• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have some issues analyzing RE4's sales. It sold nicely, yes, but it was also reduced price and it was also a pretty successful and popular game before it was even rereleased.

Does it say, "Wii owners want more meaty games," or does it say, "Cheap ports sell well," or does it say a combination of both, to what degree, and will this promote original content or more ports in the future?

GhaleonEB

Agent Icebeezy said:
That is what I mean and that is way more important than anything else in this thread. Software sales. Why should 3rd party care if Nintendo is making money for Nintendo. 90% of all 3rd party games that chart in the top 10 have been on the 360. Software sales is what drives this industry, and as I stated eariler, 3rd party is the most valuable commodity to have.
I'd somehow missed that stat. There's a lot of arguments I've seen about the level of 3rd party support for various systems, but those are the kind of numbers developers are scrutinizing like mad.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Shepherd said:
Are you saying that the Wii or PS3 will sell more software than the 360? :lol :lol :lol
Nintendo sold 27M units in software the first 6 months of this year. How much did Microsoft well?

FrankT

speculawyer said:
Well Wii Sports (a pack-in) is one of those titles and Wii Play (a controller) is another, so really it is 6. And since it is getting close to catching the 360 in the USA and passed the 360 world-wide, its software sales just don't match the 360.

. . . . and here come Nfans to flame me.

Wiki is straight up wrong as well on the 360 WW million sellers. Much, much higher.

Grecco

Of All Trades said:
MP3 is an extremely highly rated game on a console with no other "hardcore" games released since June (we'll ignore the embarrassment of Madden selling better on Xbox), and with some advertising (not lots, though). If a AAA-Nintendo-branded game can't sell well, what makes you think a new IP from a 3rd party will, especially if it's not AAA quality (but may still be good)?

I remember back when EA was the company that "got" the Wii with games like Blur, Tiger Woods, and Boogie.

1.Once again Metroid doesnt sell that well, Never has and never will until it goes back to 2D

and 2. You made my point for me. C-Team developed EA software.

Banned
Of All Trades said:
MP3 is an extremely highly rated game on a console with no other "hardcore" games released since June (we'll ignore the embarrassment of Madden selling better on Xbox), and with some advertising (not lots, though). If a AAA-Nintendo-branded game can't sell well, what makes you think a new IP from a 3rd party will, especially if it's not AAA quality (but may still be good)?
Wait, when did MP3 not sell well in the first place.

Even if it didn't exceed stupid expectations, it didn't bomb.

[/QUOTE=Of All Trades]I remember back when EA was the company that "got" the Wii with games like Blur, Tiger Woods, and Boogie.[/QUOTE]
They are one of the most successful 3rd parties on the wii. They just haven't made a breakout hit yet.

And they won't if they keep making their wii versions the worst developed ones(Madden)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Y2Kev said:
I have some issues analyzing RE4's sales. It sold nicely, yes, but it was also reduced price and it was also a pretty successful and popular game before it was even rereleased.

Does it say, "Wii owners want more meaty games," or does it say, "Cheap ports sell well," or does it say a combination of both, to what degree, and will this promote original content or more ports in the future?

True, but again I look at the publisher's internal expectations and RE4 smashed them.

RE:UC is probably a better test though, I agree.

schuelma

speculawyer said:
Well Wii Sports (a pack-in) is one of those titles and Wii Play (a controller) is another, so really it is 6. And since it is getting close to catching the 360 in the USA and passed the 360 world-wide, its software sales just don't match the 360.

FYI- Wii Sports is not packed in Japan and has sold 2M plus.

Hunter D

Y2Kev said:

It says, "Time for Street Fighter 4!"

The Sphinx said:
talking about the kind of sales data that matters to decision makers. That was the point of my post. "Most games in top ten" is a fuzzy statistic, great for bragging rights but not very useful in board rooms. Worldwide sales, on the other hand, is important.
Ok, which of the 8 worldwide games are 3rd party? Because that's pretty damn important in the board room.

And yes, top 10 matters a lot, because it indicates what games are capable of selling at full price for the publisher (before they start discounting to retail). Skate selling 175k in September is a lot more important to EA than Skate selling 175k over Jan to Mar.

Grecco

schuelma said:
RE:UC is probably a better test though, I agree.

Not really. On Rail Shooters kinda suck sales wise. I dont think stuff like House of the Dead 2, Virtua Cop and Time Crisis tore up the charts.

schuelma

Grecco said:
Not really. On Rail Shooters kinda suck sales wise. I dont think stuff like House of the Dead 2, Virtua Cop and Time Crisis tore up the charts.

True, but I think Capcom is really going to push the title and their own expectations are higher than for RE4.

Grecco said:
I'm inclined to agree, although this one has me because I get to play through Resident Evil with my roommate on co-op. Perhapst hat will be a hook for some..

rakka

Y2Kev said:
also helps that this port shits all over the majority of the wii lineup

1-D_FTW

All Metroid's sales should tell third parties is this: If you're ashamed of a game, don't publish it on the Wii.

Seriously, its been beaten to death: But NOA marketing of the series from day one has been ashamed of Metroid. It's aimed at an audience Nintendo doesn't like to associate with. What little marketing they do with it, hammers this point home. It's a shooter aimed at a certain male demographic. Nintendo is embarrassed by that. It's like the black sheep of the family. The little advertising they do reflects this.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in the board rooms of Sony right now...

They can try a patchwork of various cheaper SKUs that have less functionality than the best version and move more consoles than they have been averaging. But, in all reality its too late in North America. The decision to go with BluRay and a $600 pricetag sometime last Spring has proven to be an absolutely disastrous decision. There's nothing much more you can say about it. In effect, they decided to sacrifice their video game business in North America in an attempt to "win" the next-generation DVD format war.

And to even begin to suggest that Rachet & Uncharted will be the Sony saviours this holiday is completely LOLz-worthy given the fact that they are officially now 0-for-3 with Lair, Warhawk, and Heavenly Sword. While they should sell better than the 0-for-3ers, anything north of 300k+ is really pushing it.

Frillen said:
It's pretty unfair to make any drastic comments about Software sales when we only get the top 10. For all we know, the Wii could potentially have 5+ titles from 11th to 20th place.
Good point. I hope more info does leak.

MS did mention that the 360 got 6 out of the top 10 console titles, so we do know that #11 and #12 are 360 titles. (Stranglehold? and ?)

dirtmonkey37 said:
Weren't there rumors that if the PS3 performed consistently poorly at retail (as it has been), certain publishers would withdraw PS3 releases from their product repertoire?

What's funny is that it seems to be the complete opposite; more and more publishers are showing their support for the console. Lost Planet PS3 is only one of many titles that demonstrates this continued interest in the hardware despite its lackluster performance in the marketplace.
If PS3 doesn't move 3rd party software this Christmas, yes, I could see some 3rd party developers halting their PS3 development.

You only get a free pass for so long.

Slavik81 said:
There aren't any Wii games besides Metroid Prime 3 that DESERVE to be in the top ten. Maybe when developers have a good game on the system and it tanks they have the right to complain that their games aren't selling, but they can't not make games and then complain when consumers don't buy those games that don't exist.

Nearly every Wii title with critical praise has sold well.
Another good point . . . September was a pretty weak month for Wii titles.

Gaborn

speculawyer said:

I'm not going to flame you, but I will point out that Wii Sports is specifically NOT a pack in game in Japan, and it's sold well over a million copies there (I think it's over 2 million but I'm too lazy to double check) so it still counts because as a stand alone game it's still over 1 million units.

Banned
Of All Trades said:
Ok, which of the 8 worldwide games are 3rd party? Because that's pretty damn important in the board room.
Red Steel, Rayman and soon to be RE4. So yeah, obviously only Nintendo games sell

Wait, when did MP3 not sell well in the first place.

Even if it didn't exceed stupid expectations, it didn't bomb.
I consider a high-budget game with a 90 average on metacritic, which was one of Nintendo's major holiday franchises on the GC, and on a console with no other good software (and I'm being really kind on "good") released for at least two months before or after, only selling 375k to be not selling well as far as 3rd parties are concerned.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Grecco said:
1.Once again Metroid doesnt sell that well, Never has and never will until it goes back to 2D

dude, where were you when i was saying the exact same thing but people were all like 'MP1 AND MP2 SOLD MILLIONS"

Fredescu

speculawyer said:
Another good point . . . September was a pretty weak month for Wii titles.
By the same token, going on JJStones numbers, Wii game sales and non-Halo3 360 game sales were about eequal.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
No matter which console you are attached to, I think it is safe to say for all of us, that this month's NPD is NOT the result anyone would have predicted two E3s ago.

Red Steel, Rayman and soon to be RE4. So yeah, obviously only Nintendo games sell
So two launch titles and a discount port of one of the greatest and likely most expensive games of all time (which hasn't actually cracked 1M yet)?

GhaleonEB

I've had a hard time understanding the data on industry growth in the OP, so I tried formatting it so it is easier to follow. Spacing was causing a huge headache with formatting on GAF, so apologies in advance for the lines. I thought the big picture should be highlighted - there's some amazing stuff in here.

The industry is up 47% so far this year, and portable hardware is up, but portable software sales were actually down despite the larger installed bases. What happened in September last year? Was there a huge game released?

Total Video Games

Code:
Sep-06____________Sep-07__________Change_____YTD Sept 06_______YTD Sept 07______Change

$778.7 million____$1.36 billion___74%________$6.38 billion_____$9.37 billion____47%

Video Games Hardware

Console Hardware

Code:
Sep-06____________Sep-07__________Change_____YTD Sept 06_______YTD Sept 07______Change

$145.5 million____$418.6 million__188%_______$1.24 billion_____$2.69 billion____118%

Portable Game Hardware

Code:

$98.4 million_____$126.25 million__28%_______$789 million______$958.4 million___22%

Video Games Software

Console Software

Code:

$335.8 million____$550.5 million__64%________$2.65 billion_____$3.35 billion____26%

Portable Game Software

Code:

$109.6 million____$103.1 million__-6%________$897.6 million____$1.1 billion_____23%

Video Game Accessories

Code:

$89.5 million_____$157_million____76%________$805.8 million____$1.26 billion____57%

FrankT

Stinkles said:
No matter which console you are attached to, I think it is safe to say for all of us, that this month's NPD is NOT the result anyone would have predicted two E3s ago.

$599 US Dollars E3, uh, maybe.

tHoMNZ

wii is the new ipod. Its a fad for the nongamer (apart from a few software titles on the system that i love). I'm glad a real console actually won this round

I sorta expect to get the banstick for my opinion, i'm not trolling, its just what i think.

larvi

speculawyer said:

Well Wii Sports has moved over 1millon units in Japan where it isn't a pack-in so I can't see how that wouldn't be counted either way. As for not counting WiiPlay which contains hardware you could also say the same for games like DDR and Guitar Hero which wouldn't sell as well if they didn't have the bundled hardware. Even Halo3 legendary edition sales benefitted from the hardware (helmet) pack-in :lol

schuelma

Of All Trades said:
So two launch titles and a discount port of one of the greatest and likely most expensive games of all time (which hasn't actually cracked 1M yet)?

I'll ask the same damn question I've asked for the last 3 pages.

Tell me what 3rd party game deserves to sell a million copies world wide.

GhaleonEB

Stinkles said:
Quite the understatement, that.

Evlar

Banned
Of All Trades said:
I consider a high-budget game with a 90 average on metacritic, which was one of Nintendo's major holiday franchises on the GC, and on a console with no other good software (and I'm being really kind on "good") released for at least two months before or after, only selling 375k to be not selling well as far as 3rd parties are concerned.
August isn't holiday.

I understand you're trying to make the Wii look as bad as possible but we could at least get the calendar straight.

I swear a year or 2 from now Red Steel and Rayman will still be the poster children for "3rd party games fo sell on the Wii" argument.

Grecco

KeithFranklin said:
I swear a year or 2 from now Red Steel and Rayman will still be the poster children for "3rd party games fo sell on the Wii" argument.

Red Steel 2, Rayman Rabbids 2, Monster Hunter 3 and DQ 10 will be on that list too :p See what i did there.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Stinkles said:
How are the cocktail sausages?

DiddyBop

Those numbers are unreal. The videogame market keeps growing and growing. Soon more hollywood producers will want to make videogames. we'll start seein more book-videogame adaptions instead of movie adaptions, which woul dbe better anyways.

Banned
KeithFranklin said:
So the next time we talk about 360 games that sold over a million, I can cut out games released in 2006 and 2007?

Of All Trades said:
:lol I'm sorry, I didn't know there was some bullshit criteria for your argument.

Kintaro said:
I honestly can't understand it. How can the Wii keep selling like this? What the hell are people buying it for? What the hell? It took a 3.3 million megaton bomb to the face and came out smiling basically saying "Ok, you tried really hard this month, I'll let you squeeze by. Good shot."

This month tells me it's not even going to be close this holiday season. The gap between Wii/DS to 360 to PS3 is going to be laughably bad.

Unfortunately, it also indicates that people are buying it for WiiSports and are perfectly happy with it.

The Wii is a gold mine for Nintendo, but will it be a gold mine for everyone else?

schuelma

If GH3 Wii does well in October will that mean anything? Or will there be a new excuse as to why that "doesn't count"?

vilmer_ said:
Microsoft threw everything and the kitchen sink into September. These sales don't surprise me at all. With that said, they've already released their biggest title and this is probably the biggest surge in sales a 360 game/console will get this generation (or until Halo 4). I'm surprised the PS3 even broke 100k with the bombshell laden month microsoft had.
GTA IV could be bigger for the 360.

Gahiggidy said:
Nintendo sold 27M units in software the first 6 months of this year. How much did Microsoft well?

Wait, are you saying that Nintendo sold 27M units of software on the Wii only in the US (remember, this is an NPD thread) in the first 6 months of this year? With what... Paper Mario? I find this very hard to believe.

Edit... Nice tag by the way, fits your post:

(neutral) Gahiggidy
My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 30k Wii within minutes of opening.

Jumpman23

AstroLad said:
If you convert the systems in terms of DOLLARS EARNED (hint: companies care about DOLLARS), Wii beat the Xbox360 by a FUCKTON of money. Close to quadruple the dollars earned. Love the Xbox360 damage control though. :lol

FIXED. :lol

GenericPseudonym said:
You can argue Halo 3 hasn't been a huge system seller, but that's because its September. November and Decmber, the Christmas shopping season, will show just how powerful Halo 3 is at moving systems.

That's exactly right. 360 is Christmas gift material. So myself and my 13yr. son have to wait until Christmas morn before we get to play Halo 3. Nov & Dec will be huge for the 360.

Top Bottom