases. Running your C team wont cut it anymore. (Trust me thats what companies like EA run on Wii).
I remember back when EA was the company that "got" the Wii with games like Blur, Tiger Woods, and Boogie.

Evlar

Banned
Of All Trades said:
So when you decided to compare million sellers with the US top ten, which is the topic of this thread, you were...?
talking about the kind of sales data that matters to decision makers. That was the point of my post. "Most games in top ten" is a fuzzy statistic, great for bragging rights but not very useful in board rooms. Worldwide sales, on the other hand, is important.

If you want to limit it to the US then Wii has four I think (Zelda, Wii Party, MP8, and WarioWare... uncertain about that last one). By the by, I do not believe any console boasts eight million sellers released since November in US NPD.

Gaborn said:
According to Wikipedia (not always reliable but better than nothing) Wii has 8 million selling games (as of July), 360 has 12, PS3 has 2. Considering the 360 had a year's head start and the PS3... didn't the Wii compares pretty favorably.

Well Wii Sports (a pack-in) is one of those titles and Wii Play (a controller) is another, so really it is 6. And since it is getting close to catching the 360 in the USA and passed the 360 world-wide, its software sales just don't match the 360.

. . . . and here come Nfans to flame me.

Top Bottom